• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Angelic Step

kupo15

Smash Hero
the hold back timing is very slight, only enough to pivot. This goes for all moves, not just the sidestep. Timing is a hard tech to teach. It just requires practice ^_^

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah but i dunno everyitme i go to training mode an am trying to do it, i look at me repetitively failing and then i look at bowser standing in the conrner and i always find myself working combos on him instead of Angelic stepping haha

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I'm just saying that would've been clearer. Your instructions kinda messed me up. I had to figure out the exact method on my own.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
Ok im a little confused...so sidestep is when u L cancel, tilt back and hold forward...thats what i've been doing..so the Angelic Step is when u do it w/o the L cancel..or what? ugh...

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Angelic Step is when you sidestep/roll/shield/fire arrow etc., tilt back and hold forward. If done correctly, you should see yourself slide forward and do the pivot animation twice.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Is this only useful for out of a spotdodge. What are the tactical applications of this out of other moves? I can't get it out of arrows, but it seems useful out of an arrow or out of an angel ring.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah I've got several clips in my latest compilation video of me preforming buffered Pivot Slides out of arrows to secure my approach. ^_^

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I can't quite get it down like your in the vid, I usually Arrow > AS > Arrow > dash.

oh well that is why you practice

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Another question?

Do other characters use this. From what I have seen Link could greatly benefit, as could Samus. I haven't tested it with other characters, but it appears it works for many characters to different degrees.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
I was practicing with this today (I finally got the timing down), and I'm really starting to see it's applications.

Something of particular interest to me was how much it can extend pit's grab-kick chain game. You can angelic step out of the animation where your opponent breaks from your grab, which combined with it's increased grab range properties can create a pretty nasty grab-kick-drop-repeat combo.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So are you saying Pit has a wriggle combo with the angelic step? It seems like you won't be able to get there in time before he retaliates but I will test this.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
This all depends on how long the grab-release animation lasts. If it's too short, they can easily dodge the second grab and retaliate.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
This all depends on how long the grab-release animation lasts. If it's too short, they can easily dodge the second grab and retaliate.
Like many Pit ATs, it's really about the mindgames, and reducing the predictability of your attacks and combos. If they aren't expecting it, it's that much easier to pull off. However I have caught someone who broke and started running away. Admittedly it was Ganondorf, which isn't saying much for speed.

In any case, it should be noted that you can AS out of the grab break animation.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
That's why I favor the dash-AS-alternating chaingrab. Actually it's not really atlernating, because that would be predictable. I randomly decide which one to use after the opponent breaks free from the previous one. It turns Pit's chaingrab into yet another addition to his massive mindgame arsenal and is very effective at maximizing the duration of the chaingrab.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yup, that is why I love grabbing. (I thought I had everything in that vid too) This AS is noted ^_^

I would also like to point out that the AS timing on throws changes with the weight of the character you are throwing. So you are going to have to learn a couple of timings for the same move

Ramenbowl

Smash Rookie
Ugh I still don't seem to get it...
So in terms of pure button mashing:
I hold L, press down to spot dodge, tap back then hold forward?

kown

Smash Lord
angelic step is simialar to pivot boosting...i think. but i reccomend learning pivot boosting cuz it takes less time to do with a smiliar effect... but u can learn both cuz its not hard once u get it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Pivot Boosting? Is that a new name for Pivot Sliding? Anyway the Angelic Step is a buffered Pivot Slide that is given extra momentum due to Pit's SlideStep.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Of course, Pit's Sidestep is the best one of them all. He slightly moves forward when used, and he can move backwards when you use the sidestep consecutively and quickly. Watching him spin is simply amazing. It's so... Angelic!

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Of course, Pit's Sidestep is the best one of them all. He slightly moves forward when used, and he can move backwards when you use the sidestep consecutively and quickly. Watching him spin is simply amazing. It's so... Angelic!
Only problem is that if you do a running spot dodge, bc of Pit's spot dodge animation, you won't get the slide afterwards that others (like marth and lucas for example) get. But we have angelic step, which I would take over a sliding spot dodge any day.

I'm definitely goin to try some of the suggestions in here. I only thought you could AS after a spot dodge. I'm glad I read this thread

xflame

Smash Rookie
wait.. so do u actually complete a spot dodge, then after you're turned facding backwards, press forward? and should you release the shield button at any point?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
wait.. so do u actually complete a spot dodge, then after you're turned facding backwards, press forward? and should you release the shield button at any point?
Wow... I understood this relatively quickly. FOR ALL WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DIRECTIONS, THESE ARE THE SIMPLIFIED VERSION.

1. SPOTDODGE NORMALLY
2. WHILE IN SPOTDODGE ANIMATION, HOLD ANALOG IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION YOU ARE FACING (Doesn't matter if you are tapping or tilting it back) SO THAT AFTER THE ANIMATION, YOU WILL TURN AROUND.
3. While you are turning backward, tilt the analog to the original direction you were facing when you were spotdodging and you should turn around again

The whole thing should look like Pit doing a 360 degree slide on the ground after spotdodging but you will move forward a little more after spinning.

xflame

Smash Rookie
o, ok. I think i was trying to push back and then forward again all while in the spotdodge. that would be why it wasn't working properly. thanks

xflame

Smash Rookie
another quick question, sorry... I think I've got it down but I honestly don't see many advantages to using this over a normal spotdodge except for the extended grab range. Are there any other reasons to use it (barring mindgames)?

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Also pit's wavedash is really good too, im using internet channel so i cant provide links but go to youtube and search chibosempai vs rogue pit and check out our wavedashing pit dittos in melee 2.0

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Are pit mains actually still doing this move (this question is not facetious)? Ganon's got the demonic step, but seriously...it's lame as can be.

Top Bottom