• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

unityole

Smash Lord
LOL hey guys!
long time no see =3
i've been away and uninvolved for awhile now.. so whats new? =D
umm i donno u lol. welcome back?

anyone up for melee/brawl smashfest at SFU? it's open for anyone tuesday-thursday, lets all decide on a time?

we got a couple of TVs here, and i really want to play someone who ***** me in brawl so i can improve fast. me, rampage, sean and a couple of students here are down. best time that works for me would be wednesday/ thursday, truestory.

edit: bring melee + cube..

unityole

Smash Lord
so smashfest on thursday, that works.
firestorm + 3 buddies, yakal, me + couple more students. we're up for melee/brawl, and 64 is always here.
we got 4 tvs lol, thanks to yakal and francis, and eric too for not taking it back to yakal :D

james: sc tonight? i will **** again!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
so smashfest on thursday, that works.
firestorm + 3 buddies, yakal, me + couple more students. we're up for melee/brawl, and 64 is always here.
we got 4 tvs lol, thanks to yakal and francis, and eric too for not taking it back to yakal :D

james: sc tonight? i will **** again!
Sounds good. I actually worked on my speed a bit a coupl days ago. Still figuring things out. I had some system that I used to do with Zerg and I totally lost it. Depresses me :[
But yes, I miiiiight be up for some. I have lots of stuff to do today though. Maybe tomorrow?

*sigh*

anybody wanna barlw? >_> <_< >_< <_>
I played Brawl today. Miiiiiight do some more later. First time I played in a long time, I'm LCing everything again lol. Or trying to, played melee recently so the old habbits are back ;]

unityole

Smash Lord
But yes, I miiiiight be up for some. I have lots of stuff to do today though. Maybe tomorrow?
no johns man.

i played couple 1v1s today against koreans in battlenet asia.
some ggs and some are too ez, and 1 hacker :D

AIDS

Smash Lord
People enjoy sleep tiep.

Vanity Angel: I have seen people tell me with a straight face and dead seriose that Brawl takes more technical skill then melee.

N

N5_Revolution

People enjoy sleep tiep.

Vanity Angel: I have seen people tell me with a straight face and dead seriose that Brawl takes more technical skill then melee.
I could see that logic.

Brawl tries to bring the franchise back to knowing how to play the character and the game for what it is, whereas Melee is about "how will exploit X make character Y better?".

I guess at the root it's just the classic argument of whether someone believes exploits and bugs are fair play, and whether those people consider them "skillful" to use or not.

Metà

Smash Master
I could see that logic.

Brawl tries to bring the franchise back to knowing how to play the character and the game for what it is, whereas Melee is about "how will exploit X make character Y better?".

I guess at the root it's just the classic argument of whether someone believes exploits and bugs are fair play, and whether those people consider them "skillful" to use or not.
Wow...are you serious? Melee is fast and precise, with more options and more DEPTH. Brawl was made simpler so more people could enjoy it, it has nothing to do with emphasizing character knowledge, it's about making it easier. Sakurai literally went out of his way to make it less competitive; Melee obviously takes more skill because there are more options and the game is less forgiving (ie: more punishment, higher 'risk/reward' factor, more balance between offense and defence, etc.).

And please do not EVER bring up the argument of 'how the game is supposed to be played'. It makes my blood boil when people say that. If you want to play it without exploits/AT's, you can do so, but I play the game competitively, and I enjoy doing whatever it takes to play at my fullest potential.

I can tell you're not a serious competitive player. It's so obvious it hurts.

N

N5_Revolution

Wow...are you serious? Melee is fast and precise, with more options and more DEPTH. Brawl was made simpler so more people could enjoy it, it has nothing to do with emphasizing character knowledge, it's about making it easier. Sakurai literally went out of his way to make it less competitive; Melee obviously takes more skill because there are more options and the game is less forgiving (ie: more punishment, higher 'risk/reward' factor, more balance between offense and defence, etc.).

And please do not EVER bring up the argument of 'how the game is supposed to be played'. It makes my blood boil when people say that. If you want to play it without exploits/AT's, you can do so, but I play the game competitively, and I enjoy doing whatever it takes to play at my fullest potential.

I can tell you're not a serious competitive player. It's so obvious it hurts.
You know lashing out at new members immediately isn't really a way to make a dwindling (from what I read) community grow...

I just said I could see one's logic behind saying "Brawl is better". I actually prefer the faster pace of Melee by a landslide over Brawl. I just try looking at another persons point of view at why one might think game A is better than game B.

So uhh... sorry if I mislead otherwise?

edit

As for what you said in your edit, I never vouched for either side of the arugment, just to be clear. Just stating POV's.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
You know lashing out at new members immediately isn't really a way to make a dwindling (from what I read) community grow...
Quality, not quantity. But other than that, I have no opinion in this argument.

Edit: I saw an ad on a bus for this yesterday just hanging around Vancouver to watch the fireworks with friends, so I decided to explore a bit farther:

http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibitions/exhibit_krazy.html

It's the art gallery, I know, so you might shun this right away, but the exhibition is trying to explore manga, anime, other animated cartoons and video games as art forms. Works range anywhere from Paprika (really weird movie, but definitely artsy still quite cool), to Toy Story to Super Mario World. I might check this out before it's done.

unityole

Smash Lord
anymore people down for smash in brawl and melee this coming thursday? anytime from noon to whenever is fine.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, average Montreal smasher here.
Going on a trip with a fellow Brawler to Vancouver from the 30th to Aug.6th, staying on Robson street, and I'm not eliminating the idea of perhaps getting my Smash on during that time.

Do you guys have some sort of weekly/biweekly gathering going around the Vancouver area during this time frame that we could attend? Sounds pretty exotic to play the West Coast people : P

And Chet, what the hell are you doing posting here. Mod duties? ;P

Agora

Smash Journeyman
^ wat

And alright, Thursday would be our sole chance, huh?
What's the schedule and address, if I may ask? If we've got a free evening, could be sweet to drop by.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
N5, if you're on SmashBoards in a regional thread, chances are the people actually attend tournaments so there'll be a grand total of 100% that think exploiting bugs are fair game =)

^ wat

And alright, Thursday would be our sole chance, huh?
What's the schedule and address, if I may ask? If we've got a free evening, could be sweet to drop by.
Don't mind him he says dumb stuffs.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
It's true. Except he uses double missles so he cheats a different way. Face it, we're all hackers.
I even used a chain throw once. Like I'm serious!

Eric, rematch TONIGHT ok? Best of 3, lets see if I even the score or you go 4-0 vs me lol

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
$$ tourney!
Too pricy for me to get there for it...I should check to see if my passport is even valid anymore just in case there is one that I would go to soon! D:

I bet even Eggz double missled at least once before. Everybody has done something like a double fair before, even by accident, like when I win, like wtf how does that happen?! And sometimes there's this thing called a tipper, like total hax. And the cape! EGGZ!!!
CHEATERS EVERYWHERE!

is this topic over yet? I'm just trowing out random things :p

Oh, can't forget Rest. Like Jiggz how does that move kill? She just sleeps when I do it?

lol sry, I just played melee with my little bros friends and they're really bad but hilarious. Link UpB = Broken for them HAHAHA

Metà

Smash Master
Yakal, what's with you and Barlw? Are you actually enjoying the game now? And taking it seriously?! I don't know you anymore, man, something's wrong.

lol jk, Barlw is alright. I'm trying to learn Go right now though, it's such an awesome strategy game. Does anyone else here play Go/Igo/Baduk/Weiqi? I need some non-computer, offline opponents. -_-

FBM

Smash Apprentice
boo to all

Smash>SC>a bunch of stuff>all the other stuff
:p
Smash >= warcraft3 > sc

Really tough to call that one because of the complete difference of wc3 and smash and anyone who hasn't seen high-level warcraft can't really comment on it, but I'd say a strategy game where pros issue over 300 actions per minute in sustained battles is of a very high level of technicality - and that's orders given, not even the mouse clicks or keystrokes required to give those orders.

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
Yakal, what's with you and Barlw? Are you actually enjoying the game now? And taking it seriously?! I don't know you anymore, man, something's wrong.

lol jk, Barlw is alright. I'm trying to learn Go right now though, it's such an awesome strategy game. Does anyone else here play Go/Igo/Baduk/Weiqi? I need some non-computer, offline opponents. -_-
I got into it for a little bit - played against the computer for a while and stopped. Played mostly 9x9, some 13x13 once I figured out the computer.

It's a great game, but it takes a lot of practice if you want to get good at it. I played competitive chess for a while in my high school days and Go still takes a bit to get used to. I guess I'll play - it's been a while and I've never really played any decent human opponent before.

On a side note, you've probably seen this already, but for those who haven't - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_no_Go

Amazing anime. Got me interested in the game and I followed it to the end despite not having a full grasp on the rules after the final episode. Then I actually learned how to play a bit.

Edit: Gah, offline. Sorry, then. You might want to try this: http://www.go-canada.org/clubs.php?section=go clubs&subsection=british columbia

It's fairly outdated, though. I'm pretty sure the UVic one doesn't exist anymore, and I dunno if the Victoria one does either.

Rampage

vx
Snake is too much fun man...too much fun...I'm being drawn into barlw...It's like a parasite, it's burrowing itself into my brain D:

Top Bottom