• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion
noob tourney

i was thinking of doing a tournament where only non-ranked people are invited

it'd be like $3 entry fee

also since i'm hosting and i'm ranked there is a obvious contradiction

so there are like 3 options, you guys can vote

1. i dont enter
2. i enter but dont receive any amount of the pot regardless of my placing
3. i can only use low/bottom tier characters. im a top tier *****, but i bet i could still beat a lot of people (;

check the social room for the thread

joeplicate

Smash Master
you don't know about this boy embrace the 12

his falco is really good and smart, too
I'll actually bet 5 dollars that he'll beat you ;)

DJMirror

Smash Master
I just put a dollar on MacD cuz he's 949

I seen what you guys do everytime me and TGL do a mm 805 cheer on 805

I'm sure macD with Kira training

he can beat steven's sheik

joeplicate

Smash Master
don't tell me you're saying an IC's beat tofu... that's unheard of!!!!!!
a peach that beats a fox that's bad against peaches!
how unheard of! lol

but yeah, should be good
if I'm in norcal already, and you beat him, then too ****in bad, you're not getting your money

DJMirror

Smash Master
everytime 805 see me mm against TGL

I choke like a *****

I can hear Steven and lovage **** talk like a mad man =(

MacD

Banned via Administration
a peach that beats a fox that's bad against peaches!
how unheard of! lol

but yeah, should be good
if I'm in norcal already, and you beat him, then too ****in bad, you're not getting your money
way to take an extra like 5 min to post hat top part

but you better be in the 805 wheni get there, i want extra monies

Kira-

Smash Champion
when would this tournament be?
soon, whenever i can get the room. ideally aug 29th or sept 5th, before school really gets going cause i'm going to be very busy this year. you better win it! haha

you don't know about this boy embrace the 12

his falco is really good and smart, too
I'll actually bet 5 dollars that he'll beat you ;)
not with falco he wont

I'm sure macD with Kira training

he can beat steven's sheik
no, it's not like macd really got better at the matchup
plus i never camped him in friendlies

i havent had to transform against him yet (; He doesn't know my FULL POWER

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I think the unranked tournament sounds like a fun idea; though I don't know how much attendance you'll get. I'd guess it'd be a 16-man tourney. I won't be here at that time anyways.

@Stab-Yeah, I wanna play today (Wednesday). You or anyone else down?

Kira-

Smash Champion
cam i got bored in class on monday and wrote a page on sheik vs puff
its the whole matchup from sheik's perspective, tailored to your style

**** it is such a good summary of the matchup, also helped me realize that if i mess up 4 times i lose the game, but if i dont i win automatically. pretty dangerous/fun matchup, tests your concentration and patience

now i have no unranked weaknesses, period. =D

I think the unranked tournament sounds like a fun idea; though I don't know how much attendance you'll get. I'd guess it'd be a 16-man tourney. I won't be here at that time anyways.
people don't know this, but if everyone from socal decided to travel every weekend, you'd realize our total competitive audience is easily over 100. some are in retirement, some forget to check the boards, some simply dont go outside their area code. but there are a ****load of smashers all over the place.

everywhere i go there are smash players, especially melee ones, but they dont know about smashboards or where to find out about tournaments, or they go to one but don't have the drive to get better and travel every weekend. if things are convenient enough they will go, ie if we host a tournament at UArizona, a LOT of UofA randoms will show up.

this was slightly off topic but there will be a lot more than 16 people thats for sure

and im gonna see you friday right? lol

smashboards is the perfect distraction when you have to study

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll be here Friday still. How would we get everyone from SoCal to go to a tournament if they don't check the boards though? Would we advertise around college campuses like IVC, Saddleback, Orange Coast, UCI, etc.? Also, would we allow those who were, by definition, unranked join as well? Like, for example, could Ken join the tournament? If it's big enough, I might jump on a plane and fly down here for the weekend. ;) So far my schedule is classes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and that's it.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'll be here Friday still. How would we get everyone from SoCal to go to a tournament if they don't check the boards though? Would we advertise around college campuses like IVC, Saddleback, Orange Coast, UCI, etc.? Also, would we allow those who were, by definition, unranked join as well? Like, for example, could Ken join the tournament? If it's big enough, I might jump on a plane and fly down here for the weekend. ;) So far my schedule is classes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and that's it.
lol that's why i said it was off-topic. i dont think the tournament will be big enough for you to fly down, but yeah advertising at colleges/high schools/other online forums is ****

i think the mere fact that other people have a very good chance of getting money will bring more people than usual. just saying it's very possible that 30 people show up even with the absence of 10 regular attendees.

yes, anyone not currently ranked as of july 19th is allowed to enter.

ken wouldnt go anyway, but even if he did would anyone say no to ken actually attending a tournament? not me, **** even i would like to **** play ken. manacloud could come lol. but man if our unranked players can't beat him then we have a lot of work to do (pretty sure they'd **** him tho)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
And even perhaps if you started off with only, say 30 people, it could grow into a larger thing. Perhaps we might even be able to add to the Melee community. *shrugs* You should study though.

Anyone down for smash today though?

Kira-

Smash Champion
And even perhaps if you started off with only, say 30 people, it could grow into a larger thing. Perhaps we might even be able to add to the Melee community. *shrugs* You should study though.
indeed, i dont understand why TO's don't reach out to broader audiences. DBR / Hyuga or Champ / Neal could easily take the competition and attendance to the next level, seeing how many entrants they get ONLY through AiB and Smashboards. Hugo / Reggie are the first people to really take action on this, which is partially why they are getting so many props (aside from the amazing venue and ridiculous amount of TVs + setups they've acquired). It's miraculous that the community has survived this long without purposeful advertising.

If I were a bum I would definitely try to do that. Right now I have academic stuff that comes first, but it's my dream that we get back to MLG status instead of simply being sad that the game isn't at that level right now.

I will definitely try to gain bigger and bigger recognition of smash tournaments. I don't plan on having just one of these and ending it there. Really the hardest thing is to just find a good, reliable venue. The rest is easy.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I might go to your house

depending how I'm feeling right now cuz i said to kira no smash for today but after watching OC2 Crew battles and m2k vs Ken in marth ditto

Top Bottom