• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the "ask gimpyfish questions about metaknight" thread, and general mk discussion

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Gimpyfish62
Smash World Forums Metaknight Questions Thread
2/25/2008

1. There seems to be an attraction between your Metaknight and DSF's Olimar. Is there any truth to this supposed liaison? Is there possibly an affair behind the scenes?

DSF's Olimar actually recently stopped seeing my Metaknight. Since then he has tried with metaknight and marth among any others, but there seems to be no consistent relationship brewing with any of the previously mentioned.

2. Please describe Metaknight as how good he would be if he had teh fire.

If Metaknight had teh fire (also known as t3h ph1r3 in some dialects) he would be uber pwn
sauce over 9000.

3. In relation to question 2, how does Metaknight do versus Roy? Does he counter Roy? Does Roy do better or worse than Marth?

Metaknight is actually countered by Roy because he does in fact have t3h ph1r3, where Metaknight does not. He also does better than Marth, simply because he is a better character.

4. When gliding with Metaknight, particularly underneath the stage, do you often personally emit a "vrrrrrrrrraaaawwwmmmm" noise reminiscent of a plane in flight? If so, why.

I always emit a "vrrrrrrrrraaaawwwmmmm" noise upon gliding. Not only does it do the mind games but it also makes me feel like a superior flying machine.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Gimpyfish62
2/25/2008

1. There seems to be an attraction between your Metaknight and DSF's Olimar. Is there any truth to this supposed liaison? Is there possibly an affair behind the scenes?

DSF's Olimar actually recently stopped seeing my Metaknight. Since then he has tried with metaknight and marth among any others, but there seems to be no consistent relationship brewing with any of the previously mentioned.

If Metaknight had teh fire (also known as t3h ph1r3 in some dialects) he would be uber pwn
sauce over 9000.

3. In relation to question 2, how does Metaknight do versus Roy? Does he counter Roy? Does Roy do better or worse than Marth?

Metaknight is actually countered by Roy because he does in fact have t3h ph1r3, where Metaknight does not. He also does better than Marth, simply because he is a better character.

4. When gliding with Metaknight, particularly underneath the stage, do you often personally emit a "vrrrrrrrrraaaawwwmmmm" noise reminiscent of a plane in flight? If so, why.

I always emit a "vrrrrrrrrraaaawwwmmmm" noise upon gliding. Not only does it do the mind games but it also makes me feel like a superior flying machine.
Thanks for that, that cracked me up!

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Gimpyfish62
2/25/2008

I feel great remorse at this answer but can do nothing but mark it as correct.

sauce over 9000.
Again, correct response. Extra credit points for including variant methods of expressing "t3h ph1r3."

While your logic here is unassailable when you mention that Roy does in fact have t3h ph1r3 and thus pwns MK, a ph1r3-less character, you need to further explain your assertion that he is simply a better character than Marth. I understand that having t3h ph1r3 renders him a much better character, but saying "simply" may lead one to imply the existence of tiers, which don't exist.

Excellent answer. I would also have accepted, "No I do not emit the noise, my MK is better than everyone else's and thus emits the noise on his own" or "I always emit the noise, no matter what movement I make" and also "I AM a superior flying machine, and cannot help but emit the noise."

Overall, you did very well, and in answering all four questions I'll give you an extra 10 points. However, since MK does not have t3h f1r3, I'll have to lower your grade to a D-

Next time, please bring some f1r3 to the exam.

-Fleurs

Loks

Smash Rookie
Gimpy!! First of all, thanks so much for all the insight! Very much apreciated :)

Anywho! On with my questions.. And sorry, I know you've just about had it with the neutral B move, but I figured one more question couldn't hurt :p well first let me explain how I've been using it. Generally I try to keep the opponent close to me when I start it, either falling into them or doing it close enough to catch them in it right away. If I don't get them caught in it, I simply whirl away to the other side of the stage or float up to a platform, cause if you're level with the ground there's usually no lag time. I was wondering if you've experimented with this before and if you think its a really risky move. I don't get to play too many people right now so I don't know how other players would react :(

My second question is about a tough match-up i'm having vs a Wolf player. The way this guy plays is all turtle turtle turtle! Examples would be firing a few lasers, fox trotting away and excessive down doddging. Playing too aggresive obviously isn't the way to go, but with lasers flying at me it's sorta hard to force an opening. Also, he'll never miss a shield grab. So far i've tried keeping it close game using F tilts and grabs, and only aerials when I see an opening. I'm just finding it extremely hard to get past his long range F smash/F tilt and lasers pretty much. Any pointers? (Sorry if the description is kinda vague, I'll be uploading a video soon if that helps)

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
ok, here are some questions and one answer:

first let's go with the answer:
Guys...

...who's top tier?
the answer is bowser because he has gimpy's blessing.

now to the questions..

1) As far as I understood the problem with using the tornado is the fact that it can be punished after the move is over and isn't good enough to eat shields. That wouldn't make it a good offensive choice. However I think it might be used as a good defensive move.. expecially out of shield. If it moves fast enough horizontally wouldn't it be good in order to counter a spaced aerial? (expecially because of the new gravity). If it works it could also be a valid alternative to Up B out of shield, so that we could save its power to keep it as a killing move, and because of its large hitbox it could turn out to be very effective against tall characters and the fatties which appearently are the ones who give metaknight most problems atm (Ike, Marth, D³, Snake).

2) Projectiles are going to be a pain because of the new game mechanics.. have you guys found some ways to counter them?

3) How does metaknight do against Rob?

4) What's the best stuff metaknight has got speaking of ground game?

5) How easy is punishing metaknight?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
ok, here are some questions and one answer:

first let's go with the answer:

the answer is bowser because he has gimpy's blessing.

now to the questions..

1) As far as I understood the problem with using the tornado is the fact that it can be punished after the move is over and isn't good enough to eat shields. That wouldn't make it a good offensive choice. However I think it might be used as a good defensive move.. expecially out of shield. If it moves fast enough horizontally wouldn't it be good in order to counter a spaced aerial? (expecially because of the new gravity). If it works it could also be a valid alternative to Up B out of shield, so that we could save its power to keep it as a killing move, and because of its large hitbox it could turn out to be very effective against tall characters and the fatties which appearently are the ones who give metaknight most problems atm (Ike, Marth, D³, Snake).

2) Projectiles are going to be a pain because of the new game mechanics.. have you guys found some ways to counter them?

3) How does metaknight do against Rob?

4) What's the best stuff metaknight has got speaking of ground game?

5) How easy is punishing metaknight?
1: Neutral b does minimal damage, maybe 10% if you hit with all the moves. It's a decent way to recover or to throw off your opponent, but it's really easy to avoid being punished by it. If they are walling up in a shield, then just go grab a ledge.

2: MK is fast enough to get to his opponent quickly without having to deal with much projectile spam.

3: Don't know.

4: Down smash, dash attack, dash grab, tilt down, tilt forward. Those are his best ground moves, and they're fantastic.

5: Depends. He dies really easily, but his moves have little to no start-up, so it's hard to find an opening against him.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
My second question is about a tough match-up i'm having vs a Wolf player. The way this guy plays is all turtle turtle turtle! Examples would be firing a few lasers, fox trotting away and excessive down doddging. Playing too aggresive obviously isn't the way to go, but with lasers flying at me it's sorta hard to force an opening. Also, he'll never miss a shield grab. So far i've tried keeping it close game using F tilts and grabs, and only aerials when I see an opening. I'm just finding it extremely hard to get past his long range F smash/F tilt and lasers pretty much. Any pointers? (Sorry if the description is kinda vague, I'll be uploading a video soon if that helps)
Down-smash comes out extremely fast, I'd suggest doing that if he's going to spam dodge, you'll find that you can use two downsmashes before he can dodge/block and grab. He shouldn't be hitting you with more than one or two lasers during your approach. You can approach from the air or the ground. You don't have to land when you're in the air attacking him on the ground. You can stay floating around and even getting behind his shield so he can't grab you. As MK, you can't stay defensive against someone like wolf who is content to laser camp.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Can his cape taunt be used to fool your foe that you are about to teleport? (down smash)

lol that would be a lot of fun.

Also, can you risk to fall if you glide under the stage?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hey Gimpy, have you been exploring any uses for powershielding? Since it's much easier in this game, I've been hearing a lot about how people are practicing and getting good at it, and I'm wondering what you think MK's best uses would be for it.

ATM, I'm thinking powershield d-smash would be the most useful one given its KO power. Plus, if an opponent hits your shield, odds are they will try to DI their character away from you; this may add to the d-smash's KO potential.

Unfortunately, more ranged characters can probably hit your shield, DI away, and remain out of d-smash range. Seems like powershield dash attack or powershield dashing grab would be the thing to do. Another interesting idea might be powershield down+b, although I'm very doubtful concerning the effectiveness of that. If you've been d-smashing or n-airing too much, maybe it would be a decent alternate KO move.

On a side note, since many of MK's attacks have multiple hits, it seems like powershielding him will be less viable than it would against other characters. That's good.

Truthfully though, I'm not as interested in practicing powershielding as I am in learning MK's timing and the reach of his moves, but it's something to keep in mind as the meta-game advances.

Thoughts?

The Last Yoshi

Smash Rookie
In addition to that, who's moveset is better? Yoshi's or Meta Knight's?

Don't bring Yoshi into this. Yoshi's incredible in this game, those that disagree never knew how to use Yoshi in the first place.

On an actual tier list I'd honestly say Yoshi and MK are rather close (metaknight being slightly higher of course).

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Don't bring Yoshi into this. Yoshi's incredible in this game, those that disagree never knew how to use Yoshi in the first place.

On an actual tier list I'd honestly say Yoshi and MK are rather close (metaknight being slightly higher of course).
Yeah, Yoshi is good, but I never liked him.

The Last Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Ha. No, not many people do. Anyone that plays Yoshi has only to be humble and happy with what they get.

I can't get away from him. Every Smash game I've gravitated towards Yoshi. Sad he looks even dumber than before...

To make up for it all, I'm going to get good with two badass characters: Wolf and Metaknight. Then I will find balance.

1st. Yoshi is not even CLOSE to Meta Knight in anything. Period.

2nd. YOu people can't detct sarcasm. I purposly compared two completely different characters and asked which was better in comparison to the "Wolf vs Meta Knight" comment. Sheeeesh. '~'

Gindler

Smash Champion
Since it said ask, what chance would yoshi have against a flyer like metaknight? ceiling KO? meteor smashing?

just want to bone up on my newcomer tactics for that gamestop tourney. hopefully yoshi isn't too much different.

Darksol55

Smash Cadet
ok sorta off topic, but is Zelda good or does she suck compared to Meta-Knight and ZSS?

The Last Yoshi

Smash Rookie
1st. Yoshi is not even CLOSE to Meta Knight in anything. Period.

2nd. YOu people can't detct sarcasm. I purposly compared two completely different characters and asked which was better in comparison to the "Wolf vs Meta Knight" comment. Sheeeesh. '~'
Firstly, your sarcasm seemed to insinuate that people unanimously agree that Yoshi is horrible so OF COURSE when you ask "who would win, Yoshi or MK LOLOll" it would be a sarcastic remark.

My statement simply points out that you do not have full support in believing that Yoshi is "bad."

Second, Yoshi beats Metaknight in few things such as damage dealing, damage taking and kill potential. This justifies my saying that Metaknight IS better overall but I do not think Yoshi is very far behind. Yoshi is a very easy target to underestimate in smash because hardly a percentage of the smash community plays him so its very easy to say "Hey everyone, Yoshi sucks right?" and look around to find a bunch of blank faces and whatevers. No one cares about Yoshi.

Still, its going to be hard to see for a long time whether or not two equally skilled people playing MK and Yoshi would fare one way or the other. All I have to base it on is that I do well with Yoshi against everyone I've played in Brawl and that these people were great melee players and play Brawl all the time. I'm making no claims at Yoshi being higher tier than Metaknight, only that he shouldn't be brushed aside as a character to not take seriously.

Top Bottom