• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2012 Presidential Election: Who do you think will in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Also on the subject of Rick Santorum:
In 2005, a controversy developed over an article Santorum wrote in 2002 to a Catholic publication. In it, he said that liberalism and moral relativism in American society, particularly within seminaries, contributed to the Roman Catholic Church sex abuse scandal. He wrote, "...it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm."[77] The comments were widely publicized in June 2005 by the Philadelphia Daily News by columnist John Baer. He told readers, "I'd remind you this is the same Senate leader who recently likened Democrats fighting to save the filibuster to Nazis."[78] In Massachusetts, Santorum's remarks were heavily criticized, and on July 12, 2005, The Boston Globe called on Santorum to explain his statement. The newspaper reported that Robert Traynham, Santorum's spokesman, told him, "It's an open secret that you have Harvard University and MIT that tend to tilt to the left in terms of academic biases. I think that's what the senator was speaking to." A spokesman for Mitt Romney then Governor of Massachusetts, also rebuked the comments. Senator Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts) delivered a personal rebuke to Santorum on the Senate floor, saying "The people of Boston are to blame for the clergy sexual abuse? That is an irresponsible, insensitive and inexcusable thing to say."[79]
Santorum has stood by his 2002 article and to date, has not apologized. During the controversy, he said the statement about Boston was taken out of context and that the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee had targeted his article, written three years earlier, to coordinate with Kennedy's speech against him. Santorum continued to agree with the broader theme of a cultural connection, saying that it is "no surprise that the culture affects people's behavior. [...] the liberal culture—the idea that [...] sexual inhibitions should be put aside and people should be able to do whatever they want to do, has an impact on people and how they behave." He again agreed with the premise that it was "no surprise that the center of the Catholic Church abuse took place in very liberal, or perhaps the nation's most liberal area, Boston." He recalled mentioning Boston because in July 2002, he said, the outrage of American Catholics, as well as his own, was focused on the Archdiocese of Boston.
It's actually from the wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum#2006

rvkevin

Smash Lord
you guys realize that in about 2 weeks no ones going to know who Santorum is right?
Of course we will. How could we forget what happens when a politician is against gay rights? When you have your name inserted into the urban dictionary like that, the laughter will last for more than one campaign cycle. However, I take it that your point is that he will be irrelevant as it regards the Presidential election, as if he hasn't been all along. In which case I would agree with you.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
He did come second in Iowa though. I would say that he is going okay. I reckon it will take more than 2 weeks for him to bow out.

Aesir

Smash Master
going second in Iowa when your front runner is Romney and the person below you is Ron Paul is hardly what I call "going strong" He's gonna die out and fast it'll be funny just enjoy the show.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
NNID
Budget_Player
from another message board said:
{regarding a previous conversation on republican obstructionism}
I don't know we will have to ask the Republican majority in the Senate and House in 2014. If they are making similar excuses then they will face the consequences. A good politician like Reagan or even Clinton can disagree but find ways to get enough people on both sides together to form a compromise. Obama doesnt understand the right so its little wonder he has done such a poor job in working with them. This is another reason why I think Romney would be a much more effective President, he isnt an idealogue like many of the GOP candidates. Romney is a Conservative (technically) from a very liberal state. He knows liberals, he knows conservatives. He can work with both. Reagan likewise had experience working with liberals just as Clinton had experience working with conservatives. Obama is a Chicago politician who has never been forced into a position where he needs to work with both sides, at least until now.
All. Of. My. Hate.

Aesir

Smash Master
Yeah, to bad he's done nothing but compromise and they just say no.

Seriously he can go **** himself.

To bad for this guy Romney switches positions more often than Lady Gaga switches appearances.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That's my problem with mittens. He's one of the candidates that say what they think people want to hear in order to get elected. I mean I suppose that's part of being a politician, but you're not supposed to be so dang obvious about it.

Aesir

Smash Master
Probably because most people think the president can do everything and anything and not realize that he has about as much real political power as Pippa Middleton.

