• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

ComboFest

Smash Lord
Ok so my bro bragged to his friends about how awesome I am for sleeping polyphasic, my parents read his facebook
and now they want me off the schedule. FML

Not that they can stop me, lol. They'll be too busy hibernating
Lol every 4 hours you sleep 20 minutes. Best schedule ever.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Ok so my bro bragged to his friends about how awesome I am for sleeping polyphasic, my parents read his facebook
and now they want me off the schedule. FML

Not that they can stop me, lol. They'll be too busy hibernating
can you go into more detail (again if you have already) on how it's going for you? im kinda curious :D

Kira-

Smash Champion
I am very skeptical that any sleep schedule could be better than getting all your sleep in one go.

Aside from whether or not you feel more awake, you simply cannot build any muscle mass EVER, as it takes 2 hours of sleep before that actually begins to take effect, I mean you grow when you sleep and 20 minutes at a time cannot cut it.

Unless you're planning on being an albert einstein and sitting in your room all day figuring out the universe or mastering games online, then sure you have the time and you can afford to be a stick figure

but i mean, for social reasons, what is the use of that lol. "Sorry guys, can't work longer than 4 hours at a time, sorry can't watch this movie because it's off of my 4 hour schedule, sorry I can't go eat unless i find a place to sleep for 20 minutes, Aww crap I only slept 10 minutes, i'm gonna be pretty tired for the next 4 hours.." etc etc

regardless of how good it is, i will have respect if you successfully pull this off for a decent period of time lol

Kira-

Smash Champion
i dont think it would be any different than

"sprry guys i cant see this movie cuz i work in 5 hours and i need to sleep"
how about, "sorry I have to cut out for 20 minutes halfway through this business meeting cause I need to sleep"

The difference is,
1. It's happening 6 times throughout the day instead of once later at night
2. It's during inconvenient times relative to the rest of the world, while the standard schedule fits in perfectly

It's a cool idea though.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Firstly, I agree with you on the body chemicals and body mass production part.

Secondly, to my knowledge, here's some rebuttals:
1. You can afford to be flexible with when you take your naps. If you have to do something that is 4 1/2 hours, you can sleep after 5 hours without any problems. It's not like you die if you don't sleep exactly 3 hours and 40 minutes after you wake up.
2. If you sleep for only 10 minutes, you can go back to sleep for 20-30 minutes again immediately after. (Trust me. I've woken Ryan up in person and on the phone during his naps on several occasions.)
3. You can have a schedule that doesn't require as much physical energy as you might think. In the past, we had to wake up at 6 in the morning and then plow the field for 12 hours before going to bed and doing it again. We use only a fraction of that energy now unless we want to go to the gym or play sports (which as I said, you can work out of your schedule).
4. 3 of the times when he's sleeping are when other people are asleep too (12:30, 4:30, 8:30). That means he is only unavailable for an hour each day. It's kinda like having to go to the bathroom for 20 minutes. Would people object to that? Also, how often do people have to do stuff for longer than 5 hours that you can't take a 20 minute break in between? Now, answer that question again, but instead of "people", insert "Ryan" in. There's really not much that requires him to have his attention for 5 hours. Heck, even if he has to drive to Arizona, nothing would stop him from pulling over at a Walmart along the way and napping in the parking lot.

Those are the arguments and statements I've heard Ry present to me.

However...the problems I do present back to him are:
-What if you get sick?
-What if you really want a job that is 8 hours long?

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i dont really disagree with you dave

but in practice, nobody gets enough sleep. i would assume that peeps on the different sleep schdule can put off naps because they have to deal with real life and still be ok

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
basically this sleep cycle only works if you stick to it

there is no middle ground and no allowable middle ground

Incronaut

Smash Ace
8 hour shifts generally give an hour lunch break or something in between.. again GENERALLY.. so its still possible to take your power nap in between...

and getting sick... that is a good question

i like how ryan hasnt posted yet ROFL

ShadowScourge

Smash Cadet
My digits: (650) 245-2186
I won't be on campus till like 3 on both sat and sun though... o_o

The sleep schedule... I dunno. What happens if you combine the schedules...? Like sleep for a decent period of time at night... and then nap during class? :D

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
the sleep schedule sounds really good for a high school or university student

both undergrad and grad, if you stay productive as it is the original goal

but everyone procrastinates a lot so...

also i've read people do "engaging" activities which forces them to stay up which takes time to be more productive away

it doesn't sound ideal at all if you want to have a decent career such as an office job

hell even a construction worker can't do this on the job

i could be wrong on all this though

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
isn't non-REM sleep important for you body, though?
I think that's the main point, actually

the idea is that most people don't need for their bodies to operate at 100% capacity to get through life, and that REM+other stuff you get in those short naps will keep you mentally running, but that your body doesn't handle it quite as well, meaning that you couldn't live your entire life like this.

Signia

Smash Lord
ok... I'll try to answer everyone's questions, but first, a little background:

First off, before I started this schedule, I was a MAJOR procrastinator. It got to a point where every homework assignment was haphazardly completed a few hours up until class would start. My classes were in the morning, so this usually meant waking up at 3am every other night to do homework. I would get my work done quickly and efficiently a lot of times, but sometimes messing up and hurting my grades for no other reason than my awful habit. Worst of all though, I ended up in a vicious cycle of getting too little sleep (my parents would get suspicious if I went to sleep too early), sleeping during class, sleeping when I got home, waking up and wasting time, and then falling asleep again for few hours only to get up again and rush through my homework. Needless to say I did NOT pass most of my classes (3 Ds and an A). I kept telling myself I would start working hard again next week, but the cycle continued, and I soon gave up on it.

Then, I stumbled upon the uberman sleep schedule while looking at some random gamer psychology link on some forum. I was a bit skeptical at first, but once they explained how sleep works I gave it a chance. The biggest attraction was the idea of having more time. More time than I could ever want. The idea to me almost felt similar to immortality. With that time I'd be able to achieve anything. Gaming time was the last thing on my mind, I've had so many other things I've wanted to do but would never have time to do them and my studies and fulfill my almost unquenchable thirst for competition. Then I looked further and it said that polyphasic sleep is not for everyone. People attempting to adapt to the schedule should:

Have a good reason and motivation for doing it, so as to have enough willpower to make through adaptation

Be able to sleep anywhere

Be able to handle being alone often during the night

Be able to handle not being the same as everyone else

Have a whole lot stuff to do so you don't get bored

And I fulfilled all of those requirements. I am really good at sleeping. I enjoyed the peaceful time during the night that I already had. I understand the crowd is not always right and is in fact often wrong. And I had ****-ton of things I wanted to do and when I felt lazy I could easily timesink into progRaming and gaming. This was it, with this I could become the person I'd dreamed of becoming.

More later, I'm take a quick nap ;)

lol I got pretty dramatic there. Just want to show how important this is to me.

Anyway, 6 months later, I finally found a window of opportunity. One needs about a week and half of time off to adapt, and I worked full time during the summer. At the end of summer I had planned on quitting the summer intern program 2 weeks early, going on a vacation to vegas, and using the last week to start adapting. When I learned that I would not have that week, and that school started earlier than I thought, I began planning for adapting during my time at vegas/arizona with Okami's family. They were very cool about it and I probably couldn't have made it through the adaptation period without them. In preparation, I began practicing taking 20 minute naps during the day. During my 8 hour work day. With my naps at 8:30, 12:30, and 4:30, nobody would bother me at the beginning or end of my 8-5 shift, nor during lunch break. At the time I didn't know that you can easily move your naps an extra hour apart when you need to, so I could have gotten by just by napping right before and right after my shift started, while napping during lunch which is my own time anyway. So the average 8 hr work day is no problem at all. Anyway, this practice made adaptation so much easier and it went pretty smoothly. I would oversleep for 3-6 hrs every 3 days or so, but I'd attribute that to being careless with my alarms.

I continued this cycle (roughly) up until now. The net gain in time of course is well into the positive and I rarely feel tired when on schedule, and never tired when it mattered (like on the road). I was not very committed to napping right on time and when I didn't compensate it would eventually lead to tiredness, which would lead to me being careless about my alarm, or I'd actually zombie-mode to my alarm, turn it off, and go back to bed in the worst cases. It's easier to prevent this now with techniques I've developed such as mindgaming myself into not finding the alarm right away when I'm super tired. The only major disaster caused by oversleeping was missing my first 7:30am computer science class, and I almost lost my spot in the class. Other than that, I've had a whole lot of quality waking time and I have broken my habit of procrastination. I started to going the gym in the morning and eating healthier. I got Starcraft 2 and racked up 100 wins. I'm not quite up to productivity I'd hoped for yet (my expectations were a bit unreallistic) but it's a MAJOR improvement.

ok now I'll try to answer questions.

How does it work? How can you live on 2 hours of sleep per day?
First off, it's a little more than 2 hours. I actually take 24 min naps, the 4 min gives me time to fall asleep. Often I throw in an extra nap at night, too. Being flexible comes at a price, and I often oversleep. On average, it's more like 4 hrs a day, with 1 hr being during the day. Second, the way sleep works, you just need to wake after your REM cycle ends and you will feel well rested. What the Uberman schedule does is cause sleep deprivation for about a week, eventually training your body to fall asleep quickly and zip through other sleep stages right in REM sleep. The other sleep stages are not as essential, but you don't actually skip them, you just go through them very quickly. With my oversleeping I get plenty of deep sleep anyway.
You can tell you've had a perfect REM nap when you've had a dream and you wake up refreshed and are ready to get up and turn off the alarm. Sleeping for more than 20 min will cause you to finish your REM and enter deep sleep. Waking up during this time actually makes you MORE tired than if you woke up earlier. The key for ANY kind of sleep is to make sure you hit REM, and wake up at the end of the cycle. Normally it takes 3 hours or so to hit REM, but the sleep deprivation pushes your body to enter it after a few minutes. I get at LEAST 2 hours of almost pure REM sleep each day, which is the same amount as a someone sleeping normally.

oh and yes Cameron each day feels very long now.

There actually weren't that many questions o.o ok im done

Kira-

Smash Champion
More time than I could ever want. The idea to me almost felt similar to immortality. With that time I'd be able to achieve anything.
LOL I don't think you could make anything sound as epic as this did LOL ok im sold. well not really but like i said, if you keep this up for awhile i'll be impressed

Btw i feel you on the grades.... used to be me for awhile. really glad i was pulled out of that place but thats a long story

and omggg all of a sudden i have a crazy burst of energy. I'm soooo hyper right now someone fight me to the death

man someone teach me team game strategy in starcraft, they're like magnets, i dont get how they work

Signia

Smash Lord
Also, when you're adapting for the first week to Uberman's, you tend to be really irritable. Even if you tell yourself you won't be.
did you watch those links? they really are supposed to be pokemon

joeplicate

Smash Master
huh

i tried doing polyphasic sleep when i was in 9th grade

i was a wikipedia kid, and i had a bunch of unrealistic goals that i wanted to do. (read for 4 hours, play piano/guitar/bass 2 hours a day, still have time to **** around with computer/stepmania/school etc)

it didn't end very well =\
i just ended up being very sleep deprived and very depressed, but that was also due to other circumstances going on

i'm really interested to hear about your experiences, though, other than just "i have more energy" or w/e

what are some of the upsides and downsides? do you really, actually, 100% honestly sleep with only 2 hours of sleep per day and feel OK? do you feel mentally sharp, and do you feel like you're performing well at the gym, building muscle, sports, school, attention span....???

??

Signia

Smash Lord
i'm really interested to hear about your experiences, though, other than just "i have more energy" or w/e

what are some of the upsides and downsides? do you really, actually, 100% honestly sleep with only 2 hours of sleep per day and feel OK? do you feel mentally sharp, and do you feel like you're performing well at the gym, building muscle, sports, school, attention span....???

??
It's more than 2 hours, really. I take usually extra naps at night and regularly oversleep, sometimes on purpose. I usually feel great. Right now I have indigestion or stomach ache of some sort, that could be problematic. Too many poptarts, I think. Gotta eat healthier on this schedule, a downside, I guess. No caffeine, no drugs, no alchohol, unless you can deal with a crash. I got drunk 2 weeks ago and I overslept many times in a row afterward, a major setback. Just now feel fully recovered from that, but now I have this stomach ache... :/

I do feel mentally sharp

I rarely went to the gym before I started doing this but I feel like I am performing well and my abdominals feel stronger already (It's been 2 weeks so far)

attention span is actually better but that's more a result of increased confidence from my self-improvement

btw it's been a month and half since I started.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
LOL I don't think you could make anything sound as epic as this did LOL ok im sold. well not really but like i said, if you keep this up for awhile i'll be impressed

Btw i feel you on the grades.... used to be me for awhile. really glad i was pulled out of that place but thats a long story

and omggg all of a sudden i have a crazy burst of energy. I'm soooo hyper right now someone fight me to the death

man someone teach me team game strategy in starcraft, they're like magnets, i dont get how they work
Besides the rule of two people acting as one deal... there isnt much more to it besides funk strategies like resource sharing, wall-in to fast VRs on shared base, and other stuff like that...

my friend and i (im gold and he's worse) beat plats on the daily cause we played so much together we have like a shared timing window now

It's more than 2 hours, really. I take usually extra naps at night and regularly oversleep, sometimes on purpose. I usually feel great. Right now I have indigestion or stomach ache of some sort, that could be problematic. Too many poptarts, I think. Gotta eat healthier on this schedule, a downside, I guess. No caffeine, no drugs, no alchohol, unless you can deal with a crash. I got drunk 2 weeks ago and I overslept many times in a row afterward, a major setback. Just now feel fully recovered from that, but now I have this stomach ache... :/

I do feel mentally sharp

I rarely went to the gym before I started doing this but I feel like I am performing well and my abdominals feel stronger already (It's been 2 weeks so far)

attention span is actually better but that's more a result of increased confidence from my self-improvement

btw it's been a month and half since I started.
can you be more specific on how many hours you get a day? those extra hours at night make me wonder...

that sounds very bad.

is it?
in a sense.. technically, what ryan says is correct, they're only transition stages to REM, in which theyre technically not super significant in the sleep cycle (maybe besides stage 4 [deep sleep] which i feel is pretty important still) so its possible to kinda speed through them for maximal efficient sleep...

the thing that makes me worry about it is it's clearly not natural, our body rests the way it does for a reason that should be helpful in some way or form (otherwise we wouldnt be doing it) and it is that unnaturalness that can make uberman sleep cycle unhealthy... and which is why it requires a week and a half to prepare... which is also why we're wondering what will happen in the long run.. it may cause some abnormal side effects... maybe...

i know i didnt answer ****... but im a ******* so yeah.. too bad :p

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
The thing that makes me worry about it is it's clearly not natural; our body rests the way it does for a reason that should be helpful in some way or form (otherwise we wouldn't be doing it). It is that unnaturalness that can make polyphasic sleep unhealthy...And which is why it requires a week and a half to prepare...Which is also why we're wondering what will happen in the long run...It may cause some abnormal side effects...Maybe...
Isn't it possible that our body sleeps the way it does because of other factors aside from purely natural? Nature vs. Nurture, right?

For example, perhaps we sleep the way we do because in times without electricity, we had to do everything during the daytime when there was light. There was no reason to stay awake during the night because you could not do anything. Thus, society sleeps during the night. Continuing to do so after electricity was made accessible could be because we are saving more energy by not using lights at night and sleeping still. Or...perhaps we're just too lazy to change to polyphasic sleep. After all, on the strongest part of the keyboard (the home row), why do we only use those letters 30% of the time? ;)

P.S. Babies sleep polyphasically. I believe cats do as well.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Isn't it possible that our body sleeps the way it does because of other factors aside from purely natural? Nature vs. Nurture, right?

For example, perhaps we sleep the way we do because in times without electricity, we had to do everything during the daytime when there was light. There was no reason to stay awake during the night because you could not do anything. Thus, society sleeps during the night. Continuing to do so after electricity was made accessible could be because we are saving more energy by not using lights at night and sleeping still. Or...perhaps we're just too lazy to change to polyphasic sleep. After all, on the strongest part of the keyboard (the home row), why do we only use those letters 30% of the time? ;)

P.S. Babies sleep polyphasically. I believe cats do as well.
interesting point... apes sleep biphasically... so ape society tells them to sleep at night? or is the sun being out considered a nurture argument and goes against animal nature to sleep polyphasically?

sorry if it sounds mean or cluttered.. i just threw out my thoughts as i though them :/

also, dont babies sleep for like 16 hours a day? so even if it is polyphasically, theyre still getting their REM

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
IM DRUNK WOAH CAPS

I REALLT WANTED TO TURN THM ON FOR EFFECRT. I GUESS ILL TURN THEM OFF

HOW THE f.cuk IS PEANK REAPER A MOD

~
also furreal dave youre cute and i like youalot and

UBER-MAN is incredibly hilarious

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
also mr. reaper i mm'd you in my grandparents house like a year ago and beat your pnk falcon with my marth but i hear you tell the story in a differnt way: that you won !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom