• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

JDM

Smash Champion
Possible bomb threat at Uni tomorrow.

If I don't post tomorrow just remember that I love you all.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i dunno these were usually whatever in palmdale. lol

hope you guys stay safe

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I only started SWD-ing with slight consistency such a little while ago. Oh and also, when I plug in my controller the C-stick keeps pointing down. I've been working with the start+X+Y deal for a whileee. Am I supposed to clean it as well?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Have you opened up your controller with a tri-wing? If so, have you realigned the C-stick? If so, have you asked someone really really good at controllers like Rickety? If so, have you considered getting a new controller?

Incronaut

Smash Ace
you should probably clean it, it's probably the inside stick being all... sticky. (lol)

i can take a look at it this friday if i come / there's something going on

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
you guys and your knowledge about the inside of controllers, and frame data, and hacking the game, and ... other ****. i wanna see one of you *****es describe string theory to me right ****ing now lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
yeah i dunno that stuff

i just know how to grab

and that ftilt is my best move but i dont know how to use it yet

-----
actually i know a decent amount of frame data but oh well

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
yeah most high level players i've spoken to or asked about frame data and stuff dont know :p ... honestly i dont know how it can help, because i cant see frames when i play :\

Kira-

Smash Champion
well it's helped me in a couple spots

for example, knowing that Marth's Nair and Fair have the same L-cancelled landing lag is good, because if you do a nair on their shield you know that it's possible to avoid the shield grab in time. However, bair has slightly more lag (2 frames?) so you'd have to be a lot more precise with your timing to avoid a shield grab if you didn't space.

A lot of people think Nair will always get shield grabbed and Fair is faster, but that's simply because of the mechanics of Nair (hits twice, not many people time the 2nd hit to be right before they land), not because it's slower.

OR

Falco's shield pressure, Dair has 9 frames of L-cancelled lag, Nair has 7. Which means Dair is easier to shield grab (2 frames does make a noticable difference, you can tell that it's slower). HOWEVER, dair also has more payoff if it hits (at low percent, won't be CC'd as easily, sets up for consecutive hits at all percents). So if someone is shield grabbing your dairs, you can either decide to do them much later (closer to the ground), or use nair which will probably throw them off more.

But if you didn't know that dair was slower, you would never choose to use Nair for shield pressure ever, since it has less payoff.

AND

like it's an aid to help you time your shine better. you can shine after a Nair slightly sooner than you can after a dair, even though you don't know EXACTLY how much sooner you can experiment with it and eventually find the fastest (frame perfect) timing.

So like with Sheik when I'm doing dairs on a platform, I won't try to jump as quickly as I would after a Fair, cause I know she's gonna be lagged for slightly longer. My inputs won't matter for like 3 extra frames, so I can learn to time it differently. Or on the flip side, I can learn to jump much sooner after a fair than I would from a dair.

And then eventually it becomes "muscle memory" and you don't have to think about waiting a bit longer after a dair, you just know.

One more:

You can see the fastest thing to do out of shield. What's faster, marth's shield grab or his up B? Does reverse up B hit later than normal up B? A frame perfect fair out of shield hits before or after marth's shield grab? What about wavedashing out, can you escape faster than fair out of shield? You have to keep in mind startup frames, jump frames (marth's shield grab hits on frame 7, but he leaves the ground on frame 5), how long it takes for the Fair hitbox to hit in front of him, how hard it is to do any action frame perfectly (is it easier to up B out of shield frame perfect or fair out of shield frame perfect), etc.

Hope that helps.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
@ dave ohh i see, so you use the knowledge to see the speed at which something will come out, and use it to make a move in a specific situation, rather than actually looking for a specific frame to do something. that makes a lot more sense. i feel kinda dumb not thinking of that before haha

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i live in the corner across his school

i didn't hear anything or was blown up along

JDM

Smash Champion
They will probably bomb us during the Pep Assembly on Friday. Alot of ******* were missing school today.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I see I've taught you well dave
lol you taught my puff well

my marth on the other hand remains superior

Alot of ******* were missing school today.
loool. reminds me of when my parents took me out of school on 911

it was so lame. everyone who stayed said they played games and watched movies and i was stuck at home forced to watch the news. C'est la vie..

Incronaut

Smash Ace
yeah i dunno that stuff

i just know how to grab

and that ftilt is my best move but i dont know how to use it yet

-----
actually i know a decent amount of frame data but oh well
well it's helped me in a couple spots

for example, knowing that Marth's Nair and Fair have the same L-cancelled landing lag is good, because if you do a nair on their shield you know that it's possible to avoid the shield grab in time. However, bair has slightly more lag (2 frames?) so you'd have to be a lot more precise with your timing to avoid a shield grab if you didn't space.

A lot of people think Nair will always get shield grabbed and Fair is faster, but that's simply because of the mechanics of Nair (hits twice, not many people time the 2nd hit to be right before they land), not because it's slower.

OR

Falco's shield pressure, Dair has 9 frames of L-cancelled lag, Nair has 7. Which means Dair is easier to shield grab (2 frames does make a noticable difference, you can tell that it's slower). HOWEVER, dair also has more payoff if it hits (at low percent, won't be CC'd as easily, sets up for consecutive hits at all percents). So if someone is shield grabbing your dairs, you can either decide to do them much later (closer to the ground), or use nair which will probably throw them off more.

But if you didn't know that dair was slower, you would never choose to use Nair for shield pressure ever, since it has less payoff.

AND

like it's an aid to help you time your shine better. you can shine after a Nair slightly sooner than you can after a dair, even though you don't know EXACTLY how much sooner you can experiment with it and eventually find the fastest (frame perfect) timing.

So like with Sheik when I'm doing dairs on a platform, I won't try to jump as quickly as I would after a Fair, cause I know she's gonna be lagged for slightly longer. My inputs won't matter for like 3 extra frames, so I can learn to time it differently. Or on the flip side, I can learn to jump much sooner after a fair than I would from a dair.

And then eventually it becomes "muscle memory" and you don't have to think about waiting a bit longer after a dair, you just know.

One more:

You can see the fastest thing to do out of shield. What's faster, marth's shield grab or his up B? Does reverse up B hit later than normal up B? A frame perfect fair out of shield hits before or after marth's shield grab? What about wavedashing out, can you escape faster than fair out of shield? You have to keep in mind startup frames, jump frames (marth's shield grab hits on frame 7, but he leaves the ground on frame 5), how long it takes for the Fair hitbox to hit in front of him, how hard it is to do any action frame perfectly (is it easier to up B out of shield frame perfect or fair out of shield frame perfect), etc.

Hope that helps.
LOL @ hypocrisy <3 (even though you said actually i know a decent amount, im going to ignore that for some lols)

all i want to say is, im surprised ******* is not censored. ******

JDM

Smash Champion
1. JDM

I will be playing FFXIII on the big screen or when my dad gets back tomorrow the new TV.

Reserve your spots now.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
LOL @ gsub ahaha

yeah sure. ill also bring a full setup too :D (love me more please i need the attention)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
maximum lovin goin on in here

i am a no. finals week=sadface.

normally finals week wouldn't stop me but i have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. :/

Top Bottom