• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

booshk

Smash Lord
So I'm probably moving to Vancouver this upcoming Summer and I imagine there's a few Smashers there. =P Also are any of you guys UBC students? How difficult is it for a Math Major to get in (I'll have done 1.5 years by then)?

I'll see you folks in a few months. <3
you want to get in math as well right?

i think you need a decently high average, not too high though? depends on what kind of post secondary you come from as well i think. i've heard that college kids need higher GPAs than usual to get in.

you can probably clarify with manuel(diakonos), me and him go to ubc and we (he was in science(screw arts >:O)) know stuff about the science faculty.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Well I have about a little over 3.0 at the moment, but I expect that to go slightly up at the end of this semester. That should be enough right? :D All my post-secondary is from UofL if that means anything. I love how you guys all assume I'm not Asian (though I'm not). =P

I can't wait to meet all you guys!

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Ah! Just wrote a post and navigated away from the page. Sadface.

Yeah, 3.0 should be fine, but of course higher is better. UBC makes marks directly proportional to how well they treat you. For example, if your average is higher, your course selection starts earlier.

Arts average last year was 3.1, but I'm not sure what the one for Math was. Be careful, though, there are lots of Asians here and everyone knows that Asians are better at math than everyone. Except Asians.

I like Asians.

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=2,0,0,0

booshk

Smash Lord
are u guys talking about a 4 point scale or a 4.3 scale? i heard in most other places in canada they use 4.0 so iuno :O

do u guys know how to convert 4.3->4.0
cause i only know my gpa in 4.3 :(

Geist

Smash Master
My highschool GPA was 4.1
And I'm not even asian.
Get at meeeeeeee

EDIT: 4.3 scale is weighted, so AP and honors courses are taken into effect, so you can't really 'convert' to unweighted unless you know their grades and classes beforehand.

booshk

Smash Lord
uhh i dunno.. cause it just shows on UBC course site for GPA conversions that its a 4.33 scale.. and i have no AP and honours classes? do u know how i would go about that lol T_T

Geist

Smash Master
You must be that amazing
Or They're just showing your weighted GPA regardless of honors courses (so your unweighted would probably be the exact same in that case)
Or the Canadian GPA systems work different than the US ones by more than I thought.

Of course, an A grade does start at 80% here, so I imagine the extra 10% margin would make a 4.33 GPA possible.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Thanks for that Diakonos!

Just umm, how can I pay my application fee and finish it up if I don't have a credit card or a bank account to one of the ones listed? ;;>_>

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Go to your online banking, and find "add payee". Type in University of British Columbia, and if you find the tuition thing, it'll ask for your student number. Put that in, and it'll work. 2 or so business days, though.

Credit card on the website is usually best.

Entrance from college/uni and highschool is wayy different. I would have had a 4.3 if it was from highschool.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I went to my bank earlier today and that's what it sounds like they did. So just by doing basic signing up, I already have a student number? I have some 8-digit thing "ADMS"; is that it?

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I have an 8 digit student number. I don't know what an ADMS is.

I imagine that it's probably the one, though. Try it!

Geist

Smash Master
Has anyone downloaded the P:M demo? I wanna try it so bad D:
Also consequently, is anyone down for smash sometime whenever? Or even just hanging out?

booshk

Smash Lord
yeah, i'm quite sure canada and US gpa is very different now >_>
but its also cause im amazing
and wrist inflammation again, ugh always during test time

are we having a tourny this month at all? :( smashfest at least? eric? : D

booshk

Smash Lord
are we gunna hve tourny this month? if not someone should have smashfest during semester break :awesome:

Geist

Smash Master
Is violence eric still doing his thursday things? There were always so many turnouts :[
Wait is he even in BC right now lolz

booshk

Smash Lord
manuel i demand you come down to richmond and play with us richmond kids during semester break!! i'll pick you up halfway or something.
do you have a break wednesday btw? we could totally smashes somewheres!!!:awesome:

booshk

Smash Lord
thatd be pretty tight if there was a tourny during reading break.
showup would be pretty bad though eh? but eh :(
smashfest would be coolio too

Diakonos

Smash Lord
If SFU is having a reading break, too, then wouldn't it be a perfect time to host a tournament at the Rotunda?

I'd be down.

booshk

Smash Lord
If SFU is having a reading break, too, then wouldn't it be a perfect time to host a tournament at the Rotunda?

I'd be down.
do it!
someone host
eric manuel
: (
still manuel
ur coming down to richmond
richmond is ur home
screw burnaby psh : D

booshk

Smash Lord
we should have an epic elegant destruction vs. brown booun crew battle and record it. except marvic doesn't play anymore

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Do you lol cuz we give universities their own avenues etc. or because of the 8888, a largely symbolic Asian number?

Top Bottom