Aesir

Smash Master
The president is not going to veto the NDAA, nor should he for the simple concept that it would basically shut down so many services for veterans and military workers.

This is a good reason why the President should have a line item veto power, it would likely deter this type of legislation stuffing you constantly see.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
The president is not going to veto the NDAA, nor should he for the simple concept that it would basically shut down so many services for veterans and military workers.

This is a good reason why the President should have a line item veto power, it would likely deter this type of legislation stuffing you constantly see.
I highly disagree with you. I believe he should have vetoed it and they would have fought over it, but still passed something, except this time it wouldn't have this stupid provision in the bill they hacked onto it.

-blazed

Aesir

Smash Master
You really think, republicans would let that slide? They would spend at least a few weeks arguing how the president doesn't care about veterans and how he hates america and all that garbage. It's a political calculation, can't really vote no on these things when they're attached to sacred cows in the budget, if you do you end up like Jimmy Carter no one wants that.

Republicans number 1 priority is to make Obama a one term president, and that along with the economy would have done a pretty good job of making that a reality.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have to agree with Aesir. You can't not pass a military budget. He issued a signing statement when he signed it on 12/31/11 which clearly illustrates -his- administration won't use it to improperly "disappear" people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2012

However, the ACLU is more afraid of what future administrations may do with this provision. It's potentially a double edged sword, this bill. Given the economy, I would say that Obama is looking at a strong fight for a 2nd term, if and only if the republicans can produce a candidate who's not worse, and only if he's able to convince enough Americans that he's done the right thing.

It should be noted that the economy is actually getting better. It may not seem like it, but Obama's making good on his promises. I think the only realm in which he's lacking a lot in is the LGBT vote.... but he's pretty much decided to just not go there I think. It was enough to repeal DODT (finally) but to declare marriage equality, yeah, I think that's never gonna happen.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
You really think, republicans would let that slide? They would spend at least a few weeks arguing how the president doesn't care about veterans and how he hates america and all that garbage. It's a political calculation, can't really vote no on these things when they're attached to sacred cows in the budget, if you do you end up like Jimmy Carter no one wants that.
Isn't the constitution America's sacred cow? If someone attaches something to a bill that the country should not be in favor for, which ultimately sinks the bill that has really important features in it, then the President can highlight that fact. It's almost like only Republicans are the only ones that use the media...It's available to Democrats too, so they should counter their points if they have the facts on their side. He can vote no and then explain why it is best for the country to stand strong by her principles while simultaneously exposing those who want to sacrifice liberty for security. After all, it was Ben Franklin who said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Aesir

Smash Master
Isn't the constitution America's sacred cow? If someone attaches something to a bill that the country should not be in favor for, which ultimately sinks the bill that has really important features in it, then the President can highlight that fact. It's almost like only Republicans are the only ones that use the media...It's available to Democrats too, so they should counter their points if they have the facts on their side. He can vote no and then explain why it is best for the country to stand strong by her principles while simultaneously exposing those who want to sacrifice liberty for security. After all, it was Ben Franklin who said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

There are two types of people in the US people who understand politics and people who understand law. The people who understand law never really get far. Yes what you say is true however sometimes doing the right thing, isn't doing the right thing. (quoted for a bad movie LOL)

Anyway, yes he could have said no and legally would of had a upper hand, but that means nothing if the entire country or at least a large voting block thinks your Stalin incarnate. Sorry to burst every ones bubble but we don't live in a rational society we live in an era of sound bite politics where stupid is the driving force.

also your point assumes that Democrats are good at playing politics, look at the medicare thing a few months back. Democrats could have hit them back a lot harder, but they didn't. They suck at politics, they need to hire liberal Karl Roves if they want to play this game with Republicans. Or just get better at showing how dumb the other party is. OR every better, democrats stop blasting each other when we disagree, that could work too. Nothing worse than watching democrats eating each other alive that's always fun.

I'm ranting now, sorry.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
I call your rant.
Aesir said:
There are two types of people in the US people who understand politics and people who understand law. The people who understand law never really get far. Yes what you say is true however sometimes doing the right thing, isn't doing the right thing. (quoted for a bad movie LOL)
I understand that it might not be in his self-interest, but it would be in the best interest of the country. I think that Matt Damon was right when he said that he would prefer a "one term President with some balls." I'm tired of hearing the excuse, well that's politics. He promised not to play the game, and that he was going to change the nature of the game. This was the platform he was elected on, and he failed to deliver. Instead, it's more of the same political BS.
Anyway, yes he could have said no and legally would of had a upper hand, but that means nothing if the entire country or at least a large voting block thinks your Stalin incarnate. Sorry to burst every ones bubble but we don't live in a rational society we live in an era of sound bite politics where stupid is the driving force.
And these people voted against him before and will vote against him regardless of what he does so it shouldn't be a factor in his decision making process. The only way it could be considered is if he thinks it will win him votes from this demographic that has an irrational prejudice against him. If this is the case, I'm not sure who is more irrational. It's like the Vulcan straw-man of rationality.
Also your point assumes that Democrats are good at playing politics, look at the medicare thing a few months back.
I agree that the Democrats are horrible at influencing public opinion. Let's say that you would excuse Democrats for caving to Republican demands since Republicans have won the public opinion and it is the politically correct move to make, it is still their failure for letting that happen. Imagine if a politician conceded every time they had an attack ad played against them? They would get nowhere. Instead, they run ads of their own platform and call out opponents for making inaccurate statements about them. When it comes to major issues, it should be no different. Democrats should counter the talking points and they haven't; for that, they have failed.

Aesir

Smash Master
I call your rant.I understand that it might not be in his self-interest, but it would be in the best interest of the country. I think that Matt Damon was right when he said that he would prefer a "one term President with some balls." I'm tired of hearing the excuse, well that's politics. He promised not to play the game, and that he was going to change the nature of the game. This was the platform he was elected on, and he failed to deliver. Instead, it's more of the same political BS.
This is the same president, who got binladin, saved the auto industry, saved 400,000 jobs, repealed DADT, ignores the DOMA, ended the Iraq War, along with a bunch of other campaign promises.

Maybe it's his base that needs to cut it's expectations down, expecting a president, to be an outsider when he needs to be on the inside to get anything done is a tad bit unreasonable.

And these people voted against him before and will vote against him regardless of what he does so it shouldn't be a factor in his decision making process. The only way it could be considered is if he thinks it will win him votes from this demographic that has an irrational prejudice against him. If this is the case, I'm not sure who is more irrational. It's like the Vulcan straw-man of rationality.
It's not really about those votes, it's about the swing voters, it's about the voters who listen to sound bite politics. The ones who may not think the's stalin incarnate but the ones who think they might be better with Mitt Romney. (as much as that's a far cry. However! you don't want to take chances.)

I agree that the Democrats are horrible at influencing public opinion. Let's say that you would excuse Democrats for caving to Republican demands since Republicans have won the public opinion and it is the politically correct move to make, it is still their failure for letting that happen. Imagine if a politician conceded every time they had an attack ad played against them? They would get nowhere. Instead, they run ads of their own platform and call out opponents for making inaccurate statements about them. When it comes to major issues, it should be no different. Democrats should counter the talking points and they haven't; for that, they have failed.
I'm not gonna disagree here, but unless you start making major advancements in the science of time travel and can perform a flawless inception on the president, then it's best not to think about the passed and coulda woulda stuff.

That's just what I think at least.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
This is the same president, who got binladin, saved the auto industry, saved 400,000 jobs, repealed DADT, ignores the DOMA, ended the Iraq War, along with a bunch of other campaign promises.
I don't see why the death of Bin Laden should be seen as a good thing. When it happened, I likened it to a compulsive gambler who hit a small jackpot of $100 after sinking $1,000 into the machine as if that makes up for the string of bad decisions leading up to that small victory. It doesn't. This is the sort of thing that I am advising against. Sinking billions of dollars, causing countless human misery, for what? A headline that says "We got him!" so that he can get re-elected? The cost is hidden by the news with only the positive result shown. When placed in the big picture, it is not an achievement; but an illustration of what is wrong with this country. As for the Iraq War, I think the promise was to end our overseas wars, not to shift our focus to another country.

I don't know what ignoring DOMA means. DOMA is basically the doctrine that marriage is defined as between a man and a women. Does this mean that he is now allowing homosexuals to marry? I think that would have made headlines... I'll give him a little credit on DADT. However, passing legislation that represents three-quarters of the country isn't really taking a stand; it's what we should expect. If you can't pass legislation that has bipartisan support, then you should not be a politician.

As for the auto car bailout, that is a small success that is completely overshadowed by the disaster known as TARP.
Maybe it's his base that needs to cut it's expectations down, expecting a president, to be an outsider when he needs to be on the inside to get anything done is a tad bit unreasonable.
We weren't exactly the one who set those expectations. Ever hear the phrase "under promise and over deliver"? When you make such a large promise, you set yourself up to fail. If he knew he couldn't keep his promise, he should have not made it in the first place.
It's not really about those votes, it's about the swing voters, it's about the voters who listen to sound bite politics. The ones who may not think the's stalin incarnate but the ones who think they might be better with Mitt Romney. (as much as that's a far cry. However! you don't want to take chances.)
If it's about the voters who listen to sound bites, then provide sound bites. What is Obama's counter sound bite to the passing of NDAA? That he won't indefinitely detain American citizens under his administration? Really, that's a counter to something unconstitutional?

blazedaces

Smash Lord
I don't see why the death of Bin Laden should be seen as a good thing. When it happened, I likened it to a compulsive gambler who hit a small jackpot of $100 after sinking $1,000 into the machine as if that makes up for the string of bad decisions leading up to that small victory. It doesn't. This is the sort of thing that I am advising against. Sinking billions of dollars, causing countless human misery, for what? A headline that says "We got him!" so that he can get re-elected? The cost is hidden by the news with only the positive result shown. When placed in the big picture, it is not an achievement; but an illustration of what is wrong with this country. As for the Iraq War, I think the promise was to end our overseas wars, not to shift our focus to another country.
Wow, talk about unrealistic expectations. How exactly with our current political atmosphere was he going to pull off more than ending the war in Iraq? Already Republicans all claim it was a bad decision. Hell, Rick Perry wants to send troops back there. How exactly do you want him to go about doing more than he already has?

I don't know what ignoring DOMA means. DOMA is basically the doctrine that marriage is defined as between a man and a women. Does this mean that he is now allowing homosexuals to marry? I think that would have made headlines... I'll give him a little credit on DADT. However, passing legislation that represents three-quarters of the country isn't really taking a stand; it's what we should expect. If you can't pass legislation that has bipartisan support, then you should not be a politician.
Naive idealism. What is this nonsense? You honestly feel the Republicans up in Washington have anything close to "bipartisan support"? Did you actually follow the repeal of DADT? Do you have any idea how much BS it had to go through? They honestly wasted so much money and time on a stupid STUDY on this garbage! And there are politicians like Santorum who want to turn back the clock on it. Why can't you be actually happy about a victory in the right direction? What, did you think change was going to happen overnight?

As for the auto car bailout, that is a small success that is completely overshadowed by the disaster known as TARP.
Continuing to downplay every success...

We weren't exactly the one who set those expectations. Ever hear the phrase "under promise and over deliver"? When you make such a large promise, you set yourself up to fail. If he knew he couldn't keep his promise, he should have not made it in the first place.
Hello, he's a politician. Candidates can't possibly under-promise, they can't win that way. And to be quite blunt, what he has had to face with the party of no (the Republicans) has NEVER had to be faced BY ANY OTHER PRESIDENT IN ALL TIME. Seriously, the filibustering hit record numbers WITHIN HIS FIRST YEAR as president. How could he possibly have predicted how hard it would be to pass anything?

If it's about the voters who listen to sound bites, then provide sound bites. What is Obama's counter sound bite to the passing of NDAA? That he won't indefinitely detain American citizens under his administration? Really, that's a counter to something unconstitutional?
Since my position on this has already been said, I'm sticking with it. I still say the President should have vetoed the NDAA as it was. There were harder battles fought before over smaller issues. I'm informed and entirely not convinced it was absolutely necesssary, even if I understand the point of view Aesir explained.

-blazed

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Wow, talk about unrealistic expectations. How exactly with our current political atmosphere was he going to pull off more than ending the war in Iraq? Already Republicans all claim it was a bad decision. Hell, Rick Perry wants to send troops back there. How exactly do you want him to go about doing more than he already has?
It has about the same level of support in the country as the removal of troops from Iraq. It doesn't really matter what Republican opponents say since renewing operating in Iraq (even if Iraqi forces are not able to maintain security) is not supported by Americans by a 2-1 margin.
Naive idealism. What is this nonsense? You honestly feel the Republicans up in Washington have anything close to "bipartisan support"? Did you actually follow the repeal of DADT? Do you have any idea how much BS it had to go through? They honestly wasted so much money and time on a stupid STUDY on this garbage! And there are politicians like Santorum who want to turn back the clock on it. Why can't you be actually happy about a victory in the right direction? What, did you think change was going to happen overnight?
My mistake, I was talking about Republican voters. A super majority of the country was in favor of its removal so he has the support of both Democrats and a large chunk of Republicans. If he doesn't have support in Washington, then take it to the public, they are on his side. If he's after swing voters, then highlight issues like these. Not only highlight he fact that it is discriminatory, but highlight the fact that we are discharging soldiers after we contribute a lot of capital in training them and then highlight the fact that Republicans are, as you say, wasting resources on "studying" this issue. After all, the people side with him on this issue so highlight the fact that the Republican party is not acting with the America's interests in mind. Like I keep on saying, results are not the goal here, it's the decision making process being considered. If he can't pass the appropriate legislation because he is being railroaded, then he needs to take a different route. However, he's not taking that route, which is why he's taking flack for it.
Continuing to downplay every success...
One bailout totaled 14 billion dollars. One bailout totaled 770 billion dollars. This is simple enough reason to place emphasis of one over the other.
Hello, he's a politician. Candidates can't possibly under-promise, they can't win that way. And to be quite blunt, what he has had to face with the party of no (the Republicans) has NEVER had to be faced BY ANY OTHER PRESIDENT IN ALL TIME. Seriously, the filibustering hit record numbers WITHIN HIS FIRST YEAR as president. How could he possibly have predicted how hard it would be to pass anything?
I agree, but you haven't been listening to what I have been saying. He should make this transparent. Make those who railroad efforts to help the American people accountable for the next election term by highlighting these actions. The Democratic party hasn't been doing this, which is part of the criticism directed at them. Let's say that the Republicans refused to cooperate with him every step of the way and Obama stuck to his principles, meaning that no legislation had passed (and then try to win in the court of public opinion); I would prefer that to conceding victories to the Republicans with little to show for it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Make those who railroad efforts to help the American people accountable for the next election term by highlighting these actions.
I'm sure he will as the general election comes closer, but in the meantime, I really get the feeling his strategy is simply to sit back and let the republicans talk themselves out of a possible chance for victory. What I mean is...

The more the republican candidates open their mouths, the less likely they are to be electable. I know it may resemble a snide remark, but it's truth; the republicans just cannot govern their mouths with any kind of efficacy. Eventually, they all come around and say something or many things that washes away any real support they may have. Only mittens -the establishment's choice- is averaging the same as always, top or near-top, and it's been said he's got no chance against Obama (though I'm not so sure...)

I realize this can't go on forever, of course. Eventually Obama -will- have to step up, and start making counters to the "faults" in his administration as president. But for now I think he's safe. The biggest objection is the Economy, and it's becoming a ... a meme if you will. If you talk demographics and geography, the US isn't doing too bad right now, money wise. People spent upwards of 25 billion in online shopping this past holiday, up 15% from 2010. The housing market still sucks, but that's because people are consolidating their assets, waiting for ... well I think they're waiting for Occupy Wallstreet to have a real effect, but that's another debate. In general the economy is not as bad, but it's bad if someone needs to point a finger at something.

"Why are you late to work?"

"The economy, man."

"?"

Really, I mean it's become the go-to excuse for everything that's wrong with the country and it's frankly getting stale. Joblessness, okay... sure. There's lots of people out of work. Or is it that there are lots of people milking the system? Obama has to contend with both possibilities and find some mid-ground where he doesn't cut hack and slash benefit funding, and creates jobs, and somehow work around tax hikes, and deal with republicans demanding tax cuts.

That's another thing, why do republicans think cutting taxes and shrinking government will be good for job creation? There's approximately 75,000 employees at Northrup Grumman, and you know what? They're all relying on government contracts, mainly military, for their jobs. These republicans don't care. That's why Mitt is the "establishment" choice... the old-school republicans who aren't fringe thinkers, out-there like Bachman or Santorum or Perry or gosh, Paul.... >< Mitt won't do ******** things. He's an *******, to be sure, a money bagging *******, but maybe that's what we need for the time being, I dunno.

His handling of Bain is bad though... apparently he saw fit to ship a bunch of business over to China. Tsk Tsk, not good. There's some MSNBC contributor who swore it doesn't matter if the labor is in China or here, that buying "made in the USA" is not the best thing for the economy. His reasoning was that by buying cheaper China products, your money is more freed up to do other things with, so this = a stronger better economy. Even with the potential for jobs loss in the US due to production going down, that just frees up more people to get jobs in sectors that need them.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Sucumbrio said:
I'm sure he will as the general election comes closer, but in the meantime, I really get the feeling his strategy is simply to sit back and let the republicans talk themselves out of a possible chance for victory.
While this may be the case, it sure is disconcerting for those of us who are not being distracted by the Republican circus.

Aesir

Smash Master
Well Blazed sorta covered everything I wanted to say LOL.

Idealism vs Pragmatism welcome to american liberalism. The only thing I would add is, as a politician who's up for reelection you don't risk looking soft on foreign policy, not only would vetoing look like he's soft it also opens him up to silly complaints. You may scuff at these and go "no rational person would take those serious" I need to remind you, democrats lost the house by a good 60+ seats if I remember correctly. Based completely "they're socialists ruining this country, where are the jobs!!!" and Granny Death panels and the like. That's how republicans won, by being obstructionists and acting like children.

This idea that the american public is rational enough to see bad arguments and childish rants is so far from the truth, it's like saying Ronald Reagan killed communism. The current political climate is pretty much pre-school now.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
It has about the same level of support in the country as the removal of troops from Iraq. It doesn't really matter what Republican opponents say since renewing operating in Iraq (even if Iraqi forces are not able to maintain security) is not supported by Americans by a 2-1 margin.
What exactly has the same level of support? I'm just confused about what you're referring to here.

My mistake, I was talking about Republican voters. A super majority of the country was in favor of its removal so he has the support of both Democrats and a large chunk of Republicans. If he doesn't have support in Washington, then take it to the public, they are on his side. If he's after swing voters, then highlight issues like these. Not only highlight he fact that it is discriminatory, but highlight the fact that we are discharging soldiers after we contribute a lot of capital in training them and then highlight the fact that Republicans are, as you say, wasting resources on "studying" this issue. After all, the people side with him on this issue so highlight the fact that the Republican party is not acting with the America's interests in mind. Like I keep on saying, results are not the goal here, it's the decision making process being considered. If he can't pass the appropriate legislation because he is being railroaded, then he needs to take a different route. However, he's not taking that route, which is why he's taking flack for it.
I recall him asking for public support in other situations, for example with the debt ceiling negotiations. I recall him making public statements urging the public to take action. The result didn't change very much. What exactly do you expect him to do? Ask the public to do what exactly? What can they do if the people they elected are acting like morons?

One bailout totaled 14 billion dollars. One bailout totaled 770 billion dollars. This is simple enough reason to place emphasis of one over the other.
I'm not familiar enough with this to know exactly what you're talking about. There's a number of reasons the bailout was a success and a number of reasons you could say it was a failure. The biggest example I can think of is the fact that the bailouts to the banks were interest-free and had no restrictions on what they can be used on, so all the banks just invested the money in high-risk securities instead of, oh, I don't know, giving people loans. I haven't researched why in the world this is true, I just heard it once on the news.

I agree, but you haven't been listening to what I have been saying. He should make this transparent. Make those who railroad efforts to help the American people accountable for the next election term by highlighting these actions. The Democratic party hasn't been doing this, which is part of the criticism directed at them. Let's say that the Republicans refused to cooperate with him every step of the way and Obama stuck to his principles, meaning that no legislation had passed (and then try to win in the court of public opinion); I would prefer that to conceding victories to the Republicans with little to show for it.
Ok, so I agree with your frustration with the Democratic party absolutely failing to play the media well with this, but I disagree with your preference. I absolutely do not prefer the idea of passing no legislation whatsoever. I also really hate this idea of "sticking to your principles". This is an ideological line of thinking in which your "principles" are always right, no matter what evidence exists to the contrary. I don't buy this. I know most Americans like this whole "principle" garbage, but I think it's one of the problems we face in politics that I doubt is ever going to end. We should be making the smart choice based on what we know, not sticking to mostly corrupt "principles".

That's another thing, why do republicans think cutting taxes and shrinking government will be good for job creation? There's approximately 75,000 employees at Northrup Grumman, and you know what? They're all relying on government contracts, mainly military, for their jobs. These republicans don't care. That's why Mitt is the "establishment" choice... the old-school republicans who aren't fringe thinkers, out-there like Bachman or Santorum or Perry or gosh, Paul.... >< Mitt won't do ******** things. He's an *******, to be sure, a money bagging *******, but maybe that's what we need for the time being, I dunno.
In my opinion it stems from our 2-party polarized system. On the right is the list of ideas you mentioned above. There exists almost zero evidence to support it, but people like the sound of it, so they latch onto it. And because people latch onto it, it's the same mantra that politicians have been touting for the last few decades or further back I'm not sure.

While this may be the case, it sure is disconcerting for those of us who are not being distracted by the Republican circus.
We are few and therefore don't represent a lot of votes.

Idealism vs Pragmatism welcome to american liberalism. The only thing I would add is, as a politician who's up for reelection you don't risk looking soft on foreign policy, not only would vetoing look like he's soft it also opens him up to silly complaints. You may scuff at these and go "no rational person would take those serious" I need to remind you, democrats lost the house by a good 60+ seats if I remember correctly. Based completely "they're socialists ruining this country, where are the jobs!!!" and Granny Death panels and the like. That's how republicans won, by being obstructionists and acting like children.

This idea that the american public is rational enough to see bad arguments and childish rants is so far from the truth, it's like saying Ronald Reagan killed communism. The current political climate is pretty much pre-school now.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think you're seeing correlation and assuming causation with how the republicans won. I think it has more to do with the fact that people are frustrated with the current situation, and being too uninformed find it's easier to blame whoever is in power now. My father is Republican and so are almost all of his friends. No one I've ever met is that far right. It's just that there are only two sides, and since people felt they didn't like the results of one side they would vote for the other. That's my opinion on it anyway.

-blazed

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
@rvkevin.

I would just like to make the point that TARP was signed into law by Bush right at the end of his term. And the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act almost halved the amount that was authorised to be spent. The later was sponsored by Obama. Don't blame him for things he isn't responsible for.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Newt Gingrich has won the South Carolina Primary, with Mitt Romney second and Rick Santorum at third ahead of Ron Paul. I'll be interested to know what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom