• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Well, ADHD left because he was a whinny baby that couldn't get his way.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
They really do need to have some sort of transparency...I mean, what exactly is there to hide? It just seems too suspicious. They are doing stuff for the good of the community...but only if they feel like telling us. What? WHAT?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Welcome to the Austin Brawl Thread, ADHD. Enjoy your stay.

inb4namesearching

theeboredone

Smash Legend
SBR = Government. Government puts up a fake image, but we know there's a bunch of dirty stuff going on. The President is simply a pawn or puppet for some higher power, the three branches of the government is a sham, and a group of people control who becomes President.

Metal GEEAAAARRR

Edit: We find out it's not a group of people, but some super AI computers. I'm sure the SBR is nothing but super computers, and these "members" like Espy are just puppets.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm planning on applying as soon as applications open up. We need a Yoshi main there (no, Crow is not good enough, no offense to him. We need a REAL Yoshi main).

:069:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I still don't really get what the SBR does.
They discuss things and don't really tell people about it (though from what I've seen of it, character boards are a better source for information) and make lists of recommendations that TOs may or may not use?
Is there something I'm missing here that actually gives them some sort of privilege that makes it worth getting into?

Gea

Smash Master
They don't want debates going on outside of the back room about the back room's decisions (for stuff like tier lists). I don't think it should be hidden either but whatever.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
How do people even get into the BBR? Recommendation? Application? Espy status?
What Zigsta said. Above that, doing well on the boards, or having some sort of notable tournament record would help.

Also, that last part...you suck Bored.

It's just weird when they discuss a character but then don't include some of the best players for that character. And then you have good players like Gnes or Razer, who aren't in the BBR because they don't apply or don't even care about it or whatever. And then good players like ADHD who voluntarily leave? That's a sign that something is wrong.
Ah c'mon, RT. You can't completely point a finger at the BBR for that. In several of the BBR's WCDs, the best player/one of the best players for some of the characters just FAIL to INTERACT and DISCUSS.

Look at the Lucario WCD. Lee only made a single post. Granted, it was helpful, and had nice insight here and there, but it failed to sum up Lucario on a decent level. Now go check out the Sonic WCD. Look at the contributions ShadowLink and I made to it.

It takes interaction of the members to do so. When they fail to contribute, the WCD fails to be accurate. The BBR also purges inactive members, but you can't expect all 100 members to always be active. It's just not possible.

Also, Gnes and Razer are incredible players, but their lack of commitment to the character discussions hurt. You need to be willing to give a hand in discussions to help progress the topic. The fact that they don't apply, nor show much interest in the BBR is proof enough, to me, that they lack that kind of commitment to the game and it's progression. Did either Gnes or Razer even contribute to the Diddy and Snake WCDs after they were released to the public? And if they did, was it HELPFUL in any way?

Also, Rei-Gun pretty much summed up why ADHD left. The way I saw it, he didn't feel it necessary to talk to people that he's better than about the game.

I mean, I would just like to see what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe I could come to an understanding why people leave. I'm sure having Espy there is bad enough, but it can't be THAT bad.
...I went through this on the Lucario boards.
It's funny, and I'm aware that it's kind of a joke, but it hurts somewhere inside too, man. ;-; I'm serious.

I've heard it so much, and in so many different ways, that I can't see it as funny anymore.

To be fair, LOTS of good players have ******** opinions.
Oh my god. So much of this.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I have a real serious question...why is it that the BBR allows members that don't actively play the game? Like, why are they even there in the first place? Is it because they are "smart" and can theorycraft about the game? Because there are ton of people who are smart AND actually play the game but aren't in the BBR. Or is it more buddy-buddy type stuff?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I see. Perhaps we are overdue for a subject change, then.

EDIT- Unnnnnfortunately, I'm too tired from working to think of anything.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Fine, change of topic:

Shaun, STOP USING THAT ANNOYING COLOR SCHEME!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have a real serious question...why is it that the BBR allows members that don't actively play the game? Like, why are they even there in the first place? Is it because they are "smart" and can theorycraft about the game? Because there are ton of people who are smart AND actually play the game but aren't in the BBR. Or is it more buddy-buddy type stuff?
I'm actually not too sure of it myself, honestly. Sorry RT.
You can probably ask a veteran member though. I'm sure they'll know more about that conflict. I'm still green.

And in actuality, at least when it comes to all of the members that were inducted along with me, all of us newcomers actively take part in the tournament scenes and whatnot. The only person in our group (I think) that doesn't actually extensively play the game is Crow!.

And his contributions to SWF in general have been pretty astounding, so I can see why he'd be allowed in.

I do have a question of your personal opinion. Do you think allowing any user to view the BRoom would be detrimental? Not wanting to open discussion there. Just yes/no whatever.
I'm not sure. I cannot give you a simple yes or no, because that's not how I feel. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to trap me like that. ;-;

I'd want to say yes because I'm all for transparency of the Back Room. I'd love it if we were able to share everything we discuss with the regular members of SWF.

However, I have trouble when I think about how the community generally reacts to discussions as a whole. I mean, look at the 3.0 Ruleset. There was almost NOTHING about the rules themselves that were virtually changed, and as a whole, the stage list practically didn't change at all.

Despite this, the community backlash was incredible. I'd rather not risk another situation like that just because of a misunderstanding (because in all seriousness, that's ALL the 3.0 rule set was, and it was blown out of proportion thanks to players).

It doesn't help that players usually tend to follow top players like M2K and ADHD more often than the BBR, even though their views are pretty extreme.

The community is vicious, and to be honest, I'd rather not risk damaging the already-weakened connection between the BBR and the community.

MLG didn't help (by pretty much disregarding our rule suggestions) either. :p

ADMJP

Smash Apprentice
they just playing smash, yo.
they aint gotta be role models or mentors.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Chris accidentally texted me his plans (along with Xyro's) to kidnap me and take me to HOBO. Wtf...

Edit: Espy, I'm sorry. My own heart ached with yours when you read that. To make it up, I will hand you a virtual sonic ring.

2nd Edit: I wouldn't mind the BBR being transparent, but there are WAY too many trolls and morons to let them go posting whatever they want. Still though, I personally feel that the SBR needs an Ike rep cause he gets undermined way too much. I personally didn't care much about the past tier lists, since it would be funnier to people lose to Ike, but given how the general consensus of our board (including me) knows he deserves to be higher simply means that either we are missing a vital point (which hasn't been explained to us) or they are missing the point. We have plenty of intelligent talkers such as Niddo, Nysyarc (AWOL), San, etc. Some more negotiable than others. Point is, if possible, I would like to see a rep for each character. You're right Espy when you say that some characters like Gnes or Razer don't contribute as much, but it would be good to at least try and have a rep for each character. The person doesn't even have to be good. If he knows what he's talking about (Niddo), then I would find him acceptable.

Reizilla

I think the BBR should at least release some of their discussions after the fact. Especially on some of the more controversial things like the gimping Ganon rule :p and the stage discussions. These are the things that would help people understand most, because they're the things that people are the most stubborn about. And it's hard for a lot of people to grasp based on a few little paragraphs.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's honestly nothing wrong with removing the Ganon rule, Rei.
Besides, the Ganondorf Suicide Rule was never covered on ANY of the BBR Rule Sets.

It was an arbitrary rule that gave an unnecessary buff to a character. Ganondorf's bad because that's how the game programmed him to be, and it makes no sense to go against the game's wishes when we don't have to.

It sucks for Ganondorf mains. I mean, it REALLY sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
But then it wouldn't be the cool kids' club if all the squares knew what was going on.
Also, forget you, Chris! I like my autumn colors. :<

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> I agree with the last few parts of Mustafa's post. Every character should have representation whether it be the best main (San for Ike; Chu/ YbM for Kirby), someone who further's the metagame on a cosistent basis, or someone who is a large influence over the direction of their character's bored (seeeee wut I did thur?).

Does the MBR have this same problem of dissent from the common users against the backroomers for Melee? Cuz if not, what's the difference between MBR and BBR and why does the MBR work should be asked.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They are two completely different groups, and I haven't been keeping up with MBR stuff since...ever.
You'd have to ask someone else.

@JoWii: Again, the issue is activity. I'm pretty sure people like San and Chu would've been adding in in a heartbeat, but they have yet to apply.

In fact, I think Chu was actually purged from the BBR because of inactivity.
Besides, Kewkky's back there.
...actually, no. He's off with the Navy n' stuff.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Why don't they just invite people instead of waiting for applications?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If people were invited, chances are they would accept and then do very little in the BBR. You don't invite someone for a job, you have them apply with the rest of the field and you choose who's the best.

Reizilla

Yeah, I get the reason for the rule, but I play my own Brawl anyway >:p That was mostly a joke. I assume by you not reponding to the rest of my post, you agree :p

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Lol, well I understand that but that's not necessarily what I meant. If you can get the best main, get 'em. If not? Get one of the other two is the next best option.

I <3 Kewkky but he isn't as active as he prolly should be w/ his moderator responsibilities and BBR status. (I'm not knocking him as either becuz he's great but he's not the most active person in the Kirby boards and he's joining the navy which will effectively minimize his time). I'll prolly apply next time BBR is accepting because I'm prolly the most knowledgeable on the Kirby boards about our character. >_> When I play Hylian everyday I'll get my skill up there shortly thereafter.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll most likely apply as well next time around, but I'll be just as happy if San or Niddo get in. I just want an Ike rep there. With that being said, when tier list discussions come up, I can't really say much about other chars because I won't have the expert knowledge a main would have. All I can do is look at tourny results and go based off my MU exp with them.

Reizilla

Do you all need a troll/hater back there, Espy? If so, I'd be willing to fill the position.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I guess I'm selfish but I'll chalk it up to being concerned because I think I'm the most qualified from the Kirby board beside Kewkky. If one of the other ones got it.......

>_> I'd be sad and worried. Though, more Kirbeh rep is needed in the BBR as well!

Unless YbM got it though I doubt he'd be active since he's never in the Kirbeh boards cuz he knows Kirbeh well. >_> Chu doesn't really seem to know a great amount about Kirby either but he's simply remarkable so....ya.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
They should combine to form CHU B M!
Or YbDAT!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Chu black man?

Young black dat?

Nah, they should combine and be Y.b.CHU,DATm.! So young black chu, dat man!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's an obvious trap.
Xyro thinks you'll be an easy win because you'll be deprived of food.

BTW. Good luck at HOBO, guys!
Show them that Austin isn't as dead as Hylian makes us out to be. :p

Top Bottom