• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I don't doubt the existence of the five year plan, I doubt what are allegedly detailed on said plan.

By the time the non-insider crowd heard anything about it everything listed was things we already knew about except for Smash. How are we supposed to believe that last part when so far not a single character for Pass 2 has leaked that far in advance. Min Min was leaked by Imran subtly a few days before, Steve was leaked a mere 10 minutes before his reveal by Brush, and no one as far as I knew got Sephiroth OR Pyra/Mythra

It just doesn't add up
I know that some people in here may think that you're just being pessimistic, but I actually agree with you on this one. Given how well the previous characters from this season pass have been kept in secrecy, I don't buy that Crash in particular has leaked so far in advance to the other characters.

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
What if Imran is lying? lol
The two VOs are teasing something kinda big.. I think it's for Smash. And Nintendo this time is AWARE of it.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I don't doubt the existence of the five year plan, I doubt what are allegedly detailed on said plan.

By the time the non-insider crowd heard anything about it everything listed was things we already knew about except for Smash. How are we supposed to believe that last part when so far not a single character for Pass 2 has leaked that far in advance. Min Min was leaked by Imran subtly a few days before, Steve was leaked a mere 10 minutes before his reveal by Brush, and no one as far as I knew got Sephiroth OR Pyra/Mythra

It just doesn't add up
I'll put it this way as far as the contents of the 5 year plan:

Obviously the start of it was 2017, which was the N-Sane Trilogy so there's no question about that. In the magazine article I shared the image of (the original print before it was edited) specifically mentioned (or leaked because it wasn't known at the time in 2017 that there were gonna be ports for the N-Sane Trilogy) that we would get ports for N-Sane Trilogy for 2018 and the very next thing they said was that a new game would come out in 2019.

So 2017, 2018, and 2019 are without a doubt 110% legit within the plan itself.

For the mobile game: I am willing to believe that they had the idea of doing such when this plan was created but nothing concrete to really do much with since they wanted to see (I imagine) of how Crash did with the N-Sane Trilogy, the ports, and Nitro Fueled. But after seeing how well those mentioned three were doing in sales and engagement, they more then likely started work on the mobile game around that time (I assume at some point in late 2019 heading into 2020) by crafting up the idea, finding a developer (King, same people who did Candy Crush), and putting everything together to make the mobile game a reality.

For the 2020 slot (Crash 4): I am going to take a big guess and assume production started around mid 2019 since if we all remember those concept art images from the studio was 'leaked' that showed N.Tropy and Dingodile's concept art for the game, it was at first "debunked" but later then revealed that it was for Crash 4 It's About Time. The time of production starting in mid 2019 and a release in late 2020 makes sense and definitely doable based on the progression we saw from the start to finish.

For the 2021 slot: Now this one is without a doubt the one thing about the 5 year plan that I am very uncertain about. There's the rumors of Wumpa League, Smash, new game, cameo in Spyro, etc. And with the recent postings from Scott Whyte (Crash's VA from It's About Time) and Lex Lang (Cortex's VA), it's likely that we will have something Crash related revealed next month in June, since June has always (since 2016) been the month where Crash stuff either gets revealed or released on that month. But we can expect the 2021 slot to be revealed this year (since this year is his 25th anniversary, it wouldn't surprise me if something is revealed :))

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
After replaying/beating "Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy" last month and beating adventure mode in "Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled" and playing my fill.

I'm finally gonna make some time to play "Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time" this weekend.

I've been looking forward to playing it for some time now, But I don't plan 100% completion because I heard it's brutal and I don't have a lot of time for that, Maybe sometime in the future, So I'll just play at my own pace.

Really excited to see a new and long awaited take on the Crash Bandicoot franchise with it's new art style, characters, enemies, worlds, music and cutscenes.

Hopefully this playthrough of the franchise all lines up with Crash Bandicoot's Super Smash Bros debut at E3.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
There's one problem I'm having with the voice work possibly being for a smash trailer.

