• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

JDM

Smash Champion
Hey Jason my bro wants to know if there are any job openings at your work.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
You'll never find the 3rd strike Cameron.

Never

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveeeeeeeeeeer.

Glow doesn't sound like he's interested in finding it either lol

DJMirror

Smash Master
3rd strike you can find it in Asian garden mall 4 35 bucks and it's on the ps2

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Does anyone here know anything about making fight sticks?

I have a broken cheap *** arcade stick (I think the PCB is messed up) and I want to take the buttons and re-wire it to the PCB from a different controller to get it to work that way. Is this plausible?

I don't want any crap about how I should buy a stick. I got this one for free from my cousin, and I don't even know if I want to learn any 2D fighters. If I decided I wanted to upgrade to something more high end, would it be possible to just get some Sanwa buttons and a joystick and replace what I've got with that?

DJMirror

Smash Master
Does anyone here know anything about making fight sticks?

I have a broken cheap *** arcade stick (I think the PCB is messed up) and I want to take the buttons and re-wire it to the PCB from a different controller to get it to work that way. Is this plausible?

I don't want any crap about how I should buy a stick. I got this one for free from my cousin, and I don't even know if I want to learn any 2D fighters. If I decided I wanted to upgrade to something more high end, would it be possible to just get some Sanwa buttons and a joystick and replace what I've got with that?
http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177 this thread is for tech question

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132452 this thread is a tutorial on how to do it yourself

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=186903 LIVE tech support about sticks

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=172793 If you want to buy a custom stick from Nareg his work is amazing

here a sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rjw4ypIMQ4

SRK is mad crazy about sticks and stuff

I wonder if Nareg still sell the Captain America Theme Hori Stick

Make a SRK account or PM me if you want to use my account instead

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
thanks, im excited to learn it

i cant figure out how to emulate it, which would be crappy anyway due to technical restrictions

and cammy is good in that game

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE

JDM

Smash Champion
Me and my little bro won this gigantic sized dog at the OC fair today. My older brother won a small bannana.

DJMirror

Smash Master
949 carpool to melée 6 at upland

So far I have Connor and dave (that n!gg@) maybe cam and jenny will go with me?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Okay, so I found a funny topic while searching for a Melee vs. Brawl list. Here is the link to the topic. Brawl Defended And basically people were saying that Brawl was superior to Melee left and right. I registered on the forum just to post this. And I thought it was funny enough that I might as well post what I posted here. Everything below is part of my post.

Let me start off by saying, I believe Melee is far superior to Brawl and I will explain this in detail later. If you are too immature to listen to other's points of view, please stop reading this post now. Also, for those out there who don't know (Just so I don't get people saying, "Who is this Sakurai character you're talking about? Can he combo?"), Masahiro Sakurai is the designer of the Smash Bros. series.

Alright, alright, I was searching through google.com to find some differences between Melee and Brawl on paper somewhere and stumbled upon this thread. Upon reading it, I found it so hilarious, I had to register on these forums just to post about this. I'm going to take a bit of time to respond to a few things I found...interesting. No mercy, if you think I'm mean, sorry, I mean nothing but honesty.

"That's right, I honestly think that it's better than MGS4, Fallout 3 and GTA4." ~Kevinis

Okay, first of all, MGS4, Fallout 3, and GTA4 are definitely not fighting games. There isn't really any comparison as to which is a better game or not. They're different. You also asked why Brawl is thought to be a fail...I'll explain that in more detail later.

"i agree smash is way better than melee!!" ~king krazie 87

What does this even mean? The titles of the two games in question are Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They both have "smash" in them. Unless you're agreeing with someone who didn't post that Smash 64 is better than Melee, then this must be meant for humor.

"But Brawl advanced everything and has great levels, and challenging story and bonus modes. Brawl was almost perfect." ~CapitalWastelanderX

Great levels for what? Random party walk off maps and such? Or are you trying to pass off Brawl as having good levels for competitive play? Challenging story and bonus modes get old. Competitive play does not. And lastly for this, Brawl was not almost perfect. See later in the post for more detail.

"all of you must b n00b gammers then. brawl is a pusified remain of melee. everything about brawl besides appearance is worse" ~3IIK

As much as I agree with the noob gamers statment, it's a little harsh, and Brawl did have a couple of pluses. Yes, graphics got better, but Nintendo also put in level making and video recording capabilities. This isn't necessarily good for competitive play, which I'd usually advocate like crazy, but you can more easily make machinimas, though it can still be done with Melee.

"Much of the Smash community is dedicated to Brawl now with only a fraction still devoted to Melee." ~SeoulTiger

This is untrue if you read it a certain way. If you mean, the mainstream average smash player plays Brawl instead of Melee, yes, you're right. However, if you mean there is only a small fraction devoted to Melee in competitive tournament play; no, that is an incorrect statement. There are still plenty of Melee players compared to Brawl. I don't have proof to back this up? Nah, of course I do. At Genesis in Antioch, California, the latest big Smash tournament; there were 290 entrants in the Melee tournament. There were 292 in the Brawl tournament. That's a heck of a fraction. Anyways, I do admire most of your post however.

"They're pretty identical." ~Awesomemans

What the (insert explicative here) planet are you on? Read on to see why they are definitely NOT identical!

"-The Smash Ball ruins the experience -Not True!" ~Kevinis

No, this one's correct. The smash ball DOES ruin the experience for competitive play. Unless you enjoy the randomness factor that allows inexperienced players to win without skill, the smash ball, for all intents and purposes, is useless.

"-Many characters have no originality in terms of fighting techniques such as Lucas and Ness or Captain Falcon and Ganon. -They're minor clones. It's not a big deal." ~Kevinis

Oh my goodness. You make sense here. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are similar, but not clones. Some of the moves are similar, like Uair (up air), but much is changed as well. Well done. I agree it's fine to have similar characters in the game like the Space Animals (Fox and Falco), Marth and Roy/Ike, etc.

I can't quote this because it's too long, but this is in response to SeoulTiger's post on August 8th, 2009 at 5:04 PM.

Wavedashing is not done through DI (directional influence). It is done through airdodging diagonally at the ground just after you have jumped. But it's useless and stuff, Brawl players might say. No, it's not. It's brilliance by accident. The glitch opens up a plethora of options allowing for several different things. First of all, it allows for better spacing and easier movement. One can easily wavedash backwards off the stage to grab the edge, for example. Secondly, it speeds up movement. For example, Luigi moves faster wavedashing than running. Characters may waveland (airdodging after the character has made more than the initial jump) onto the stage from the ledge allowing for more options. The player may waveland onto platforms allowing for more skillful tech chases and such. Players may waveland off of a platform into an aerial. Is it necessary? No. Does it help? Yes. It allows for more options and variability. Good job, Sakurai, you messed up well. And yes, Brawl does not have it because air dodging is always in place. Oh yes, and it's not necessarily "the" fastest way of moving. I personally main Sheik who has a fairly short wavedash, and I move roughly as fast as Marth's dash. Captain Falcon can catch me, for example.

For the most part, SeoulTiger has a point though. Nintendo seems to have fixed these glitches to screw up competitive play. Tripping or prat falling was put in to stop excessive dashing. How is that good for competitive play? It's literally like Sakurai said, "Hmm, let's limit players' options by taking away their ability to move easily." And yes, SeoulTiger's right. A good game shouldn't have to rely on online play for competitiveness. Communities exist offline. And yes, I am a registered forumer on SWF (Smashboards, Smash World Forums).

"You're comparing two games that couldn't be any more different and saying that one is better than the other is absolutely ridiculous." ~Awesomemans

Btw, yeah, I agree with this. And I say this, because I bashed on Awesomemans earlier for mistakenly saying Melee and Brawl are very similar. Metal Gear is not even close to Smash. Kay, moving on...

Alright, so I've reached the end of my bash session. Let me now go into explicit detail on some differences between Melee and Brawl and some problems with Brawl. Most of these destroy competitiveness and increase random chance.

SECTION ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH BRAWL (Look here in case you're too lazy to read the whole post I've written.)

Competitive Problems:

1. Brawl has no combos and little to no hit stun. This is a slight overstatement because there is one character who has combos, and that is Metaknight. For every other character, their attacks do not cause any hit stun and everything is escapable through air dodging. For the record, I'm sick of seeing people on youtube posting "Brawl Combo Video", because there are not combos except maybe simple "Hold A" combos. Something like Dthrow->Uair->Uair->Fair doesn't work. On Captain Falcon, that'd be, Down throw, Backflip, Backflip, Knee, by the way.

2. Brawl is slower. Not just in movement speed, but in gameplay. It takes much longer to kill people, which makes for less exciting games. In most fighting games, there is a shorter time limit. At any rate, watching Combo-Combo-Edgeguard-Kill 2-minute matches are more fun than watching 5-minute Brawl camp sessions (A.k.a. random hit matches in Brawl).

3. Graphics are better. Yes, I actually consider this a problem. The reason being not necessarily what people might think. It's fine to have better graphics and such. However, Brawl has more visual stimulus that detracts from the actual fight. Look at the two Battlefields for example. In Melee, it's fairly simple. The background changes colors and that's about it. Now look at Brawl's BF. There are random patches of grass and God knows what on the map. The level even changes from night to day, I believe. Why do you even feel the need to put that in a game? It takes away from actually watching the fight. If I wanted to watch the background change, I wouldn't be playing a game and controlling my character.

4. Knockback changes between the moves. Okay, so this isn't too bad; but it is quite annoying. Every time the same move hits, the knockback is decreased. Only thing I have to say about this is that it makes the fights more nuancey and less straightforward.

There are other problems I'd like to address that I'd love to hear other people's responses to. Feel free to bash my post as much as you want, but here goes.

Problems In General:

1. Items. Why do people even argue over them? They're bad for competitive play in the first place. All tournaments ban them, to my knowledge. And yes, the smash ball shouldn't even have been introduced into the game because it is random. Pokeball fights are silly. But they're so fun because I can win without any skill! Yeah, no. Skill is what makes a fighting game a fighting game and not an RPG (Role Playing Game). Kay, moving on.

2. Levels. Both Melee and Brawl have stupid levels. Let me simply talk about a couple of Melee's stupid levels. Flat Zone. A player can camp the edge and literally back throw another player to their death with one move at 0%. This is not competitive. Brinstar Depths. The level changes to something different every single time it moves (confirmed not the same pattern or anything of the sort). Also, the blast lines are incredibly low which gives a huge advantage to vertical killing characters. Icicle Mountain. The level constantly scrolls with constant walk off edges. You can die from not moving. Great. That's excellent for a "fighting game". Why not call it a "moving game" instead. Yeah, I'm not even going to say anything more about this.

3. Some Sort of Adventure Mode. Stop saying this is so cool. Adventure mode detracts from what the game is made to be, which is a fighting game. It isn't a side scroller or whatever. If you want one of those, play the original Mario Bros. instead. Watch a movie with the storyline of Subspace. But please, Sakurai, don't put in a useless addition to our game when you can be developing more important content like a balanced character list.

4. Characters. Shoot, Sakurai. You screwed up. Not only are Snake and Sonic not even Nintendo characters, but you have one character who is more broken than the rest: Metaknight. You can search "Broken God Tier Characters in Brawl" or whatever if you want to learn more about this issue, but basically, he's supposedly terribly unfair.

5. Unlockables. I personally think that at the beginning of a fighting game, you should have all the characters unlocked without having to do anything extra just because that would make it more competitive and less RPG'ish. Yeah...I'm not really going to argue this one because there will always be little kids who are all, "OMG, I love to unlock stuff because I don't want to play people in real life."

Yeah, so that's about all I can think of for now. Hopefully this explains enough for those of you wondering why we here in the Melee community believe SSBM is better than SSBB. I would seriously love to hear people's responses to this post. I'll try and remember to check back to respond to anyone's questions, whether they're like, "Hey, how do you shine-spike with fox?" or if they're "Hey, I've found something wrong with your argument. What do you think about music in the game?!" Go for it. Post whatever you want. I'd love to respond. And for the record, I don't think about the music much. I like it better in Melee because it's more consistent and is the same track for each stage (for the most part). This helps me to develop a similar rhythm to fight to. So yeah, that's about it. Good luck developing your counterarguments!

~BW

MacD

Banned via Administration
5. Unlockables. I personally think that at the beginning of a fighting game, you should have all the characters unlocked without having to do anything extra just because that would make it more competitive and less RPG'ish. Yeah...I'm not really going to argue this one because there will always be little kids who are all, "OMG, I love to unlock stuff because I don't want to play people in real life."
aren't some/many other fighting games like this, i know soul caliber 2 had a few, MVC2, and i'm sure other's, this is where jason should come in with his knowledge of every single fighting game and let us know

DJMirror

Smash Master
MacD i dont know every single fighting game, I just know like maybe 60% of them you are giving me too credit here

Kira-

Smash Champion
lol you were valedictorian?

welcome to every smasher's world okami
we have had to deal with this stupidity since the beginning of time

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Psst, anyone down to smash today? I might call up Marc to crash his place. It's pretty legit. He moved out of the house and lives like right near me. Stab, you up for going if I make the call?

Oh yeah, and on unlockables. I don't know, that was just sort of a personal preference thing that stemmed from Xbox Live. On Xbox Live, if you recover your account on someone else's Xbox, you have to re-unlock the characters in Soul Calibur IV; so I just thought perhaps a fighting game with already unlocked characters, already unlocked stages, balanced gameplay; might be nice. *shrugs* I actually had fun unlocking the characters and stages in Melee, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but those guys can't argue very well anyways, so they won't know the difference. :p

Anyways...Melee today?

Edit: Oh, Melee 6 is after I leave.

Another edit: Valedictorian at my school just means that you finished high school with a 4.0 or higher. There were like 30 of us. Scholar of scholars is now the top of the top.

Top Bottom