• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Any thoughts on why? As far as western reps go I'd say he's one of the biggest along side Crash and Master Chief.
I don't really know myself. He just seems like an unlikely pick to me... that's all I've got unfortunately. Though Master Chief would be cool since Halo 3 is my all-time favorite shooter.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Something about Dragonborn just doesn't seem fitting for Smash. Can't say why exactly, but it just doesn't. Maybe the customizable character thing, maybe being from a more gritty game than pretty much anyone in Smash but maybe Snake.

If any Bethesda rep gets in I'd put my bet on Doomguy. He's got a long history, has been on Nintendo consoles for ages, and Doom had a massive impact on the gaming industry.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
What do y'all think about Dragonborn showing up at E3? Do they have a shot?
Not at E3 no. E3 tends to be either First Parties, or Family Friendly Character Reveals. Dragonborn honestly doesn't really make sense for Fighters Pass at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Crash's biggest competition for E3 this year is Rayman and Tracer.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What's funny and what I don't see people mention that while a "Western Character" has more of an uphill battle to get into Smash compared to a Japanese one because of language barriers, local contact and etc.

The one big advantage that they do have over their eastern counterparts is that their a lot more bulletproof to getting "Spirited/Mii'd" compared to them and it's probably a big reason why Crash is still in the running compared to the other two potential characters who have likely been deconfirmed as of just recently.

Not that it's impossible for it to happen, But I feel a hell of lot more confident about his chances of not getting deconfirmed via that route compared to your average Japanese 3rd party character because it just doesn't make sense for the effort to really be minor/worth it.
Speaking of which, it's weird Rayman hasn't gotten Mii costumed yet when his follow Ubisoft brothers already have. It's a little suspicious.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just saw this video about a potential Crash moveset.

I'm not sure how well an Aku Aku crate would work for a down special, and the angel Crash seems unnecessary (though he admits that's probably the case), but other than that, I like how it provides sources for all of Crash's moves to make it clearer how his normal/Smash attacks could work and where they could come from, and aside from those two moves that I have concerns about, the rest of it is great.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't really know myself. He just seems like an unlikely pick to me... that's all I've got unfortunately. Though Master Chief would be cool since Halo 3 is my all-time favorite shooter.
Something about Dragonborn just doesn't seem fitting for Smash. Can't say why exactly, but it just doesn't. Maybe the customizable character thing, maybe being from a more gritty game than pretty much anyone in Smash but maybe Snake.

If any Bethesda rep gets in I'd put my bet on Doomguy. He's got a long history, has been on Nintendo consoles for ages, and Doom had a massive impact on the gaming industry.
I can't see either, but I'd say Dragonborn probably has a better shot than Doom, mostly because Doom has little to no Japanese presence AFAIK.
I'm trying to scope out the competition since obviously I want to see Crash. Thank you for your thoughts.

Dragonborn seems unlikely to me, but still possible. The Vault Boy Mii costume and the fact that his abilities would be similar to the last two fighters makes me doubt it.

Who do y'all think we could see at E3 beside Crash?

Not at E3 no. E3 tends to be either First Parties, or Family Friendly Character Reveals. Dragonborn honestly doesn't really make sense for Fighters Pass at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Crash's biggest competition for E3 this year is Rayman and Tracer.
Interesting. We have to keep in mind that Snake was revealed at E3, but perhaps that was an exception? If we take this as truth it would seem that Crash doesn't have very much competition at all IMHO.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
In terms of who can challenge Crash Bandicoot as the next potential "Western Character", The ones that mainly come to mind to me are Master Chief and Rayman out of all the major western companies I can think of there the only ones that make sense to me.

Master Chief can definitely carry the weight of an E3 announcement and then some and while I have nothing against Rayman, But I still kind of question if he's "E3 material", Certainly not impossible, I still think he lacks a certain amount of "Star Power" for an E3 reveal.

Rayman to me feels like an ordinary Direct reveal.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Master Chief can definitely carry the weight of an E3 announcement and then some and while I have nothing against Rayman, But I still kind of question if he's "E3 material", Certainly not impossible, But I still think he lacks a certain amount of "Star Power" for an E3 reveal.
You're kidding right? Halo was a MASSIVE success during the 2000s, how does Master Chief lack any kind of "Star Power"? He's probably on par WITH Crash as far as recognizability goes, and in my opinion, he's far more well-known than Rayman.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
You're kidding right? Halo was a MASSIVE success during the 2000s, how does Master Chief lack any kind of "Star Power"? He's probably on par WITH Crash as far as recognizability goes, and in my opinion, he's far more well-known than Rayman.
I think that part was indeed talking about Rayman and it got formatted somewhat strangely.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I think that part was indeed talking about Rayman and it got formatted somewhat strangely.
Aww s*** you're right! My fault ChunkySlugger!

Interesting. We have to keep in mind that Snake was revealed at E3, but perhaps that was an exception? If we take this as truth it would seem that Crash doesn't have very much competition at all IMHO.
Well, Snake was the first-ever third-party character announced for Smash Bros. at that time, so that in itself is pretty iconic and worthy of an E3 reveal. But even without that, Metal Gear Solid is an iconic series on it's own still worthy of an E3 reveal.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The latter part was intended for Rayman not Master Chief, But I'm sure you have already been corrected.

While it's subjective, Most can agree that Master Chief and Crash Bandicoot can definitely carry an E3 reveal.

Rayman is kind of in a gray area that most people don't know what to make of, He's definitely not a nobody, But he's also not one of the major video game characters that immediately come to mind as a heavy hitter for Smash or around the level or tier of Crash and Chief.

I just wanna state that I'm not hating on Rayman, I respect and like him and think he's a perfectly "Solid" candidate/addition for Smash, That being said I personally still think he's more suited for a regular Nintendo direct reveal rather than an E3 style one.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The weird thing about Rayman is that he's iconic but not if that makes any sense. He's somewhat popular in the west while in Japan he's not that known. Plus, Rayman seems to be a middle tier platform mascot as he's nowhere as recongnizable as Mario, Sonic or Crash. I would even say Banjo & Kazooie are almost more recongnizable than Rayman.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The weird thing about Rayman is that he's iconic but not if that makes any sense. He's somewhat popular in the west while in Japan he's not that known. Plus, Rayman seems to be a middle tier platform mascot as he's nowhere as recongnizable as Mario, Sonic or Crash. I would even say Banjo & Kazooie are almost more recongnizable than Rayman.
Was bored and looking for rayman discussion and stumbled across this thread. I think y'all are underselling Ray a bit
Screenshot_20210404-185317_Kiwi Browser.jpg

Sure he's not as famous as Mario, Sonic and Crash, but he's still pretty popular with the seires selling around 30 mil.

Oh while I'm hear might as well say crash would be great in smash, we need alot more of characters who are visually unique, like smash use to be!

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Was bored and looking for rayman discussion and stumbled across this thread. I think y'all are underselling Ray a bit
View attachment 309970
Sure he's not as famous as Mario, Sonic and Crash, but he's still pretty popular with the seires selling around 30 mil.

Oh while I'm hear might as well say crash would be great in smash, we need alot more of characters who are visually unique, like smash use to be!
It's a lot harder than you think to make 87 characters feel unique.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Like you know, Crash being that crazy and weird dude with big ears and nose that can't talk and expresses himself with his expressions and vocal noises instead of another human character.
Spoke my mind

This is biased I know but platformer reps tend to be very visually unique compared to jrpg or human like characters. I like human characters too but when they make up most of a DLC it starts to feel eh

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Pretty much my main problem with the fighter pass as a whole from a visual standpoint it lacks variety.

I really want to see another fighter in the pass that's just oozing charm, personality, exaggerated expressions and use oversized fist/limbs in fight.

Banjo-Kazooie is really the only one who brought that via DLC and Crash Bandicoot immediately comes to mind who is absolutely a character right up this alley.

**** like this absolutely makes me smile and laugh.

acz77mz6bhe51.jpg
SSB4_-_Diddy_Kong_Screen-6.jpg
D8zX5TmUcAAqbUa.jpg

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Rayman definitely has a good shot. Ubisoft did develop Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle so they already have a close relationship with Nintendo.
It could happen, but I agree with ChunkySlugger72 ChunkySlugger72 . I just don't think he's quite big enough for E3. Then again, if he's all they had... Regardless, I would honestly be surprised to see Rayman at this point given all the Ubisoft content that's already in the game...

Aww s*** you're right! My fault ChunkySlugger!

Well, Snake was the first-ever third-party character announced for Smash Bros. at that time, so that in itself is pretty iconic and worthy of an E3 reveal. But even without that, Metal Gear Solid is an iconic series on it's own still worthy of an E3 reveal.
Oh I know MGS was worthy of being an E3 reveal. I was telling SWSU SWSU to keep Snake in mind since they said E3 Smash reveals tend to be family friendly characters. For the most part they're right though.

The one thing crash has over Master Chief is having more games at nintendo consoles. Thats about it really
I'd say there's a bit more. Crash Bandicoot is older and more kid friendly than Halo as well, which Nintendo tends to heavily gravitate towards. And I'm not sure if they would care, but Crash would diversify the pass from a visual standpoint like everyone else is saying.

Had a dream Crash got in. Sucks to wake up and be back to just hoping it happens.
Yea that really sucks. I think that's happened to me a couple of times now actually... lol

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Rayman definitely has a good shot. Ubisoft did develop Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle so they already have a close relationship with Nintendo.
Crash and Rayman being the last two characters sounds like one of those "too good to be true" scenarios.

Had a dream Crash got in. Sucks to wake up and be back to just hoping it happens.
This happened to me but with Sora. One of those dreams you wish you'd never wake up from.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Just a head's up, Nintendo is confirmed to be coming to E3. This'll be Crash make or break moment. If he's not there, then don't be surprised if he's not in the Pass.
I just saw! Now we just need that direct date! I'm excited no matter who it is honestly...

On an unrelated note, how is this not a meme yet:

2021040317014000-4CE3B82743E8DF075946B6F42DD8071D.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
On an unrelated note, how is this not a meme yet:

View attachment 310213
You can't force something to become a meme, it takes time. It took Big Chungus until 2018 for people to learn his existance, and that short came out before most people were even BORN.

Speaking of Big Chungus, Warner Bros. actually made him canon recently via their Looney Toons mobile game. I know Activision has acknowledged the Woah Crash meme, but what if they took it a step further..?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You can't force something to become a meme, it takes time. It took Big Chungus until 2018 for people to learn his existance, and that short came out before most people were even BORN.

Speaking of Big Chungus, Warner Bros. actually made him canon recently via their Looney Toons mobile game. I know Activision has acknowledged the Woah Crash meme, but what if they took it a step further..?
I mean plenty of currently popular stuff gets memed. I'm js to me it seems like the perfect "diverse reaction" image.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean plenty of currently popular stuff gets memed. I'm js to me it seems like the perfect "diverse reaction" image.
Speaking of memes, you know what else should have been one?

This.

I am personally not that into the Crash Woah meme.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think some of you guys are giving Dragonborn less credit than he deserves. Japan loves Skyrim. It was the first western game to get a perfect score in Famitsu. Heck Skyrim inspired BOTW. If there is any western character who can challenge Crash, it's Dragonborn.

But I don't want to derail this thread. If anyone wants to continue the Dragonborn discussion, you are welcomed in the Dragonborn support thread. I have some good friends in there that would be happy to have more Skyrim talk.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think some of you guys are giving Dragonborn less credit than he deserves. Japan loves Skyrim. It was the first western game to get a perfect score in Famitsu. Heck Skyrim inspired BOTW. If there is any western character who can challenge Crash, it's Dragonborn.

But I don't want to derail this thread. If anyone wants to continue the Dragonborn discussion, you are welcomed in the Dragonborn support thread. I have some good friends in there that would be happy to have more Skyrim talk.
I don't think it's necessarily derailing to talk about Crash's competition. Dragonborn COULD be the one that takes the E3 spot. He's probably one of the biggest contenders IMHO.

Him and MAYBE a Sonic character like Eggman or even Tails. I'm curious about what everyone here thinks of that as well. I know Tails is a costume, but I don't think that's the end all be all of deconfirmations especially since Rex was considered to be playable after his Mii costume was revealed.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Dragonborn definitely has the potential on paper, it just would seem out of place to me. If I try to imagine a Smash roster with dragonborn, it just inherently feels fake.

Not that I haven't been wrong before, I never thought Steve would make it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't think it's necessarily derailing to talk about Crash's competition. Dragonborn COULD be the one that takes the E3 spot. He's probably one of the biggest contenders IMHO.

Him and MAYBE a Sonic character like Eggman or even Tails. I'm curious about what everyone here thinks of that as well. I know Tails is a costume, but I don't think that's the end all be all of deconfirmations especially since Rex was considered to be playable after his Mii costume was revealed.
To be fair, Rex was a unique case. He could only be purchased with FP1, and there is evidence to suggest it was supposed to be in the base game apparently. By comparison, Tails by all accounts was always meant to have his Mii Costume come back.

Also, and I feel bad for saying, but I think people are overestimating the chances of a second Sonic rep. Yeah, we got Sephiroth, but may I remind you Final Fantasy had TERRIBLE representation base game. Plus, Square Enix have actually been pretty supportive of Ultimate's post launch content, not only with characters, but Spirit Events as well. Legit, I think we're more likely to get a second Square Enix rep than a second Sonic rep.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't know about you lot, but it seems kinda suspicious that Acti isn't already in the initial list of attendees, when they've always showed up at E3 when it was available in some form. Always announced something there, so I'd be surprised if they didn't even show up there to announce something relatively smaller like one of On the Run's season passes (keeping in mind that N. Sane's Future Tense was announced there instead of Spyro Reignited).

As for Dragonborn, I could see him get in as a Mii costume. Looks to me like he'd get the Altair treatment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom