• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Anime Convention Thread! Discuss upcoming cons and tournaments!

Lobos

Smash Master
Katsucon is only but a few thousand people.......Otakon is in the Ten Thousands of people lol.....still a fun con tho otakon would be so much better if it were 24/7 like katsucon

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Otakon game room >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any Con's gameroom evar (maybe except Anime Expo?? I've never been though).

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Yeah Otakon gets a huge gameroom, though Katsu's last year was >>> anything because it had virtual-ON arcade... SERIOUSLY you can't beat that.

BTree and Okin, we need to be hittin the **** up again. We need to make that delicious mix again... The one that was meant to be a punishment for that ping pong ball ceiling drinking game we made up. That stuff was delicious.

~rh

Smash Lord
This Otakon I'm making skittles vodka at the hotel.
I'll make for everyone. ;D

**** is DELCICIOUS.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
hey add this to the anime con list
http://animebanzai.org/

utah's premiere convention
there's always a big gameroom and i was in charge of the smash tourney in 09
they made me cap it at 32 but this year if i can enough setups we might be able to have as many as we want

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Okay so it's a STRUGGLE to get responses for this poll I have and since I know you all go to cons you should answer T_T please...it helps me out a lot...

ARTIST ALLEY HELP!

All, if you go to conventions and look through Artist Alley please continuing reading.

Sooo yea, for those who don't know me I'm a vendor usually as an artist at anime conventions. I've been doing that for a few years now.

But I just wanted to get some feedback on what people enjoyed/didn't enjoy about going to an Artist Alley area. It'll help me out to know what people buy and go looking for.

TL;DR plz answer ;D

1. When you go to an AA what you do look for in particular? (buttons, bookmarks, prints, commissions, posters, other...)(please specify other)

2. Do you look for fanart or original art?

3. When and if you buy prints, what do you usually do with them after the con? (What's your method of presentation or archiving in other words).

4. What are your top 5 to 10 types of subject matter you look for when going into an AA (characters, couples, series, genre etc...)(ie: specific characters/couples etc...like Cloud, NarutoxHinata, Cowboy Bebop as a series).

5. What's the first thing you notice about a table when you walk by? (presentation, art, something cute, etc...)

6. When it comes to price, how much does this play a role in your wanting to buy something?

7. What's the highest price you've ever bought a print for (if you have).

8. What's your biggest gripe (complaint) about looking around AA's?

Shinku

Smash Champion
1. i usally look for kick azz pictures that look tight. i try not to look for yaoi like goku n vegeta or L and kira getting it on. i try to stay away from those. other than that really cool pics

2. i prefer fan art. they usally have a sense of style in comparison to orginal art that i like.

3. i just hang them up in my room or display them in some way. fwap fwap

4. i love trigun to death, defitnly my favorite types of pics to see. i like naruto but jesus, i feel like every freaking table does the same thing of it over and over in a different way. i did see a really good assasins creed at katsu, if i run into her again im deftinly buying that print of him sitting on his throne looking like a g. also less yaoi more yuri lmao

5. obviously the type of of art there using. i usually notice how there presenting there characters in there aspect. like spike taking a nap under a tree or kakshi buying cereal at a gorcerry store. basically the unusual different gets me intrigged

6. honestly i buy alot more if some of the stuff wasnt so freaking expensive and overpriced in my opinion. like a poster of ryu is 120 when i could just look up someones art on deveiant and go to kinkos. lol. no really i think 20-30 bucks for stuff like that should be fine.

7. i think 80, it was sakura from sf

8. smelly fat people? surprisely alot of the people there are very very nice and cool as hell to talk to. if i had to complain it probly be the crowds but in a way thats the beauty of AA's

KageMurphy

Smash Master
1. When you go to an AA what you do look for in particular? (buttons, bookmarks, prints, commissions, posters, other...)(please specify other)
- I look for neat posters and drawings, for me this often includes anything with female boobies and bad *** anime characters.

- Fanart, I fan's imagination often spawns an awesome picture. See; Hentia.

3. When and if you buy prints, what do you usually do with them after the con? (What's your method of presentation or archiving in other words).
- I display them somewhere nice in my room, unless its nudity, that goes in the basement :3

4. What are your top 5 to 10 types of subject matter you look for when going into an AA (characters, couples, series, genre etc...)(ie: specific characters/couples etc...like Cloud, NarutoxHinata, Cowboy Bebop as a series).
-Hentia, fights, group pics, cool good guy pose and my fav series~

5. What's the first thing you notice about a table when you walk by? (presentation, art, something cute, etc...)
- The presentation, if its set up sloppy I won't even try looking through it, unless the seller is hot.

6. When it comes to price, how much does this play a role in your wanting to buy something?
- I prefer fairly priced things, like it's okay to make a profit but sometimes you can tell when its too much and if the seller is ugly that's not helping.

- My first Otakon, 20 bucks for a YYH group picture, it's lovely to this day~

- If a chick really wants to sell her work then she needs to go hard for it, I want less clothing on them ho's if they want agood sale!

thumbswayup

Smash Master
1. Posters most likely, bad *** ones.

2. Either or, but if it's original it's gotta blow me away immediately. I prefer fanart I think.

3. I don't believe I've bought anything from the artist alley (contemplated it many times before)

4. BAD *** PICS. A cool character doing something awesome, either that or something that relates to the series i.e. the eclipse from Berserk LMAO like THAT'S EVER going to be put on display XD

If not that, then a cool character doing something they didn't do in the show or game they were in, like them in a situation that doesn't relate to their story. Mike and I begged the guys in the AA at Otakon to draw us an enormous poster of Femto vs the Joker on the streets of Chicago HAHAHA we told them we'd give em five hundred bucks and they seriously thought about it rofl

5. Agree with Phil on this one, the presentation is very important.

6. Not much unless it's noticably too high. I'll spend a decent amount if I'm getting quality stuff (as mentioned above LOL)

7. Haven't bought one yet

8. A good deal of the art sucks, uninteresting designs that I wouldn't spend any amount on. A great drawing has to be well drawn BUT ALSO must be OF SOMETHING interesting/awesome/bad ***.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer

Mainly commissions, but sometimes buttons/stickers/etc. if they catch my interest

Either or is fine. It'll all come down to the art style to which I'll like more.

I place them in my pofollio. Once I get my own scanner, they would be scanned within my computer hard drive

- Original/fan characters

- Mario Brothers universe

- Nintendo series

- Capcom series (starting with Mega Man series)

- SEGA series (starting with Sonic)

I always expect the tables to look fine/stable, as well as the person behind the table to be nice, so the first thing I'll notice is the artwork style. I look to see if the artwork style is the right style for the taste I have in said artwork. I have several specifics in mind, not to mention I look to see how the artwork is presented.

Wouldn't matter much, really. I go for quality in the artwork. I don't really look into the prices all that much, as long as it's reasonable (Example: It's BAD pricing to charge a Black and white sketch for around 50 dollars for a single character. I don't care how good quality that pen is >: )

If we're talking in a AA area, I'd say about...60 dollars or so.

A commission outside of a convention? about 120-150 dollars.

Nothing much to really complain about except just finding a artist to do a commission with =/. I had that feeling in Anime Boston last year >>

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Wait why did you have a hard time finding someone to do commishes with? Most artist's CRAVE commissions o_o

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Wait why did you have a hard time finding someone to do commishes with? Most artist's CRAVE commissions o_o
Cause I couldn't find a artstyle I really liked/enjoyed.

Not to say they sucked or anything. They were good arts and all. I'm just SLIGHTLY picky on artstyles that I like. The only ones I wanted to commission at the time was your table (but you was busy) and the guy's table next to yours (it kind ranged between wanting and like 'meh, whatever').

0kin

Smash Journeyman
Anyone cosplayingfor Otakon? This year i will be for the first time. I've got Luigi and Gene Starwind(Outlaw Star) lined up. And for the rave im going to be a hipster pikachu

Shinku

Smash Champion
the one otakon im not coming to, okin cosplay's. im the only consistent smasher in md/va that cosplays at conventions, including brawl and melee people.

okin i think ive seen you dress up as luigi before, either at chus or some big tourney.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I didn't see it sifting through the thread, but what's going on for this years otakon? I've never been before, but I'm going with a few friends and my gf. She's been before and said there's been tournaments every year....but she mentioned items and FFA....lol.

Anything legit? I haven't played in months, but I'd throw down for sure if it was a competitive tournament.

....don't think I'm cosplaying...lol. Not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Someone go as Olimar.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I didn't see it sifting through the thread, but what's going on for this years otakon? I've never been before, but I'm going with a few friends and my gf. She's been before and said there's been tournaments every year....but she mentioned items and FFA....lol.

Anything legit? I haven't played in months, but I'd throw down for sure if it was a competitive tournament.

....don't think I'm cosplaying...lol. Not sure I can bring myself to do it.

Someone go as Olimar.
Tournaments are FFAs in singles for the first few round, and last year, there was items being played (as well as any stage you could choose, not counting the custom stages). There's also teams as well. Trophies are awarded usually.

Top Bottom