• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
So I just had an interesting theory. It has several Assumptions that need to be made in order for it to be believable.

A While Ago. Aaronitmar posted this video...
Basically saying that Tracer was a Planned character and was scrapped or delayed early in development. Possibly Relating to the Blizzard Controversy that was going on at the time...

So for this theory to work, the Assumptions that need to be made are.
1. Tracer was Actually being Worked on and this Video is Accurate.
2. Tracer was NOT Scrapped, but Rather Delayed to a time when there would be less Controversy with a Blizzard/Activision Character.

With the theory some people have about the Repeating Series. (Square having Hero in FP1, and Sephiroth in FP2. Microsoft Having Banjo in FP1, and Steve in FP2).

Assuming Tracer was Delayed and Byleth took her spot and she was moved to a later Date. That would Put her in Fighters Pass 2.... Along with Potentially another Activision Character Initially Planned for FP2, and since I'm posting in this Thread... Crash is the other character I'm thinking of.

So Initially it would have been. Activision Having Reps with Tracer in FP1, and Crash in FP2, but due to everything going on. Tracer was pushed back, and if they already negotiated for Crash, Nintendo wouldn't just scrap him... I'd hope.

Admittedly there are alot of assumptions that need to be made for this to line up, but it WOULD fit. Having Crash and Tracer as CP10/11.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I just had an interesting theory. It has several Assumptions that need to be made in order for it to be believable.

Basically saying that Tracer was a Planned character and was scrapped or delayed early in development. Possibly Relating to the Blizzard Controversy that was going on at the time...

2. Tracer was NOT Scrapped, but Rather Delayed to a time when there would be less Controversy with a Blizzard/Activision Character.

With the theory some people have about the Repeating Series. (Square having Hero in FP1, and Sephiroth in FP2. Microsoft Having Banjo in FP1, and Steve in FP2).

Assuming Tracer was Delayed and Byleth took her spot and she was moved to a later Date. That would Put her in Fighters Pass 2.... Along with Potentially another Activision Character Initially Planned for FP2, and since I'm posting in this Thread... Crash is the other character I'm thinking of.

So Initially it would have been. Activision Having Reps with Tracer in FP1, and Crash in FP2, but due to everything going on. Tracer was pushed back, and if they already negotiated for Crash, Nintendo wouldn't just scrap him... I'd hope.

Admittedly there are alot of assumptions that need to be made for this to line up, but it WOULD fit. Having Crash and Tracer as CP10/11.
I'm pretty sure this theory only exists to try and justify Byleth's inclusion...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

On one hand, I would get Crash in Smash. On the other, the amount of beef I have had with Overwatch over the past five years is staggering. Removing multi character ques, recycling events, awful balance choices, enforcing 2 2 2 because you can't balance your own game, role cues, and now Overwatch 2 and all the issues I have with that.

That being said, I would genuinely take it despite my issues. Overwatch I do think it earned its place in gaming's hall of fame and Tracer would be cool. Also it gets me Crash so...

How many times does it need to be said that companies having controversies has little weight on character inclusion? Cause last i checked, Konami is still a crappy company.
Yeah, the theory is kind of a crackshoot. I doubt Nintendo would get cold feet when they worked with companies like Square, Konami, SNK, and Tencent who all have some baggage to them as well.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I'm pretty sure this theory only exists to try and justify Byleth's inclusion...
This is the part of the show where I remind everyone that Three Houses is the best selling game in the Fire Emblem series.

Also, the theory itself seems very farfetched.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is the part of the show where I remind everyone that Three Houses is the best selling game in the Fire Emblem series.

Also, the theory itself seems very farfetched.
To be fair, Byleth was chosen before Three Houses was even released. While there are some signs the game was delayed and intended to be released earlier, FP1 was decided almost 9 months before Three Houses would launch. Even if in retrospect it ended up working out, Byleth was likely not chosen due to TH being a success.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
To be fair, Byleth was chosen before Three Houses was even released. While there are some signs the game was delayed and intended to be released earlier, FP1 was decided almost 9 months before Three Houses would launch. Even if in retrospect it ended up working out, Byleth was likely not chosen due to TH being a success.
The way I've always viewed it, FP5 was the moveset Sakurai made for Monster Hunter, but tweaked and moved to Byleth when the MH team turned down the offer of a fighter.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Wasn't that just a theory Imran Khan made?
Sorta. I lose track of all this speculation stuff.

To better summerize my point and end this discussion, Byleth started as a pick of convince and, by virtue of events the took place after they were originally chosen, actually became a worthy addition rather then a pure corporate pick (unlike, for instance, Corrin).

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Crash Bandicoot joins, do you think his sister coco might be a fighter too like Olimar/Alph or a cameo in the stage?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If Crash Bandicoot joins, do you think his sister coco might be a fighter too like Olimar/Alph or a cameo in the stage?
Honestly, if anything, I could imagine Coco being the Mythra to Crash's Pyra. I mean, one of the bigger aspects of Crash in recent memory, AFAIK, is the ability to play as Coco. After Pyra and Mythra's release, I wouldn't put it past the two to put the two in the same slot like they did with the Aegis.

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
Honestly, if anything, I could imagine Coco being the Mythra to Crash's Pyra. I mean, one of the bigger aspects of Crash in recent memory, AFAIK, is the ability to play as Coco. After Pyra and Mythra's release, I wouldn't put it past the two to put the two in the same slot like they did with the Aegis.
With all respect, I think it doesn't make much sense. Mythra and Pyra have different abilities and attacks, Crash and Coco have the exact same abilities, it would make much more sense to have Coco as an echo if anything.

Anyways, I don't know if any of you know this, but it is rumored that very soon (between tomorrow and the day after) Nintendo will have a direct presenting the New Switch model. I don't know if it makes much sense that they will do two directs in the same E3, so what if this counts as their E3? Take this with a grain of salt, the source was Centro Leaks on Twitter if I remember the name correctly.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think she could be an alt. They have pushed the boundaries of what can be considered an alt with Byleth and Steve. It just depends on how they do Crash's moveset and how much of his unique wackiness is incorporated into it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ideally, I'd like to see her as a bonus echo fighter included in Crash's challenger pack - I'm not sure how well an alternate costume like Alph would work, considering that their proportions/body shapes are different. Not sure how likely it is that it would happen, though, so I'm guessing she'd be a spirit or a stage cameo.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Here's something for you all.
Oh jeez... I'm gonna have to be really careful pulling it up on my lunch break to avoid spoilers...

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not sure if it will be Yuri Lowell but that does seem like one of the picks we will get. I think FP#11 will likely be a character just popular in Japan and could be First-Party.

Honestly, if Sakurai was wise and wanted to go the popular in Japan route like he has done, he should go with Ryu Hayabusa, Lloyd Irving, or a Zelda character. Although those characters are big in Japan, they do have popularity in the West and I doubt Western fans would be disappointed by them. I wouldn't be.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'll be bluntly honest. Anyone who thinks Tracer is even remotely possible is the true definition of a "straw grasper". Tracer is never happening. We either get Crash or we get nothing from Activision. I have no idea why Tracer was EVER taken seriously in Smash speculation..

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'll be bluntly honest. Anyone who thinks Tracer is even remotely possible is the true definition of a "straw grasper". Tracer is never happening. We either get Crash or we get nothing from Activision. I have no idea why Tracer was EVER taken seriously in Smash speculation..
I agree. We are also not getting Masterchief or Doomguy. They would have been nice and really moved the needle for Nintendo in North America but they really don't care as much about our market by how they have handled the DLC to date.

I am not even liking Crash's chances. I think Rayman is more likely than Crash (I want both).

If I was Nintendo, I would have had Crash, Rayman, Lloyd Irving, and Ryu Hayabusa in the passes by now. All four of these plus others (Jonesy or a Fortnite rep is something to watch out for) are in the running right now to steal Crash's spot. The only hope for Crash is the voice actors getting together and the possibility that they might have actually dropped hints of him being in.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well now that we know when the direct is, does anyone wanna make some final predictions for it? Here's mine:

Yuri Lowell
Crash Bandicoot
I don't have anything solid, but I keep getting this weird feeling that whoever it is isn't someone one would consider "E3 worthy". I don't know if it's the poor ending trend getting to me, but I keep getting the feeling that people are gonna say stuff like "THIS is our E3 character?", or "Nintendo SERIOUSLY thought this was E3 worthy?".
As much as I hate to say it, Tracer DID actually have some things going for her. Modern gaming icon, inventing a new subgenre of shooters, being Blizzard's poster child, that kind of stuff. The main thing going against her was competition with Crash.

Of course, times have changed, and... yeah, Tracer ain't happening.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well now that we know when the direct is, does anyone wanna make some final predictions for it? Here's mine:

Yuri Lowell
Crash Bandicoot
Just PLEASE let one of the last two be Cash Banooca. I'm fine with mostly anyone but I want the Marsupial to get his long-awaited reunion with his rivals of old.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Yuri Lowell
Crash Bandicoot
I'm still going with:

Crash Bandicoot
Astral Chain Protagonist

I'm kind of doubting Crash lately, but he still seems more likely to me right now than most other characters.

Top Bottom