Smash trailers aren't made and finished a week before their reveals. They're usually made months in advance since they take so long to create. So if Lex and Scott are still doing voice work on this new Crash project they keep bringing up, then that makes me think that the current project they're working on isn't related to Smash. Especially if we keep thinking that E3 is where Crash gets revealed.
I was actually at a launch event in SoCal for Smash Ultimate, and Xander Mobius was there in person. I recall someone asked him when the Joker trailer was originally voice recorded, and he said it was done only three weeks before Joker’s reveal at The Game Awards. Take that as you will. Here’s a video proving that the launch event happened:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I am already more concerned over the imran part there are people already saying things like "imran is lying"
Imran only said that the voice actor's Tweet wasn't related to Smash. That's it.

No matter how much preparations are done to prevent salt, there are those that does it anyway.
View attachment 316107

With E3 on the way and two slots remaining, tension is more intense.
Thank you Wooloo! :love:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What I wouldn't give for all the "Crash Twinsanity" hubbub going on to come up fruitful.

Won't lie. If I had to pick between getting Ctash into Smash or getting a Crash Twinsanity remake with all the cut content, I'd easily choose the latter.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What I wouldn't give for all the "Crash Twinsanity" hubbub going on to come up fruitful.

Won't lie. If I had to pick between getting Ctash into Smash or getting a Crash Twinsanity remake with all the cut content, I'd easily choose the latter.
Ehhh. I never thought Twinsanity was very good, finished or not. I doubt Activision would do a remake of it anyway, considering how Crash 4 made all of the post-Naughty Dog games pretty much obsolete.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I was actually at a launch event in SoCal for Smash Ultimate, and Xander Mobius was there in person. I recall someone asked him when the Joker trailer was originally voice recorded, and he said it was done only three weeks before Joker’s reveal at The Game Awards. Take that as you will. Here’s a video proving that the launch event happened:

There's a fundamental difference though: Joker's reveal trailer had no characters actually moving their mouths except for Joker yelling "PERSONA!" with the Arsene reveal; it was all narration style. It's something that could conceivably be done under a time constraint

If this was for a Crash Bandicoot trailer, the dialogue would have to be done several months up to a YEAR out because the characters mouthes aren't anime lip-flaps that are easy to sync dialogue to, they're wild and expressive cartoons with very deliberate manners of speech. Just look at any Crash 4 cutscene

So I highly doubt this voice actor project is for a Crash Smash trailer. If anything a reveal trailer for the orange guy would probably just reuse voice clips they already have on file, and leave out Cortex since Crash is a very non-verbal character besides gibberish

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat Crash 4 earlier today, though I'm definitely not going for 100% completion. Getting alternate costumes isn't as tough as I thought (since the gems required combine the regular and inverted gems), but I died nearly 90 times on the final platforming level, and I can't imagine how it would be possible to beat that with three or less deaths, let alone deathless for the N. Sanely Perfect Run.

I enjoyed the game, even if some levels (some of the levels in the last two areas; Dino Dash) were extremely frustrating. I'm surprised that Cortex, Tawna, and Dingodile didn't get alternate costumes. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Crash or Spyro if they stick with a similar style of gameplay from this and the remasters.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Ehhh. I never thought Twinsanity was very good, finished or not. I doubt Activision would do a remake of it anyway, considering how Crash 4 made all of the post-Naughty Dog games pretty much obsolete.
I was always interested in the sequel that they had (somehow) planned that would take place with Crash trapped inside of a TV. Honestly, Twinsanity had some weird but very cool design and sound choices that still make me come back to it from time to time. It's this weird mishmash of a game that knows that it's bitten off too much to chew on, but still manages to have some humor at its own expense.

Except for the final cavern level. I'd have more fun reformatting my ****ing hard drive.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My "hot-take" is that Twinsanity does not hold up at all besides Cortex stealing the show, and that people are more enamored with what it could have been since it's a notoriously unfinished game with a ton left on the cutting room floor.

Dukefire

Smash Master
In case Crash Bandicoot isn't appearing for Ultimate's remaining DLC slots, WHO do you think may appear as a backup?

Again, whatever you want is your choice. When it comes to mudslinging from "leaks" and/or speculation, just handle it quietly.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
In case Crash Bandicoot isn't appearing for Ultimate's remaining DLC slots, WHO do you think may appear as a backup?

Again, whatever you want is your choice. When it comes to mudslinging from "leaks" and/or speculation, just handle it quietly.
I'd say Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell and Ryu Hayabusa. I know that they're all kinda safe bets, but I'm still pulling for them, and getting any mixture of them in the last 2 spots would make me incredibly happy 😊 As far as I'm concerned, Bandai Namco has earned a 2nd or 3rd fighter and Koei Tecmo has earned A fighter in general due to how well they've been working with Smash and Nintendo lately. All 3 characters also have a history on Nintendo platforms, so they'd fit well on the roster.

Also, I've got a feeling that certain other characters I'm pulling for are unlikely at this point, like Shantae and Spyro, as sad as that is for me to admit... 😟

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

For me, Reimu and Master Chief.

Touhou Project is effectively the indie game equivalent of Dragon Quest in Japan, and Touhou's been on the rise in terms of popularity.

As for Master Chief, we've seen a metric ton of stuff when it comes to Xbox Games Pass on Switch (From Switch teases to those redacted sections of the Apple VS Epic lawsuit paper) and this heavily-rumored Switch port of the Master Chief Collection, and if either one's getting revealed at E3 this year, Master Chief would be one hell of a finale for this Pass.

Speaking of DLC finales, we seem to be at a tricky situation: historically, there's been low-bar (underwhelming for some) finales for Smash content waves (Corrin and Bayonetta for Sm4sh, Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant for base game, and Byleth for FP1), but also historically, there's been multiple reveals at E3 (Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer at E3 2013, Palutena, Miis and Pac-Man at '14, Roy and Ryu at '15, Daisy and Ridley at '18, Hero and Banjo at '19, and had it not been canceled, Min Min and Steve at '20), and E3 2021 is pretty much around the corner. We've filled the conditions for BOTH of them, which is a rather strange predicament.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

If we are still taking the possibility of a western character, then i could see Rayman. I think the Mii Costumes are a likely indicator that he is not happening (plus he is not popular in Japan like Crash is) but i could be wrong, plus they have already been in contact with Nintendo, as opposed to Activision who we do not know if they even talked to Nintendo. I don't see Master Chief as an option at all.

Aside from that, i have no clue. This speculation scene of "EVERYBODY HAS A CHANCE" has had a Syndrome effect on me, When everybody has a chance, no one has it. I think it being announced at E3 could imply we could see a big reveal, but we had ROY of all people as an E3 reveal, plus DQ's heroes while popular and iconic in Japan, are sort of obscure everywhere else (Especially in the US, where E3 takes place) so there's no guarantee the E3 reveal is gonna be a character that satisfies the Smash community at large especially now due to how it fractured it is (although i should mention that previous reveals, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ridley fit this description)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Somewhere between Sora, Bandana Waddle Dee and Dr. Eggman.

Man, I really wish Crash was a base game character. It’d certainly take all of this suspense off my shoulders.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

I feel like people vastly overestimate Eggman's chances. His speculation came about as a realization that Smash could use more villains so "naturally" Eggman is the next logical step because "they just have to"

I honestly, truly feel like every character has just as much of a chance as anyone else. So far none of the Pass 2 picks have been truly heavily speculated characters since we all assumed Steve was dead after Banjo and that Sephiroth wouldn't happen because Cloud was already a hassle to get.

With all that in mind, I'm going to go with a pick I think everyone sleeps on: Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

He's a long overdue Bamco rep who could bring back Lloyd's costume, another fighting game rep and we all know Sakurai is a big FGC guy, and having the edge of having history with Nintendo as Link was in Soul Calibur 2 and has faced Nightmare before. Wouldn't it be something for a reveal to stage a big rematch between the two?

1621739948654.png

Other than that, I would go with Sora, a character everyone writes off but is not as impossible as people make him out to be, but I'm leaning more Nightmare

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I feel like people vastly overestimate Eggman's chances. His speculation came about as a realization that Smash could use more villains so "naturally" Eggman is the next logical step because "they just have to"

I honestly, truly feel like every character has just as much of a chance as anyone else. So far none of the Pass 2 picks have been truly heavily speculated characters since we all assumed Steve was dead after Banjo and that Sephiroth wouldn't happen because Cloud was already a hassle to get.

With all that in mind, I'm going to go with a pick I think everyone sleeps on: Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

He's a long overdue Bamco rep who could bring back Lloyd's costume, another fighting game rep and we all know Sakurai is a big FGC guy, and having the edge of having history with Nintendo as Link was in Soul Calibur 2 and has faced Nightmare before. Wouldn't it be something for a reveal to stage a big rematch between the two?

View attachment 316188

Other than that, I would go with Sora, a character everyone writes off but is not as impossible as people make him out to be, but I'm leaning more Nightmare
I always forget about Nightmare and Soulcalibur. Though I'd prefer Sophitia myself.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
The ones I'd really love to see besides Crash are Phoenix Wright or a Mortal Kombat rep (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden are all good choices). But there are also a lot of characters I'd like to see, they're just not at the top of my list.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

In terms of a purely Western rep, Ahri or someone else from League of Legends. It’s a massive western IP and even enjoyed in Japan

we may also get another first party like Octoling, or a Japan-appealing character like Reimu

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So what do y'all think of this? Apparently Cortex's VA responded to a fan asking if the project was related to Smash by saying "I wish":

As I said in the DLC thread, this is honestly the most concerning news thus far. The Imran comment doesn't really tell us much. It's possible I'm reading too much into it, but saying "I wish" seems to indicate one of two things:

1. If Crash is in the game, there will be no voice work done for Cortex (or at least by this VA).

2. Crash isn't coming at all.

Honestly I'm starting to feel like it's best to set my expectations to zero at the moment.

Idk... I think speculation is starting to get to me.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So what do y'all think of this? Apparently Cortex's VA responded to a fan asking if the project was related to Smash by saying "I wish":

As I said in the DLC thread, this is honestly the most concerning news thus far. The Imran comment doesn't really tell us much. It's possible I'm reading too much into it, but saying "I wish" seems to indicate one of two things:

1. If Crash is in the game, there will be no voice work done for Cortex (or at least by this VA).

2. Crash isn't coming at all.

Honestly I'm starting to feel like it's best to set my expectations to zero at the moment.

If it makes you feel better, speculation has been getting to a LOT of people. It's why so many want this ride to end already.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

I think that's for the best. I mentioned in another post, but I've been down the road of "This charater is a lock! he HAS to be! It just makes sense! All of these things are lining up!" with Geno and we all saw how that ended.

Something else I thought of, everyone points to "clock theory" and the "nitro" picture from Sakurai's Pic Of The Day
1621785092943.png

1621785134867.png

If these are really meant to be references to Crash, I think that's a hit AGAINST him. Sakurai does NOT hint at upcoming content in his tweets

It's a point he has reiterated more than once in his very rare english tweets since even he knows how absolutely feral Americans go for Smash speculation to the point where he was tired of it all the way back in 2018

Faso115

Smash Lord
Best way to go about this is to check out from speculation altogether till an announcement is made. For your mental sake, i hope some of you do it cause it can get taxing after a while.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Best way to go about this is to check out from speculation altogether till an announcement is made. For your mental sake, i hope some of you do it cause it can get taxing after a while.
I don't know about you guys, but I am okay in the mind. I don't think I need a break, at least, not yet.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

These are who I think have a decent shot, and the bolded are who I think are most likely:

Dante
Dragonborn
Master Chief

Sora
Rayman
Tails
Eggman

I honestly think we'll see at least one of these characters come E3 if Crash doesn't make it.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Here's my surefire way to judge if a leak/theory is true or not. It works 100% every time.

Step 1: Find a leak/theory that you like that holds a character you have always wanted
Step 2: It will never be real
Step 3: Any person dealing with said "leaks", even claiming to have sources, is just predicting at best
Step 4: Play the game

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, leaks, rumors, and theories for me aren't about hoping it's true or not. I actually find it fun thinking about them, speculating on whether or not it's true, and in some cases getting creative with it. At this rate, rumors and leaks you find anywhere are basically speculative fanfiction, which is alright. Sometimes, there's the oversaturated stuff (Like, how many times have you seen a leak that had Doom Slayer or Banjo or Geno?), but then there's the more creative stuff (I mean, nobody would think to make a fake leak of a concert of all things). Granted, leaks coming true are just added bonuses like the Ken leak or the SNK trademark leak, but for the most part, it's just some fanfiction and that's okay.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think that's for the best. I mentioned in another post, but I've been down the road of "This charater is a lock! he HAS to be! It just makes sense! All of these things are lining up!" with Geno and we all saw how that ended.

Something else I thought of, everyone points to "clock theory" and the "nitro" picture from Sakurai's Pic Of The Day
View attachment 316221
View attachment 316222

If these are really meant to be references to Crash, I think that's a hit AGAINST him. Sakurai does NOT hint at upcoming content in his tweets

It's a point he has reiterated more than once in his very rare english tweets since even he knows how absolutely feral Americans go for Smash speculation to the point where he was tired of it all the way back in 2018

To be fair, I think the situations with Crash and Geno are a bit different, but I get what you're saying.

Also, I don't believe Sakurai has ever flat out said he doesn't give hints. That's probably why the subject is still debated to this day. For example, It's hard to argue that it wasn't a hint when Sakurai mentioned his "red eyes" shortly before the direct that revealed Castlevania and K. Rool.

EDIT: It's also possible that those pics were just references because Sakurai is a gamer too at the end of the day, and have nothing to do with whether or a not Crash is actually coming to Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair, I think the situations with Crash and Geno are a bit different, but I get what you're saying.

Also, I don't believe Sakurai has ever flat out said he doesn't give hints. That's probably why the subject is still debated to this day. For example, It's hard to argue that it wasn't a hint when Sakurai mentioned his "red eyes" shortly before the direct that revealed Castlevania and K. Rool.

EDIT: It's also possible that those pics were just references because Sakurai is a gamer too at the end of the day, and have nothing to do with whether or a not Crash is actually coming to Smash.
wrt dlc i think he did give hints in the tweets, like how Sephiroth was hinted at with "make sure sound is on" and now that I think abt it... Pyra and Mythra were hinted at with the two "hoho"s cause he said "hoho" twice. cuz two characters in one

yeah that's my galaxy brain moment

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I remember a time when before E3 2019 when someone asked Grant Kirkhope if Banjo would be coming to Smash, and he said:

"Don't hold your breath"

E3 2019 comes around and what do you know? Banjo was revealed for Smash.

So Lex's comment about "I wish!" is prob the nicest deconfirmation IF it was a deconfirmation. At this point, I would much rather see for ourselves on what this project is before we call one of the scenarios dead. Just don't want to rule out the Smash aspect.. yet.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
They were... why are people under the impression that Sakurai gives hints in his pic of the days for Ultimate, just because he MIGHT have done it (according to fans) a couple of times during Smash 4? I figured it was obvious to everyone that he wants to surprise us with the fighter reveals, but people really think he's secretly providing hints as to whose coming eventually because that's how starved they are for stuff to talk about, debate, write articles on, whatever. Setting themselves up, letting their theories fester for weeks and months on end, before it comes out that they meant nothing after all.

It's honestly getting kind of scary seeing how people who are that obsessed with Smash speculation behaving like this, especially during Ultimate's run. And I'm actually concerned about what's going to happen after the final fighter gets revealed, and it's not one of the more popular requested characters...

Last edited:
Top Bottom