• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

Jun.

Smash Lord
honestly if your laptops are overheating, that's just a design/engineering flaw. It just means that somewhere along the line of prototyping there was a lack of tests to ensure the product won't overheat. You can buy all the cooling pads/fans/trinkets but in the end its not your fault.

I might just be fanboying but my Thinkpad T400 never overheats from anything and the major source of heat if any is my 7200rpm harddrive and not the other internals. I also have another 5200rpm drive in the same laptop as a secondary hard drive and heat is still minimal. Most of the overheating issues I hear about commonly from Dells and HP's which probably don't go through as extensive testing as say thinkpads or even macbooks.

If you still have your warranty, I suggest calling someone and flipping out in a classy manner to try and get free stuff or a even a replacement. Customer service these days are usually pretty good at amending situations.

Jun.

Smash Lord
do you mean, "mending" situations? =p
doesn't amending make sense too?

well either way I've gotten a lot of free stuff / great service from lenovo at least every time i call them.

Free stuff all because of my baseless complaints
-free hard drive : "hard drive was freezing and being dumb"
-free replacement keyboard : "I read forums online and people are getting replacement keyboards due to flex"
-free ram : "I 'fried' my ram and my computer won't boot"

one time I needed their service from a bad BIOS flash
-lenovo sent a prepaid next day air box and my laptop was shipped and was fixed in a total of 2 days flat.

moral of the story. Take advantage of your warranties. You're technically paying for it.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
Thunder Cloud is amazing at this stuff, when I first came over to his place and saw his sick *** laptop. I came inside my pants at how cool his laptop is and how much of a sweet deal he got it as well.
LOL Jason. Owning a laptop doesn't mean I know it inside and out. You can't really custom assemble laptops, so that doesn't really imply I know what I'm talking about.

Kira, it's not hard to use thermal paste. There are pretty clear instructions on how to do it.
Laptops are trickier, and I have less experience with them. It's also not guaranteed to actually do anything, it's only a solution to one of many possible problems.

Kira-

Smash Champion
LOL sounds like it would be 20 times more hot after that

jun im pretty sure my laptop is old and extremely poorly taken care of but since it is a Dell you are probably right and it probably already sucked before i got it

edit - thanks thunder

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
try Arctic Silver 5 if you're going to do something like that, it's a good balance between price and effectiveness.

MacD

Banned via Administration
@ everyone, buy a can of air and spray your fan if you laptop is old, dust will accumulate and screw you over, i used to lag on anything over 480 on youtube and shows i would watch would randomly just lag at times

i blew the dust out with a can of air and now vids don't lag and starcraft doesn't lag, and if you saw how bad starcraft was, you'd understand how magical this is

before willy nilly taking apart your laptop, check a video or something to see how far down you're fan is, on my laptop, i'd have to take apart the whole laptop to get to the fan, not exactly a good idea unless you know what you are doing

@dave i left my screwdriver at cam's, it's on the side desk, it opens my laptop, i could bring it to grev or you could go to his house and try using it

Kira-

Smash Champion
I had an urge to inhale the can at home but then i didnt want to die so i didnt. there are much safer ways to get high

@dave i left my screwdriver at cam's, it's on the side desk, it opens my laptop, i could bring it to grev or you could go to his house and try using it
tight im just gonna completely open it up and clean everything out cause it will be more fun to take the risk and see what everything looks like

I really wanna practice teams for the arcadian tourney. and also like 3 backup characters for singles so i will probably be at camerons before saturday

JDM

Smash Champion
From the UCI Fight Night Group:

"Jeffrey Dee i just noticed someone (probably darryl) updated the info box of our group, that little text box right underneath the group picture and those links. for the record, if it is super smash bros melee, not only will i be open to play it, i will probably destroy everyone except mike salum. but **** brawl. that is all i wanted to say."

I then challenged everybody that posted to a $20 MM.

MacD

Banned via Administration
tight im just gonna completely open it up and clean everything out cause it will be more fun to take the risk and see what everything looks like

I really wanna practice teams for the arcadian tourney. and also like 3 backup characters for singles so i will probably be at camerons before saturday
just know, you have to put it back together afterwords lol, cause when i say i had to take mine completely apart, i mean it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKZmyed-3gY, just skip to the end

Incronaut

Smash Ace
hi! i miss you guys!!

but im sad that irvine is like the worst reputed region right now.. NOT the place to be..

but i do wanna get better so we should play!! (but time constraints are starting up soon :( )

THAT and im debating whether i want to get SC2 or not.. my half korean blood is hungry for zergling blood

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
extended warranty ***** so hard

i think mine is almost up

i should get my fans cleaned or w/e

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
me too

but you can still teach me mbaa

theres a very slight chance ill go to whatever irvine tourney is on sat,
but thats pending on how tired i am after working 530-1ish, and if i can sleep in the venue

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i'm not in irvine atm

i went to palmdale and i have a busted hand lol

you play bb:cs right?

james (xie) lives like 2 blocks away

he teaches me mbaa

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i play cs a little bit. i quite enjoy hazama, but i have very little experience. i spend most of my free time playing LoL, but now with 2 jobs and school idk how much time i will have for any gaming :O

Kira-

Smash Champion
Rei what happened to your hand?

Chris Irvine's not the worst by any means lol, don't take any of that stuff too seriously. smashboards is one big troll haven

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha i was about to say that

although it's the safest, it's not the easiest!
the high from meditation is decidedly more difficult to achieve than inhaling THC substances

DJMirror

Smash Master
Now that's some crazy *** t*ts. I'm not saying they're like big, can you image while you're having sex with that chick? like you can't see **** because those lasers blinding your eyes and ****.

**** that.

Top Bottom