• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
ff13 is pretty terrible though.

finish that at your own house jason haha. don't expose that bad game to the people around you!

DJMirror

Smash Master
I don't have a PS3 or a Xbox360 tho. Cameron bought the game.

The game is not terrible, I think it's pretty fun/good in a its own way. You have to play through the first hour or so to make it work.

It sucks that you have to control one character but like Connor said "It's like Kingdom Hearts but it's final fantasy"

Brian would you care to explain why you think it was a terrible game?

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
incredibly linear. i mean the first time you're even exposed to a side quest is chapter 11, and that is pretty ridiculous.

it follows the formula of save point/walk down a straight line/cutscene for the first few hours. it would be one thing if the level design and space control was better, but it felt like i saw the same **** over and over again before every save point, followed by a cutscene that didn't even have to be there. this was incredibly prominent throughout the first 9 hours of the game if i remember correctly, but wasn't AS bad when the map designs were a little more creative.

another thing that bothered me was that some battles took a really long time, and before you ask yes i was in the proper paradigm shifts with decent gear. one of the boss battles took about 10-12 minutes. it wouldn't have been a problem other than the fact that it was boring.

the game also felt pretty lonely to me considering there are hardly any npcs that you have any kind of relationship with. since there are hardly any towns all stores are digital, and most of the people you see are either running away from you or are clones of npcs everywhere.

i was pretty dissatisfied with my experience haha.

DJMirror

Smash Master
incredibly linear. i mean the first time you're even exposed to a side quest is chapter 11, and that is pretty ridiculous.

it follows the formula of save point/walk down a straight line/cutscene for the first few hours. it would be one thing if the level design and space control was better, but it felt like i saw the same **** over and over again before every save point, followed by a cutscene that didn't even have to be there. this was incredibly prominent throughout the first 9 hours of the game if i remember correctly, but wasn't AS bad when the map designs were a little more creative.

another thing that bothered me was that some battles took a really long time, and before you ask yes i was in the proper paradigm shifts with decent gear. one of the boss battles took about 10-12 minutes. it wouldn't have been a problem other than the fact that it was boring.

the game also felt pretty lonely to me considering there are hardly any npcs that you have any kind of relationship with. since there are hardly any towns all stores are digital, and most of the people you see are either running away from you or are clones of npcs everywhere.

i was pretty dissatisfied with my experience haha.
I'll admit that the linear is true but at same time it was straight to the point. Yes there was a few cut scene that was pointless. The story was hella random and way too confusing to follow at times. Some of the characters were cool but some of them were just plain....I don't know...semi annoying but later they get better imo. The soundtrack (beside the battle theme is overplayed way too much) are imo is pretty amazing. The Hope theme and this is your home song are pretty legit. Can't catch a break and Sazh's theme are pretty jazzy (in a good way) The artwork from Tetsuya Nomura is always amazing as usual.

The battle for me was really fast because I always go sneak up behind them and stagger them. I ended up finishing battles in like 1-3 minutes top. Then again, I level up like crazy so yeah..I really like the boss battles because they were really hard/long, they force you to make quick plays to buff/debuff/heal/attack etc even tho you maxed out your grid and have decent gear. This game is mostly trial and errors and I kept dying by having wrong shifts at times but I figured some stuff out that I was able to apply in the boss battles.

The gears to upgrade and stuff were really fun and unique. The battle system was also very unique because even tho you only correct 1 character but it forced you to make decisions that you need to do with a full atb bar. By chapter 7 ,with the correct shift, I kinda see the game becomes Rock (Def/heal), Paper (Mag), Scissor (atk) but in a nice fancy way with some twists like to beat a Paper/scissor combo from a boss, you need to do like Rock/Paper to beat it. (I know that sound dumb but that's how I see it)

There's more I want to say but I don't wanna turn this into a bid debate but these are my opinions.

This final fantasy did have alot of flaws but there some cool/unique stuff that put it in it own league. I would play this over FF9 for sure tho.

Lovage

Smash Hero
having never played ff13, brian, i'm just gonna say it BETTER be linear, it's a fuking final fantasy game

if i wanted an open adventure i'd play fallout 2, people play final fantasy because it's linear and simple

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
music and visuals are never a problem in ff so i agree with you on that.

staggering was iffy because as i'm sure you know, a bunch of enemies randomly turn around to stop your preemptive battle bonus. and even when you catch them while they aren't looking they sometimes turn just a bit and the battle doesn't count as preemptive.

the upgrade system was pretty fun but two problems. you can't really begin to seriously upgrade until chap 11, and there are a bunchhhhh of upgrade items that border on useless. the fight system is also fun, but like i said the paradigm shift loops in a boss battle sometimes go on for far too long.

the game does have some good points, but for an rpg crappy story/crappy character development and boring environments for the first 9 hours is a definite game killer.

you would really play this over ff9?! i wouldn't, but i also don't want to get into some long back and forth about ff9 haha.

edit: lovage there are different ways of designing a linear game. the first 9 hours of ff13 feel like you jumped into a bottomless pit. you literally run away from something for 9 hours, with nothing else to do. i'm sure you have played other rpgs. there is a world map, towns, other game mechanics to look forward to, but not in ff13. it's literally an endless map.

JDM

Smash Champion
Let's all stop fighting about which SquareEnix game is the best/worst etc.

Also I'll be gone tomorrow till Monday because i'm going to NorCal for vacation.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
Let's all stop fighting about which SquareEnix game is the best/worst etc.

Also I'll be gone tomorrow till Monday because i'm going to NorCal for vacation.
tell us more later on this new squareenix fighting game

Signia

Smash Lord
rpgs are like shallow action/strategy games with numbers that go up. Play fighting games, where the numbers... are in YOU

Though I am looking for a good single player game as a part of my spending spree from poker winnings, any suggestions?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
duuuuuuuude fire emblem has all the fun of numbers going up AND strategy.

if you're going to play one I'd suggest just emulating fe4 seisen no keifu since emulation is free and that's the only real way you can play it since it's a japan-only game with no expected translation anytime soon.

lowdown of the fire emblem series:

1-3: old, only worth playing if you're interested in the series after trying another one
4: really fun, maybe not the best one to start with but definitely up there
5: hard as ****, don't start with this one
6: this one is fun too, you play with roy and get the sword of ph1r3. emulation+translation patch because there is no english release.
7: this one's in english, so if you wanna buy it you can, this is a good standalone game.
8: easy mode, a nice one to start with if you're not familiar with strategy anything. you might feel it's too easy though.
9: on the gamecube, you can probably pick it up for pretty cheap. this one's fun also.
10: on the wii, probably not a good idea to start with it just because the plot is a continuation of 9.
shadow dragon: haven't played it myself but heard it's a decent translation of 3, so you can try it yourself and see if you like it. this one has marth.

Thundercloud

Smash Journeyman
I like RPGs. FF6 is probably the best Final Fantasy, in my opinion. FF13... I agree with a lot of what Fear said. Just.. bad. You're not really playing the game. Battles largely consist of "AUTO BATTLE" crap. Too much to say that's already been said, I won't bore anyone.

The best RPGs are probably the Tales series. It takes a more fighting game approach to it battles, so it's actually fun to fight stuff. Still waiting for a PS3 release of Vesperia... ****it.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I like RPGs. FF6 is probably the best Final Fantasy, in my opinion. FF13... I agree with a lot of what Fear said. Just.. bad. You're not really playing the game. Battles largely consist of "AUTO BATTLE" crap. Too much to say that's already been said, I won't bore anyone.

The best RPGs are probably the Tales series. It takes a more fighting game approach to it battles, so it's actually fun to fight stuff. Still waiting for a PS3 release of Vesperia... ****it.
Tales of Destiny 2 is like my favorite game of all time

<33333

Soooooo good

DJMirror

Smash Master
I can't wait for KOF XIII! I couldn't wait so I downloaded the OST =D

KOF XII was a huge disappointment to the series =[

Even with new graphics and such the game feel horrible. I bought the game the day it came out, took it to Cam's house, open it and pop it in his PS3, played it for 30 minutes, took it back to Gamestop and returned it.

JDM

Smash Champion
I would wait for the reviews if I were you.

There's already glitches and random BS in the Arcade version.

Kira-

Smash Champion
as far as rpgs go i like chrono trigger then ff6 then ff10. not many people will argue the first two but ff10 was great i dont get why some people didn't like it

you can't think of ff13 as a legit RPG that holds up the FF franchise name (in fact you shouldn't be doing this for any FF after 10). It's really just a waste of time (like most games) but it does a good job doing so, the battle system is really fun if you take advantage of all of its intricacies (and it has more than you'd expect). I had the lowest of expectations so I ended up enjoying the game.

Signia I'd do Mega Man X. It's similar to a fighting game since it's 2D and you have to recognize patterns and counter them effectively, and there's tech skill involved and it's not a walk in the park like a lot of other games. But also there's the progression of single player games that keeps you going and secrets and hidden items that make you buff and awesome. The music ***** too. ALSO I like how some of your actions in the game affect other environments, changing the way things happen as you progress. For this reason, I would recommend Chrono Trigger IF you decide to play an RPG, although it doesn't seem like you really want to. It's shorter too, so you're sitting through 15-18 hours of play rather than 40+. Also it doesn't beat you over the head with learning how the system even works before you can enjoy it like most RPGs, it's simple and fun and actually COOL. And we all like cool things so chrono trigger and MMX are your best bets. [edit - also has great music]

MGS is a great choice too, do 1 or 2. those are heavier on the story though and lighter on the action

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I feel like 13 is the most challenging of the series, getting 5 stars on everything requires changing your paradigms to fit every fight. You can't just faceroll everything, even if you have everything maxed.

And I haven't even tried killing a Long Gui yet, I have everything maxed and he kills me in a second -_-

DJMirror

Smash Master
I feel like 13 is the most challenging of the series, getting 5 stars on everything requires changing your paradigms to fit every fight. You can't just faceroll everything, even if you have everything maxed.

And I haven't even tried killing a Long Gui yet, I have everything maxed and he kills me in a second -_-
Long Gui are a *****.

Wait til you fight Adamantoise/Adamantortoise. Goddammit, it one shot my party everytime. like it does 7k+ with every stomp it does and I have to stagger both legs before I can take it down. Sadly it has like 3.5 million HP that resist all the elements in the game.....

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Staggering them is ez though, you can do it the easy way by summoning and making both legs go down instantly, or the hard way by killing them quickly with rav/rav/com.

Once you get everything maxed out, you have like 20k+ hp on everyone and snow has like 35k hp. It makes fights so much easier, Attacus was a ****ing joke.

blueb3rry

Smash Cadet

i agree with you on every point. ;)

DJMirror

Smash Master
Staggering them is ez though, you can do it the easy way by summoning and making both legs go down instantly, or the hard way by killing them quickly with rav/rav/com.
The quickest way I found is to just spam alot of debuffs like poison, stop, slow, deprotect, deshell, curse, impel, etc and spam Death with Vanille while have that one weapon that increase debuff to kill it. My fastest time on it was about 1 minute but it took alot tries tho.

Once you get everything maxed out, you have like 20k+ hp on everyone and snow has like 35k hp. It makes fights so much easier, Attacus was a ****ing joke.
That seem like a long time to do. Maxing everything out.....Because the CP points for stage 8/9/10 are so long. They're not hard, it's just time consuming.

Top Bottom