• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ambassador Program (Lets grow this smash thing!)

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Initial Announcement here.

Added discussion. Know we had talked about this program previously. The smash report that we were using as a key piece of statistical data for a lot of the pre-drafted materials took considerable time to come together and by the time it did I had some personal and MLG things going that precluded me for spending the time needed to get the program moving.

In short, delayed but yes it is here! If anyone expressed interest previously I attempted to save all my pms about it. So should be hearing from me today. If for some reason you do not, but are still interested, please just re-send your application.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just sent in my application! This sounds like an amazing idea, and hopefully one that'll help keep the Smash community growing.

D

Deleted member

I applied! I would really love to see this thing through, as it will be just the boost the smash community needs.

DRGN

Technowizard
This program is an excellent idea!

As a knowledge or resource pool, the Ambassador's forum should include ideas and tips on how to branch out, who exactly to branch out to, common arguments as to why people should promote their events, different ways sponsors can contribute and the advantages for them, etc.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Learned about this over the Fb post. Very interesting idea. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. I'll work on my application.

:rosalina:

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Thanks for the applications so far all. I will get back to everyone that submitted them prior to according to the timeline.

I applied! I would really love to see this thing through, as it will be just the boost the smash community needs.
Thanks. It is really up to the people that make up the group to determine if this program is a success or an failure. But the smash community is huge and deserves to have a bigger presence in the esports world and I do think if we get the right people this program could contribute a lot of good things for the community and its future.

Beginning to regret my choice of username
Haha, I will try to withhold username based bias when making membership selections.

Does participating in this program mean you can add MLG as a reference on your CV?
Pretty much anything one does in some sort of staff or leadership position can be used on a resume or CV. Whether you would want to use the parent company (MLG) or smashboards itself, just list the experience/contribution/qualification, or a personal reference (IE Site general manager, Group Leader, etc) is up to you. Bottom line is decision makers want to know what kind of history and initiative you have. And if you contribute to this program I am sure you can use it, and get some higher level staff member to vouch for you (me or otherwise) if need be.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I'm confused on how representation will work.

Will the ambassador role cover the entire region?(ATL South, Midwest, etc.) or will it be on a state-wise basis?

How many do you intend to have per region?(or state?)

Life

Smash Hero
JV, it's nothing you did, it's just...

Me: Hey, why don't you hold Smash tournaments?
Sponsor: Who are you?
Me : *name*. I go by InferiorityComplex on the Smashboards.
Sponsor: Uhhhhh...

Who'd take me seriously? (Not like I have better ideas for a username. My plan is to get a name change when I've finally won something playing Smash, and not a moment before.)

D

Deleted member

Hmm...yesterday was the deadline for applications. I'll be looking forward to the results. :bee:

Legend4ryFlower

Smash Cadet
Why would you ask someone to put this much time in without compensation?

This kind of job is something that, in the real world, people get paid a good bit to do, and people make careers out of this.

Asking someone to do this for free is rather insulting, especially when MLG has the money. Not even a stipend mentioned.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Well the thing is no one is telling you have to do it. The way I see it is no one told someone like Alex Strife to do what he did for (t)his community. He did it out of his desire to support it. What JV has here is just a means of making what Alex did somewhat easier for others who want to try and do the same thing for their own communities. Having things like an official email and representing the most notable site for the game would be good things to have when you try to grab sponsor for your event. All this makes starting out much easier for those who are interested.

Plus you have influence on the site as well so you do whatever you can here as well to support events in your region.

Legend4ryFlower

Smash Cadet
Except alex strife makes money off these tournaments, a decent bit I would think (correct me of im wrong though Alex). Hosting a tournament is an entrepreneurial activity in some way, and getting sponsors is something that increases his profits.

This is just asking people to work for free. It was like when BP was asking for "volunteers" to clean up the tar from the oil spill a year ago.

I dont think anyone should even consider doing this unless they are compensated monetarily. MLG is a business, so they should have to pay for something like this, not get it for free. People dont realize how much their time is actually worth. And they arent serving the "community," theyre working for free to make someone else richer.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Thanks for the applications all. Reviewing all and you can expect to hear back from me today.

I'm confused on how representation will work.

Will the ambassador role cover the entire region?(ATL South, Midwest, etc.) or will it be on a state-wise basis?

How many do you intend to have per region?(or state?)

Likely region based. But this program is more about making good things happen for your community than a specific divider line. So if you in a huge and busy state like Cali or something you might just work with your state (or even socal or norcal only), but if you are somewhere, say the east coast like VA, where you tend to be involved in more of a group of states scene it would likely be region. It is not something that will be assigned to you. Rather if selected we will try to work with your thoughts on the best fit.

JV, it's nothing you did, it's just...

Me: Hey, why don't you hold Smash tournaments?
Sponsor: Who are you?
Me : *name*. I go by InferiorityComplex on the Smashboards.
Sponsor: Uhhhhh...

Who'd take me seriously? (Not like I have better ideas for a username. My plan is to get a name change when I've finally won something playing Smash, and not a moment before.)
No one. If you wrote something to a business like "Yo, I am BiG_PLAYA_Mario I play smash give me some money for my buddies tournament" you obviously are going to get laughed off. Thats why we will have pre-written letters using real stats talking about platform sales, game sales, a community that gets millions of pageviews a month, and so on. You will send it using your real name and will come across professional when doing so.

This kind of job is something that, in the real world, people get paid a good bit to do, and people make careers out of this.

Asking someone to do this for free is rather insulting, especially when MLG has the money. Not even a stipend mentioned.
Haha, some people. You seem newer so it might be hard for you to understand how the community was brought up. The people that spend 100s of hours putting together tournaments, they dont take cuts, they dont ask for money from MLG (cause to do so would be laughable). It is like a job for many of them, but they dont get paid, they do it cause it is something they care about and they want to contribute. The same can be said about the site staff (moderation team, developers, admins, etc) and many people through-out the years.

In terms of MLG having the money (of which you or I for that matter dont know MLGs financial situation) business 101 dictates that businesses that stay in business dont put up money for things that do not make them money. MLG has been pretty good about going out of pocket for lots of Pro Circuit smash checks in the past or putting together the smash grassroots series. Not everything has been perfect but the money they have put into the community without netting them a return is above and beyond what anyone can reasonably expect.

This program in no, way, shape, or form is making MLG money. Its a community program for the community. Nothing more. This is a volunteer program, no one is being forced to join. So expecting MLG to pay people is more insulting than the other way around I assure you.

Except alex strife makes money off these tournaments, a decent bit I would think (correct me of im wrong though Alex). Hosting a tournament is an entrepreneurial activity in some way, and getting sponsors is something that increases his profits.
Alex has yet to pocket any money of any Apex. Nor in the last eight years can I think of any community run tournament that has made money off of the time they have put in (There have been some Charity donations, money for the venue stuff, but not one time can I think of a community individual keeping X% of the pot). If you are going to use something as a basis for your argument dont you think doing some fact checking first would be a good idea?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I dont think anyone should even consider doing this unless they are compensated monetarily. MLG is a business, so they should have to pay for something like this, not get it for free. People dont realize how much their time is actually worth. And they arent serving the "community," theyre working for free to make someone else richer.
If that is how you feel there would not be a moderation team at [insert practically every website that does not pay its staff]. Obviously money would help things, but clearly money doesn't need to be the only incentive for people to do things. "For the love of the community" has carried a lot of things through the years.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux

Some of us are willing to put the good of the community above the desire for monetary compensation. Based on my understanding of the position from an outsider perspective, I took the opportunity as MLG willing to help certain community coordinators accomplish their goals by using their brand name appeal.

D

Deleted member

Something like this could help with finding an actual job in the professional aspect of things. You should take on this program with the community in mind, though.

If you love the smash scene and want to see it thrive for years to come, then I don't see a reason to complain about the program.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
"Application Review and Admittance: following Monday (12/12/11)"

:)
I got through about half the applications yesterday. Hang tight guys almost there. Some of you (although not Mike haha) wrote a semi-book for applications with a lot of information and links. And for those that did I want to make good on their effort and go through it all. So taking some time above and beyond what I had allotted. Few cups of coffee and EoD I will get there for sure.

Legend4ryFlower

Smash Cadet
The people that spend 100s of hours putting together tournaments should be taking cuts for their time. Alex strife most definitely made money off apex, or instead used that money towards future events, depending on what he cared about.

Businesses will invest in activities that have potential to make them money. While the potential of this program to do that is very real, you are likely correct in that the cost-benefit of paying people to be community organizers is very bleak.

However MLG does want to make the smash community happy just for purposes of the website (and the associated revenue), and this is a good way to do it. The smash community being healthy increases the bottom line of smash world forums. Its definitely a smart business move, but I dont think that anyone should take the "offer." MLG definitely benefits from a thriving smash community.

Internet moderation take a lot of time. Being a community organizer takes just as much or more, and requires travel expenses and having to sell a point to businesses in our collapsing economy (just wait a few years, as the dollar slowly evaporates into thin air).
And I dont think being a moderator is difficult at all, especially for this website. Go look in the social threads, and observe how well mods are enforcing the forum rules (read: not at all).

You can volunteer your time all you want, but you should be getting paid for it. You can go to a farm for the summer and work for free for the good of the country, or for humanity or for your honor. It doesnt matter, because in the real world, people consider this particular service valuable, and there is a large market for it.

And how can you not even keep a simple deadline? And youre actually a salaried employee... good lord.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
The people that spend 100s of hours putting together tournaments should be taking cuts for their time. Alex strife most definitely made money off apex, or instead used that money towards future events, depending on what he cared about.

Businesses will invest in activities that have potential to make them money. While the potential of this program to do that is very real, you are likely correct in that the cost-benefit of paying people to be community organizers is very bleak.

However MLG does want to make the smash community happy just for purposes of the website (and the associated revenue), and this is a good way to do it. The smash community being healthy increases the bottom line of Smash World Forums. Its definitely a smart business move, but I dont think that anyone should take the "offer." MLG definitely benefits from a thriving smash community.

Internet moderation take a lot of time. Being a community organizer takes just as much or more, and requires travel expenses and having to sell a point to businesses in our collapsing economy (just wait a few years, as the dollar slowly evaporates into thin air).
And I dont think being a moderator is difficult at all, especially for this website. Go look in the social threads, and observe how well mods are enforcing the forum rules (read: not at all).

You can volunteer your time all you want, but you should be getting paid for it. You can go to a farm for the summer and work for free for the good of the country, or for humanity or for your honor. It doesnt matter, because in the real world, people consider this particular service valuable, and there is a large market for it.

And how can you not even keep a simple deadline? And youre actually a salaried employee... good lord.

I made $100-$200 bucks off of Apex 2010 and the rest went to all my expenses. So ya not kinda what happens .... this year we will see if I break $250 XD

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I'd like to see your proof. Considering I have the budget in front of me, making claims like this are ridiculous if you don't have any proof. Think what you will though, whatever makes you happiest.

Legend4ryFlower

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see your proof. Considering I have the budget in front of me, making claims like this are ridiculous if you don't have any proof. Think what you will though, whatever makes you happiest.
tournament hosts make cuts <-----my claim
Heres my proof
I made $100-$200 bucks off of Apex 2010 and the rest went to all my expenses. So ya not kinda what happens .... this year we will see if I break $250 XD
Its a good thing. I wish he made more, lets hope to god he does, cause he does an AMAZING job running them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Flower, now you're just spamming the thread. You had something to say at first and now you just made an useless post.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Crismas is my GF and she knows pretty much what I know. Do not make claims. I will keep it brief that we made practically NOTHING at apex compared to the work we did.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
$100-$200 from a national that takes place over three days and pays out prize money in the thousands sounds like a small extra left over due to managing to operate under budget rather than intentionally profiting from running the tournament, lol.

D

Deleted member

When can we expect to hear back from you, MLG_JV? Maybe some time over the weekend? It seems you're pretty busy as of late.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Alright, besides one or two further information/conversations, applications are completely done and everyone that submitted should have received a pm response. Sorry for the delay from the initial timeline. I was out of town last weekend which left me one evening on the original date to complete all of them from the submission deadline. Clearly unintelligent and I should have left myself more time.

Everyone will be in the shinny forum come tomorrow. And above all I think we have a great group of people. Three countries covered. We have people that have worked with sponsors (subway, capcom, pizza hut, local school league, etc), media, and some of the most well respected TOs out there.

In total 14 people have been accepted in this group. Hope to do some reviews of the program for everyone to read about in the future. Accomplishments, contributions, so on. But for now just want to focus on getting it rolling.

Thanks to all that applied.

tournament hosts make cuts <-----my claim
Heres my proof

Its a good thing. I wish he made more, lets hope to god he does, cause he does an AMAZING job running them.
I mean for the work that goes into Apex that equates to what like 10 cents an hour. Hardly getting paid. Obviously Alex and some other hosts are trying to grow something. But there are next to no tournaments (find me one grassroots tournament host that made more than $1 an hour for their work. Ive seen tournaments run cross country for several years you wont) that do it for monetary reasons. Any mininum wage job would be much better if that were the case.

These guys do it cause they care about smash and want to contribute something.. think is is good life experience. Same as the ambassador program. Anyway, ive said all I will on this. Do not want to derail the thread any longer.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
$100-$200 from a national that takes place over three days and pays out prize money in the thousands sounds like a small extra left over due to managing to operate under budget rather than intentionally profiting from running the tournament, lol.
Pretty much this.

Also, JV are you opening positions in the near future again? I was originally interested for a while but with all Apex related planning I couldn't see myself doing this up until then.

That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to see what comes out of the ambassador's group. :)

Will we be able to see the list of ambassadors any time soon?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
  1. Illmatic.
  2. Illmatic.
  3. Illmatic.
  4. Illmatic.
  5. Illmatic.
  6. Illmatic.
  7. Illmatic.
  8. Illmatic.
  9. Illmatic.
  10. Illmatic.
  11. Illmatic.
  12. Illmatic.
  13. Illmatic.
  14. Illmatic.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Haha, well my first choice was just twelve illmatics. Cause that man is the man. In life he once had an awkward moment, just to see to what it felt like. Sharks name a week after him. When he does push-ups he doesnt push up he pushes the earth down (him and chuck norris). He is that good.

But he was too busy saving orphan children in third world countries from speeding buses. So my back up list of ambassadors is as follows (you can also see it by checking out the group).

MattDotZeb ; Xyro77; mikeHAZE ; 愛sight; PEEF!; ~automatic ; Toronto Joe ; VA; Two-Ell ; DeLux ; Auspher; DtJ Jungle ; eighteenspikes ; Alex Strife (Tentative)

Permissions are set. These dudes are in the forum. Go time!

Top Bottom