• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the "ask gimpyfish questions about metaknight" thread, and general mk discussion

TheHitmanGuava

Smash Rookie
Quick question, I understand you guys don't see Meta being top tier, but how about high tier? This would make me happy since I don't want everyone overusing him.

Thanks.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
What are some good ways to practice spacing?

How does neutral B match up against projecticles? ( will negate foxes laser? a fireball? a fully charged aura sphere?)

Do any of his moves have a sweet spot effect? ( I think I've heard his D-air does)

What is the best way to edge gaurd?
To practice spacing, fight a good Marth or Ike player who's also trying to practice spacing.

Tornado will cancel weak projectiles (like fireballs) but will get hit by stronger ones (like smash missiles). I don't use the move enough to give you a projectile-by-projectile analysis on the spot, but if it's weaker than a missile it should cancel.

MK's nair is his only "sweetspot" in that if you're on top of the other player when you start it, it does a lot more damage/knockback than just hitting them with the sword. Also, it ***** bosses. His dair will hit the opponent left or right depending on which side of it you hit with, but it's not a sweetspot.

Quick question, I understand you guys don't see Meta being top tier, but how about high tier? This would make me happy since I don't want everyone overusing him.

Thanks.
It's obligatory to say that tiers don't exist yet, but a local tournament had the top 3 being a MK player, a peach player, and me (a Wolf player). It seems there's more balance in Brawl than in Melee, at least so far. Wait and see.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i like metaknight, i dont have any sort of attachment to pit, if i wanted to use a really good character and didn't care about where he came from i'd use marth

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
*is to lazy to see if this has been asked before*
what move eats shields the most?

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
wassup gimpy....
ive got a question.
why does everyone keep asking about tier when the should realize that there wont be a decent tier list out for atleast the next half a year???

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
I was reading this one thread that categorized the characters in melee. For example, Marth was a "spacing" type character and falco was a "pressure" type character. (I tried to find the thread again but couldn't; if I do find it I'll post a link) How would you categorize metaknight? (example: a character who you have to be patient with, and punish your opponent when they mess up.)

Maben

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see how you can take two COMPLETELY different characters and just outright ask: "Which is better?". The game has been out for like 3 weeks and people are hoping for an answer like "Wolf sux, metaknight pwns" and it's just not gonna happen. Even if you were to get such an answer, it's one guy's opinion so I hardly see how it matters (no offense Gimpy). This thread is meant to answer questions regarding METAKNIGHT and how he plays based on what Gimpyfish has observed.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
I really don't see how you can take two COMPLETELY different characters and just outright ask: "Which is better?". The game has been out for like 3 weeks and people are hoping for an answer like "Wolf sux, metaknight pwns" and it's just not gonna happen. Even if you were to get such an answer, it's one guy's opinion so I hardly see how it matters (no offense Gimpy). This thread is meant to answer questions regarding METAKNIGHT and how he plays based on what Gimpyfish has observed.
this is exactly what i was saying....why the F are people asking about high tier when the game has been out for such a small amount of time?
no one knows whos supposed to be the best and no one knows who is supposed to be the worst.
so, STOP asking about tier cause we arent going to know about it for a while.

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
this is exactly what i was saying....why the F are people asking about high tier when the game has been out for such a small amount of time?
no one knows whos supposed to be the best and no one knows who is supposed to be the worst.
so, STOP asking about tier cause we arent going to know about it for a while.
Dude people were asking for a tier list after the ridiculously limited E 4 All demo. It was inevitable that there would be floods of stupid tier questions and thoughts now that the game was officially released...and its jut going to get worse.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Guys...

...who's top tier?
:chuckle:

On a serous note gimpy, in your vids you seem to never use the B moves. Any particular reason?

MDK00

Smash Ace
Guys...

...who's top tier?
:chuckle:

On a serous note gimpy, in your vids you seem to never use the B moves. Any particular reason?
i'll just be a nice guy about this cuz if some1 responds to you b4 i did they'd eat you alive for asking this question...

dont ask about tiers it is too early to tell, and there is already lots of info about MK's B-moves so please jus read about the 1st 3 pgs in this thread you will find what your looking for

edit

Another question...

How do you go about approaching characters like Toon Link, Link, Pit, or any characters with stunning projectiles?

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
i'll just be a nice guy about this cuz if some1 responds to you b4 i did they'd eat you alive for asking this question...

dont ask about tiers it is too early to tell, and there is already lots of info about MK's B-moves so please jus read about the 1st 3 pgs in this thread you will find what your looking for

edit

Another question...

How do you go about approaching characters like Toon Link, Link, Pit, or any characters with stunning projectiles?

He was joking........but he has answered the B move question many times.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
So I hear if you have someone near the top of the screen, you can use neutral B to carry them off the top. Ever give that a shot?

Also, I still think meta has killing power, just not in the hit them off the screen kind of way. He can gimp like no other.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
What moves do you use to KO opponents and how do you deal with range weapons (Snake) And are you banned? It says your banned?

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Couple of questions.

MK is my second main next to well you know.

1. Does MK have a spike?

2. Does he lack in KO moves(that what people say in general)?

3. Would you say he racks up damage well?

4. Does you think that the Drill move has a good use?

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Please answer 3 of the 4 questions listed below. You have 30 minutes in total, approximately 10 minutes per question in short answer form. When you are finished, please hand in your questions to me with your name written above.

1. There seems to be an attraction between your Metaknight and DSF's Olimar. Is there any truth to this supposed liaison? Is there possibly an affair behind the scenes?

2. Please describe Metaknight as how good he would be if he had teh fire.

3. In relation to question 2, how does Metaknight do versus Roy? Does he counter Roy? Does Roy do better or worse than Marth?

4. When gliding with Metaknight, particularly underneath the stage, do you often personally emit a "vrrrrrrrrraaaawwwmmmm" noise reminiscent of a plane in flight? If so, why?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Gimpy, I have an improtant question.

Can Metaknight shield cancel any of his attacks? Namely his jabs or his forward tilt combo?

Could he do something like Forward A, forward A, Shield cancel, D-smash?

Top Bottom