• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Smash Power Rankings! (11/3/07)

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
I think the biggest thing the PR would benefit is seeding at tournaments.
I don't see why that's very necessary... *cough*juskidding*cough*EricvsForwardfirstmatchrediculous*COUGHCOUGHCOUGH*

I think it might also be good to go past 15.
You're just saying that because it would pretty much guarantee you a spot on the list, and since it would pretty much do the same for me, I give you my total and unwavering support.

EDIT: Also, I think you meant past 10, up to 15. Not past 15.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Don't start off with top 15. I'm not saying this for judgemental reasons. It's because we have enough problems with the Power ranknigs in our community and the last thing we need right now is more arguements which will increase by 200% with 10-15 spot.

Also how do MM's contribute to the PR. The reason I am doing so many money matches with ridciolous people this saturday is if I get a crappy bracket like Eric first round.. then some combo status the next I want my MM's to taken into consideration thats why it's recorded. So if you can watch it over cause you know that **** fo' real son.

...I want to see everyone play this Saturday like it's the last day of melee. And remember to have fu...n, I mean NO JOHNS :]!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
lol yeah, I didn't mean past 15. I meant up to 15, no more than that.
I like this idea, why not eh?

...I want to see everyone play this Saturday like it's the last day of melee. And remember to have fu...n, I mean NO JOHNS :]!
Eric first in melee and Tony first in Brawl would be so fun. I just want to play them 1v1 cause I only got to play them teamed against me in doubles so far. Too fun :p

I like fun, BUUUUUUUUUUT I'm going to sacrifice A FREAKIN TON of fun this tourney by not going Random EVERY match, just some, cause it is too fun. No johns :p

I don't see why that's very necessary... *cough*juskidding*cough*EricvsForwardfirstmatchrediculous*COUGHCOUGHCOUGH*
Swwweeeeeeeetttt

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
MM's should totally count. Anytime money is involved ($5+) I'd consider it to count for SOMETHING.

Tiep: Are you suggesting we change our entire group of panelists? o.O

I'm pretty sure we're gunna keep it at top 10 btw guys. Also, we need to have some in-depth discussion about keeping on / taking off people who are considered "in-active" and what our definition of that would be.

John said he "quit smash".
Robbie Coyle has come out to one smash tournament in the past 3-6 months.
Even Ryan and Tony are questionably in-active in my mind.

We need to figure this out before next week. I think a good rule of thumb is to remove people who don't attend a tournament at least every 2-3 months. What do you guys (specifically tiep, Eric, and Manuel) think?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Yeah like 3 months of inactivity is quite a bit... but I mean if we only have 2 tournaments during those 3 months, you can't be removing people, son.

By the way, PR discussion will now happen through way of FB message thread. They are just so much more convenient than email, and also more private than SWF threads. I'll start the thread now, and include the following panelists, in alphabetical order of course:

Adam
Eric
Manuel
Tiep

I think any more panelists and we're just pushing it. I mean, it's a 10-person PR.

But I still definitely want this thread to be used, for BRAWL PR probably. The reason I wanted Eric to be the one who makes the thread because he's relatively unbiased all the time. =]

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Roby, I'm pretty sure tiep said that MMs wont be counted from now on. Don't quote me on that though I have a terrible memory
That was only if we went with an automated program.

I agree with Evan with using Power Rankings to seed players at tournaments and have thought we should be doing this all along, although the PR is horribly outdated so that's a reason we haven't been doing it.

Patooty

Smash Ace
That was only if we went with an automated program.
Yep.

Yeah like 3 months of inactivity is quite a bit... but I mean if we only have 2 tournaments during those 3 months, you can't be removing people, son.

By the way, PR discussion will now happen through way of FB message thread. They are just so much more convenient than email, and also more private than SWF threads.

I think any more panelists and we're just pushing it. I mean, it's a 10-person PR.

But I still definitely want this thread to be used, for BRAWL PR probably. The reason I wanted Eric to be the one who makes the thread because he's relatively unbiased all the time. =]
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I agree on all points.

Tiep: Are you suggesting we change our entire group of panelists? o.O
No, just to more or less forget what has happened in the past. So when you're making your lists up don't think like "Well, Tiep did bad today, so he moves down to 4th. Adam did good today so he moves up to 5th. Ryan WAS 4th, but now that Tiep is, Ryan get defaulted to 3rd" I know that's never how we did it, but I also know that everyone was always of the mindset of "well, this guy can't be 7th because of his performance today since he's currently 4th." Which is good, 'cause history matters and having a bad day is totally possible.

But because of how long it's been since an update and how totally inaccurate we are now, I think that for the most part we should just try to think about the PR as though we had no current PR. Of course.. there's also using your better judgment too. Because rediculous things CAN and DO happen.

Metà

Smash Master
I wish we had enough players to do a PR for SSB. : (

I've been wondering though, are we as a community going to continue to host Melee at every tournament? I don't think we've had a major tournament so far that was only Brawl, so the Melee PR will continue to serve as a skill gauge for seeding in tournaments. IMO Brawl should go up to 15, because we are going to get a LOT of new players, and it would be nice to have a list of who the actual skilled and dedicated players are. Since it's Brawl though, it will be hard enough to distinguish between lower ranks, and adding 15 may seem unlikely, but keep in mind that it's mostly about relative skill.

It would be like, the top 5 are the people that distinguish themselves at tournaments and place consistently high, 6-10 would be players that are good enough to contest the top 5, and the bottom 5--if we go with 15--would be players that have experience but aren't as consistent and skilled as the top 10.

I probably won't be a panelist though, so I wouldn't have to deal with it, maybe it's too much work. If we have a ranking program though, like Tiep talked about earlier, that might alleviate the work of the panelists.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
melee+64+brawl at every tourney as long as we can. Smash is good all around. And I like the "no thread existed yet" thing. And I don't like the in-active thing being 2 months. I'm not the greatest example cause I'm not that great and from Kelowna and always on tour etc, but after this tourney and the one in the Okanagan here, I might not be able to attend anything until November. That's silly! There's people to smash everywhere and people can keep their game up without attending tourneys, just put them on lay away or hold in a certain position and move people in the same place as them until they come back and it's all sorted out again. Whatevs, I'm not one to make decisions cause I'm bad and making decisions lol.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I personally like how we try and represent all the Smash games at each tournament. But a part of it is because we seem to be doing 2 Day tournaments as much as possible. I can definitely see smaller tournaments be Brawl only, but since we seem to be going with a monthly 2-day thing, it shouldn't be a big problem. If there's still interest in Melee, we could still hold Melee events.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I personally like how we try and represent all the Smash games at each tournament. But a part of it is because we seem to be doing 2 Day tournaments as much as possible. I can definitely see smaller tournaments be Brawl only, but since we seem to be going with a monthly 2-day thing, it shouldn't be a big problem. If there's still interest in Melee, we could still hold Melee events.

lol 2 day events are good. The august 16th one I'm hosting is one day ALL games ALL events. At least it's a gaming center so they can deal with brackets etc and we have 10 set ups. Still, it's gonna be tight. And brown town/jack will have to take over past 6:30 until about 9 because I have a show to play that night. lol I need to do less stuff in my life. :p

Patooty

Smash Ace
I told Eric this.

I don't care who makes it as long as whatever's posted there is what the panelists finally agreed upon.

And when it is time to update, it is updated in a timely manner.

Bonus points for making it pretty :)

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Yeah, actually manuel. I'm gunna say you can go ahead and do that. I ATTEMPTED to throw something together for a new thread last night and I was having some trouble with getting the image of the actual list on there and stuff. Apparently I'm not very computer-savvy myself XD.

I know you'll be good'n honest with them updates too. I say go ahead :)

Also, I want to apologize to the BC melee players in general. We are ACTUALLY discussing this on a facebook topic now and this is something we NEVER thought of before. It's the easiest way for us to discuss it as well. We are having never-before IN DEPTH discussion and some INTENSE debate going on. Expect it to maybe take at least another few days until we actually have the new thread with updated PR list.

Thank you all for your patience in this manner. We are as excited and eager as you all are (I think) to see this thing remade and updated for the first time in over half a year o.O

Best regards,

-Adam

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Lol. Okay. I'll talk to John and ask him to change the title of this thread to BRAWL PR. or something.

I don't think it'll be too much longer before the new PR is up.

edit://

umm, guys. VERY soon I will make the new thread. Please do NOT post in it until Eric, Tiep, and Adam have replied. This is just so when I die, Tiep or someone else can edit their post, and still have it near the top of the first page.

Top Bottom