• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Of course they don't get along.

If they were on friendly terms those games would be FREE ON SWITCH. COME ON ACTIVISION! /s
true true.

But in all seriousness, the narrative that both companies would not work together and have a good relationship is a bunch of ****. It started with Skylanders adding in Donkey Kong and Bowser to now recently Crash 4 on the Switch, along with this Activision sale on the Nintendo Switch that they just revealed today.

Obv doesn't directly confirm him for Smash, but it's encouraging to see.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1377712379086188552

But Nintendo and Activision don't have a good relationship btw.
Yea that's definately great to see! I wonder if they've promoted any other company that isn't involved with Smash...

I also love literally every time Nintendo promotes something Crash related you see storms of people asking for Crash in Smash. So awesome...

Nope. It's a legit sale going on.

I can't believe I have every single one of these games now (plus Crash 4) except Diablo. Should I just get that now? Lol

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Yea that's definately great to see! I wonder if they've promoted any other company that isn't involved with Smash...

I also love literally every time Nintendo promotes something Crash related you see storms of people asking for Crash in Smash. So awesome...

I can't believe I have every single one of these games now (plus Crash 4) except Diablo. Should I just get that now? Lol
I wish i had Spyro

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Random Question: So are we gonna have to change our profile pics back to what they were ourselves after tonight? Or are they gonna do that automatically?

Also, Monster Hunter Rise Spirit Event confirmed to be starting tomorrow!
Pretty sure it's automatic. I was there for the same thing last year, except it was CrashBoards.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Random Question: So are we gonna have to change our profile pics back to what they were ourselves after tonight? Or are they gonna do that automatically?
Once the April Fools fun ends, the site will return to normal and all pfps will return.

Dragging over a pfp now will give you your original picture instead of the themed one.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It should happen automatically.

Also, ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!
Pretty sure it's automatic. I was there for the same thing last year, except it was CrashBoards.
Once the April Fools fun ends, the site will return to normal and all pfps will return.

Dragging over a pfp now will give you your original picture instead of the themed one.
Gotcha, thanks ya'll 😊
But man, both Ryu Hayabusa and Monster Hunter are down within 2 days of each other. That's insane.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Well that was a fun april fools wasnt it? Something's definitely not off here. Not at all. Wait why are you looking at me like that? Is there something on my face? Nah, ive always had this profile picture that's definitely not from last year's april fools joke dont be silly!

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a sale or advertising a sale exactly means anything though.
In the sense of it confirming someone to Smash (as I noted), it doesn't.

What it does mean however in terms of Crash is this: Nintendo/Activision is more then happy to give Crash sales often (which before the Switch port announcement, didn't happen that often at all so basically once in a blue moon he'll get one on Nintendo so the timing of it is something to potentially look at) and the advertising attention he's been getting on their social medias announcing the sales, announcing the ports, and other ways of advertising the Bandicoot as often as they have been doing.

They know and have said before that Crash is an iconic video game character so them doing what they have been doing lately strongly emphasizes that. As far as his chances for Smash if we were to talk about that angle? It most def helps! But whatever it will actually mean something at the end is something we will have to see when the time of CP10 comes around.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Keep your expectations in check.
I too want Crash in Smash. He is my MOST wanted character not yet playable.
But look at how much Nintendo markets Monster Hunter, and they're seemingly disconfirmed through Mii Costumes and Spirit Events.
We mustn't assume Crash is a shoe in because of marketing.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
But look at how much Nintendo markets Monster Hunter, and they're seemingly disconfirmed through Mii Costumes and Spirit Events.
Definately not a shoe-in, but it is promising. Monster Hunter is already involved in Smash, so it seems like we very well might get SOMETHING Crash related.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So another thing I've been thinking on that Crash has going for him is... he's really old.

Seriously, Nintendo LOVES representing gaming history, and this is clearly indicated by their selection of 3rd party franchises. Aside from Minecraft and Bayonetta (which could be argued to be special exceptions anyway), the YOUNGEST franchise to have playable representation is Banjo-Kazooie which debuted in 1998.

Among the eligible (i.e. not licensed and could actually have a playable character) highest selling franchises not yet to be represented in Smash, aside from The Elder Scrolls and Mortal Kombat I believe, Crash Bandicoot is the oldest debuting in September 1996.

Funnily enough, The Elder Scrolls are probably Crash's biggest competition for an E3 Smash reveal.

Dude, don't do that. It's still too soon since Hayabusa to be assuming like that
I wouldn't say I'm assuming we'll get something Crash-related in Smash, I just think it's likely.

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
1617393902558.png

Probably doesn't much in the grand scheme of things, but I find it interesting that E3 'liked' this tweet of someone showing passionate support of Crash to Smash. Now of course you might think "dont they do this a lot?" in terms of liking tweets like this?

Well actually, I looked back as far as last summer of 2020, they have not done such. Most of their likes are usually just promotional tweets or anything that involves them in certain events or of their own events (including E3) so them liking the tweet here is rather interesting.

Again, we shouldn't take this as a direct confirmation that he's in Smash or anything further then just an interesting interaction here because does it mean something? Probably not, but let's see when E3 rolls around in the Summer of whether or not it means something or not.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I definitely agree. One thing I have learned about Smash over the years is that no character is truly a lock no matter how popular they're or how much they got going for them.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I had seen it coming from miles away to begin with, I just didn't think they'd get around to it late. Maybe this means Phoenix might get in after all, but only if he objects to Pass 2 being the end.
Okay, that'd make a cool reveal actually: Sakurai says this is the end, but then...

OBJECTION!

Bam, boom, FP3 is confirmed, Phoenix Wright is Fighter 12.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, that'd make a cool reveal actually: Sakurai says this is the end, but then...

OBJECTION!

Bam, boom, FP3 is confirmed, Phoenix Wright is Fighter 12.
Dude that would be so hype and I’m not even an active Phoenix supporter (even tho I think he’d be cool)

dont give me hope like that 😭

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dude that would be so hype and I’m not even an active Phoenix supporter (even tho I think he’d be cool)

dont give me hope like that 😭
Well, you know what they say: the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over.

That being said, I hope we won't have to wait too long before we know of On the Run's next season. I'm curious to see who else they'll bring back.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What's funny and what I don't see people mention that while a "Western Character" has more of an uphill battle to get into Smash compared to a Japanese one because of language barriers, local contact and etc.

The one big advantage that they do have over their eastern counterparts is that their a lot more bulletproof to getting "Spirited/Mii'd" compared to them and it's probably a big reason why Crash is still in the running compared to the other two potential characters who have likely been deconfirmed as of just recently.

Not that it's impossible for it to happen, But I feel a hell of lot more confident about his chances of not getting deconfirmed via that route compared to your average Japanese 3rd party character because it just doesn't make sense for the effort to really be minor/worth it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What's funny and what I don't see people mention that while a "Western Character" has more of an uphill battle to get into Smash compared to a Japanese one because of language barriers, local contact and etc.

The one big advantage that they do have over their eastern counterparts is that their a lot more bulletproof to getting "Spirited/Mii'd compared to them and it's probably a big reason why Crash is still in the running compared to the other two potential characters who have been likely to have been deconfirmed as of lately.

Not that it's impossible for it to happen, But I feel a hell of lot more confident about his chances of not getting deconfirmed via that route compared to your average Japanese 3rd party character because it just doesn't make sense for the effort to really be minor/worth it.
Especially considering how minor DLC content is a lot more definitive in regards to deconfirming characters/properties in contrast to the "leave that there, just in case we come back to it later" nature of minor base game content.

In any case, if we get any other Western character soon, it would probably have to be during E3. I currently have a hard time seeing May be the time to announce anything noteworthy.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Especially considering how minor DLC content is a lot more definitive in regards to deconfirming characters/properties in contrast to the "leave that there, just in case we come back to it later" nature of minor base game content.

In any case, if we get any other Western character soon, it would probably have to be during E3. I currently have a hard time seeing May be the time to announce anything noteworthy.
They could reveal and release Challenger 10 in May and then reveal Challenger 11 at E3 and then release them the next month or something. That's kinda what I'm predicting right now. My frontrunner picks for those DLC spots are currently Lloyd and Crash, one for the East mainly, and one for the West mainly, similar to Hero and Banjo at E3 2019.

I wouldn't say I'm assuming we'll get something Crash-related in Smash, I just think it's likely.
Sorry about earlier man, I changed my mind. I retract my previous reply to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom