• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
1621362710417.png

I freaking love Walmart Canada Gaming. The constant love and support for Crash has always been good and genuine!

(No this does not mean anything as far as Crash to Smash confirmed 110%, tho it's always awesome to see that much genuine support from them! Maybe it could hold up for the real deal, but we'll see. Don't put too much eggs into that one yet.)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
How credible, if a leaker at all, is Walmart Canada Gaming, anyway? Should they be trusted?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm fairly certain this is just a random tweet sent out that wants us to think on it as possibly being Smash-related, when in reality there's nothing to it. Don't take the bait.
I thought so. They’re hyping us up for nothing.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Don’t Pyra and Mythra have their English AND Japanese VOs tho? It was to my understanding that this was for the announcer and crowd cheers in languages other than English/Japanese/Korean only
So I've been trying to look into this theory further, and I think I've got it figured out.

FP1 characters all had different crowd cheers depending on the language selected. This includes European crowd cheers. This is not the case with FP2. They all have a single crowd cheer aside from Pythra which have a cheer for their Japanese names as well.

All of this indicates that the Smash team has started to extremely reduce the amount of voice work that is done for the game. The theory postulates that series which have had a lot of European voices lines/cheers in the past are unlikely to get new representation in order to remain consistent.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played a bit more of Crash 4 today - I reached the New Orleans-inspired level (at least, I think it's New Orleans inspired), played as Dingodile for the first time, and unlocked Coco's classic costume. It was all fun, though I'm definitely not going to aim for 100% completion - much like with Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, just beating the game is enough for me. (The idea of dying less than three times on these levels, let alone doing a deathless run, just seems absurd)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up:

Hopefully it's more than just COD...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Just a head's up:

Hopefully it's more than just COD...
I'm wondering if we should be concerned about this in regards to Crash making it... Gah... I just want E3 to be over with already!

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm wondering if we should be concerned about this in regards to Crash making it... Gah... I just want E3 to be over with already!
I fail to see why this would have any impact on Smash tbh. It's like thinking whatever microsoft or square enix did back in 2019's presentations would've had any impact on banjo or hero getting in regardless. Smash is celebrating gaming on their own, even despite if the characters they include are getting new games or not as we already saw with some inclusions, heh.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I fail to see why this would have any impact on Smash tbh. It's like thinking whatever microsoft or square enix did back in 2019's presentations would've had any impact on banjo or hero getting in regardless. Smash is celebrating gaming on their own, even despite if the characters they include are getting new games or not as we already saw with some inclusions, heh.
I suppose it just makes sense to me that a company would want to be part of an event where their character was being shown off. I have to wonder if a company has ever NOT been present during an E3 where Smash adds their character.

I'm fully willing to admit that I might be paranoid. I have too much time to think!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I suppose it just makes sense to me that a company would want to be part of an event where their character was being shown off. I have to wonder if a company has ever NOT been present during an E3 where Smash adds their character.

I'm fully willing to admit that I might be paranoid. I have too much time to think!
Well let me put it like this. The characters were negotiated back when obviously Pass 2 was decided, years ago. The order of the characters doesn't change, it goes as planned, specially since they are working on 3 characters at the same time all the time and they gotta release them as they have them ready, there really is no luxury of halting one character's development and rushing another, it's not even realistic to think they would do that. So say Crash is next but for some current situation Activision had to retire from going to E3 due to whatever reasons they encountered… would that mean or change anything for Crash's reveal? The answer is "not really", and it's not like they could do anything else about it since E3 is only once a year and we are definitely not getting CP11 at the game awards, it will happen way earlier than that. So really, it doesn't matter if the company that owns the character is around the event where the character is revealed. That's how I see it anyways. It seems like an unnecessary worry to me. Smash reveals are not dependent of anyone else but Nintendo and Sakurai's team themselves.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm trying to gather up all the evidence in favor of Crash. All I can think of is that so-called "five year plan" from Activision that leaked but no one seems to have actually ever seen and is on "dude trust me" status.

What else is there? I don't mean like "He's an icon so he makes sense" I'm talking like, actual evidence that could seriously point to his inclusion coming down the line

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I'm trying to gather up all the evidence in favor of Crash. All I can think of is that so-called "five year plan" from Activision that leaked but no one seems to have actually ever seen and is on "dude trust me" status.

What else is there? I don't mean like "He's an icon so he makes sense" I'm talking like, actual evidence that could seriously point to his inclusion coming down the line
I don't think there really IS anything that actually, directly, points to Crash possibly coming to Smash besides that "5 Year Plan"

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but I feel like Crash being an icon really is the only thing going for him at this point. Don't get me wrong, that's still a pretty big thing, but... after what happened with TFB, I'm not too sure if he's gonna have the "relevancy" card for much longer.

And before any of you mention Activision's claims, keep in mind that this is ACTIVISION we're talking about. If there's any video game company willing to lie to the face of its fanbase for free brownie points, it's them. It wouldn't even the first time!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but I feel like Crash being an icon really is the only thing going for him at this point. Don't get me wrong, that's still a pretty big thing, but... after what happened with TFB, I'm not too sure if he's gonna have the "relevancy" card for much longer.
TBF, he would've been decided on back in 2019, way before the whole TFB debacle. CTR:NF was still going pretty strong around that time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
TBF, he would've been decided on back in 2019, way before the whole TFB debacle. CTR:NF was still going pretty strong around that time.
That and the N. Sane Trilogy/Nitro Fuel designs likely would've been what Sakurai and the development team likely used since the original trilogy is by far the most iconic depiction of Crash and Crash 4 was still in development

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
That and the N. Sane Trilogy/Nitro Fuel designs likely would've been what Sakurai and the development team likely used since the original trilogy is by far the most iconic depiction of Crash and Crash 4 was still in development
Actually I'd argue that if Crash is joining, it'll be his Crash 4 design they use. Since the 90's and up until Crash Nitro Fueled, Crash has always had a difference in design between Japan and America, even though it was never reflected in-game and was only relegated to box art.

1621475020924.png

1621474904878.png

1621474983488.png

But this all changed when Crash 4 came along, it's the first time in the series history that Crash WASN'T 'toonified' for the Japanese audience and he kept his original look.

1621475108878.png

This redesign marks a sort of 'unification' for Crash Bandicoot's appearance throughout all regions. With that in mind, I feel like Activison might seriously push to use this new Crash to keep with that trend going.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Actually I'd argue that if Crash is joining, it'll be his Crash 4 design they use. Since the 90's and up until Crash Nitro Fueled, Crash has always had a difference in design between Japan and America, even though it was never reflected in-game and was only relegated to box art.

View attachment 315835

View attachment 315833
View attachment 315834

But this all changed when Crash 4 came along, it's the first time in the series history that Crash WASN'T 'toonified' for the Japanese audience and he kept his original look.

View attachment 315836

This redesign marks a sort of 'unification' for Crash Bandicoot's appearance throughout all regions. With that in mind, I feel like Activison might seriously push to use this new Crash to keep with that trend going.
Again, I doubt that. The designs you show were only for the box artwork of the games, the actual in game graphics didn't change for Crash. That, and there would've been issues if Crash 4 ended up doing poorly with audiences, especially since redesigns like this and Crash of the Titans especially didn't go over well

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I can admit that I really was hoping for Rayman though I will still be really happy if Crash makes it in as the E3 reveal. I enjoyed his past games as a little kid and seeing a sony esque rep finally in smash would be so cool to see. Working hard on my last 3 for smash episodes in anticipation for E3, though if I got time, I may consider making a Crash Bandicoot one.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A big thing that makes me confident in Crash is the fact that Nintendo seems interested in Crash. They acknowledge him being an icon twice and even put him in that one video talking about video game characters people recognize alongside Nintendo's top dogs, Spyro and Sonic, That, combined with all the recent games being on the Switch and Crash generally being popular in the West and having an audience in Japan, would make him a valuable pick in Nintendo's eyes.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
One thing I am putting in my giant Crash writeup is one simple thing: Nintendo has their finger on the pulse for what would create hype or who are fan favorites.

Granted, let's play devil's advocate for a second and say fan demand is not end all be all. Just look at Geno for instance. But the number of newcomers that directly had fan demand play a primary role in their inclusion combined with those that were still big fan favorites in terms of either reception or demand is basically everyone. Byleth, Incineroar, Plant, and to a lesser extent Min Min and Terry (although I would say the overwhelming positive reception he got down the line after his reveal makes him not count) is all you can point to. Pythra (mainly more XC2 content) was very popular in Japan. Joker and Sephiroth, even if not titans of speculation like K Rool or Banjo, still got a strong response. I would say that while fan demand is not an end all be all, being popular at least for this game is a boon. And its no secret Crash is popular now in speculation and has been for a while.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
One thing I am putting in my giant Crash writeup is one simple thing: Nintendo has their finger on the pulse for what would create hype or who are fan favorites.

Granted, let's play devil's advocate for a second and say fan demand is not end all be all. Just look at Geno for instance. But the number of newcomers that directly had fan demand play a primary role in their inclusion combined with those that were still big fan favorites in terms of either reception or demand is basically everyone. Byleth, Incineroar, Plant, and to a lesser extent Min Min and Terry (although I would say the overwhelming positive reception he got down the line after his reveal makes him not count) is all you can point to. Pythra (mainly more XC2 content) was very popular in Japan. Joker and Sephiroth, even if not titans of speculation like K Rool or Banjo, still got a strong response. I would say that while fan demand is not an end all be all, being popular at least for this game is a boon. And its no secret Crash is popular now in speculation and has been for a while.
Quick question: how good is my fantasy roster as picking characters people would recognize?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Okay I'm determined to get to the bottom of this so-called "Five Year Plan" document that's said to exist but no one has ever seen. The earliest articles I can find about it's existence are from 2018

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/02/activision-five-year-plan-crash-bandicoot/
https://www.destructoid.com/stories...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

The fact that it's apparently hung around this long lends credence that it might be real but... this article makes no mention of his supposed Smash appearance. If this is the earliest known sighting of it, why wouldn't this have been brought to our attention way back when we were speculating about stuff like The Grinch Leak?

The earliest mention I can find of the smash-related aspect of this was from this guy seven months ago...

Honestly... I'm beginning to feel like the document DOES exist, but the Smash aspect was only made up to be attention-grabbing.... The Smash aspect of this should have gotten out there WAY earlier and not as recent as it did

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I think and something I'll be mentioning more indepth (a decent amount) about on a video I'm working on:

The 5 year plan is 110% legitimate, no doubt in my mind.

The ONLY thing up for debate about it (imo) is the 2021 slot that it has within (no OTR = On the Run would not count because it has it's own slot) and I honestly believe we'll know what it'll be next month in June. But if not? September for sure.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Okay I'm determined to get to the bottom of this so-called "Five Year Plan" document that's said to exist but no one has ever seen. The earliest articles I can find about it's existence are from 2018

https://www.ubergizmo.com/2018/02/activision-five-year-plan-crash-bandicoot/
https://www.destructoid.com/stories...-crash-bandicoot-involves-switch-486327.phtml

The fact that it's apparently hung around this long lends credence that it might be real but... this article makes no mention of his supposed Smash appearance. If this is the earliest known sighting of it, why wouldn't this have been brought to our attention way back when we were speculating about stuff like The Grinch Leak?

The earliest mention I can find of the smash-related aspect of this was from this guy seven months ago...

Honestly... I'm beginning to feel like the document DOES exist, but the Smash aspect was only made up to be attention-grabbing.... The Smash aspect of this should have gotten out there WAY earlier and not as recent as it did
Makes sense, the DMC 5 leak had a similar situation when it got most of the stuff right but the Dante in smash part was completely false.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
What's gonna happen if neither of the last 2 fighters are Crash? What're you all gonna do if that happens? Is it gonna be the Geno fans all over again? Cause that's what I think is gonna happen...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Source

"This is referring to Crash, with Imran confidently saying no.
First there was Nate deconfirming Crash, and now this.
Now I dont believe Imran or Nate know who is next, but I think a few leakers seem to be aware that Crash is NOT happening, and are comfortable with saying they don't expect him."
- GameFaqs

Deconfirmation? Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom