• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 8-Bit Ultimatum - A Mario Bros. Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
saying that you can get around hazards being the reason they dont matter is ********. Its like saying you can get around attacks to win games, sure, its true but its definitely not going to happen at all...let alone consistantly

you're gonna get hit...and you wont be able to avoid it

hazards shouldn't be allowed period, but thats a whole different discussion

when people say they dont like it as the basis of wanting it banned...did you ever stop to think that they dont like it FOR A REASON?
Saying that you can get around hazards, but you want them gone anyways because you can get hit by them is dumb too. Players don't sidestep the problem, they fight it.

There are ways to get around them, and yes, I understand that people are going to get hit by them anyways. It's only expected. Then again, the possibility of getting hit shouldn't be a reason to get banned. Should we ban the IC grab infinites because you can get grabbed by the Ice Climbers? How about Delfino Plaza because of the possibility of getting chain grabbed to the walk-off? It's basically the same thing. You make one mistake, you lose a stock. It's a heavy price to pay for one mistake, but things like that aren't alien to competitive Brawl. People don't like it, but then again, we don't ban things because people don't like it, we ban things because they're undoubtedly unsuitable for gameplay.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I played this stage quite a lot yesterday. I noticed that Falco is clearly too powerful here. His reflector can be spammed, providing a constant reflection. His reflector also has a hitbox, beating every critter that tries to reach him by walking.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I played this stage quite a lot yesterday. I noticed that Falco is clearly too powerful here. His reflector can be spammed, providing a constant reflection. His reflector also has a hitbox, beating every critter that tries to reach him by walking.
You can always go up and physically attack him, you know.

You can also bait his reflector and then throw a hazard at him during the cool-down.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That is the point, there is like 1 frame where he doesn't reflect so he can spam it. Also the hitbox is that big that you have to jump over it which is kinda hard when there is the ceiling in the way. Also if he has a turtle in his hands it's a free kill after the reflector hits you. It resembles the same thing as let's say Dedede on Eldin. The risk/reward ratio is off the roof.

Steam

Smash Hero
It doesn't need to combo, Steam.

It's simple really, you can just get close to them, attack normally if they use a reflector, and attack with the hazards if they don't use the reflector.

It's like mixing up low and mid attacks in other fighting games.
yes but you can see when people pick up items and it's quite easy to react to. This isn't like other 2D fighters where you can't really react quickly. you have plenty of time to react. Meanwhile characters without reflectors have to put themselves in a highly punishable position to simply avoid projectlies from anywhere, they might be screwed if the opponent has two projectlies nearby.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Well, there is always.
Bait reflector.
Hit with normal move during cool down.
And it's only a free kill if it trips...(what's the percentage for that? doesn't it only work at lower percents as well?) and shouldn't you be able to DI and tech it anyway?
Might have to try Falco next time I play on this stage.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I'll test the over-poweredness of Falco/Pit when I next find someone to play against.

Thank god, finally a legitimate reason to ban this stage.
Depends on how many characters are "over-powered"

If there's like 5-6 (fox,wolf,Falco,Pit,MK,perhaps Diddy as well? Lucas seems pretty good with PK thunder from a distance) then there's still a lot of versatility, and they're probably not that powerful compared to each other.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Depends on how many characters are "over-powered"

If there's like 5-6 (fox,wolf,Falco,Pit,MK,perhaps Diddy as well? Lucas seems pretty good with PK thunder from a distance) then there's still a lot of versatility, and they're probably not that powerful compared to each other.
Well, I don't think any other stage has only 6 viable characters.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No but really, his camp game is already strong enough. His lasers stop the items. Reflector has an active reflection hitbox and bounces them back with twice the strength, it's hard to survive such thing.

Yesterday, we played Falco against Rob on this stage. I have a turtle in my hand. I accidentally used sideB, Falco used shine, then the turtle got reflected back and forth many times, then it hit me, did like 200% and it was an instakill. That was awesome.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Yesterday, we played Falco against Rob on this stage. I have a turtle in my hand. I accidentally used sideB, Falco used shine, then the turtle got reflected back and forth many times, then it hit me, did like 200% and it was an instakill. That was awesome.
lololol

I remember getting a waddle doo kill once, something like the energy that it fires kept the player stuck and the turtle kept hitting him, sooo funny.

But yea falco does sound very powerful.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Here we have our problem with the stage and why it should be banned: To win, everyone will switch to Falco which is overcentralizing part of the stage. We do not force everyone to have a pocket Falco to do well if this was to be legal. BAN!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You can simply DI through Pit's abuse and then throw the shell from behind. Also, the SideB has a timelimit which you can wait out. Same for his downB. You can just wait and he has to stop the moves. BAM dead Pit.
Nothing is going to stop Falco.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What attack are you going to use against Falco when you have an item in your hand?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
One can technically use an item-smash (see the Link technique "bomb-smashing"), but that still doesn't change the fact that if Falco is holding an item in HIS hand, he's either going to throw the item, or reflector yours.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I said this earlier but people ignored me. :(

One can technically use an item-smash (see the Link technique "bomb-smashing"), but that still doesn't change the fact that if Falco is holding an item in HIS hand, he's either going to throw the item, or reflector yours.
To do this hold the A button down when you grab it, and hit the C stick left or right, ta da Bomb-Smashing.

Life

Smash Hero
SHFF z-drop to aerial, or glide-toss through Falco, tossing the item behind you, into a grab or other attack?

Also, crawling characters have a way to do dtilt, it's in the Pika boards under the "infinite on Diddy Kong" thread.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So you are forced to use a character who has an fsmash that beats shine or a character who can crawl under it? Sounds overcentralizing to the same level as not picking a char who can be chaingrabbed by Dedede in Eldin.

Life

Smash Hero
LzR, you clearly didn't read my post correctly. Characters can GT towards Falco (throwing the item whichever way they choose except forward), thus approaching itemless while Falco is in cooldown lag.

Characters with crawl don't have to crawl under the reflector, but crawling allows you to perform a dtilt while holding an item. (crouch-tilt forward slightly-A)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It doesn't have a hitbox on the way back, but the reflector is still active. So glidetossing past it by throwing down WOULD work, but it's still a massive pain in the balls, and most characters have short glidetosses.

As much as I don't want it to be legal for standard competitive play, I can't help but feel that it is.

That's why I want someone to prove that it's broken in practice so bad.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont think you really need to even practice to prove this isn't a legitimate stage....

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
napZzz, considering the only thing you have contributed to this thread is
a) Saying that you can't believe people are considering this stage
and
b) The ridiculously flawed argument about hazards being over-powered.

Would you care to actually provide a legitimate argument as to why it shouldn't be legal?

We are currently settling on the "characters are too powerful here" argument, but you seem to have other gripes with the stage.

napZzz

Smash Hero
its impossible to argue online,so I've basically given up (this is directed at any thread related to stages)

it seems everyone has a counterpoint to everything, regardless of how legitimate it is, so I'll save my time and just watch you dumb ****s argue over something so stupid. lmao

feel free to act conceited over me not giving a response, it clearly must mean you're right

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
its impossible to argue online,so I've basically given up (this is directed at any thread related to stages)

it seems everyone has a counterpoint to everything, regardless of how legitimate it is, so I'll save my time and just watch you dumb ****s argue over something so stupid. lmao

feel free to act conceited over me not giving a response, it clearly must mean you're right
If you've given up arguing online, then would you kindly GTFO rather than calling us dumb ****s and spamming?

Thanks.

Triple R

Smash Lord
So all I really got from skimming this thread was:
"You can't prove it's broken, so therefore it isn't broken."

Wow that sounds oddly familiar....

Oh yeah:
"You can't prove God doesn't exist, so therefore he does exist."

You guys have basically turned this into a religious debate lmao. Welcome to the world of bad logic and a never ending argument.

This argument will never end and this thread should be locked.

Too be real though, sometimes you just have to use common sense to come to a conclusion.

The answer is so obvious here.....

It doesn't have a hitbox on the way back, but the reflector is still active. So glidetossing past it by throwing down WOULD work, but it's still a massive pain in the balls, and most characters have short glidetosses.
I have never heard anyone say this, but I feel Falco's shine is out from frame one and will continue to reflect until the very last frame of cooldown lag. With that in mind, Falco can SH/FH with his reflector out. With a continuous stream of reflection and the ability to move, so long as falco keeps his reflector out, I do not think there is any legitmate way to hit falco if you have an item on hand. Unless you can get around him to hit his blindsides.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So all I really got from skimming this thread was:
"You can't prove it's broken, so therefore it isn't broken."

Wow that sounds oddly familiar....

Oh yeah:
"You can't prove God doesn't exist, so therefore he does exist."

You guys have basically turned this into a religious debate lmao. Welcome to the world of bad logic and a never ending argument.

This argument will never end and this thread should be locked.

Too be real though, sometimes you just have to use common sense to come to a conclusion.

The answer is so obvious here.....
Pretty good post. This definitely doesn't apply to all stages, but mario bros is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom