• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I went by Metro to see if they had Apollo Justice in (they don't) and asked about the tournament since the store seems plastered with flyers. They were already doing registrations, asked if I wanted to do it on the 18th, 19th, or 20th. This makes it seem as if each store is only hosting the tournament for one weekend each. I signed up for the 18th.

I asked about rules and they said http://www.nintendo.ca/brawl has all the details. I go online and it just redirects to what I have in the last post, which has almost no info =/ I'll ask to see their memo tomorrow when Apollo Justice should hopefully be in!

There only seems to be 64 people allowed per day so if you want to sign up, go and do it now.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Went by again and they STILL don't have Apollo Justice while all my **** pirate friends are at Case 2 or 3. Ugh.

Anyway
- one weekend only per location confirmed
- Nintendo is running it, not EB
- what's on the site is all they know

dieslow

Smash Ace
lol Ryan+Eric im going to the Richmond one too. Richmond brawl is 2 weeks before Metro's, and will probably have less people.

dieslow

Smash Ace
lol Ryan+Eric im going to the Richmond one too. Richmond brawl is 2 weeks before Metro's, and will probably have less people.

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
It will be pretty gay to go to this one I would think.

As soon as I saw it I thought:
-wii motes
-ffa
-items
-like 2 minute matches
-annoying kids

If you guys go though it might be a bit more fun. But cramping in that small area is kinda sucky
Wiimote ain't that bad....I can play ***** style

1. Select Pit
2. Hoot hoot hoot hoot
3. ANANANANANA
4. More hoot hoot hoot hoot
5. ANANANANANA
6. Ho ya!
7. Sho da!

I really really hope they let people use nunchuku combo instead.

unityole

Smash Lord
The Saturday and Sunday tournaments by Nintendo at Metrotown are on that day.
uh wait, isnt that march 20 ish for sunday and saturday? I thought it was march, evan's at April for the tournament, and this one has all 3 smash games xD

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
uh wait, isnt that march 20 ish for sunday and saturday? I thought it was march, evan's at April for the tournament, and this one has all 3 smash games xD
Nope. They're all in April. Was just saying in case he didn't want to compete with Nintendo for players. The SFU event will run better and be more competitive I'd assume, but this is one of the few chances for us to play in a Nintendo event since they hate Canada =P There's still Friday, Richmond Centre, and North Van though.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
yea but theres cooler prizes if you win as in going to Toronto and New York and stuff..

Traveling > Money for prizes... unless the money is A LOT OF MONEY!!!??? and I'm talking thousands..;)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
OH MY ****ING GOSH THESE ARE THE WORST ****ING RULES I'VE EVER SEEN IN A ****ING ANYTHING WOW

# Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to participate.
# Only one entry per person is allowed.
# Nintendo will supply contestants with Wii remotes to participate in the tournament. No personal equipment allowed.
# Ranking will be at random.
# Contestants may not choose their own characters.
# Contestants have a pre-determined number of “lives” per match. Winner is the last player with live(s) available.

WHAT THE **** NINTENDO. You have to random characters. Wow.

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
Lol I think we all knew that would happen...leave it up to Nintendo to not know that the classic controller is the best for brawl...(excluding GCC with removed L/R springs)

I think this make the SFU tourney on that day wayyyy more attractive.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
http://nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=7&id=23801

I expected a lot of what we got, but not being able to choose which character we play with and having to use random is the stupidest choice I've ever seen. Anyway, for those who were planning to go to multiple events, you can't. 1 per person. Here's how each stage works:

6. Tournament Draw:

a) General:
- Tournament will be conducted using Super Smash Bros. Brawl played on the
Nintendo Wii console, using Nintendo provided Wii remotes only
- All Tournament equipment including consoles, games and Wii remotes will be
provided. No personal equipment will be permitted for Tournament use
- Contestants will be ranked at random for their place in the tournament draw
- The random character setting will be in effect for all matches, and contestants
will not be allowed to choose their own characters
- Matches consist of two (2) to four (4) players, where each player has three (3)
“lives”
- Winners of each match are decided based on the last player with lives available

b) Regional Qualifying Rounds (April 4 – 20, 2008)

Each participating EB Games location will host three (3) Tournament Draws on three (3) consecutive days (schedule posted at www.nintendo.ca/brawl); each with a maximum of 48 contestants. Contestants will be ranked at random and slotted into one (1) of the three (3) Tournament Draws. Three (3) winners of each Tournament Draw continue on to the Regional Semi-Finals.

-Tournament Draw Format:
Round 1: - Consists of 12 matches
- There are four (4) contestants per match
- One (1) winner of each match continues on to Round 2
-The three (3) non-winners are eliminated from the tournament

Round 2: - Consists of six (6) matches
- There are two (2) Contestants per match
- One (1) winner of each match continues on to Round 3
- The one (1) non-winner is eliminated from the tournament

Round 3:- Consists of one (1) match
- There are three (3) Contestants in the match
- One (1) winner continues on to the Regional Semi-finals
- The two (2) non-winners are eliminated from the tournament

c) Regional Semi-Finals (April 26, 2008)

Each participating EB Games location will host one (1) tournament draw (schedule posted at www.nintendo.ca/brawl); consisting of nine (9) contestants. Contestants will be ranked at random and slotted into the tournament draw. The one (1) winner continues on to the National Final.

-Tournament Draw Format:
Round 1: - Consists of 3 matches
- There are three (3) contestants per match
- One (1) winner of each match continues on to Round 2

Round 2:- Consists of one (1) match
- There are three (3) contestants in the match
- One (1) winner continues on to the National Final

d) National Final (May 3, 2008)

EB Games at Toronto Eaton Centre will host one (1) tournament draw consisting of five (5) contestants. Contestants will be ranked at random and slotted into the tournament draw. The one (1) winner will be National Champion.

-Tournament Draw Format:
Round Robin: -TBD

Playoffs:-TBD
Evan. You have absolutely no competition.

Z-r0w

Smash Rookie
Sup guys,

First time poster here long time reader, just thought i'd say sup to all my fellow B.C. smashers and tell you all a little about myself. I'm a pretty hardcore smasher, I don't think i'm too bad but I have very little tourney experience. I love to smash in my free time so if any locals wanna get some good smash going i'll always be down to play. I'll be 20 in march and i'm currently going to school right now. You can definitely expect me coming out to more and more of the local tournies, I just hope I don't suck too bad ^^. Anyways if anyone wants to get some smash going feel free to hit me up anytime.

Z-r0w

Smash Rookie
Kwantlen right now >< but I might be making the switch to SFU depends though since i'm in the Business program and SFU business requires like a 3.7 GPA so not sure yet...

zPhoenixExz

Smash Cadet
Kwantlen right now >< but I might be making the switch to SFU depends though since i'm in the Business program and SFU business requires like a 3.7 GPA so not sure yet...
Where the heck did you hear that?! If you go straight from secondary then ya you need ~90%, but transfer from other post sec generally only need like 3.0 - 3.2 GPA, even on the SFU websites it says in the past the transfer GPA is only like an avg of 2.8 GPA.

Rampage

vx
so...are you one of those new players that come for a while and sound enthusiastic about the game but then never come to a tournament and just disappear?

lol jk hai

piegopher

Smash Rookie
# Contestants may not choose their own characters.
I think that sounds like a lot of fun :D Especially since I can never settle on a main... I'd love to see some people I know trying to get the hang of Ice Climbers or Bowser at the drop of a hat.

I'm looking forward to playing Brawl like a noob for a few months- Getting used to all the new stuff- Picking favourite characters every other day- All stages and items- Unlockin stuff... It's going to be so nostalgic :) I want to milk that game for all it's worth! MILK!

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
BTW from what I know there is no random stage selction thing. (What stages are on random and what arent) So I suggest for the first match players can agree on a level or flip a coin to see who gets to choose stage first.

Legal Stages for Brawl IMO
BattleField
FD
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi Story
Animal Crossing Stage
MetaKnights battleship
Fire Emblem Castle
Starfox stage (sorta like battle field forgot the name)
PictoChat*
WarioWare*
Pokemon Spear Pillar*
Mute City 2*
Metroid Stage* (The one with alien in background)
Pokemon Stadium 1** (Melee)
Brinstar** (Melee)
Green Greens** (Melee)
Corneria** (Melee)

* Counter pick levels
** Not sure if they should be counter pick stages
The ones without stars are the "Random" Neutral stages

unityole

Smash Lord
Evan. You have absolutely no competition.

I don't think thats true

Evan's having tri-smash, including brawl, pretty sure people would go for Evan's.
Prizes are better for this Nintendo event, as a matter of fact its much better than just cash prizes but, it would be random people going to this thing and having not be able to join multiple events ruins it. (I would rather have money than to have a ticket to NJ or NY)

I mean for the people thats going to lose, go down there for a day, get knock out early and goes home? pfft, think about the freaking bus/ transit fare. If you're driving, good for you.

I personally think Melee is much better than Brawl, you can say all that you want on how wrong I am but, if theres a Melee tournament and a Brawl tournament, pretty sure more people would go for the Melee tournament. Also note that Evans' TRISMASH?!

Another fact, you can play on a wii remote however you like it but it will not be the same as playing with a GCC, I mean the buttons and everything else on a wii remote.. so messed up...

Since it's nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if there are load of people showing up at the nintendo event, but they are going to be random/ new people who probably aren't very into Brawl. Having yourself with a random low tier character losing to a random guy with cocky attitude with top tier character would make your day rot, why bother.

Having all those fancy dates for all sort types different matches, final, semi-final etc.. big deal. If those are what you're looking for, our lounge opens 24/7, we could just have a huge Smash league going on for say couple of monthes everyweekend, then each player get to play **** load of games against one another. We could also have lots of setups here for lots of friendlies and then have semi-finals and finals in later days (including friendlies and people could watch the finals) I mean you're looking for fun time right? (I could totally spend big bucks on pizza, I mean 50 bucks/ week for pizza? I myself eat well over 100 dollars / week just on food)

The point trying to make here is, come to Evan's, play a lot of Brawl before joining any major Brawl tournament and have fun. This is just a thing nintendo made up, there aren't that many people care about it since they only play for fun, after all Brawl just came out.

ps. Big smash league would sound real fun but probably would take some serious planning.
any thoughts on that? :) if this is succesful, then its smash everyweekend :O

Metà

Smash Master
BTW from what I know there is no random stage selction thing. (What stages are on random and what arent) So I suggest for the first match players can agree on a level or flip a coin to see who gets to choose stage first.

Legal Stages for Brawl IMO
BattleField
FD
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi Story
Animal Crossing Stage
MetaKnights battleship
Fire Emblem Castle
Starfox stage (sorta like battle field forgot the name)
PictoChat*
WarioWare*
Pokemon Spear Pillar*
Mute City 2*
Metroid Stage* (The one with alien in background)
Pokemon Stadium 1** (Melee)
Brinstar** (Melee)
Green Greens** (Melee)
Corneria** (Melee)

* Counter pick levels
** Not sure if they should be counter pick stages
The ones without stars are the "Random" Neutral stages
While I trust your judgement, because you've been playing this game more than most of us, I think I can make a few suggestions.

WarioWare: I've seen some matches here on youtube, including a tournament match where it came down to 1 stock, Sheik (30%) and Marth (>90%), and the Sheik got KO'd instantly by a flying potato or something. It seems too random to be a viable tournament stage IMO.

Delfino Plaza/Halberd/Fire Emblem: While these seem to fairly "neutral" stages with not too many hazards, I think we should keep moving/changing stages off the random stage select. Moving stages tend to favour those with better mobility and recovery, and should be chosen only by counter-pick. Delfino Plaza might be the exception to this rule, however, so it should probably be a neutral/random stage.

Pictochat: At first I thought this would be banned because of hazards, but after watching a few videos, it seems alright--definitely a counter-pick stage.

So, that's all I have to say about the stage selections; I'll add more when I actually get the game. Btw, have you unlocked all 49 (?) stages yet? I think you need to get all of them in order to get the random stage option.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Jack, you misinterpreted my post. That or you're not making sense >_>

John, I disagree with WarioWare soley because the winner of the minigame can receive a star while the other might not. Other than that, I love the stage too. I disagree with Spear Pillar because Palkia just has some really BS attacks (invert controls, turn stage upside down + invert controls) and the cavern at the bottom makes for some really dumb camping.

These were my first impressoins on stages:
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3940195&postcount=443

I'd say we shouldn't ban too many stages right off the bat. A tournament only evolves if we test before banning. I understand there's money on the line, but I'd rather give a stage the benefit of the doubt than ban without giving it a chance.

Evan, those three stages move in a similar fashion to Mute City, not Rainbow Cruise or Poke Floats so it should be fine.

Top Bottom