• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Advance Techniques" from Melee. Sensible or Illogical?

Er, sorry for taking so long. My computer got messed up and I didn't have anything I wanted to type out walls of text with.

I've already explained I don't believe in corner-cases and such nonsense. I'm not budging off of this. Was it 100% intentional, yes or no? No? Glitch.

Now I recall somebody hating on my 'comparison' to Kirby Air Ride, when it wasn't a comparison. It is solid proof that Sakurai thinks that complex things have no place in his games, SSB or otherwise. The man made a racing game played with one button, removed the more complex things from Melee to Brawl and he believes in supporting the silent majority over the volcal minority, but still throws them a few bones. It's completely unreasonable to believe something like Wavedashing would end up in SSB4, for very long, atleast.

I don't care if they intentionally came up with X. Did the authors intend to put in X thing when they did? What was X's intended effect? An author's perception of his art can change. When it comes to art, only right answers come from the artist while he's making it. He can make his art whatever he wants. If it goes against what the minority (or majority) thinks is right, it's his decision to choose what really is right. When it's complete and can no-longer be fixed, he can then deem things wrong.

So essentially, Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are right, as long as he intentionally puts them in and then he can flip-flop later. If you're going to try and make the 'intentional' thing vague, keep your opinions out of the argument. After all, art is in the eye of the beholder.
I was the person who said your comparison was ridiculous; and it still is. I can play Gran Turismo the same way I can play Kirby Air Ride. 1 button for Acceleration and 1 for steering, but there are still options for more complex controls, and considering all the arguments given there is no way you can convince me of the status of smash because:

A. You aren't Sakurai, despite you having this delusion that you are his grand messenger based off of a single article.

B. Complexity is relative to an individual and is a poor argument to say why something shouldn't exist. Holding down and B maybe easy for you, but with someone with a physical or mental disorder it may be difficult.

C. You look through all these arguments and insist that things should be seen your way.

Even with the one piece of evidence you have, it doesn't hold weight; things can change--you said so yourself, so maybe he doesn't think the same way as he did before.

As for you addressing the poster you quoted, it isn't fair that you asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, when opinions not only provide the foundation in which we argue their difficulty and need of implementation, but also serve as the weight of 99% of your arguments.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I was the person who said your comparison was ridiculous; and it still is. I can play Gran Turismo the same way I can play Kirby Air Ride. 1 button for Acceleration and 1 for steering, but there are still options for more complex controls, and considering all the arguments given there is no way you can convince me of the status of smash because:

A. You aren't Sakurai, despite you having this delusion that you are his grand messenger based off of a single article.

B. Complexity is relative to an individual and is a poor argument to say why something shouldn't exist. Holding down and B maybe easy for you, but with someone with a physical or mental disorder it may be difficult.

C. You look through all these arguments and insist that things should be seen your way.

Even with the one piece of evidence you have, it doesn't hold weight; things can change--you said so yourself, so maybe he doesn't think the same way as he did before.

As for you addressing the poster you quoted, it isn't fair that you asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, when opinions not only provide the foundation in which we argue their difficulty and need of implementation, but also serve as the weight of 99% of your arguments.
A. I don't see myself as his messenger, I'm just stating what I think is true.
B. That's an argument to have with Sakurai, not me.
C. That's essentially what you're supposed to accomplish in an argument. You're not trying to make me see it your way?

The guy has made simple games his whole life, and has said he wants the skill gap to get smaller during the development of all four games. Unless you can provide some proof that he has changed, he most likely hasn't.

When I asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, I ment for him to keep the ones based on opinions out. You can't prove SSB is better with or without Wavedashing and techs. My argument is based of off everything he's ever made and what he's said.

My whole argument will be 100% dead if you can prove he's changed. I can't completely destroy yours yet because yours is a hope, a 'maybe he's changed.'

Ulevo

Smash Master
A. I don't see myself as his messenger, I'm just stating what I think is true.
B. That's an argument to have with Sakurai, not me.
C. That's essentially what you're supposed to accomplish in an argument. You're not trying to make me see it your way?

The guy has made simple games his whole life, and has said he wants the skill gap to get smaller during the development of all four games. Unless you can provide some proof that he has changed, he most likely hasn't.

When I asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, I ment for him to keep the ones based on opinions out. You can't prove SSB is better with or without Wavedashing and techs. My argument is based of off everything he's ever made and what he's said.

My whole argument will be 100% dead if you can prove he's changed. I can't completely destroy yours yet because yours is a hope, a 'maybe he's changed.'
Why are you arguing over designer intent?

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm personally not against any of the high-level techniques that were developed in Melee. However, I do think, for the sake of being thorough, that a distinction should always be made between "canonical" mechanics that were designed into the game and mechanics that, regardless of their popularity, are exploitations of the game's physics that have been "fanonized" and universally recognized among the community as a technique. Wavedashing is a legitimate technique among players, but it is not a canonical mechanic that was designed on purpose. It is, rather, a byproduct of directional air-dodging that has been given the name "wavedashing" by the fans.

And again, while I'm not against these "fanon" techniques, I don't expect Sakurai to really give them any weight or consideration. Would I LIKE him to? Sure. But I don't expect him to, and I don't fault him for trying to eliminate them, as he is the designer of the game and he has his own preconceptions for how the game was intended to be played that carry far more weight than any fan's perception ever could. If Sakurai wants to restrict the pros' toolset to techniques that were designed on purpose, he has every right to do that. People may hate him for it, but that's on him.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Personally, I feel like SSB4 should be able to create itself a nice competitive environment without needing to have stuff like wavedashes and l-cancels and buffles or whatever the heck all the different terms are.

As long as the game's speed is faster, less floaty, and has more combo potential than Brawl did, all of which are looking to be the case from what we've seen so far, the game can have a competitive, healthy scene. Maybe some character specific tricks could appear, but I think the series should avoid things as centralizing as wavedashing and l-cancelling in future installments.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Personally, I feel like SSB4 should be able to create itself a nice competitive environment without needing to have stuff like wavedashes and l-cancels and buffles or whatever the heck all the different terms are.

As long as the game's speed is faster, less floaty, and has more combo potential than Brawl did, all of which are looking to be the case from what we've seen so far, the game can have a competitive, healthy scene. Maybe some character specific tricks could appear, but I think the series should avoid things as centralizing as wavedashing and l-cancelling in future installments.
This is how I see it, wavedashing and L-cancelling are tools of the past. Smash 4 is supposed to be new, not just polishing Melee up.

Renji64

Smash Lord

So it is brawl+?

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
Er, sorry for taking so long. My computer got messed up and I didn't have anything I wanted to type out walls of text with.

I've already explained I don't believe in corner-cases and such nonsense. I'm not budging off of this. Was it 100% intentional, yes or no? No? Glitch.

Now I recall somebody hating on my 'comparison' to Kirby Air Ride, when it wasn't a comparison. It is solid proof that Sakurai thinks that complex things have no place in his games, SSB or otherwise. The man made a racing game played with one button, removed the more complex things from Melee to Brawl and he believes in supporting the silent majority over the volcal minority, but still throws them a few bones. It's completely unreasonable to believe something like Wavedashing would end up in SSB4, for very long, atleast.

I don't care if they intentionally came up with X. Did the authors intend to put in X thing when they did? What was X's intended effect? An author's perception of his art can change. When it comes to art, only right answers come from the artist while he's making it. He can make his art whatever he wants. If it goes against what the minority (or majority) thinks is right, it's his decision to choose what really is right. When it's complete and can no-longer be fixed, he can then deem things wrong.

So essentially, Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are right, as long as he intentionally puts them in and then he can flip-flop later. If you're going to try and make the 'intentional' thing vague, keep your opinions out of the argument. After all, art is in the eye of the beholder.
terrible. i'm giving up on you. but first:

"wavedashing and no wavedashing are right." wtf does that even mean?

"if you're going to try and make the 'intentional' thing vague" = "i can't or didn't read what you said."

"You can't prove SSB is better with or without Wavedashing and techs." if you read what i said and think saying those words somehow addresses mine, you are an idiot. it's always funny when people feel like they should be disagreeing with you on every point, and consequently don't realize when you're agreeing with them on some points.

"When I asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, I ment for him to keep the ones based on opinions out." just........laughable.

"When it comes to art, only right answers come from the artist while he's making it." literally no artist thinks this. right answers? about what?

oh look, a theme: "right, wrong, right, wrong, right, wrong." i'd ask you to articulate what you mean when you say "x is right" or "y is wrong," but i know you can't. it makes no sense. pizza is wrong. wood floors are right. wavedashing and no wavedashing are right. these statements are nothing. you're out of your mind, kid.

Last edited:
Yo dude, that "opinion" quote had me rollin'.

Also, as an artist, I can confirm that what Lancer is saying is bull ****. Where did that even come from? Is he literally just taking excerpts of what others are saying and throwing them in the argument?

As an artist, sometimes you have an idea in your head that you want on paper, but once the pencil is in motion you make something else. If you accidentally mark something wrong, you build up from it; it's free flowing and intuitive. And even if what came about wasn't of my original intent, I can appreciate it for what it is, and who knows, maybe what I created by mistake will inspire me to create something similar once again.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Whenever I start imagining something to draw, what I put on paper usually ends up nothing like what my mind had initially rendered. Yes, the essence is still there, but only vaguely resembles the original concept. Over time, as I come back to the drawing, I usually see new details I hadn't noticed myself drawing and appreciate the picture for what it turned out to be instead of what it was supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure the same applies to Smash. During development, Sakurai certainly has a concept in mind of how the game will end up. After release, as people get to play around with the game, they discover all these "new details" Sakurai had thrown in, whether intentionally or not, and play the game the way they want it too. Say, after a long well-deserved vacation, Sakurai comes back to check up on his work of "art". He will surely be delighted to see what all these people have noticed and utilized in his work instead of sticking to his initial plan. By doing so, they have added an entirely new level of depth to the game that even the creator hadn't seen.

If Smash was a painting, this is how the canvas would look like, in my opinion: the painter (Sakurai) has only painted the frame of a vague yet relatively simple figure, with a few subtle lines here and there. The work is then displayed in the museum (the market), and visitors (the community), as they examine the painting from differing perspectives, add in new lines/colors/figures that expand on the original work. As more and more visitors flock in, the painting becomes vibrant, colorful and complex, the shapes having become more distinguishable. While the painter's original figure can still be seen, the art has expanded in many unforeseen directions that only increase the work's total value and the author is credited for having created such an expandable and deep masterpiece, appreciated by many.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Whenever I start imagining something to draw, what I put on paper usually ends up nothing like what my mind had initially rendered. Yes, the essence is still there, but only vaguely resembles the original concept. Over time, as I come back to the drawing, I usually see new details I hadn't noticed myself drawing and appreciate the picture for what it turned out to be instead of what it was supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure the same applies to Smash. During development, Sakurai certainly has a concept in mind of how the game will end up. After release, as people get to play around with the game, they discover all these "new details" Sakurai had thrown in, whether intentionally or not, and play the game the way they want it too. Say, after a long well-deserved vacation, Sakurai comes back to check up on his work of "art". He will surely be delighted to see what all these people have noticed and utilized in his work instead of sticking to his initial plan. By doing so, they have added an entirely new level of depth to the game that even the creator hadn't seen.

If Smash was a painting, this is how the canvas would look like, in my opinion: the painter (Sakurai) has only painted the frame of a vague yet relatively simple figure, with a few subtle lines here and there. The work is then displayed in the museum (the market), and visitors (the community), as they examine the painting from differing perspectives, add in new lines/colors/figures that expand on the original work. As more and more visitors flock in, the painting becomes vibrant, colorful and complex, the shapes having become more distinguishable. While the painter's original figure can still be seen, the art has expanded in many unforeseen directions that only increase the work's total value and the author is credited for having created such an expandable and deep masterpiece, appreciated by many.
The man brings up a good point. However, I think with a game, it's more than a painting. A game is more like utilitarian art. Like a beautifully designed office chair. Over the years, LOTS of people began using this chair as a sort of skateboard. People even organized tournaments to see who could do the coolest tricks on their office chair in a skate park. The office chair was never made to be used in such a way, but it's awesome that it can be used that way. However, the next time the designer designs a chair, nobody should expect him to make his office chair more aerodynamic, because that was never a goal of his in the first place. The designer is welcome to embrace this divergent path and purposefully make his next chair a chair-skateboard, but nobody should get angry at him because he decides to make another beautiful chair that happens to not be as good of a skateboard.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yo dude, that "opinion" quote had me rollin'.

Also, as an artist, I can confirm that what Lancer is saying is bull ****. Where did that even come from? Is he literally just taking excerpts of what others are saying and throwing them in the argument?

As an artist, sometimes you have an idea in your head that you want on paper, but once the pencil is in motion you make something else. If you accidentally mark something wrong, you build up from it; it's free flowing and intuitive. And even if what came about wasn't of my original intent, I can appreciate it for what it is, and who knows, maybe what I created by mistake will inspire me to create something similar once again.
You intentionally left the 'mistake' there, correct? In the end, it was intentional. There are no wrong answers when it comes to making art, but you can disagree with it, and the artist himself can too.

terrible. i'm giving up on you. but first:

"wavedashing and no wavedashing are right." wtf does that even mean?

"if you're going to try and make the 'intentional' thing vague" = "i can't or didn't read what you said."

"You can't prove SSB is better with or without Wavedashing and techs." if you read what i said and think saying those words somehow addresses mine, you are an idiot. it's always funny when people feel like they should be disagreeing with you on every point, and consequently don't realize when you're agreeing with them on some points.

"When I asked him to keep his opinions out of the argument, I ment for him to keep the ones based on opinions out." just........laughable.

"When it comes to art, only right answers come from the artist while he's making it." literally no artist thinks this. right answers? about what?

oh look, a theme: "right, wrong, right, wrong, right, wrong." i'd ask you to articulate what you mean when you say "x is right" or "y is wrong," but i know you can't. it makes no sense. pizza is wrong. wood floors are right. wavedashing and no wavedashing are right. these statements are nothing. you're out of your mind, kid.
Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are both right answers. It's like an RPG where you can choose stats after a level-up. One can be better, but you're free to choose the one you like most AKA the right one.

You said ''Is the line between intentional and unintentional getting blury yet?'' That is the 'intentional' thing.

You said something like ''Sakurai is making his art something it doesn't want to be.'' correct? You think that because the fanbase you're in thinks that. If the fanbase hated Wavedashing, you'd probably be applauding Sakurai for removing it.

Right answers? The right answer on what the art should be. Art can be anything, the artist chooses what he wants. The artist is right. If he wants gaps for interpretation, he'll leave them. If they crop up somewhere he doesn't want them, he can choose to leave them or squash them out of existence. He went with the later for Wavedashing.

When can we get back to the matter at hand? Wavedashing was clearly unintentional and Sakurai didn't appreciate it's effects on the metagame. He removed it. He doesn't care if somebody thinks it's 'going against what the art wants to be.' His art, his rules. He never had to make it the way you wanted it. This:
The man brings up a good point. However, I think with a game, it's more than a painting. A game is more like utilitarian art. Like a beautifully designed office chair. Over the years, LOTS of people began using this chair as a sort of skateboard. People even organized tournaments to see who could do the coolest tricks on their office chair in a skate park. The office chair was never made to be used in such a way, but it's awesome that it can be used that way. However, the next time the designer designs a chair, nobody should expect him to make his office chair more aerodynamic, because that was never a goal of his in the first place. The designer is welcome to embrace this divergent path and purposefully make his next chair a chair-skateboard, but nobody should get angry at him because he decides to make another beautiful chair that happens to not be as good of a skateboard.
Sums it up quite nicely. 'Everybody' expected Brawl to have Wavedashing and got upset because of it, when they shouldn't have of expected it in the first place. It's a disgrace that there's so many people upset over a glitch being removed and that there's people that think it could come back. Sakurai isn't suddenly going to go against his design philosophy he's used his whole life.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Sums it up quite nicely. 'Everybody' expected Brawl to have Wavedashing and got upset because of it, when they shouldn't have of expected it in the first place. It's a disgrace that there's so many people upset over a glitch being removed and that there's people that think it could come back. Sakurai isn't suddenly going to go against his design philosophy he's used his whole life.
I believe this to be one of the key points of contention between players. Wavedashing may not have been an intended technique, but it's also not a "glitch." A glitch is when the game is not behaving as intended. The thing about wavedashing is that the game itself is behaving exactly as it should according to the laws of physics that are established by the engine. Wavedashing, however, is brought about by a sequence of legitimate actions (jumping, air dodging) that results in a slide that one would expect if a character has significant sideways momentum when landing. Therefore, wavedashing is an exploitation of the physics in order to bring about an action that wasn't intended, but the events that take place are in proper accordance to the physics of the game.

xandre

Smash Cadet
You intentionally left the 'mistake' there, correct? In the end, it was intentional. There are no wrong answers when it comes to making art, but you can disagree with it, and the artist himself can too.

Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are both right answers. It's like an RPG where you can choose stats after a level-up. One can be better, but you're free to choose the one you like most AKA the right one.

You said ''Is the line between intentional and unintentional getting blury yet?'' That is the 'intentional' thing.

You said something like ''Sakurai is making his art something it doesn't want to be.'' correct? You think that because the fanbase you're in thinks that. If the fanbase hated Wavedashing, you'd probably be applauding Sakurai for removing it.

Right answers? The right answer on what the art should be. Art can be anything, the artist chooses what he wants. The artist is right. If he wants gaps for interpretation, he'll leave them. If they crop up somewhere he doesn't want them, he can choose to leave them or squash them out of existence. He went with the later for Wavedashing.

When can we get back to the matter at hand? Wavedashing was clearly unintentional and Sakurai didn't appreciate it's effects on the metagame. He removed it. He doesn't care if somebody thinks it's 'going against what the art wants to be.' His art, his rules. He never had to make it the way you wanted it. This:

1) "You said something like 'Sakurai is making his art something it doesn't want to be.' correct? You think that because the fanbase you're in thinks that. If the fanbase hated Wavedashing, you'd probably be applauding Sakurai for removing it."

No. "my point is not that removing wavedashing (e.g.) will irrefutably be a case of the creator not letting his game be what it wants to be. my point is only that even if there were such a thing as purely intending or not intending something, the argument that he is indeed not letting the game be what it wants to be will always be available to those who want to make it."

again, you either didn't read what i said, or it was beyond your comprehension. it's like you tripped on the stairs leading up to my argument-house, knocked yourself unconscious, woke up in a hospital and tried to describe my argument-living room to everyone as if you'd seen it. to mix metaphors: you're lost and have no idea.

2) "Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are both right answers. It's like an RPG where you can choose stats after a level-up. One can be better, but you're free to choose the one you like most AKA the right one."

horrible diction/composition/conceptualization. answers to what question? "what can people like, wavedashing or no wavedashing?" how awkwardly conceived. why not just come out and say it: "it should be clear that some people like a game with wavedashing, and some people do not." furthermore, no ****. as soon as anyone enters this argument they immediately realize this--the fact that there is an argument between people on these issues at all means this must be true. people like different things...yes, we're aware. it isn't a conclusion, it's a premise in a more complicated problem, and it was certainly at least implied in my original post.

3) Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?
Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"

We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.

and here we see how you've been misrepresenting sakurai. you make it seem like he was preoccupied with a glitch that tainted his game. not only did he intentionally leave it in in melee, he clearly states that he didn't go into brawl development knowing he wanted to tear wavedashing out because it offended his personal artistic tastes; rather, his NEW commitment to the casual turned out to be incompatible with it. there's a big difference between excision and omission: "it wasn't a matter of, 'OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?'" contradicts much of what you've been saying.

4) "Right answers? The right answer on what the art should be. Art can be anything, the artist chooses what he wants. The artist is right. If he wants gaps for interpretation, he'll leave them."

"The artist is right" is not a real sentence. again, it means nothing. it isn't even true if you mean "the artist knows what he meant," as previously discussed. innumerable artists have throughout history and in this very forum cede this very point. the closest to true it can be is if you mean "the artist can do whatever he wants." yes, but that's true for kindergartners pushing random piano keys. there is a reason we don't give a **** about their work, you know. but again, as i said in my original post, it ISN'T EVEN ALWAYS TRUE THAT THE ARTIST "CHOOSES WHAT HE WANTS." sometimes this is true, yes. but sometimes, he merely chooses what he happens to choose (whether in desperation, distraction, or experimentation), not really knowing what he wants. sometimes he chooses what he wants and realizes later that what he wants was ****ty--sometimes he comes to that realization on his own, sometimes he gets help from editors, friends, critics, or players. obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious.

the point, to summarize is this: "art can be anything," as you say, including awful and not worth anyone's time. sakurai is in charge, yes. (THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT FOR THE 4,453,492,204,195,706,349 TIME. none of us knew.) he can and will make the game he wants to make--fine. but think about this: while no one is claiming that brawl is without any merit whatsoever, what if sakurai created a game that was much, much, much, much worse--one with practically and virtually no merit compared to the rest of the smash series? what if he completely reinvented smash into a turned base, chibi-style jrpg phone app for $2.99? at the exclusion of any other smash game, ever? where the **** would your argument be then? the point is SO simple: an artist can ruin something in a very real sense. EVERYONE knows this at some level.

5) to recap by responding to you and huxtupleyoo, then:

it could be a bad thing for an audience's expectations to interfere with enjoying a new thing in a new way--a different kind of chair, as you say. but you fail to acknowledge that the different kind of chair might just suck--not necessarily because it is different from a incarnation that didn't suck, but for any other possible reasons. in other words, you're conflating same/different dichotomy with the good/bad dichotomy. different doesn't necessarily mean bad, but it certainly doesn't ensure good. i happen to love ocarina of time and wind waker despite how different they are. it would be a mistake to allow oneself to be put off by how different ww is from oot, because it has a lot to offer. however, it could have been the case that it was very different AND not good. surely you recognize that not every possible way wind waker could have turned out is not immune from criticism just because it was different--just like you should recognize that not every possible way it could have turned out is not immune from criticism because of the whims of the project manager. a possible incarnation of wind waker: every time you beat a dungeon, your boat gets a new laser gun that shoots a different breed of dog at your enemies. you can't complain, because aonuma thought it was neat. aonuma was right. it was his baby. you have to be okay with it. art can be anything. no. well, yes, but what it is effects whether it's worth a damn.

well, who's to judge what is good or bad? is this not just a matter of taste? yes it is, but there is only so much variance. some would rather have pizza than burgers, but no one likes dog **** sandwiches and cardboard circles topped bermuda grass and broken glass. well, some people might like those, but just try to replace the big mac and stuffed-crust pizza with them. i wonder what would happen. likewise: maybe you would prefer a photo-realistic zelda, maybe i prefer a stylized one. this doesn't change the fact that zelda has a nucleus, and you can't enter the project being totally nihilistic/relativist about the direction of the series. you can make a bad zelda. "you can make a bad zelda." simple, true. you can make a bad smash. simple, true. an artist's choices can fail miserably. we all know this intuitively, don't complicate it.

and yes, we can potentially get justifiably angry at sakurai if he squanders opportunities with a great franchise. wouldn't you be mad if they only made one zelda movie ever and kevin bacon was link with brown hair and a beard, and zelda was jane lynch? you'd say, "damn, there went the one shot to make something legendary." dialing back the ridiculousness of my examples changes nothing, and leads you to the conclusive argument: sure that zelda movie was good, but it could have been great. sure, star wars episodes 1-3 were good, but they could have been great--and if you acknowledge this, you have to entertain the question, "should they have been modeled more off the successful 4-6?" think of all the possibilities for smash--like or unlike melee--that were excluded when sakurai played it artistically and commercially safe with brawl. when he played it slow with brawl. different, yes. bad, no. legendary, not even close. to be fair, legendary is hard, but at least give it a shot.

6) kingdom of the crystal skull.

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
I believe this to be one of the key points of contention between players. Wavedashing may not have been an intended technique, but it's also not a "glitch." A glitch is when the game is not behaving as intended. The thing about wavedashing is that the game itself is behaving exactly as it should according to the laws of physics that are established by the engine. Wavedashing, however, is brought about by a sequence of legitimate actions (jumping, air dodging) that results in a slide that one would expect if a character has significant sideways momentum when landing. Therefore, wavedashing is an exploitation of the physics in order to bring about an action that wasn't intended, but the events that take place are in proper accordance to the physics of the game.
yes, and to lancer: even if it was created unintentionally, it was intentionally left in the game. as i said before, there is no material difference between leaving in an accident and crafting something perfectly according to your original intention. art is a bunch of both and everything in between.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
yes, and to lancer: even if it was created unintentionally, it was intentionally left in the game. as i said before, there is no material difference between leaving in an accident and crafting something perfectly according to your original intention. art is a bunch of both and everything in between.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was "Intentionally left in the game." That implies that they found it. I don't give them that much credit. =P

I think the fact that wavedashing became a thing in the first place was sort of a fluke. I mean, it's a little weird for someone to think to air dodge into the ground before the jump even leaves the ground. I do have to wonder what player first discovered that it could be done.

Ah, nope. I get to eat my hat now. Did a quick search and allegedly, Sakurai and the dev team were aware of the concept of wavedashing, but didn't think it an issue. I'm a little surprised that they actually suspected that people would purposefully exploit it as a point of skill. I kinda wanna call bull, but I won't.

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't go as far as saying it was "Intentionally left in the game." That implies that they found it. I don't give them that much credit. =P

I think the fact that wavedashing became a thing in the first place was sort of a fluke. I mean, it's a little weird for someone to think to air dodge into the ground before the jump even leaves the ground. I do have to wonder what player first discovered that it could be done.
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Oh great, now you have me feeling like I'm just completely out of the loop. =P

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
what if he completely reinvented smash into a turned base, chibi-style jrpg phone app for $2.99? at the exclusion of any other smash game, ever?
Would buy/10

Seriously though, I think you might be the best debater I've seen on Smashboards. Your arguments hold ground and are very solid and well-thought, yet they gave me such a good laugh.

some would rather have pizza than burgers, but no one likes dog **** sandwiches and cardboard circles topped bermuda grass and broken glass.
This killed me.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Oh great, now you have me feeling like I'm just completely out of the loop. =P
Sakurai mentions in the orange quote that they found wavedashing in the development period.

Seriously, @ xandre xandre These posts are amazing to read, too bad you're debating someone so thick skulled.

Last edited:

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

Smash Apprentice
I like how the internet gives you so much information and there are people who still want to block it out. People like him don't want me here because I'm making counter points. Gasp. Ban him lest we here a different opinion.

First, let consider levels and trends. Level is nice but it can mean very little without trend. And that trend is one of declining attendance. Apex 2014 was behind for both Melee (compared to EVO) and Brawl (compared to EVO last year). Melee numbers are high, but how long will it last? One of the problems the community hasn't considered is that Melee is 12 years old. People who were 10 when Melee came out are 22. The people who were 15 when it came out are now 27. Looking at some of the profiles for top Melee players, they are in their early to mid 20s. Many of these people are very young, but wont be young for long. It's also interesting to note that some of the top players joined in 2007. So what's the point. There are two problems. The first is this "Melee revival" came from a $95,000 injection in a contest for EVO. Besides being expensive, it is unlikely that something like this will happen again, We've noticed that there is a declining trend in attendance, and people are getting older. Will Mango be willing to donate money when he is 28, trying to save, advance his career and provide for his new born son/daughter? Probably not. And that is the issue that the community is running up against. The second issue, of course, would be age. As I noted, a lot of the top players joined in 2007, so they are second wave players. A lot of these people probably owned a Gamecube or played Melee on the Wii. Now, consider the people who are joining now. They are joining in 2013. The Wii U us not backwards compatible, the new Wiis can't play Gamecube games, Gamecube controller are hard to find (least you order them from Japan), and a copy of the game is just as hard to find. What these new people are going to play is SSB WiiU/3DS. And that is the third issue. The community is going to shift to WiiU/3DS. Even if they enjoy Melee, everyone is going to want to try the new game. Competition is going to be hot for this game early one. M2K says he wants to be the best at it. The problem is the iron is hot for Melee now, but if it cools, it may be gone for good. Melee attendence at Apex was behind Brawl until recently. And again, the new community will be the WiiU/3DS players. These people either started on Brawl or WiiU/3DS and probably know little about Melee or have little interest in learning a 12 year old game. And again, let's look at the sales numbers. Despite high attendance at EVO, it only ammounted to 700 players which is a messily one hundredth of one percent of Melee's sales. If the community is going to grow, it needs to do something better. For comparison's sake, while it was the largest Smash tournament, it was drawfed by Street Fighter 4 (1,601) and Marvel 3 (1,297). It only barely beat SFxT (545) which is a garbage game. While the EVO numbers seem nice, we are seeing a declining trend, factors that will make it worse, an issue of the community's future, and the fact that despite stellar sales for the series, the game can not compete on tournament attendance.

On Brawl, it seems you need a fact check. Brawl has clocked over 100 million hours and has an average of 73 hours played per person. So it's clear that the lack of "crazy combos" were not an issue. In the same vein, there was a lot of opposition to wavedashing. Basically, the game will prosper without the competitive aspect.

To end, why make such an issue of the community and Melee. Well, first, it's kind of the community not moving on. There was a great post on another board but I'm having trouble finding it. Anyway, the issue is that other communities never had a problem moving on because they were fans of the series and were willing to try out the new game. Brawl, on the other hand, wasn't Melee so the community didn't want to give it the time of day. The other thing is the continued viability of the scene. I explained before that the series is running into a brick wall, and if not solved, the community will die (though the series will live on). These next few months will be the most important.
(Going up and down on your reply)
1. Some games are like wine, they taste better with age, look at CS or Doom. Not saying I don't deny your statement about age being a possible negative factor on the Melee communities life-spam but think of the communities hold on Melee like this: We have only had so many games in the series and most have only played brawl or melee so the choice for the community is to embrace one, the formal,later, or both. To most that have played melee and many people experienced with fighting games will say that Melee is the deeper game and more well designed game for the 2d fighter. You think the fighting experience in Brawl will be as cared for as Melee or other fighting games when 3/5 the development was spent making Subspace Emissary? If Smash 4 is anything it is billed to be as a fighting game I could possible see it limit Melee's community and prove you that part of the issue was Brawl not being a suitable replacement for a game as well made as Melee. But even then this game has preserved a lot of trials and still stands tall to this day. You should not underestimate this community like so many have in times past.

2. A counter-argument for your age factor is this: if age is the factor we would just buy games of similar IP's just because it is newer and basically make us COD fans that buy the same game every year just because it is newer and so then we would have embraced brawl, but we know age doesn't make a game instantly better than previous versions.

3.Also for your Wii-u not being compatible with GameCube games: In your FACE
GC games are coming soon mind you.

Wii-U controller
4. Wii-U Pro is Not a bad controller to use for SSB (C-Stick might be issue and triggers but that's only complaints from me) and that's not including USB converters that will make the Wii-u compatible with GameCube controllers if wanted.(not completed yet but it is technically plausible)
Then you have to figure third parties will make controllers so the issue won't be cataclysmic problem.

Super Smash Bros Wii-U
SSB64 is already on it. You think they would ignore putting Melee on it eventually with that being easy money?

On Brawl, it seems you need a fact check. Brawl has clocked over 100 million hours and has an average of 73 hours played per person. So it's clear that the lack of "crazy combos" were not an issue. In the same vein, there was a lot of opposition to wavedashing. Basically, the game will prosper without the competitive aspect.
5.How much of that was from PM? XD
Also this data is lacking since you can't pull up the data from GC games total playtime and as we all figure to know that Melee would have the higher average of hours played/person. Get data from both sides before making assumptions.
Competition IS THE GAME ITSELF. You play to have fun and try to beat your opponent that is the point of the games trying to win is the raw definition of this game and so ask folks if they would like to play a version of Super Smash Bros were there is no winners or losers and see how that goes.
Competitive gaming is free adverting for one, increase loyalty to the IP and creators two, keeps interest in the game three.
DOTA, Counter-Strike, Halo all got expansively bigger from competitive gaming and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

6.For wavedashing let someone else explain it because ...
http://lefunny.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/I’m-done-carry-me.jpg

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Sakurai mentions in the orange quote that they found wavedashing in the development period.

Seriously, @ xandre xandre These posts are amazing to read, too bad you're debating someone so thick skulled.
Yeah, I admit that I hadn't read the entirety of the thread when I began replying. =P So I feel a bit dumb at this point. I think I'm just going to mosey on outta here now.

xandre

Smash Cadet

Ah, nope. I get to eat my hat now. Did a quick search and allegedly, Sakurai and the dev team were aware of the concept of wavedashing, but didn't think it an issue. I'm a little surprised that they actually suspected that people would purposefully exploit it as a point of skill. I kinda wanna call bull, but I won't.
that's a good point...it very well might be bull. i mean, if i completely missed something like that in my game, i wouldn't want people knowing i did. the people who like it give you credit, and you don't look incompetent for missing such a game-changing mechanic.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
that's a good point...it very well might be bull. i mean, if i completely missed something like that in my game, i wouldn't want people knowing i did. the people who like it give you credit, and you don't look incompetent for missing such a game-changing mechanic.
Yeah, that's precisely why I'm slightly skeptical. People say what they need to in interviews to maintain the status quo. And Sakurai is really good at creating interesting gameplay and control mechanics, but that level of attention to nuance isn't something I think I'm ready to attribute to Sakurai. When things are deliberate, he knows how to fine tune, but I'm not so sure about stuff like this.

But take it or leave it. I'm not about to call Sakurai a bold-faced liar. =P

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it was the lack of wave dashing that got everyone upset about brawl.

I mean, I wasn't around, but from what I know, it doesn't sound like players went into the game, tried to wavedash, and threw the controller through their tv screen in anger when they couldn't.

People got upset because it didn't feel like melee. Plain and simple.

Yes, it is /completely/ the designers choice how they want to create their game.
However something that was mentioned before. The beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder not the creator. Even if the creator is beholding, they are doing it from a different perspective.

(As a side note, the reason everyone expected wave dashing in brawl is because it was in melee. Whether it was intentional or not doesn't really play into this. It was in melee regardless of how it got there, and as many players really liked this mechanic, you can see why they would be disappointed. It's like how disappointed I was when the tanooki suit wasn't in Super Mario World. No, the debs didn't have to put it there, they were fully within their own right not to. But that doesn't make me any less sad that it's not there. It was f'ing cool!)

But like I said, no melee player went in with the mindset of "If I can't wavedash, this game is terrible." They went in expecting a sequel to a game they loved with everything that made the game that they love in it.

Regardless of how you define wave dashing, wave dashing defined melee. It sped up the game. It required skill. It was something you couldn't do accidentally. Smash is not a game you can mash buttons at and be pro accidentally. This is why I support L-cancelling. Yes, it's a tech barrier. But it's a tech barrier to separate those who want to learn the game and those who don't. And it gives those who /want/ to learn something difficult to practice. it gives those who want to be a good a way to be better than those who just wanted to play. It provided an avenue for skill development.

To bring this all back around, yes the designer is within their right to make choices as to what they want in their game. But it is up to the public to decide whether a game has merit. And it's up to the players to make a game popular. People love melee more, and not without reason. Yes, I'm sure there were a few players that just said "This game is stupid and bad because it's slow". But they're dumb, don't listen to them.
Above all else, if brawl was the better game, it would be more loved than melee. (And Project M would never have existed.)

Dark grey stuff is off topic and not directed. Just some thoughts.

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a big fan of quote soup, but for this I have to kind of take it in bits since there was not an overarching thesis.
Melee sold 7 million out of GameCube 22 million units possible. cited
Brawl sold about 11 million out of 100.9 Million possible units cited
"Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" (PDF). Nintendo. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2014-01-29.

Do the math what % bought the game with who had the console.

@ xandre xandre

Last edited:

JediLink

Smash Ace
1) "You said something like 'Sakurai is making his art something it doesn't want to be.' correct? You think that because the fanbase you're in thinks that. If the fanbase hated Wavedashing, you'd probably be applauding Sakurai for removing it."

No. "my point is not that removing wavedashing (e.g.) will irrefutably be a case of the creator not letting his game be what it wants to be. my point is only that even if there were such a thing as purely intending or not intending something, the argument that he is indeed not letting the game be what it wants to be will always be available to those who want to make it."

again, you either didn't read what i said, or it was beyond your comprehension. it's like you tripped on the stairs leading up to my argument-house, knocked yourself unconscious, woke up in a hospital and tried to describe my argument-living room to everyone as if you'd seen it. to mix metaphors: you're lost and have no idea.

2) "Wavedashing and no Wavedashing are both right answers. It's like an RPG where you can choose stats after a level-up. One can be better, but you're free to choose the one you like most AKA the right one."

horrible diction/composition/conceptualization. answers to what question? "what can people like, wavedashing or no wavedashing?" how awkwardly conceived. why not just come out and say it: "it should be clear that some people like a game with wavedashing, and some people do not." furthermore, no ****. as soon as anyone enters this argument they immediately realize this--the fact that there is an argument between people on these issues at all means this must be true. people like different things...yes, we're aware. it isn't a conclusion, it's a premise in a more complicated problem, and it was certainly at least implied in my original post.

3) Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?
Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"

We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.

and here we see how you've been misrepresenting sakurai. you make it seem like he was preoccupied with a glitch that tainted his game. not only did he intentionally leave it in in melee, he clearly states that he didn't go into brawl development knowing he wanted to tear wavedashing out because it offended his personal artistic tastes; rather, his NEW commitment to the casual turned out to be incompatible with it. there's a big difference between excision and omission: "it wasn't a matter of, 'OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?'" contradicts much of what you've been saying.

4) "Right answers? The right answer on what the art should be. Art can be anything, the artist chooses what he wants. The artist is right. If he wants gaps for interpretation, he'll leave them."

"The artist is right" is not a real sentence. again, it means nothing. it isn't even true if you mean "the artist knows what he meant," as previously discussed. innumerable artists have throughout history and in this very forum cede this very point. the closest to true it can be is if you mean "the artist can do whatever he wants." yes, but that's true for kindergartners pushing random piano keys. there is a reason we don't give a **** about their work, you know. but again, as i said in my original post, it ISN'T EVEN ALWAYS TRUE THAT THE ARTIST "CHOOSES WHAT HE WANTS." sometimes this is true, yes. but sometimes, he merely chooses what he happens to choose (whether in desperation, distraction, or experimentation), not really knowing what he wants. sometimes he chooses what he wants and realizes later that what he wants was ****ty--sometimes he comes to that realization on his own, sometimes he gets help from editors, friends, critics, or players. obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious.

the point, to summarize is this: "art can be anything," as you say, including awful and not worth anyone's time. sakurai is in charge, yes. (THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT FOR THE 4,453,492,204,195,706,349 TIME. none of us knew.) he can and will make the game he wants to make--fine. but think about this: while no one is claiming that brawl is without any merit whatsoever, what if sakurai created a game that was much, much, much, much worse--one with practically and virtually no merit compared to the rest of the smash series? what if he completely reinvented smash into a turned base, chibi-style jrpg phone app for $2.99? at the exclusion of any other smash game, ever? where the **** would your argument be then? the point is SO simple: an artist can ruin something in a very real sense. EVERYONE knows this at some level.

it could be a bad thing for an audience's expectations to interfere with enjoying a new thing in a new way--a different kind of chair, as you say. but you fail to acknowledge that the different kind of chair might just suck--not necessarily because it is different from a incarnation that didn't suck, but for any other possible reasons. in other words, you're conflating same/different dichotomy with the good/bad dichotomy. different doesn't necessarily mean bad, but it certainly doesn't ensure good. i happen to love ocarina of time and wind waker despite how different they are. it would be a mistake to allow oneself to be put off by how different ww is from oot, because it has a lot to offer. however, it could have been the case that it was very different AND not good. surely you recognize that not every possible way wind waker could have turned out is not immune from criticism just because it was different--just like you should recognize that not every possible way it could have turned out is not immune from criticism because of the whims of the project manager. a possible incarnation of wind waker: every time you beat a dungeon, your boat gets a new laser gun that shoots a different breed of dog at your enemies. you can't complain, because aonuma thought it was neat. aonuma was right. it was his baby. you have to be okay with it. art can be anything. no. well, yes, but what it is effects whether it's worth a damn.

well, who's to judge what is good or bad? is this not just a matter of taste? yes it is, but there is only so much variance. some would rather have pizza than burgers, but no one likes dog **** sandwiches and cardboard circles topped bermuda grass and broken glass. well, some people might like those, but just try to replace the big mac and stuffed-crust pizza with them. i wonder what would happen. likewise: maybe you would prefer a photo-realistic zelda, maybe i prefer a stylized one. this doesn't change the fact that zelda has a nucleus, and you can't enter the project being totally nihilistic/relativist about the direction of the series. you can make a bad zelda. "you can make a bad zelda." simple, true. you can make a bad smash. simple, true. an artist's choices can fail miserably. we all know this intuitively, don't complicate it.

and yes, we can potentially get justifiably angry at sakurai if he squanders opportunities with a great franchise. wouldn't you be mad if they only made one zelda movie ever and kevin bacon was link with brown hair and a beard, and zelda was jane lynch? you'd say, "damn, there went the one shot to make something legendary." dialing back the ridiculousness of my examples changes nothing, and leads you to the conclusive argument: sure that zelda movie was good, but it could have been great. sure, star wars episodes 1-3 were good, but they could have been great--and if you acknowledge this, you have to entertain the question, "should they have been modeled more off the successful 4-6?" think of all the possibilities for smash--like or unlike melee--that were excluded when sakurai played it artistically and commercially safe with brawl. when he played it slow with brawl. different, yes. bad, no. legendary, not even close. to be fair, legendary is hard, but at least give it a shot.

Perfection/10.

I feel so inadequate with my debating skills now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Was Wavedashing 100% intended by Sakurai? No. It simply got left in.

Dude, chill. That's like five words from a TLDR.

First, it's an opinion that SSB is better with Wavedashing. There is no proof it's better with it. Better in the eyes of a few, maybe.

Second, you're the one who asked what I ment by that they're both right. Now you're complaining because I gave you an obvious answer?

Third, I've sited that article many times in this topic. I apologize if I made it sound like Sakurai was out on a gli-witch hunt. Anyway, he intentionally left it in Melee. Do you honestly think he would of left it in if he knew what'd it cause and he had more time? He could of only discovered a triangle jump instead of a real Wavedash even. And you just admitted that he could just be saying that he found it to save face. As for the 'take it out or not' thing, he said it clashed with what he wanted Brawl to be. He never even said if it clashed with what he wanted Melee to be.

Fourth and fifth, it'd be ruined: In the fans eyes. Even then, it'd find new fans. He's still right if the fans hate it.

As for the last bit, what was wrong with it? I thought it was pretty good. INB4 You call me tasteless.

Do I even have to say it?

I don't think it was the lack of wave dashing that got everyone upset about brawl.

I mean, I wasn't around, but from what I know, it doesn't sound like players went into the game, tried to wavedash, and threw the controller through their tv screen in anger when they couldn't.

People got upset because it didn't feel like melee. Plain and simple.

Yes, it is /completely/ the designers choice how they want to create their game.
However something that was mentioned before. The beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder not the creator. Even if the creator is beholding, they are doing it from a different perspective.

(As a side note, the reason everyone expected wave dashing in brawl is because it was in melee. Whether it was intentional or not doesn't really play into this. It was in melee regardless of how it got there, and as many players really liked this mechanic, you can see why they would be disappointed. It's like how disappointed I was when the tanooki suit wasn't in Super Mario World. No, the debs didn't have to put it there, they were fully within their own right not to. But that doesn't make me any less sad that it's not there. It was f'ing cool!)

But like I said, no melee player went in with the mindset of "If I can't wavedash, this game is terrible." They went in expecting a sequel to a game they loved with everything that made the game that they love in it.

Regardless of how you define wave dashing, wave dashing defined melee. It sped up the game. It required skill. It was something you couldn't do accidentally. Smash is not a game you can mash buttons at and be pro accidentally. This is why I support L-cancelling. Yes, it's a tech barrier. But it's a tech barrier to separate those who want to learn the game and those who don't. And it gives those who /want/ to learn something difficult to practice. it gives those who want to be a good a way to be better than those who just wanted to play. It provided an avenue for skill development.

To bring this all back around, yes the designer is within their right to make choices as to what they want in their game. But it is up to the public to decide whether a game has merit. And it's up to the players to make a game popular. People love melee more, and not without reason. Yes, I'm sure there were a few players that just said "This game is stupid and bad because it's slow". But they're dumb, don't listen to them.
Above all else, if brawl was the better game, it would be more loved than melee. (And Project M would never have existed.)

Dark grey stuff is off topic and not directed. Just some thoughts.
I'll admit Brawl is worse competitively then Melee. But yes, there are people who complained solely about the lack of Wavedashing day one. People will complain about every little change. Even if Brawl was competitive heaven, PM would exist in some form simply because the SSB fanbase is that big, and I'd wager somebody will create a project B for SSB4 simply because people usually aren't willing to let go. There WILL be people complaining that SSB4 isn't Brawl 2.

Don't make me destroy you twice!
"Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" (PDF). Nintendo. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2014-01-29.

@ xandre xandre

The first bit is sorted out. But the sales thing, there's so many factors that a simple % comparison isn't an accurate way to gauge overall popularity.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yes. If you haven't yet realized, you're an extreme bigot.
1.You still have no idea what he's saying, and you're just paraphrasing a passage you either skimmed or didn't comprehend. @ xandre xandre provides numerous good points that you just drop on a whim, if this was an official debate then you would've been kicked out by now.

2.You don't even get the concept of his argument or any around you, seriously, you need comprehension skills. You argue art like you actually know the subject, which you clearly don't, and you're bagging on him for trying to get through to you, which obviously won't happen.

3.You act as if somebody in here has Sakurai's ****ing phone number. You don't know what he felt about wavedashing, we don't know if he even cared how it changed the way the game was played, the only thing we know is that he removed it to lower the skill ceiling, which was basically his entire focus of brawl. Heck, even if he did think that wave dashing would've been a bad thing there's no proof that he would still think it now
Besides, you clearly ignored this
to lancer: even if it was created unintentionally, it was intentionally left in the game. as i said before, there is no material difference between leaving in an accident and crafting something perfectly according to your original intention. art is a bunch of both and everything in between.
4. Pretty much everyone else summarizes it for me.
terrible. I'm giving up on you.
What I'm trying to get at is that you are seriously misinformed on a lot of things you are talking about and don't truly understand a lot of the stuff you are talking about.
Don't make me destroy you twice!
Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to leave this to someone who cares enough to consistently reply to you talking from your ass.

Don't bother replying to this now, someone will be here shortly with the actual argument.

Last edited:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It can be argued that sakurai felt wave dashing had a place in melee, if you dont want to go as far as saying he liked the mechanic. Most people don't know that there are multiple versions of melee that fix various bugs. The pal version actually had subtle balance changes, but every version of melee has wave dashing.

...What--the ****?

Dude I just said it was an accident. How can you intentionally do something on accident? C'mon dude. Dude you're just vomiting words, and not the productive kind.

Talking about design philosophies he has used his entire life...n**ga...he is older than you by 2 decades and some change, what place are you in to talk about his life ? You've only known this guy existed since 2006, and don't pretend that it isn't the truth.

Lancer, you clearly don't or know when to quit while you're ahead, now it's at the point where you have been fraudulently discombobulated by the majority of the posters in this thread, which if I recall correctly...*looks at title*--yup; the thread is about tech skill in smash , but you made this about your personal quarrel with wave dashing. I'm just gonna conclude that you aren't particularly good with this tech or you were brutally beaten by a player who uses this tech and inflected your issues on everyone else. Please just stop or comeback when are more informed.

Last edited:

xandre

Smash Cadet
Was Wavedashing 100% intended by Sakurai? No. It simply got left in.

Dude, chill. That's like five words from a TLDR.

First, it's an opinion that SSB is better with Wavedashing. There is no proof it's better with it. Better in the eyes of a few, maybe.

Second, you're the one who asked what I ment by that they're both right. Now you're complaining because I gave you an obvious answer?

Third, I've sited that article many times in this topic. I apologize if I made it sound like Sakurai was out on a gli-witch hunt. Anyway, he intentionally left it in Melee. Do you honestly think he would of left it in if he knew what'd it cause and he had more time? He could of only discovered a triangle jump instead of a real Wavedash even. And you just admitted that he could just be saying that he found it to save face. As for the 'take it out or not' thing, he said it clashed with what he wanted Brawl to be. He never even said if it clashed with what he wanted Melee to be.

Fourth and fifth, it'd be ruined: In the fans eyes. Even then, it'd find new fans. He's still right if the fans hate it.

As for the last bit, what was wrong with it? I thought it was pretty good. INB4 You call me tasteless.

I'll admit Brawl is worse competitively then Melee. But yes, there are people who complained solely about the lack of Wavedashing day one. People will complain about every little change. Even if Brawl was competitive heaven, PM would exist in some form simply because the SSB fanbase is that big, and I'd wager somebody will create a project B for SSB4 simply because people usually aren't willing to let go. There WILL be people complaining that SSB4 isn't Brawl 2.

The first bit is sorted out. But the sales thing, there's so many factors that a simple % comparison isn't an accurate way to gauge overall popularity.
now i know you haven't done today's reading, lancer. 0 for participation. this thread has stagnated because you can't even tell who agrees with you on what points, so you're just throwing out any random argument that comes to mind--to paraphrase muster. arguing with someone is hard enough when they realize a shared premise when they see one. but you refuse to agree with people on the things they agree with you on. "first, it's an opinion that SSB is better with wavedashing." yes, bud. yes. yes. yes. yes. we all are trying to say something beyond/in addition to/stemming from that kind of obvious starting point, and you're spinning your wheels like you're the only one that is aware of it. it's like talking to siri with you. we're over here, man!

"He's still right if the fans hate it." i read this and immediately punched my cat in the face. you left me with no option.

and no, i wasn't really asking you what you "ment" by your strange uses of "right" and "wrong." the questioning was rhetorical. anyone could guess the various things you could have meant, as i did, and after which i addressed them in turn. you, being lancerstaff, couldn't be troubled to take a look. we can't even play with the refined version of your nonsense that i'm lending you because you just want to keep using vague and nebulous language of "he is right." these words have no legs. they don't give us anything. again, we could move on, but you're not letting us.

kingdom of the crystal skull.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

That assumption only works if you assume the hardware sells the software which is not the case. I don't have time but there are plenty of inconsistencies with hardware sales and software sales. Even so, you have to judge a game on an individual basis because it's a reason the hardware sold more. In other words, Brawl probably helped to push more Wiis than Melee pushed Gamecubes.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
-removed, don't censor dodge-

You still keep calling Wavedash a glitch, despite everything everyone has told you to prove otherwise. You refuse to accept something like a corner case or exploit as real despite both being actual things.

You truly are one of the bigger idiots in the world.

Wrong. If it's a hated game that means less money which definitely means it was a wrong choice. I know **** about art but if it is almost universally disliked by people then it was the wrong choice, no two ways around it.

I'll admit Brawl is worse competitively then Melee.
Why does it seem like I am the only person in the whole ****ing world t think all 3 Smash games are equally competitive. :dizzy:

But yes, there are people who complained solely about the lack of Wavedashing day one.
Prove it.

People will complain about every little change. Even if Brawl was competitive heaven, PM would exist in some form simply because the SSB fanbase is that big, and I'd wager somebody will create a project B for SSB4 simply because people usually aren't willing to let go. There WILL be people complaining that SSB4 isn't Brawl 2.
This would be awesome and hilarious at the same time. But first the Wii-U and 3DS have to get hacked first, and that doesn't look like it's gonna be anytime soon.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Sometimes i do wonder why do i keep purchasing smash when the creator can careless about my purchase since i'm about of the hardcore crowd that melee was targeted too. :( sigh

Top Bottom