• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Kira-

Smash Champion
i really feel like one of those 90% gym-goers that lifts and has no idea what im doing.

if you knew powerlifting takes over your whole life... you would have lost your life to powerlifting a year ago?? is that what youre saying? (im not being critical, im being a nub) lol
I would've gotten serious a year ago yes. Instead I started out well, did about 5 months of GOOD training, (about july to sep, then again from nov to dec) getting wayy stronger and making ACTUAL progress, and screwed around for the other 6 months and didn't accomplish anything.

Although I'd like to thank Michael (theBOSS) for helping me out and answering a lot of questions I had. I learned most of my information reading forums and articles for hours every day but the rest I learned from him, he also was the only coach I ever had so he taught me how to do a lot of exercises (I learned the core lifts on my own though).

He's a great personal trainer and knows his stuff and is certified and everything, he trained kyle and I for CHEAP for about a month before we ran out of cash cuz we were just dirt poor, if anyone was interested in that they should definitely hit him up, although he did move back to Oceanside recently so you'd probably have to make a bit of a trip.

Oh yeah that's right I was supposed to get tips from you Kira about exercising. I haven't been doing much now though due to my back.

That reminds me, I strained my back again at the last JDM smashfest, this time I was just sitting on the floor... I leaned forward to unplug my controller, and stood up from that awkward position and wrecked my back.

what should I do now, continue light exercise or rest for a while? My mom won't pay for a chiropractor because she doesn't believe in them
That's awful.. I haven't looked up a lot on injuries so I'm not sure, I would assume you're talking about your lower back and in that case you've probably just been sitting or lifting with bad posture (i mean almost everyone does), but if it's that bad just trying to get your controller I would definitely see a doctor. sorry man. btw doing squats might help your back, it helped mine

on second thought i doubt your back is really that bad, i think if you just had better posture it would be okay, sitting down for that long in a position like that can strain my back too but it isn't permanent. hard to tell just from what you've said tho

and if anyone needs help and doesn't have Boss's number... let me know im pretty much loving it right now and im always down to lift together if anyone wants

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Here's a good question:

Where do you get the motivation to work out? Is there a way to motivate yourself to just go out and be physically active??

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Here's a good question:

Where do you get the motivation to work out? Is there a way to motivate yourself to just go out and be physically active??
From what I can tell, most people's motivations are "I don't want to be fat", "I want to be buff and get girls", or "I have fun playing sports." Joining an intramural sports team or taking a class at the ARC might be a good way to force yourself to commit to something.

Personally, I go to the gym if someone drags me along with them. If nobody invites me, I never go. My primary motivation is "I don't want a beer belly when I'm 40."

Signia

Smash Lord
do you guys wanna like... play some kind of sport together

or would that go the way bowling did

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
real football

also my reason as simple as it was back then was to win

i'm not in any group any more, so i lost all motivation

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
My vote goes to Basketballlll

But real talk, we should actually plan a date for this stuff. Like there was the idea for Kbbq/Karaoke but that hasn't happened (still down to do it).

Let's just do this **** Saturday or Sunday, It's not like there's a tourney on that date or something. (Heck even friday could even work)

Jun.

Smash Lord
Society needs girls.

Even though melee is great and all, it fails to create genetic diversity within populations.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Girls... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em

I'm still SO down for the karaoke and stuff, i told anthony about the activity, it ***** really hard and i would get the materials for everyone. Then we can play football/bball after since we'll be in anthony's neighborhood area which *****

It shouldn't get in the way of a Melee tournament, though, right?

What kind of weight training are you doing, Kira? I got into lifting in the Fall, and I'm doing the starting strength program here: http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

I still can't do power cleans to save my life, though.
I did SS, gained 40 lbs and got wayy stronger, that was the only time I was making awesome progress, was when I was eating tons of food. I am a living testimony of that program, I'm still weak but compared to what I used to be I'm very happy with the results.

I also didn't do the program very well, aka I did it poorly and STILL made great gains. My maxes were,

squat - 245x5
deadlift - 225x5 (didnt train DL very much)
press - 115x5
bench - 175x5 (dont laugh ppl)

I know that's not great but compared to where i started i couldn't bench 100 to save my life, I remember almost puking after doing squats for 185 on a SMITH machine before doing SS and that was for 2 sets compared to 5 sets across at 245, so im satisfied.

i can't do cleans because my left wrist is ******** and can't bend without extreme pain, i mean i can but i can't rack it on my shoulders due to wrist pain (it's not just flexibility, my right wrist is fine, my left is jacked up). One time I hi-fived connor and pulled back in pain lol. But i've "racked" it by bringing it up to shoulder level and holding it with my arms at 135x5 (kinda like right before you start an overhead press), but again i never really trained it

Here's a good question:

No idea. I don't know where motivation comes from, I want to say that you're born with it b/c there are people like Kyle who are naturally motivated but not INSANELY motivated (like doing every little thing possible to do better), there are people who are insanely motivated, there are people who just love to do it just b/c it is fun for them, then there is the rest of the population who won't do anything at all and quit after 2 months. but there are people who have turned their lives around so it must come from somewhere. Currently I am inclined to say that either,

1. you are born with it
2. comes from insecurities you have growing up
3. something drastic must happen for you to change later (like someone dying or you get sent to jail lol)

but i'm sure my perspective will change as i get older and get more life experience

Kira-

Smash Champion
Oh yeah to answer your question I am currently very confused as to what I should do and change my mind often, but I moved on to the 5x5 Madcow Intermediate (or Bill Starr's 5x5) and I am trying to go on a clean bulk. I started that program this week, so hopefully I can eat and sleep enough to make good gains.

My long-term goal that I have had since last March was to deadlift 500 lbs, squat 400, bench 300, and press my bodyweight (at least 200). This should realistically take many years

Signia

Smash Lord
I'd rather play soccer where I don't have a ******** height advantage, but football and basketball are obviously a better choices for the amount of people we have. I don't envy who I'll be guarding in any game, but you cross country kids will be in way better shape than me.

Oh and I'm super hyped for karaoke

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
me too

i have a ball at home lol

but they shouldn't cost too much since we aren't getting a tournament ball but a practice ball

joeplicate

Smash Master
damn dude

working out is so legit

i finally got back into the gym this week, and back into exercise and being active in general. i look at myself in the mirror today

DWAM!

i'm getting back results already haha.

(i lost a lot of weight/muscle over winter break, but it's coming back now)

Incronaut

Smash Ace
dave, do you generally workout by yourself? if you do, how do you bench/squat without a spotter? i know theres a squat helper, but just wondering..

im down for karaoke + ball (preferably basketball) and stuff

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
so are we doing anything this weekend?

since i got a friend that wants to go somewhere but i haven't gave him an answer since i would like to hang with you guys if this does go down

Kira-

Smash Champion
THE PLAN

Saturday

Meet at 12 noon at the beach (jk but possible)

THE REAL PLAN

Saturday

Meet at JDMs at 3pm (pending anthony's confirmation)

Chill 'till everyone gets there (smashers are always late)

Walk/go to park area, play awesome game

Play bball (which i suk at) or football (which i will rawk u guys at since im a fatty.. got my bodyfat measured yetserday it's pretty high)

go eat food, kbbq possibly or maybe a food court so we can all pick

go to karaoke

own anto+paul in another teams MM for the $2 bucks that they owe us

dave, do you generally workout by yourself? if you do, how do you bench/squat without a spotter? i know theres a squat helper, but just wondering..
i squat by myself, if i fail i'll set it down on the pins, i don't bench without a spotter i usually have kyle spot me. nowadays our workouts are pretty different so i'll do my workout beforehand then meet up with them OR i'll do everything up until i bench and then have kyle help me, then finish my workout, then have them do theirs lol

I actually prefer to work out on my own for some reason, i know a lot of people push harder with other people around or they like the atmosphere better. I enjoy talking in between sets but I would rather stay focused and get stuff done and not be distracted by anything but my own effort. Also I seem to be able to psych myself up better by myself than with other people

MacD

Banned via Administration
plan

go to train station tomorrow

get to norcal at 9:30

get new car and a haircut on sat

maybe come home sat night maybe come home sunday

then be mad at the fun you guys had while i was gone :(

Top Bottom