• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If there's one complaint i have is that there's a lot more attack moves that're the same to villager's (or very similar) than I thought.

Other than that, Im actually delighted about her. :)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Something I don't think has been brought up yet: another one of Isabelle's colors has been shown (green/brown winter outfit):

1541120097456.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
>that fishing rod grab from on the ledge
Damn, that thing is broken. :p
>Daisy's "Hiiiii!" entrance
So precious.
The fishing rod is pretty good, but it doesn't work on shields, so it's kind of more risky to use than I thought. Has to be used wisely.

PF9

Smash Lord
What would you think of an Animal Crossing animated series from DHX and CBS TV Studios on CBS All Access? It would be a good way for the latter to get into family programming.

Plus Animal Crossing is badly underrepresented in terms of media adaptations.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
Isabelle looks like she'll be pretty good, actually. She has a fast kill move in Dair, a great neutral tool in her slingshots, dangerous ledge trapping with side and down b, recovery mixups... might have to try this character.

Last edited:

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
Is it just me, or does her jab turns the opponent around kind of like Mario’s cape?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is it just me, or does her jab turns the opponent around kind of like Mario’s cape?
I dont think so.. Tho I saw it shielded most of the time, but it didn't turn them around there. It is a bit weird each time I saw it I dont quite get what kind of jab it is. It might work a bit like villager's ..it seemed a bit more like Pikachu's? But i need to see more footage :/

I need to see more isabelle in general :p

Last edited:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Does anyone have a picture or video of all Isabelle's alternate costumes?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Guys (n gals), there's a really good video of isabelle gameplay, from spain, I added it to the gameplay video thread.
In it you can see the gyroid mine can be destroyed, and a lot of good stuff.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm not enthusiastic about that weak jab going on there. I think I would've preferred a copy of Villagers using the pom poms instead. Having the slingshot with the Gyroid mine and the fishing rod is a deadly combination though. It's gonna piss off sooo many people, I love it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is it wrong of me to think that villager is going to be the better of the two AC characters?
I think they're going to be good in different ways. Isabelle is a bit faster which is great for a ranged character but she doesn't have as good of mixups like villager does with his gyroid. She has a bit of a better recovery due to her fishing pole though. It's hard to tell if one is better than the other, but I do prefer isabelle including for my playstyle, so even if somehow she ends up not as good I'm going to use her :)
I really doubt she'd ever be bad tho.

I'm not enthusiastic about that weak jab going on there. I think I would've preferred a copy of Villagers using the pom poms instead. Having the slingshot with the Gyroid mine and the fishing rod is a deadly combination though. It's gonna piss off sooo many people, I love it.
Her jab may not be as good as a combo, but it depends if it can be followed up with other things, because it's pretty quick, and could be a good poking tool. It doesnt seem to have much range tho.

Last edited:

Isababby

Smash Rookie
The channel "No Contest" is uploading videos of Ultimate gameplay with no commentary. They just uploaded an Isabelle ditto about an hour ago.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The channel "No Contest" is uploading videos of Ultimate gameplay with no commentary. They just uploaded an Isabelle ditto about an hour ago.

Yeah there's actually quite a bit of gameplay out there now. I think this one is decently good.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Your daily dose of Isabelle from the latest commercial:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
how does everyone here see the Simon/Richter match-up turning out? i ask because the belmont's keep out the opponents at a distance with the range on the whip(plus stuff like holy water and holy cross)and the most common solution is to rush them down and get in that zone where they are complete crap

however seeing as Isabelle's a trap character she isn't gonna be running straight for simon/richter which makes me wonder how she's gonna deal with a character who plans to keep her at a distance and won't just run over the mines she sets

the belmonts can also negate projectiles so throwing something at him might not work out too well.....I'd hate to see Isabelle dumped on if the belmonts happen to be super popular top tier characters

though this could easily go in doggo girl's favor but i just had to ask what the match up outlook for her against the belmonts could be seeing as the game's not out yet and we haven't really seen Simon/richter go at it against isabelle 1 on 1

I've heard comments on other sites and on discord that this match up should be in favor of isabelle but can that really be confirmed at this point?

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Well the Belmonts have long disjoints with their whip. Namely ftilt, fsmash, bair and fair and while I'm not 100% sure on bair, I know fair can be angled up, down or straight. Isabelle on the other hand, largely lacks disjoints with her most horizontally ranged moves being fair, bair and the fishing rod. The first 2 are projectiles that can easily be beat by a whip attack if it's timed well, shielding or by a projectile and possibly even the fire from the holy water. Fishing rod loses to shield and could possibly be punished by ftilt or fsmash. The Gyroid mine probably wouldn't help much either since the Belmonts can attack from behind it with their whip or simply detonate it with holy water or the axe. There is pocket for taking one of the projectiles which could help. Not sure how fast Isabelle is but given that she's based on Villager, I'm gonna guess not that fast. The Belmonts also have a burst option with their dtilt which also puts them above the ground for a moment with the second hit which could go over the Gyroid mine.

I think the positives for Isabelle in the mu come to shine with edgeguarding. The Belmonts have poor air speed and their up special doesn't go too far. Isabelle can attack from afar with fair or bair offstage, dair from above or dash attack or fishing rod from onstage. Mew2king has a video about the Belmonts where he mentions that the whip attacks can tether to the stage but he says the tether comes out 1 frame before the hitbox so even if the Belmonts go to tether the ledge, Isabelle can attack without any fear of her slingshots getting beaten out. I'm not sure how long the fishing rod can be kept out for but having that dangled offstage and reeling it in as the Belmonts (or nearly any character honestly) try to recover seems like a good way to keep the advantage state going. The Gyroid mine is also more useful during ledge pressure situations since it can be placed to cover ledge rolls or neutral getup/attack.

I'm personally somewhat worried that the mu will swing to the Belmonts favour, if only slightly. Sure their recovery is poor but then so is Cloud's and he has positives mus vs most of the cast in Sm4sh. Of course, the game isn't out yet so it's hard to say and I haven't had the good fortune of playing one of the demos yet so someone who has could perhaps give more insight.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
how does everyone here see the Simon/Richter match-up turning out? i ask because the belmont's keep out the opponents at a distance with the range on the whip(plus stuff like holy water and holy cross)and the most common solution is to rush them down and get in that zone where they are complete crap

however seeing as Isabelle's a trap character she isn't gonna be running straight for simon/richter which makes me wonder how she's gonna deal with a character who plans to keep her at a distance and won't just run over the mines she sets

the belmonts can also negate projectiles so throwing something at him might not work out too well.....I'd hate to see Isabelle dumped on if the belmonts happen to be super popular top tier characters

though this could easily go in doggo girl's favor but i just had to ask what the match up outlook for her against the belmonts could be seeing as the game's not out yet and we haven't really seen Simon/richter go at it against isabelle 1 on 1

I've heard comments on other sites and on discord that this match up should be in favor of isabelle but can that really be confirmed at this point?
I dont see it being too much of a problem considering that isabelle has more mobility and has a faster projectile, and can pocket the belmonts'.
Remains to be seen, I guess. They're pretty good characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
why is this sub-forum so inactive? i saw this same thing happening with the inkling players
The following for isabelle on smashboards wasnt as big as some other characters. But it doesnt seem that big on many other characters either.
Maybe it'll be more once the game's released. Right now people more focused on the general speculation, maybe. just my guesses.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
maybe...it's just a little weird when you see K.Rool And Ridley Getting the attention while everyone else just waits their turn

Teeb147

Smash Legend
maybe...it's just a little weird when you see K.Rool And Ridley Getting the attention while everyone else just waits their turn
K.Rool and Ridley had some of the biggest followings, so the hype train kind of continued from their support pages. Isabelle's wasnt that big, so it's a bit more like the other character pgaes. Tho I did expect a bit more activity too, really. She's great :)

But it's ok too if people are quietly savoring :p

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I confess... while I supported Isabelle she didn't produce much hype from me. I was like "okay, I guess that's cool but expected her to be an echo. I'm not mad though since she is very fitting" Now, I've slowly started to warm up to her. I enjoy the differences between her and Villager so much so that I think I may try to pick her up when the game's out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I confess... while I supported Isabelle she didn't produce much hype from me. I was like "okay, I guess that's cool but expected her to be an echo. I'm not mad though since she is very fitting" Now, I've slowly started to warm up to her. I enjoy the differences between her and Villager so much so that I think I may try to pick her up when the game's out.
I kind of feel the same, cuz though I wanted her in, it was more as something neat, like echos arent as hype, obviously. It's a bit more than that since she's semi-clone, but it's still an odd moveset, like villager. But I really like her more than I thought I would, but I'm just happy about it, but i get that there's less hype around.

That said, she's still pretty hype, or at least deserves some, imo :)
After seeing all the gameplay I have, I'm maybe more excited about some other characters, but Isabelle is still up there :)

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
isabelle alts.PNG

Here are the alts in all their glory.
Despite the fact we can clearly see they slightly changed her fur colour in a few alts here the darker shade isn't on Digby's outfit, even though they'd work better together to reference Digby.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
A picture of Smash ultimate final build footage showing the names of K. Rool's specials has appeared on the K. Rool boards. I'm interested in seeing the other new comers specials names. Here's hoping we see Isabelle's official special names soon (Save for pocket oc.).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here you go. The names are unfortunately nothing special.

View attachment 180207
Darn, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping her moves would have some more interesting names. Ah well, at least they're apt if nothing else.
I wasn't expecting anything fancy.

That said, I love this feature, since not everyone will have a game guide to check up on character moveset names and descriptions.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Top Bottom