• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Alabama Power Rankings: Image=protier

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
to some extent I see what cam is saying though.

the reason that reflex and geo and lou and all them breeze through brackets so easily is because they understand the typical mistakes that bad players make and a ready to combat them.

i know you've heard people say (and not just for smash, for almost any competitive game. you hear it in poker a lot, for example) "man i can't play against bad players because they don't do what i'm expecting because they have no strategy" or something to that effect

players like that often do well against better players, because they don't have a lot of experience playing against people who use sub optimal strategies that deviate from the general one used by people who have an idea of how to play well.

i think that's a necessary step on the road to being a complete player, and its really only gotten by playing against mediocre players for some period of time.
Yeah, that's essentially what I'm saying. I'm also saying that inexperienced players give us amateur players a good opportunity to practice our prediction skills. Reflex always says you play friendlies to learn, not to win. I completely agree with that. However, when we're playing people who are on our own skill level or who are better than us, we more often do make the mistake of trying to win too much. When we play inexperienced players, we aren't worrying about winning and we can focus more on learning. At the same time, we should still try to learn in our matches with pros, but sometimes it just makes more sense to start learning how to predict novices before you try to predict pros.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
blergh, so many things to read. I can't fit this in with MMOs, tourney planning, and anime.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's essentially what I'm saying. I'm also saying that inexperienced players give us amateur players a good opportunity to practice our prediction skills. Reflex always says you play friendlies to learn, not to win. I completely agree with that. However, when we're playing people who are on our own skill level or who are better than us, we more often do make the mistake of trying to win too much. When we play inexperienced players, we aren't worrying about winning and we can focus more on learning. At the same time, we should still try to learn in our matches with pros, but sometimes it just makes more sense to start learning how to predict novices before you try to predict pros.
meh its probably personal preference but personally i'd rather have my *** kicked countless times because i need to see what i'm doing wrong and where i commit too many mistakes. beating up on beginners just helps you realize that if you dont overcommit to just fighting/approaching and actually abusing your options, then you see how good you actually are. in most cases when someone fights someone good they always respect them and dont play at their best thats what really hinders some players. you dont have to work your way up to learn how to predict. predicting, camping, and being able to consistently execute certain things is like playing to win 101. these elements are basic in which you dont actually have to learn

*Cam*

Smash Lord
meh its probably personal preference but personally i'd rather have my *** kicked countless times because i need to see what i'm doing wrong and where i commit too many mistakes. beating up on beginners just helps you realize that if you dont overcommit to just fighting/approaching and actually abusing your options, then you see how good you actually are. in most cases when someone fights someone good they always respect them and dont play at their best thats what really hinders some players. you dont have to work your way up to learn how to predict. predicting, camping, and being able to consistently execute certain things is like playing to win 101. these elements are basic in which you dont actually have to learn
I would argue that you do in fact have to learn how to predict people. It's not an intuitive skill that most people just have. It takes careful attention to your opponent's habits, which can be hard to pick up on when your opponent is a pro. Just to reiterate what I said before, I think playing more inexperienced players helps us acquire that prediction skill. I'm not saying you should just play them to beat up on them and feel good about yourself or something. I really think it helps in the long run to predict noobs before pros.

Please don't get me wrong. I think you should play a mixed bag of players. Play lots of pros, lots of amateurs, lots of noobs. If for nothing else, it at least helps you know how to beat a noob. As stupid as that sounds, a lot of people struggle against them in tournament because they can be so unorthodox, so different from what they are used to playing against. When I say "noob," I don't mean just started the game yesterday noob. I mean someone who might eventually become competitive and is on the border of being amateur.

Playing against pros, on the other hand, is much better for helping us realize our own bad habits (i.e.- what we get punished for doing). I don't think we should limit ourselves just to playing great players or just to playing bad ones. I personally think it's helpful to play against both.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
cam its like this. to build muscles would you rather eat protein or cake?
Slam, I don't approve of this analogy. I've got a better one.

What if you were protected against only the deadliest of diseases and then died to a simple cold?

There's no need to explain it to me like I'm dense. I know what they are saying, and I simply disagree with it. If we are going to face a variety of players on different skill levels in tournament, then I think it would be best to practice against a variety of players on different skill levels.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
no no im not trying to talk to you like your dense. i was just simplifying all the walls of text that i agree with, including my own and being like "yeah dude i think this thingy/similie/somethingidkwhatitscalled is right on."

idk i mean if you were protected against the deadliest diseases chances are theyre gonna prevent you from getting a cold too i guess? isnt that how it works?
lol idk.

idk i still think my thing is right.

if you know how to play pros and are on the same level as them but dont play scrubs much. i mean... chances are you might not exactly do as well as a jv 3 stock and you might get thrown off by something like once or twice but im pretty confident that you wont go as far as to lose. and a wins a win imo..

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, maybe ironic, but I can't believe I am only now finding these threads; I had thought there wasn't really an Alabama Brawl scene to speak of... Anyway, I've been trying to improve, but I only know one person on my level in person, and it isn't easy for me to get to any tournaments. Any suggestions? (this way you don't have to play me and potentially get worse, lol)

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Hmm, maybe ironic, but I can't believe I am only now finding these threads; I had thought there wasn't really an Alabama Brawl scene to speak of... Anyway, I've been trying to improve, but I only know one person on my level in person, and it isn't easy for me to get to any tournaments. Any suggestions? (this way you don't have to play me and potentially get worse, lol)
Where are you from? There may be a brawl scene close to you and you don't even know it.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
play WIFI!!!!!!!!!

kismet2

Smash Ace
I would argue that you do in fact have to learn how to predict people. It's not an intuitive skill that most people just have. It takes careful attention to your opponent's habits, which can be hard to pick up on when your opponent is a pro. Just to reiterate what I said before, I think playing more inexperienced players helps us acquire that prediction skill. I'm not saying you should just play them to beat up on them and feel good about yourself or something. I really think it helps in the long run to predict noobs before pros.

Please don't get me wrong. I think you should play a mixed bag of players. Play lots of pros, lots of amateurs, lots of noobs. If for nothing else, it at least helps you know how to beat a noob. As stupid as that sounds, a lot of people struggle against them in tournament because they can be so unorthodox, so different from what they are used to playing against. When I say "noob," I don't mean just started the game yesterday noob. I mean someone who might eventually become competitive and is on the border of being amateur.

Playing against pros, on the other hand, is much better for helping us realize our own bad habits (i.e.- what we get punished for doing). I don't think we should limit ourselves just to playing great players or just to playing bad ones. I personally think it's helpful to play against both.
hmm dont you mean reacting then? you dont really have to play a variety of players to learn how to predict, it helps to react. predicting is guessing and when you play against a variety of players you learn how to fight strategies or react instantly with the answer to beat something, not being a good guesser at how to get around it. pros just camp thats why its hard to even guess whats going on because they're forcing you to approach which means you're at the disadvantage in the first place. both are helpful but in the end you just want to stick to the good players because they use about the same strategies as low level tournament players, if not better.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
cuz we are too far away and we suck at this game.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING POKEMON KOLA PLEAAAASE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR GLOOM FOR LIKE A MONTH

*Cam*

Smash Lord
No he's not. I demand now to be listed as the following:

Mahgikarp
Mahgnemite
Mahgby
Mahgnagross
No one told me we were doing a pun pokemon power rankings.

Then it's decided.

1. Reflexeggutor
2. Elevaporeon
3. Billywhirl
4. Geodude (or if you want a pun: Georgeotto)
5. Ragnarbok
6. Tentakola
7. Hitmonjanitor
8. Mahgnemite
9. Macheap
10. Alakaslam

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
No one told me we were doing a pun pokemon power rankings.

Then it's decided.

1. Reflexeggutor
2. Elevaporeon
3. Billywhirl
4. Geodude (or if you want a pun: Georgeotto)
5. Ragnarbok
6. Tentakola
7. Hitmonjanitor
8. Mahgnemite
9. Macheap
10. Alakaslam
This is so good :cool:

I still think I can do better on Janitor's. I'll try to think of something else for it.
I agree, but these are still great!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
omg its thursday................

>_>

also
LMAO CAM LOOOOOOOOLLLLLL

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I just realized that my tourney was may 9th(which was a monday). I didn't realize at first til Ryker told me today. Anyway its may 7th thats a saturday for sure

*Cam*

Smash Lord
>.> Umm....

Nidoranitor
Jolteonejanitor
Janamander
Hitonejan

It's not that easy guys.

More? More.
Spearoha
Twinsir
Picamchu
Ryther
ArcanGR
Mewgle
Beedwill_
Munkusaur
Kismeton

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
>.> Umm....

Nidoranitor
Jolteonejanitor
Janamander
Hitonejan

It's not that easy guys.

More? More.
Spearoha
Twinsir
Picamchu
Ryther
ArcanGR
Mewgle
Beedwill_
Munkusaur
Kismeton
HitONEjan is definitely my favorite of his choices.

You're limiting yourself, though. I wonder what better matches are among the other generations.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I can do something with basic sprites. Are we doing the Pokémon names, or whatever we picked?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Is someone going to update the OP with some images. Kola doesn't have to do it.
well actually only he and mods can update the OP

i could put something together, but i dont really know anything about pokemon so i probably would fail at it, especially if we're doing the trainer stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom