• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion
hey kira

can you give me a ride to / from stab's from uci?

Zhu is apparently leaving early from the tournament. If anything i can probably get a ride from zhu to get there but would need a ride back.

edit: just saw your post in the other thread.... whoops... lol
Yeah, actually combofest is doing the same thing, so Zhu/MacD could probably take you guys there and I'll take you guys back. Unless McCain wants to do it lol

wow. ok anthony ill be there from 3-630ish...

aaaaand wouldnt the best oversimplification be "make them lose 4-stocks before you do" ? but i guess that doesnt help in gameplay haha :D

also, going back to what characters are "supposed" to do (again, im oversimplifying) is a fox supposed to apply pressure to a falco? cause i always saw camping as a nonviable option since falco can just laser own you (unless you go from platform to platform but that only works so much imo)

im really bad at that matchup -.-
Falco is weak to attacks above his head (slightly in front of him too.. uptilt is too good). So try using more fullhop nairs past him or bairs, or do an aerial on the platform he's under to an immediate fall-through nair. Also if you know he's gonna laser go hit him before it comes out. Also fullhop above and slightly in front of him when he's on the ledge cause they like to come up with lasers a lot and even if they dont they can only upair to hit you.

Also learn to shine out of shield. You'll never be shield pressured again =) Do it immediately after the Falco's shine (try to make it sound like a doubleshine)

then when you hit him, tech chase to upthrow and he'll die really fast. Also his up B sucks so go shine him out of it before it flies off

And when you get combo'd, smash DI as hard as possible over and over again to get out, both shines and hits

MacD

Banned via Administration
i'm not going to the tourney, don't ask me stuff

to clear up misconceptions some ppl probably have

wiggling does nothing to get you "out of hitstun"

your hitstun will be the same no matter what you do, all wiggling does it break you out of tumble as soon as possible. you don't even have to wiggle, all you need to do is right before you get out of hitstun, tab back and forth. the only reason people wiggle fast is so they have a better chance of getting out of tumble on the 1st possible frame.
oops, thanks for clearing that up, that's what i meant to say

i hate it when all the things make since in my head but i put the words down wrong

me and zhu actually tested it a while back using my dtilt, good times lol

McCain, you can float backwards no? Auto-cancel bairs hit early, you could jump out, float back, go on the platform, and wavedash forward (then shieldgrab the 2nd bair, nair oos the 2nd bair, or jab dsmash without shielding)
idk, i just suck at it, the bairs scare me, i think i got around it once, but i picture myself on FD or on like dreamland where i can't just run to a platform... idk, i'm sure i'm just exaggerating and i actually can get around it

Signia

Smash Lord
(Kira)
So when the match starts don't do this:
- dashdance camp, waiting for them to attack then grabbing
- constantly wavedash back expecting (predicting) their attack
- throw out short hop fairs (marth/sheik) hoping that they run into them,
(Rei)
i use the control stick

c-stick is for smash di as you're getting hit of course
The control stick can be used for smash DI, in fact I'm pretty sure the only DI related thing the C-stick does is ASDI, which the control stick also does. The only time you should ever use the C-stick is when you want to ASDI one direction and normal DI in a different direction, done by double stick DI (C-stick directs the ASDI, normal stick directs normal DI; otherwise the normal stick does both).

Lovage beat me to this but yeah, wiggling does not affect hitstun, it only causes you to exit the tumble animation on the first-ish possible frame. Smashing back once after the hitstun ends is enough, though. Wiggling simulates mashing "smash" inputs, so it'll help you exit the tumble as early as possible if you don't know the hitstun length. So the whole purpose is not to end hitstun, it's to exit the tumble which allows you to airdodge (or Zair). I just clarify this because I hate it when players who are better than me do pointless annoying things with their controller that don't do anything.

----------

Anyone up for smash tomorrow (Thursday)? My house is open.

Also, I can bring a setup to JDM's on friday. Grats on the TE stick, Anthony, I really want one of those.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Yeah, actually combofest is doing the same thing, so Zhu/MacD could probably take you guys there and I'll take you guys back. Unless McCain wants to do it lol
Is there enough space in the car back? :)

Also yes, I am not 100% sure what the final plan is as to how rides are to get there lol

D

Deleted member

the best anti n00b dash dance camp is to run and throw out a short hop knee without fast falling and it will barely clip them

Kira-

Smash Champion
Don't worry, I just figured this out yesterday and I've been playing like 6x as long as you probably. Use dtilt to approach. The thing I don't like about doing those things is that it is only a "noob killer" strategy. Anyone at a higher level will get around those things pretty easily and they become only as useful as any other move. I see a lot of players doing fair (not hitting anything), then dash dancing back thinking it's safe, when all I ever do against marth/falcon is catch dashdances away. It becomes a free hit

the best anti n00b dash dance camp is to run and throw out a short hop knee without fast falling and it will barely clip them
Why not just aim a nair behind them? Isn't that better than weak knee? Iono that's what I do against noobs

With sheik, i run past them and boost grab or dash attack
with fox i run past them and shine > grab, or just nair behind them
with marth i run past and dtilt or dash attack
you see a trend here, not hard to beat dashdance camping

falco has lasers he doesnt need to worry about that

latter half not meant towards S2J, just people in general

D

Deleted member

Because people expect the n-air and will either respace accordingly or not challenge you at all but 95% of people both bad and good think you are going to fast fall the short hop knee and pop back too early from the dash dance to get hit when they try to punish. They probably won't duck it either since they don't expect the weak knee to hit while n-air is very duckable

You'll notice this ESPECIALLY IN falcon dittos and also vs foxes.

It's one of my tricks that I use rarely and it works a lot.

its great at like mid-high percents because it will put them in a tech chase situation.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
also, going back to what characters are "supposed" to do (again, im oversimplifying) is a fox supposed to apply pressure to a falco? cause i always saw camping as a nonviable option since falco can just laser own you (unless you go from platform to platform but that only works so much imo)

im really bad at that matchup -.-
grab him and **** him up haha.the fox/falco matchup is great!the two can absolutely **** each other til death from something as simple as a shine or a grab (or both for fox).sorry,i dont have solid advice against falco as fox though haha

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
you can also full hop nair as fox against falco

that's all i know other than the grab and **** him up and shine stuff.

Kira-

Smash Champion
yeah it kinda is unless you know they're gonna laser

also why does the thread title sound so familiar

also i think everyone has a noob mindset

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
id like you to define noob mindset so we can discuss it.

but re: earlier..

yeah dave you said hit 100% of the time, but we all knew what you meant. and something else you and mccain were talking about. im glad we cleared up the semantics. btw rolling through **** is so hot, or wdoos (a personal fave)

@ Incro, don't worry too much about how Fox is 'supposed' to verse falco. the best way to figure out a matchup is to think about what you want to do (approach, camp platforms, camp the ledge, laser camp) and weigh the risks and potential gains. How safe is this? What would be best punish for him to do, and how easy is it for him to do that? If all you can think of is "I can't do anything", think of ways to get out. When you do actually go into a match (learn matchups in friendlies, dont save it for tourney) practice getting out, and you will see your opponent leaving himself vulnerable. Every time your opponent does anything, there is always a chance to punish.

It helps to discover how you enjoy playing, and then you can look deeper into the playstyle you fit into for more answers.

Example of thinking for yourself:
My DI is bad. (see me vs jason rofl) I always get grab -> u throw by fox, and upairs are ****ing gay. Traditionally, one would DI the throw and only eat two aerials. But I'm bad at DI and I decided that just using SDI to escape the second hit of an upair is more efficient. So I got good at it. So even though its weird, I can do it a lot. And IMO its the better option.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
yeah i'd like to know what a noob mindset is so i can possibly break bad habits fasterrrr.whats it all about dave?

JDM

Smash Champion
also why does the thread title sound so familiar
Google is your friend.

1: JDM
2: Charles
3: Incronaut
4: GSub
5: ComboFest
6: Kangix
7: Stab
8: Signia
9: AntoPark
10: Hyprid
11: Jason
12:

Let me know if I forgot you.

Kira-

Smash Champion
id like you to define noob mindset so we can discuss it.
Well earlier Adam and Oscar were saying how GSUB has a "noob mindset", because they thought he was trying to boast about his achievements and he was making more of his wins than they thought he should, but everybody I know has this mindset at one point or another, everyone from M2K to HugS to myself has had quite a few instances where we would normally be guilty of this mindset but people give us the benefit of the doubt so it goes unnoticed. Plus Cameron wasn't even doing that in the first place, they're just giving him a hard time.

yeah dave you said hit 100% of the time, but we all knew what you meant.
koo

@ Incro, don't worry too much about how Fox is 'supposed' to verse falco. the best way to figure out a matchup is to think about what you want to do (approach, camp platforms, camp the ledge, laser camp) and weigh the risks and potential gains. How safe is this? What would be best punish for him to do, and how easy is it for him to do that? If all you can think of is "I can't do anything", think of ways to get out. When you do actually go into a match (learn matchups in friendlies, dont save it for tourney) practice getting out, and you will see your opponent leaving himself vulnerable. Every time your opponent does anything, there is always a chance to punish.

It helps to discover how you enjoy playing, and then you can look deeper into the playstyle you fit into for more answers.

Example of thinking for yourself:
My DI is bad. (see me vs jason rofl) I always get grab -> u throw by fox, and upairs are ****ing gay. Traditionally, one would DI the throw and only eat two aerials. But I'm bad at DI and I decided that just using SDI to escape the second hit of an upair is more efficient. So I got good at it. So even though its weird, I can do it a lot. And IMO its the better option.
Exactly. If you always ask for help, you'll never actually get better, you'll just have a ton of tricks of what the "normal" response should be and then since everyone knows those responses you're going to get *****. What happens when they counter the one thing you do that's supposed to work? Are you going to come back and ask me how to beat that too? Who do you think Mango asks if he can't figure something out? You think he beat PC Chris because someone taught him how to fight Fox? What if I don't know the answer? I guess then you'll never know how to beat Falco and you're stuck forever. I mean this game is all about adapting to your opponent, if you can't do that yourself then how do you expect to win ever?

Sorry to say all this to you Chris lol, this applies to LOTS of people, you just happened to be the last guy to say it =)

Having said that I'll still help you out if you ask lol

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Hey whoever's dropping off Combofest, do you think it'd be possible to drop me off at his place? I'm probably going to just spend the night at his place. You'd be my hero for the month! :]

Kira-

Smash Champion
Wow I want a combo named after me

So after the tourney I'm taking home Combofest, AntoPark, and Kirbyraeg?

Ekoli

Smash Journeyman
you can also full hop nair as fox against falco

that's all i know other than the grab and **** him up and shine stuff.
Yea, thats normally wat i do and it works about 80% of the time but, it can start to be super predictable so wen ur up against smarter players,its probably going to start be baited so you'll start getting punished more often.

JDM

Smash Champion
Why didn't you play TF2 when I IM'd you!?!?!!? jk.

Yeah you can have the last spot Andrew.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
er wait, now i dont remember if it was squid or spencer

either way my car has 4 spots, you guys got it

but this is only on the way back, correct?
hehe actually some stuff came up...I'm not going this saturday.

so never mind about me lol

Top Bottom