• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
My Death Note actors are SO legit. My Light's particularly beast.

EDIT--Updated the OP with a new movie, added Central Texas Brawl to the upcoming tournaments, added the link to the MLG Dallas thread, and updated Ricky's profile as well as mine.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Updated my profile? What do you mean?

...Oh. Well, it's true. ^_^

Anyways, do we have to have a Smashfest on Thursday? My classes end late on Thursday and there is this Halo Reach tournament that I'm going to own at 7. I think Friday is more convenient. >.>

:069:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
What are Austin's plans for Thanksgiving weekend? RGV might be having a big tourney then. Want to see who's interested from upstate.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Don't people usually have plans on Thanksgiving? I know I do.

And Ricky, please read before you complain. ^^;
I'll try to see if I can host a fest sometime this week. I'm leaving for Dallas Friday, so it'll have to most likely be Thursday.
This is fun. I like being the prude. ^_^

Reizilla

Don't people usually have plans on Thanksgiving? I know I do.

And Ricky, please read before you complain. ^^;

This is fun. I like being the prude. ^_^
Not always so much Thanksgiving weekend. It's a nice extra day off for the weekend. Gives people time to travel, less room for johns. Well, anyway, it's just speculation for now anyway. Nothing will be confirmed for a while. I know Polt really wanted to come to this last one, so I thought I'd post in here :)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm not trying to crap all over the idea before it gets off the ground, I'm just trying to say that Thanksgiving weekend might not be the best time for to shoot for a big tournament.
Then again, I'm probably wrong. I still don't know much about the Texas brawl scene in general.

Umm... feel free to ignore me at any time. ^^;

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I'm having a fest at my place Thursday, Joel.

And as for Thanksgiving weekend, I'll be back home.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So there is a report of a guy with a gun near the PCL. I'm at the Rec Sports Gym, and now there is a report of a second gunmen somewhere. =/

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ricky (polt) is actually 30 seconds away from the first gunman's attack. He was in class, shots were fired outside, and the guy retreated to the 6th floor of the library.

Second gunmen is in another building, SWAT team is working on him right now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I can say personally I'm fine physically and mentally. I'm rather calm about this, though it does feel somewhat surreal being 10 minutes away from this place. I'm not allowed to leave the gym and no one is allowed inside. I'm sure it's much more surreal for Ricky or your friend Sync.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm at my apartment right now 30 minutes away from campus.

And just in case you guys haven't heard yet: Classes are officially canceled today.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm pretty sure having two gunmen on campus at UT Austin more or less implies that classes will be over, Zigsta.
At least until the gunman are found. Props to UT for canceling all classes throughout the day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Update: They are not allowing anyone out from the shooting area and the area near the tower. Buildings anywhere else, they are asking people to come out with their hands up and are being told to go home. Hopefully, they will be getting to where I am soon so I can get out and get back. So I'm guessing guys like Polt are locked down.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Im good. As soon as I heard classes were canceled I started playing Halo Reach.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think the scariest thought right now is that they haven't found this "potential" second suspect. They are covering everything, but if there is a second suspect, and he is blending in right now with one of us...well...yea. He could easily ditch the rifle and ski mask if he wanted too..

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, here are some details of what happened...

Poltergust recaps the shooting on campus said:
OK, here's a recap of what happened today at the University of Texas at Austin. In case you haven't heard from CNN and such, there was a shooting on campus.

It was probably the most frightful experience of my entire life...

8:25
I was in the Jester building for my History class (the class is on the first floor, by the way). During the class, I felt my phone rumbling in my pocket. I decided to ignore it because I thought it was one of my roommates calling me because they locked themselves out of their room again or something.

8:35
One of the students said that they got a text message from the university police department saying that there was a shooter at the Perry-Castenada Library, which is just across the street from Jester. A wave of panic flew across the 200+ student class. I check my phone and noticed that the text message I got was from the police department warning me of the shooter. I immediately called my mom and dad to inform them of the situation, and I later found out from my mom that this incident already made national news.

One of the students behind me had her laptop out and was playing a live feed at www.kvue.com. At least we were able to get informed of the situation...

We learned that the gunman shot himself, and everyone was relieved for a while. However, we then learned that there may have been a second gunman still on the loose. Everyone was fearful once again.

I played my DS and texted some others to calm my nerves. I was really freaked out, so I had to have something keep me occupied.

9:20
We were led out of the lecture hall, but we had to go outside. Of course, a lot of people protested, but we later found out that they needed to clear the building before letting anyone else inside. They even had the K-9 unit!

When I stepped out, the first thing I noticed was the SWAT truck right across the street. The situation was a lot worse than I thought. With all the sirens, policemen, and the helicopter, it looked like a state of emergency.

We learned more about the gunmen. The one who shot himself was carrying a fully-automatic AK-47. It was believed that the supposed second gunman also had one. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how dangerous that gun is; I don't think it's even legal to own one.

Anyways, the second gunman went east to the Calhoun building, which thankfully is in the opposite direction of Jester. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if he went west with everyone standing outside like that (even with all of the police officers).

After some more waiting, we heard that the second gunman was heading west, but a few blocks north of us. I became worried again and hoped that he didn't turn south...

10:10
After even more waiting, we were finally led back inside. Everyone was starting to get a bit restless, me especially (since I lived in the building but was still not allowed back into my room).

I stopped following the updates on the shooter. I honestly didn't care anymore. I just wanted to get back to the safety of my room.

To calm myself down, I grabbed a soda from the vending machine and texted basically everyone I knew about the situation. I needed someone to talk to since there wasn't a familiar face anywhere.

11:05
People who lived in Jester West were finally allowed to go back to their rooms. Thankfully, I live in Jester West, so I anxiously, but cautiously, headed back there.

And here I am posting this.

I never want to live through this experience again. It's all too horrifying to think about what could have happened.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just gotta stay optimistic and rational Ricky. Know that the chances of his happening ever again for you are super slim to none. On top of that, I'm very thankful no one got hurt aside from the shooter himself. Must've been really tough for you being stuck in Jester like that considering the shots were fired outside. If I were you, just keep yourself distracted and keep your mind off of it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just got back to my apartment. Lockdown is still happening in Jester and PCL. Maybe even Gregory Gym. Other buildings have been allowed to release students. All campus activities are closed though.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, at least classes are closed today and no one else got hurt...

I'm just going to watch some anime to get my mind off of this.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Glad you guys are safe.

Reizilla

Glad everyone up there is safe. Sorta happened to us here, last year. It was a terrible feeling, I remember...

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
you guys are slackers, i went to my classes anyway. (they were all in the same building)
I also proceeded to pester my professor during his would be office hours.

My guns are bigger than theirs.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Top Bottom