• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Akuma Jump

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I imagine it happens as a result of your leaving some sort of ground; the game hasn't decided you've left the ground yet, probably because of your fastfall. When you jump and do the fastfall at the same time while just getting off the edge of the ground, the fastfall counteracts your jump as if you were on a platform moving downward. You get the same kind of effect from doing a jump off of the Whimsical Support Ghost when it's going downward.

Charizard has a pretty decent one; it might give him extra options for edgeguarding or hitting aggressive players.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Just another fancy technique people will overuse and probably kill themselves with.

Thanks for the future free wins :)

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I think its not possible with Stick Jump because as Grim said, its holding down + jump after you leave the edge of a stage/platform.

But maybe its fastfall -> jump... idk.

I just run of hold down and jump :x

DMS

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing this new AT with a friend last night. Haven't found anything too amazing. I see so much use for this, I just don't know where to start applying it.

Life

Smash Hero
Could it have something to do with platform dropthru to jump? I know I've had some weird things happen trying to dropthrough-aerial and stuff like that.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
No, this lets you keep the midair jump, a dropthrough would get rid of that, unless it glitches and gives t back or something like that, and then I'm not sure if I would call it anything but a glitch that just happens to work.

It almost looks intentional, but I doubt that it is.

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Probably is somewhat intentional. It seems like alot of our ATs come from the programmers intentionally making the controls lenient.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
And what about Ness?

Can Lucas to the superpkfirejump with this (if the timing is even possible to handle)

:phone:

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
This is pretty legit, I just replicated it with Snake first and then got it with Lucario as well after reading your description of the difference between his SH and this AJ. His floaty nature may hinder its practicality but I'll mess with the edge-game implications later. Interesting discovery, goes to show what can come from an hour of practice.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Ok I tried it a bit and it's an alternative of something that was found out in 2008, when you jump just after leaving the edge you get a FH even if you input a SH.
From what I can tell the akuma jump (lol) is just the same but performed a little later so that it gives the FH this strange trajectory.

Now something that is interesting with this tech and you didn't mention is that it allows you to bypass the jump squat animation, making you able to perform your aerial 5 to 10 frames sooner depending on your char's frame data (that's also why it'll always be a FH animation, since to SH you must let go the jump button before the end of the jump squat animation, which is inexistant).

If you want to see how many frames your character can gain just look here : http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9378580&postcount=61

Tesh

Smash Hero
snake's horrible jump squat good for something eh?

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
This looks like it's really useful for Snake, DDD, and Falco, pretty useful for a few others, and extremely situational to the point of not needing to know how to do it for everyone else. I guess I should practice this with Falco, although I main Wario and he doesn't really benefit too much from this...unless he does, I haven't tried out the "Waft of the Raging Colon" yet.

Life

Smash Hero
Alright, telu covered some of this already but I think I can explain it better.

1. If you run off the edge, there is a brief interval in which you are off the platform but the game still treats you as grounded (at least for the purposes of jumping). Or something like that.
2. If you jump in this interval, you jump immediately, skipping or drastically truncating the usual jumpsquat animation.
3. You can fast fall in this interval.
4. Fastfalling, then jumping in this interval produces the Akuma Jump.
5. It looks to me as if the Akuma Jump's odd height is a combination of two factors: first, fastfalling lowers the start point of the jump, and second, it seems to me that the momentum of fastfalling works against the jump (although I could be imagining it--normally fastfalling or not has no effect on the height of a double jump, but the game treats Akuma as a single jump so maybe it's different).
6. The timing is pretty darn strict. I don't know how to measure it, but it can't be more than 2-3 frames.

Also, there's a surprising amount of precision regarding horizontal momentum when using the technique. It is possible, for instance, for Sonic to Akuma Jump between the side Battlefield platforms--but only if executed perfectly (it's difficult even if in training mode and slowed down). Even the slightest hesitation in returning the control stick to the forward position results in him falling short. Mixup possibilities? Maybe.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I knew that you could do you ground jump when running of the ledge and that it canceled jump start. I had no clue you could fast fall the beginning, lol

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I might be doing another video soon, with some of the possibilites different character can get with this...
But I would love if someone with better video quality would do that. A lot of stuff is already listed in the OP.
I think doing a video shouldnt be to hard to do.
Would be cool if someone did this, as a) my quality is BS and b) I'm quite busy most of the time...

Its cool to see that people still have some interest in this, and I also knew about the "always FH when leaving the edge and you have no jump start up", I just found out that you can combine this with fast fall? (Or somehow the "holding down" counteracts the normal jump high... I'm sure its fast fall, still weird, as this only seems to work with this special jump thing).

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
This kind of find in 2012 is definitely something to be proud of. What I can see so far is:
1. People with crappy aerials/fall speed can use this off platforms to be safer.
2. Safer edgeguards, I don't see this AT really get much use in getting better edgeguards, but it leaves the edgeguarder much safer IMO
3. Styling with Snake between stocks.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If this alone doesn't get xDD-Master in the Brawl BRoom (well, that and not actually applying), then I don't know what will.

That said, how fast/frame-perfect do you need to be to pull it off? It definitely sounds like a great AT when utilized the right way, but depending on the frames, could take some getting used to as far as practice goes.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Pls dont discuss if I am appropriate for the Back-Room or not in this thread, thx.

As for the frames question, I'm not sure, maybe 3-4 frames, at least thats what it feel like to me. Maybe less or more, dunno.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
If this alone doesn't get xDD-Master in the Brawl BRoom (well, that and not actually applying), then I don't know what will.
hey guys i mad a at i cal it robotnik recovering its were u jump from the leg and imedatly do a fast faled atack onto the stag its beter then atack from leg and givs u mor optens bbr now plz.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
How does this technique work with momentum-altering aerials like Sheik's dair?
It has no effect on them. Its just a different Full Hop, and therefore it works like a full hop, which doesnt change anything how momentum-altering aerials work.

Dr. R.O.Botnik

Smash Journeyman
xDD-Master wasn't actually requesting BBR entrance, so that's pretty rude.
I was making fun of the person who said that he should be enducted solely because of this discovery. The joke is that if that were the case, every scrub in the universe would just be naming some mundane discovery after themselves. I though that was implied when I replied to the other guy mocking that person. I'll edit my post so that people are less confused and hopefully for once don't take something I say to the worst extreme.

I told my mommy on you.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I don't see how discovering a mediocre technique warrants entrance into the backroom.

With that logic, GIMR would be supreme overlord of the Smash community lol
LOL, I wish discovering mediocre tech got you better at the game, then I'd be GDLK

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Discovering mediocre techniques is most likely to get one into the Smash Lab lol

Top Bottom