• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Advance Techniques" from Melee. Sensible or Illogical?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I love Brawl. I also love Melee. I love Project M more than both combined. I will also undoubtedly love Smash 4, from the looks of it. Wavedashing and L-cancelling do not necessarily need to return. However, the game must absolutely have tech skills (more than Brawl) of some sort and more hit-stun to allow combos. Smash 4 will not bring the entirety of both communities together. Many Melee players will continue playing Melee (the same way they refuse playing PM because it's not Melee), and many will move on. All the Brawl players will move on. Smash 4 will probably have a decent competitive scene, and if the game is properly balanced, one with alot of variety.
/thread

People should stop regarding wavedashing as if it's the sole thing that defines Melee. Yes, it becomes quite prominent at high levels of play, but even if someone were to practice wavedashing for an entire year, it still wouldn't be enough to beat a "casual" who makes smart decisions and reads. Melee players don't hate Brawl because "no wavedash", at least the ones I know. They do so for various reasons which all come down to "a significantly less deep gameplay, lack of hit-stun and a generally slower pace".

smashmachine

Smash Lord
You can't say that a game is "bad" when there are people who don't think that that's the case. Every smash game is solid, some better than others, but none of them are bad by any stretch of the imagination. I have fun playing all of them.
by this logic, that ****ty Dungeon Keeper game isn't bad because some people are ok with it

Regardless, attendance is dropping, Melee players are aging, and there's a new SSB on the horizon. This could very well be Melee's last year.
attendance is dropping? lol ok
did you compare Apex 2014 to Apex 2013?

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Regardless, attendance is dropping, Melee players are aging, and there's a new SSB on the horizon. This could very well be Melee's last year.
What are you talking about? Apex 2014 was the biggest smash event EVER with attendance for melee and brawl only being slightly down from EVO most likely due to the 60 or so people in both divisions Going over to register for PM instead.

There were over 1000 people at apex for Melee brawl and PM with another 150 for smash 64, with more people registering to PM over brawl.

Melee isn't even close to dying, and the "aging" argument doesn't work when new people join the scene all the time, especially with the new creation that is PM is currently growing in popularity.

Last edited:

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I love Brawl. I also love Melee. I love Project M more than both combined. I will also undoubtedly love Smash 4, from the looks of it. Wavedashing and L-cancelling do not necessarily need to return. However, the game must absolutely have tech skills (more than Brawl) of some sort and more hit-stun to allow combos. Smash 4 will not bring the entirety of both communities together. Many Melee players will continue playing Melee (the same way they refuse playing PM because it's not Melee), and many will move on. All the Brawl players will move on. Smash 4 will probably have a decent competitive scene, and if the game is properly balanced, one with alot of variety.
/thread

People should stop regarding wavedashing as if it's the sole thing that defines Melee. Yes, it becomes quite prominent at high levels of play, but even if someone were to practice wavedashing for an entire year, it still wouldn't be enough to beat a "casual" who makes smart decisions and reads. Melee players don't hate Brawl because "no wavedash", at least the ones I know. They do so for various reasons which all come down to "a significantly less deep gameplay, lack of hit-stun and a generally slower pace".
Actually brawl has the exact same amount of hitstun as melee.

It is just that you can cancel the hitstun frame 13+ with an airdodge you can cancel the hitstun frame 25+ with an attack.
I forgot the frame for jumping out of hitstun... I just know air dodge gets you out of hitstun the fastest.

I wonder if hitstun cancelling was intended... It could of got over looked maybe because so many studios were working on brawl and it was very unorganized.

Luckily smash 4 will most likely have patches and if hitstun cancelling returns to smash 4 then I will try to cause an uproar to get the devs attention to remove it.

Casuals,intermediate and everyone of all skill levels agree that combos are fun... Everyone can do them.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Actually brawl has the exact same amount of hitstun as melee.

It is just that you can cancel the hitstun frame 13+ with an airdodge you can cancel the hitstun frame 25+ with an attack.
I forgot the frame for jumping out of hitstun... I just know air dodge gets you out of hitstun the fastest.

I wonder if hitstun cancelling was intended... It could of got over looked maybe because so many studios were working on brawl and it was very unorganized.

Luckily smash 4 will most likely have patches and if hitstun cancelling returns to smash 4 then I will try to cause an uproar to get the devs attention to remove it.

Casuals,intermediate and everyone of all skill levels agree that combos are fun... Everyone can do them.
I'm pretty sure hit-stun cancelling was not intended. At least that's what I've heard.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm not a big fan of quote soup, but for this I have to kind of take it in bits since there was not an overarching thesis.
Please, Chu, will you consider our perspective for one, tiny, small moment, to put aside your framing of the supposed issue and listen to what we think the issue is? Also, do not respond to this post unless you intend to respond and address it in full. You do not understand our intention, please do not assume it. I think many competitive people will agree with me when I say zoning, spacing, and stage control is vital in Melee, and they are required to win. Raw tech skill will only get one so far, and in my opinion it's the easy part, learning spacing and zoning and comboing and DI is incredibly important and takes critical thinking skills, please do not downplay the mechanics any further. This is what we assert and it has always been what we have asserted, and you have not ever, as far as I have seen, been able to comprehensively disprove our assertion, you simply claim it is untrue and go on with your perspective about how we all need to move on. Why? You seem to be saying as well that the next game in the series is always better than the preceding one, but better by what standard? Certainly not the competitive community's standards, and that's what you do not take into account.
To start from the bottom, the community's standards mean very little when they only make up a fraction of all Smash players. Here are the facts on why Brawl is a great game
Looking at these facts, it's impossible to argue that consumers didn't like Brawl. They clearly loved it. So who is out of wack. The 99% of all the people who bought Brawl or that 1 percent on Smashboards? So this is the first step on the realization. Everyone loved Brawl but this tiny community didn't. So who is really crazy. Most people or the small community. The logical answer would be the community.

However, one thing I notice was you said this please do not downplay the mechanics any further. I interpreted the tech skills as I saw them and the name of the game was rush. Players kind of just went in and the winner was the one with the most offense. But why should it matter? The discussion was "Why the community hasn't moved on," and my point was "That's wrong," essentially. What it seems is that you are defending the mechanics when they don't need to be defended. So I sense some emotion in your lines.

Next, all your analogies are flawed. Did you know that Blizzard/Activision disallowed many events of SC1 after SC2 came out? It's one of the reasons I know that SC1 died, and SC1's gameplay is making a comeback in the Starbow mod, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Further, and this goes for all your other examples here, the next in the series was only marginally different in terms of mechanics, and the competitive communities of each made the estimations that they lost very little in the coming generation, and indeed gained some things, that is why they did not switch. The reason why a portion of the Smash community did not like the change is not because they're special, as all communities principally act the same as all humans principally act the same, but because the margin of change from Melee to Brawl, and the things competitivity lost therein, was so vast as to cause that portion to estimate that they would rather keep the last game than move on. If a game in the SF series or the Starcraft series came out that was so radically different, I guarantee you 100% that it would tear the competitive fanbase asunder most especially if the developer's vision interfered with their vision of what a competitive game of that series should entail. You must consider what competitivity means to us, the archetypes that flow throughout the more and less competitive games of Smash, and you must do the same with the other communities. So far, this has fortunately not happened to the other communities, but it would, your analogies are confounded, sir.
Everything you said was wrong. First, the US and Europeans had no issue moving to Starcraft 2. Many were in the beta including Idra, Day9, Artosis, Incontrol and TLO. Many SC1 pros moved over as well like Boxer. Your wrong that SC1 was stopped as Flash and J Dong were still playing in Korea for at least a year after SC2 came out.

The assumption that these came were small changes shows me you know nothing about these games. Starcraft 2 allowed you to select more than 12 units in a group which changed the entire way you played. Micro was far different because you didn't micro individual units. There is also a big change as workers were far weaker. Not to mention pivotal units for each race were removed which were the Reaver, the Lurker and the Medic. MvC3 was far different than 2 as there are now LMH instead of punches and kicks. The cast was entirely changed as well meaning you're looking at a totally different game. And who can forget SF4 which removed parrying and is generally slower than SF3. If you think "parrying isn't a big deal," then you've never seen this.

Games change. All three of these games saw drastic changes with all of the removing a lot of characters (units) in the new iteration. However, despite the fact Brawl changed, the community wouldn't have it. They even went as far as to make a mod for Brawl to make it Melee. It even goes as far as changes movesets for veteran characters back to Melee and it was non discreetly named after Melee. The Smash community's behavior is not normal.

When I say that all humans act principally the same, and competitive communities are no different, I would do well to point out that you have implicitly stated that one competitive community unto another does not act similar, and in that you must say they do not have the desire to fulfill their ends through the means they employ, as 'competitive community' implies a collective goal, and the community acts towards that goal.
Funnily enough, the collective wishes of the competitive element of the community have taken manifestation in the forms of 'not Melee' only because they do not understand the archetypes that govern the differences between the games, and what makes Brawl finally and ultimately less competitive than Melee, but I guarantee you that there are many, as myself, who have reasoned through what makes Brawl exactly less so, please do not attempt to make our arguments for us and then proceed to summarily dismiss them saying we are hard-headed and worship Melee, I most certainly do not worship Melee, and I hope you would trust me when I say that, as I believe my estimation of my own intentions are greater than yours.
The argument I'm making is based on observation. As I mentioned above, the community has a loathing hate for Brawl despite the general populous not feeling that way. The other competitive communities play the new game despite massive changes that make the games fundamentally different. The Smash community does not embrace the new game and even goes as far as to mod it back to the last game. And, as I mentioned before, the community has already considered that the next game looks "too much like Brawl." There is also the fact there are topics that says these mechanics should return. Notice how SF players don't say parrying should return or SC players that control groups should go back to 12. So after looking at all of this, what conclusion would one draw. It would be that the community are zealous towards Melee and that their behavior is not normal. The reason I can see this is because I'm the out group. I don't have any emotional investment while the community does have an emotional investment in the game. I noticed you had this when you tell me not to down play the mechanics and spend the better part of a post on that despite that was not relevant to what you were quoting. So my judgement is not clouded and I can see the facts. And the facts are as I just presented them.

It is concluded in saying that this is not an issue of the community not wanting to move on, it is the issue of SmashChu not wanting to accept that the community, or part of the community that has created its own collective goal, has an end in mind that is both different, as well as their perception of the means to best achieve those ends, than his. Why he cannot accept this is beyond me, and I am not willing to assume his intentions, as he is ostensibly not part of said collective. That is my perspective, sir.
There are a lot of issues with the community shunning anything that isn't Melee. But I'll talk about that in another post.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What are you talking about? Apex 2014 was the biggest smash event EVER with attendance for melee and brawl only being slightly down from EVO most likely due to the 60 or so people in both divisions Going over to register for PM instead.

There were over 1000 people at apex for Melee brawl and PM with another 150 for smash 64, with more people registering to PM over brawl.

Melee isn't even close to dying, and the "aging" argument doesn't work when new people join the scene all the time, especially with the new creation that is PM is currently growing in popularity.
That's just what I've been hearing. But what about events other than APEX? We had EVO the one year, and I haven't heard about any other events. What are the numbers compared to Melee's peak?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
That's just what I've been hearing. But what about events other than APEX? We had EVO the one year, and I haven't heard about any other events. What are the numbers compared to Melee's peak?
This IS melee's peak, attendance for Evo and apex were the biggest numbers for melee attendance anywhere ever. EVO is currently being negotiated with Nintendo for 2014, and there are many other tournaments, such as S@X weekly, So Cal regionals, and many others. Melee isn't even close to dying. It's closer to reaching a crescendo once again.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This IS melee's peak, attendance for Evo and apex were the biggest numbers for melee attendance anywhere ever. EVO is currently being negotiated with Nintendo for 2014, and there are many other tournaments, such as S@X weekly, So Cal regionals, and many others. Melee isn't even close to dying, it's closer to reaching a crescendo once again.
Alright. I'm kinda out of the loop with this stuff. Another site is convinced that the Melee tournaments are already dying off again.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I would hardly consider Melee to be dying. Seems like the Smash community as a whole has been growing significantly as of late, not to mention with the huge success that is PM. The numbers will only grow from this point with Smash 4 on the horizon.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'm not a big fan of quote soup, but for this I have to kind of take it in bits since there was not an overarching thesis.

To start from the bottom, the community's standards mean very little when they only make up a fraction of all Smash players. Here are the facts on why Brawl is a great game
Looking at these facts, it's impossible to argue that consumers didn't like Brawl. They clearly loved it. So who is out of wack. The 99% of all the people who bought Brawl or that 1 percent on Smashboards? So this is the first step on the realization. Everyone loved Brawl but this tiny community didn't. So who is really crazy. Most people or the small community. The logical answer would be the community.

However, one thing I notice was you said this please do not downplay the mechanics any further. I interpreted the tech skills as I saw them and the name of the game was rush. Players kind of just went in and the winner was the one with the most offense. But why should it matter? The discussion was "Why the community hasn't moved on," and my point was "That's wrong," essentially. What it seems is that you are defending the mechanics when they don't need to be defended. So I sense some emotion in your lines.
Neither am I a fan, but. . .

Metrics alone cannot tell us anything without some fundamental understanding as to how to interpret them. You must start with a claim or principle, and here you seem to be saying that more sold copies equates to a better game. You make a causational error, there is no rational causal link between these things and the quality of a game. Yes, quality and sales sometimes correlate, but that is no valid intellectual position. The analysis of the quality of a game must be determined on establishing correct and specific criteria that must stand to rational scrutiny as to why it is objectively better, not on the preferences of the time. If this cannot be done, then it cannot be proven to be better or worse in any way; I cannot abide by any positivist postulation or relativist revelation that supposes the will of the majority, or that might, makes right, nor will I regard utilitarian theories of the "greatest good" as valid. Right is an immovable lodestar, not a slave at the whim of wordplay, it cannot be broken, only broken against.

I was attempting to shift the discussion away from "Why the community hasn't moved on?" to demonstrate why that is an asinine question, and I believe I have succeeded. The stances of a competitive community are developed around criteria, and the competitive community at large choosing differently from the rest of the community is a morally neutral act. To call their will into question is to suppose that their criteria and preference is evil, but since by the current analysis it is morally neutral, then it can be reasonably assumed to be true until proven otherwise.

As for the mechanics, it can be demonstrated that DI (both survival and combo DI) was more prevalent and required more analysis and knowledge of character traits in Melee than in Brawl. Further, spacing and zoning is universally rewarded, moreso in Melee not only because there are more significant instances of the neutral game at any given moment due the relative speed and risk factor of the whole game, but also because even when employing hitstun to combo it was still important to develop the strategies necessary to trail the opponent and their DI/tech and hit them as efficiently as possible in the following frames. Eventually this becomes more and more habitual and is sped up more and more by the users. By this analysis, as I'm sure many professional players can attest to, it is far from a game of rushdown, and indeed Melee has an extremely high skill ceiling, moreso than Brawl.
So, it would make sense that I would seem emotional from your perspective, but, as I said, I know myself to be honest and I have confidence in my analysis of my own mood. I advise you to trust me when I say this. Just a suggestion, I know you have every right to deny my intuition.
Everything you said was wrong. First, the US and Europeans had no issue moving to Starcraft 2. Many were in the beta including Idra, Day9, Artosis, Incontrol and TLO. Many SC1 pros moved over as well like Boxer. Your wrong that SC1 was stopped as Flash and J Dong were still playing in Korea for at least a year after SC2 came out.

The assumption that these came were small changes shows me you know nothing about these games. Starcraft 2 allowed you to select more than 12 units in a group which changed the entire way you played. Micro was far different because you didn't micro individual units. There is also a big change as workers were far weaker. Not to mention pivotal units for each race were removed which were the Reaver, the Lurker and the Medic. MvC3 was far different than 2 as there are now LMH instead of punches and kicks. The cast was entirely changed as well meaning you're looking at a totally different game. And who can forget SF4 which removed parrying and is generally slower than SF3. If you think "parrying isn't a big deal," then you've never seen this.

Games change. All three of these games saw drastic changes with all of the removing a lot of characters (units) in the new iteration. However, despite the fact Brawl changed, the community wouldn't have it. They even went as far as to make a mod for Brawl to make it Melee. It even goes as far as changes movesets for veteran characters back to Melee and it was non discreetly named after Melee. The Smash community's behavior is not normal.
I was wrong about Starcraft. I took some anecdote that my friend told to me as truth without researching for myself to see that Blizzard did not ordered cease and desists on Brood War streams when SC2 came out. However, that does nothing to the rest of the claims made, a sequel does not necessitate a better game, and since the goals of competitive communities are indistinguishable, we should either suppose that the competitive Smash community is disordered, or that Brawl has fallen outside of the acceptable range of change the competitive community would accept as a competitive Smash game. I suppose the latter.

The split is manufactured of the non-competitive community which asserts they are part of the competitive community, and at this point 'non-competitive' becomes a simple label for those who regarded Brawl as the superior option, and their labeling is based on the criteria set by the default group. They are therefore different because they are different, and can be distinguished as such. I will not put forward the qualities that distinguish them and their judgments, as they are readily apparent, and I do not wish this post to be about Brawl vs Melee, I intend this post to be a refutation of what you have put forth as an explanation for the Smash community being disordered.

Since I have supposed the latter, I must insist of the truth that if a game came out that was radically different from the standards and qualities of the previous game of a series, the community would be split asunder as it is observed with the Smash community, as it has not then we must regard the changes in sequel titles as insufficient difference to be at odds with the standards of the competitive game communities built around said series. Brawl's differences have hence been determined a priori to be sufficiently far from the previous collective standard of the community, and this immutable fact cannot be changed by any measure of experience. This is based on the principle that the competitive community's ends were to have fun in a competitive game, Brawl evidently did not fulfill the criteria required to satiate their desire, whereas even in the absence of parrying the rest of the game fit their standards.

And yes, I have seen the Daigo EVO moment full parry, if that's what the link is to? I'm just assuming having not clicked it, let this be a test for my limited knowledge. I have also borne witness to Boxer's masterful SCV rush long ago as well, 'Twas epic! Heck, I even remember when the SCV/workers were nerfed in the SC2 beta, I was there.
The argument I'm making is based on observation. As I mentioned above, the community has a loathing hate for Brawl despite the general populous not feeling that way. The other competitive communities play the new game despite massive changes that make the games fundamentally different. The Smash community does not embrace the new game and even goes as far as to mod it back to the last game. And, as I mentioned before, the community has already considered that the next game looks "too much like Brawl." There is also the fact there are topics that says these mechanics should return. Notice how SF players don't say parrying should return or SC players that control groups should go back to 12. So after looking at all of this, what conclusion would one draw. It would be that the community are zealous towards Melee and that their behavior is not normal. The reason I can see this is because I'm the out group. I don't have any emotional investment while the community does have an emotional investment in the game. I noticed you had this when you tell me not to down play the mechanics and spend the better part of a post on that despite that was not relevant to what you were quoting. So my judgement is not clouded and I can see the facts. And the facts are as I just presented them.

There are a lot of issues with the community shunning anything that isn't Melee. But I'll talk about that in another post.
I actually didn't realize this until reading this portion of the quote, but I already addressed the argument from observation. . . I think. . . But I would also hope you to trust me when I say I do not have a loathing hate for Brawl, I simply view it as insufficient given the criteria of the 'competitive' populous, and sufficient given the criteria of the rest of the community, surely you too can see that. I try to make myself less emotionally involved so to not make hasty generalizations, whether I succeed at that is not something I'm willing to try and judge. As of now I really don't feel anything but blankness as I attempt to think through this. But no observer is special, reason is readily accessible to most. I hope you would trust me when I say that I do not do that for appearances, but I think that I, and others, truly benefit by believing these things. I plead you give me the benefit of the doubt as to my character and intentions. You must also note that when people say "too much like Brawl", they are making a value judgement based on comparison, and while the value is subjective to each individual's ends (here as too much), the analytic portion is measurement of the fact (things can be proven to be more like Brawl and its mechanics, or less like Brawl and its mechanics), why deride them for their judgments on such trivial matters as game preference? Since it was shown that communities have collective ends, it is silly to suppose that their estimation as to what qualities are best to achieve these ends is wrong and evil. Who knows best for them?

Last edited:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
system seller on a console with 5x the sales comes up with roughly 1.5x the sales of its predecessor?
I'M SHOCKED /s

I especially love the sales argument because it will inevitably blow up in your face, courtesy of the Wii U failing

Last edited:
@ SmashChu SmashChu

Dude what are you Sakurai's accountant? Sales figures have nothing to do with what we're talking about. We aren't arguing whether or not Brawl was a good game, we're talking about tech skill in smash, which without a shadow of a doubt, Brawl has little to none of excluding some buffering inputs or. And even if it were the case , sales figures don't dictate whether the game is good or not; just whether or not it was profitable. Just because a game sells a lot of copies doesn't mean it's a good game, it just happened to be entertaining enough at face value to warrant a successful purchase .

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Things like wavedashing and L cancelling are just too complicated to me, therefore I don't like em. It is simple.

It is funny because I play games like Marvel vs Capcom just fine.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Things like wavedashing and L cancelling are just too complicated to me, therefore I don't like em. It is simple.

I really don't have much of a disliking for mechanics and their inputs as long as they make sense. Wavedashing's input does not make sense to me and L-Cancelling from a strategic standpoint does not make sense to me. I guess we can include Melee's Crouch Canceling too.

But, hey, you DO keep it simple. I really wish people would stop writing walls of text for things that can be said in three to six sentences.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Got cramps after practicing Falco's waveshining for one hour last night.

@ Reila Reila , that's actually pretty weird. When I watch MvC matches, I usually get discouraged by the sheer number of inputs and the length of the combos. Though at this point, MvC might be the only other fighting game I'd be willing to try (I haven't seen much of the 2D anime fighters, so I can't say anything about those). The rest just don't appeal to me the same way Smash does.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Marvel will make you rage. And Marvel is pretty much an air dash fighter, but the fans won't admit it.

Combos are tough at first, but that's the case everywhere. Just practice them.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I guess we can include Melee's Crouch Canceling too.
I could really care less about WD and L-cancel coming back.

But Melee's Crouch Cancel should really come back. Being able to CC a dash was absolutely great and allowed for more things to be done out of a dash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I could really care less about WD and L-cancel coming back.

But Melee's Crouch Cancel should really come back. Being able to CC a dash was absolutely great and allowed for more things to be done out of a dash.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it as a Tekken player. I just don't want reduced hitstun or knockback while in that.

Though you have to be aware that having plenty of options CAN be a bad thing.

Reila

Got cramps after practicing Falco's waveshining for one hour last night.

@ Reila Reila , that's actually pretty weird. When I watch MvC matches, I usually get discouraged by the sheer number of inputs and the length of the combos. Though at this point, MvC might be the only other fighting game I'd be willing to try (I haven't seen much of the 2D anime fighters, so I can't say anything about those). The rest just don't appeal to me the same way Smash does.
I can understand that, but when you pick the game to play, the combos are actually far simpler to imput than they seem to be. If you never played the series, watching high level matches (like the matches on EVO) will certainly make will feel discouraged. But as I said, comboing in MvsC is pretty simple. It is the only fighting game series I enjoy playing besides Smash, perhaps because I love the fanservice present in both series (and the music is great in both too!).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it as a Tekken player. I just don't want reduced hitstun or knockback while in that.

Though you have to be aware that having plenty of options CAN be a bad thing.
I can understand the issue of it reducing hitstun or knockback, but CCing a dash was great.

Options are a tricky thing and it depends on the options. But I believe that during a battle it is good to have a lot of options, it mostly outside of matches were to many options become really bad.

smashmachine

Smash Lord

at least you're honest, unlike some people here

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Crouch-cancelling is pretty amazing. I understand why people would be opposed to L-cancelling and such, but why CCing? It makes perfect sense from both an input and tactical point of view. It's quite easy to pick up and use effectively in battle, so it shouldn't be an issue of the same caliber of wavedashing for many. Plus, it's not like L-cancelling, as in not doing it sometimes is the better option.

Just watch out for Peach.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Crouch-cancelling is pretty amazing. I understand why people would be opposed to L-cancelling and such, but why CCing? It makes perfect sense from both an input and tactical point of view. It's quite easy to pick up and use effectively in battle, so it shouldn't be an issue of the same caliber of wavedashing for many. Plus, it's not like L-cancelling, as in not doing it sometimes is the better option.

Just watch out for Peach.
While I, personally, agree. Some people don't like how it reduces hitstun and knockback and like WD it just doesn't make sense to them (although I'd say it is more understandable for CC then for WD, but I'm sure I could come up with a way for it to make sense).

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
While I, personally, agree. Some people don't like how it reduces hitstun and knockback and like WD it just doesn't make sense to them (although I'd say it is more understandable for CC then for WD, but I'm sure I could come up with a way for it to make sense).
I see. Either way, I do hope that crouch-cancelling of some form returns in Smash 4. Surely it won't be detrimental to anyone's enjoyment of the game? At this point, it feels like people might start complaining about rolling and how it doesn't make "sense". As far as I'm concerned, none of the mechanics in Smash or any other fighting game for that matter make sense from a real life perspective. Shielding, double-jumping, vertical recoveries, none of it make sense on most characters. Seems like some people start disliking mechanics as soon as they require more than one input to perform...

Renji64

Smash Lord
I wish people stop trying to use the sales agurement. Smash 4 and the WiiU needs every sale it can get. Sakurai said in interviews both who melee and brawl appealed too. I just want combos and less lag on aerial attacks and non foalty gameplay If smash 4 rewards offensive play and is fun to watch as well i think it will be awesome. I play every smash expect brawl it wasn't made for me i'm not a beginner. I hope it is easy to pick up and hard to master the way melee is.

Last edited:
I think wave dashing and wavelanding are brilliant for smash because it emphasizes on the platforming mechanics of smash and your ability to use them properly in a fight, but simultaneously creates it's own spin on traditional fighting mechanics like cross ups and tri-jumps ( which a Shffl basically is). Even platform canceling in Brawl allowed this. As long as we get some dope movement mechanic in smash. 4 I'll be happy.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think wave dashing and wavelanding are brilliant for smash because it emphasizes on the platforming mechanics of smash and your ability to use them properly in a fight, but simultaneously creates it's own spin on traditional fighting mechanics like cross ups and tri-jumps ( which a Shffl basically is). Even platform canceling in Brawl allowed this. As long as we get some dope movement mechanic in smash. 4 I'll be happy.
Sakurai is against that kind of thing and is very interested in patches for SSB4.

Reila

I hope it is easy to pick up and hard to master the way melee is.
I hope it is easier to pick up and moderately difficult to master. Ain't nobody got time to master pointlessly hard games.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I really don't have much of a disliking for mechanics and their inputs as long as they make sense. Wavedashing's input does not make sense to me and L-Cancelling from a strategic standpoint does not make sense to me. I guess we can include Melee's Crouch Canceling too.

But, hey, you DO keep it simple. I really wish people would stop writing walls of text for things that can be said in three to six sentences.
For wavedash (a movement tech) one can say that something that is done with the control stick works, and that's ok. but with L-cancelling... Is there ANY input that would make sense for L-canceling? I think it's just a matter of convenience, since L and R... are shoulder buttons. It's easier effectively do L-cancels under that setup.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For wavedash (a movement tech) one can say that something that is done with the control stick works, and that's ok. but with L-cancelling... Is there ANY input that would make sense for L-canceling? I think it's just a matter of convenience, since L and R... are shoulder buttons. It's easier effectively do L-cancels under that setup.
Yes. No input. Just reduce the damn recovery on landing aerials. There was never a need for L-Canceling.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One thing is from Brawl's development while the other is from Smash 4's development. There's at least five years inbetween those two philosophies.

The problem with Brawl was that the issues present in Melee weren't really addressed, but it appears series wide issues are finally being addressed. Who knows, the game might have changed so greatly that wavedashing isn't necessary or we get a spiritual successor to it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
One thing is from Brawl's development while the other is from Smash 4's development. There's at least five years inbetween those two philosophies.

The problem with Brawl was that the issues present in Melee weren't really addressed, but it appears series wide issues are finally being addressed. Who knows, the game might have changed so greatly that wavedashing isn't necessary or we get a spiritual successor to it.
He's mentioned the skill gap thing during KIU and SSB4 production too. Since there's a focus on balancing this time around, it's easy to assume the gameplay engine was reasonably complete by E3. Wouldn't he show it off if he added something like that in? And if it's unintentional, he'll probably patch it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Except they have kept the vast majority of the gameplay details under wraps for whatever reason. All we know are the ledge grab changes, and that in the E3 build of Smash 4, air dodges were infinite like Brawl. Sakurai said though that was subject to change though.

Top Bottom