• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2010 DK Tournament Results thread - (New update - 3/3/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silfa

Smash Ace
7th of 29 at This Is It. 31/01/10

In the first set I lost, I realised that I had never truly felt the wrath of tornado haha. It was an interesting experience.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I got 4 out of 12 at The Super Smash Bowl. Low attendance but almost every power ranked person from GA was present and 2 from Alabama (their 1st and 4th). http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264426

I lost to GA's number 1 (Falco) and Alabama's number 1 (PT). I beat Bama's num 1 the first time but lost the second time. Oh well... I still did well.

EDIT: Oh yeah... has to be above 15 to count right? Oh well... next tournament then...

i1337

Smash Ace
lol, ill get top 8 soon. >_>

17th of 65 - LBT2 Unity, 2/6/10, singles.

1: Ally
2: Holynightmare
3: Silverdoc
4: KingAce
5: Swordguard
5: Hype
7: Ambrose
7: F00l
9: T.O. Joe
9: KingKong
9: Shifou
9: Mikey
13: GI
13: Kuenzel
13: Raidos
13: Illiad
17: Ham n Eggs
17: Dimmy
17: Buenob
17: HingHussle
17: TinMan
17: RyanFTW
17: i1337
17: AvariceX
25: Infzy
25: Rye
25: Tippr
25: Jerk
25: SRTM
25: MightyChir
25: Phiddlesticks
25: Josk

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Valentine's Day Beatdown
02/13/10
UNT, Denton, TX
25 entrants

1. Sethlon(Meta)
2. Dphat(Meta, Wario)
3. Bwett(Diddy)
4. Take(Marth)
5. UTD Zac(GW)
5. Angel(Snake)
7. Pheonix Alpha(Lucas)
7. Cross Jeremiah(Sheik)
9. TheSherv(Toon)
9. Saber(Sheik)
9. Chuky(GW)
9. Shuz(Kirby)
13. Khaoz(Sonic)
13. Teh Brettster(Ike)
13. Honkey Kong(DK)
13. Denti(Lolimar)
17-25. Random Scrub(idk, like wolf or something)

good tourney advice: don't lose in 70:30 matchups in your favor. i did.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Well... 9 out of 31 at "That Ain't Falco" tournament in Alabama. http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9622755&postcount=484

I did very well in pools but got kind of bracket *****. First match was against a good DDD (who I came very close to beating) and then had another DDD/Wario then number 1 in Georgia kismet, a Falco. I almost beat kismet though, it came really close but I lost 1-2.

I learned a lot of things this weekend though and I had an extremely good idea about a technique using Cargo throw that I haven't heard others mention before that I'm going to talk to some people about. It really owned in Pools.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I was going to wait until I had a few more tournament results to post anything, so here are my most recent two placements:

Singles
Will: 9 out of 51- Gauntlet- NY, NY

Will: 4 out of 17- Fusion 0.5- Egg Harbor, NJ

Here is the singles bracket for Fusion 0.5: http://allisbrawl.com/brackets/bracket7678.gif

Doubles
Will and Kirin (DK and Mario/Link)- 7 out of 15- Gauntlet- NY, NY

Will and Blackanese (DK and Game and Watch)- 3 out of 9- Fusion 0.5- Egg Harbor, NJ

Here is the doubles bracket for Fusion 0.5 (we entered as Bang Bros. LOL): http://allisbrawl.com/brackets/bracket7676.gif

ook

Smash Lord
Guess I'll continue the streak of DKs getting 9th...

9 of 66 at Angry Shinobi Circus

Second round, I 3-stocked Boss's luigi (some east coast people came, and they GOT WRECKED by Midwest! :laugh:), so that felt good. :)
Then I had to face ****ing Lain and the stupid ice climbers, then in losers I had to face Arty and his stupid ice climbers too.

****ing ice climbers

I dunno what to do. They hard counter me or somethin.
the way they can kill you at any point in your stock just for getting too close to them... it just goes against the very nature of how I play brawl :(

updated

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266118

tom nook is Korn
Logic is SSR
Phil and waffles and Tant were also there.

singles and doubles.

crifer

Smash Lord
pretty good results for DK,
I´m Single since 3 days after 2,5 years, so I´m now **** ready to represent DK in Germany.
I probably go to at least 2 tourneys in the summer.

Cable

Smash Lord
Ive been slacking im going to go to alot of tournys this season and try to get awesome results hopefully :)

And ook i feel your pain i faced Lain in pools at Pound and his IC's ***** me LOL idk how to fight them. But i believe DK does good in that matchup tho it isnt bad you just have to know what your doing and be careful.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
yea, i mm'ed cura(he uses ice climber) last saturday. frankly, it was a very close set (took him to game 3, last stock as well) i use down tilt more than often in this particular matchup and it greatly helped.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ive been slacking im going to go to alot of tournys this season and try to get awesome results hopefully :)

And ook i feel your pain i faced Lain in pools at Pound and his IC's ***** me LOL idk how to fight them. But i believe DK does good in that matchup tho it isnt bad you just have to know what your doing and be careful.
I think RIpple had that MU down. He did a really good overview in former Match-up threads, search for them.

ripple said:
alright guys let me first say that this match up is most likely 55-45 for the ICs and we probably know why its slightly in their favor. *coughchaingrabtospikecough* you may be thinking that this match up is impossible and if your inexperienced, it is. you must limit the moves you use in this match up very strictly.

the order of most to least movers used in this match are as follows.

1st. Down B
2nd. D tilt
3rd. SA Punch
4th. Grounded Up B
5th. bair
6th. F smash

do not use any other move unless circumstances call for it such as the ICs being on a platform(up smash) or the shield is severely diminished(side b). you must make sure to hit with these attacks or you may be heavily punished for it.

move discussion and explanation

you're probably wondering to yourself "why do we have to limit our move set so much Rip?" well, I'll tell you why. its because you MUST use attacks that don't have much lag or they have an insane about of shield pressure otherwise you are going to get grabbed, and the above moves are the only ones that are good enough for the job. lets discuss each one now.

1. Down B: this move should basically be spammed as a back the hell away and as a tech chase after you hit them with another move. It has an insane amount of pressure and can be punished, but only from the air. very nice damage(14%) and hits them up into the air, the worst place for the climbers. also out spaces the blizzard by ICs. this is your saving grace in this match up.

2. D tilt: another very important move in this match up. starts fast, ends fast does about 9% and has the possibility of tripping which leads to Down b or tech chased grounded up which is 40% right there. I do not recommend using F tilt because there is more lag for that 1% more. stick with the d tilt.

3. SA Punch: the perfect move in this match but sadly, it must be charged and you are not going to get much charging done in this match. This move has SA, insane reach, insane shield pressure, 29% damage, can be pivoted, and kills around 90% and can hopefully hit nana if they power shield it. any chance you get to charge this, do it. it will save your *** many times.

4th. grounded UP B. What do Ics love to do to us that make us pissed off? they approach shield our attacks and grab. not anymore my friends. if you ever see an ICs player running at you the first thing that I should see is a grounded up b moving towards them.(or ground pound)

5th. bair: you should know when to use this by now if you play DK

6th. F smash: yeah crazy right? not so much. while this attack is slow. if you charge it, it gets good. if you ever find yourself to close for comfort CHARGE a F smash about 1/4 to 1/3 of full. this for some reason adds a ridiculous amount of knock back and shield pressure. it basically becomes a little worse version of SA Punch. ALWAYS, ALWAYS CHARGE THIS WHEN YOU USE IT!

what can Ics do to litlle ol' DK?

They can **** and Pillage you in the face!
you should know the drill by now, don't get grabbed or you will most likely lose a stock. you really need to focus on what you do and when. Don't not think for even a second. always think about what he can do to you. and what limited move you have that can stop that. general problems I here are...

that blizzard does like 30% and can be spammed by desyncing them and alternating short hopped down B's that basically make a impenetrable wall of destruction.

DK can not jump over the ICs and punish them instead DK must use down b or SA punch to hit them or you can just jump over them anyway and let it go unpunished to get better spacing. this is your call

These ICs know how to play DK, they play using aerials!

good, that's how we want them. every move becomes available when they realize they can't grab you. which turns the match into your favor.

Should I try grabbing and cargo tossing? it seems like a good idea to get them separated
I honestly never go for the grab them unless they are already desynced. and when I do it is usually a pivot grab so its not so obvious.

How do I punish their side b when it is used?
Don't try. I'm serious. for some reason when they are both together this thing has almost no lag and anything you do out of shield will be power shielded by them including d smash.

when there is only one using it and you get hit you can still punish with a grab or d smash for some reason.

when I get grabbed they just spike me. help?

learn to Smash DI. this will let you live until 180% against them and will also allow you to hit the stage when they attempt to spike you. allowing you to tech.
me vs. teh future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkOqPum46s4

me vs. lain 3 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppXGGP5hV70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AejaQC8Kug0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wIFqUWm2tQ

he went marth game 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzxKsry6fM

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
nice placing Cable!

also: Ripple hasn't (really) quit lol, I have some matches I'll upload in a bit of his DK vs. my G&W (and some other friendlies)

also #2: how many DK's want to attend MLG Columbus 2010? (June 4-6) I'd imagine Ook & Ripple are locks, anyone else? You guys could work on problem matchups together, in order to take over the world metagame!
.. or something

ook

Smash Lord
updated, good stuff guys.

@Oranos: yes... of course I'll be there. :) And for you east coast DKs, it's not too far... grape **** you're closer to Columbus than I am.

@Ripple: ya... I've read that essay word-for-word like 3 times.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
ook, you & Ripple need to go over your weak matchups (that the other is very experienced in) when you're at the same tournament next time. (feel free to remind me to get Ripple to do this if I'm there, it'd be simpler to elaborate in person on what I mean by this)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
maybe you just need more experience ook. watch the videos of me and lain again and take notes.

Luigi player

Smash Master
ook, you & Ripple need to go over your weak matchups (that the other is very experienced in) when you're at the same tournament next time. (feel free to remind me to get Ripple to do this if I'm there, it'd be simpler to elaborate in person on what I mean by this)
Yeah when I looked at some brackets I saw Ripple/Ook losing to someone, but the other one beat them. You guys should really share your knowledge xD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
OK mr. I'm going to put ripple down.

fact is that I don't lose to any OTHER ICs other than lain. Its the one match up I have a huge amount of experience in. remember that the nearest person to play brawl with me is 4 hours away in every direction. before I went to college I only played chewy, an IC's main. its pretty much all I know. OOK is overall better than me because he can travel a short distance and get good practice.

oh, and I don't lose to G&W either. NOJ practice made me get that **** down.

I'll get AIM if you guys ever want to talk to me about matchups but for now I only have skype.

panda.besar

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087

fact is that I don't lose to any OTHER ICs other than lain. Its the one match up I have a huge amount of experience in. remember that the nearest person to play brawl with me is 4 hours away in every direction. before I went to college I only played chewy, an IC's main. its pretty much all I know. OOK is overall better than me because he can travel a short distance and get good practice.

I'll get AIM if you guys ever want to talk to me about matchups but for now I only have skype.

panda.besar
Edit: lolol I thought you were talking to me my bad, read it out of context.

I have a lot of practice against NinjaLink's IC's as well, and have trained with a really good IC's main at college for like 5 months straight. I know the matchup too and would like to offer any ideas that I can to help.

I have yet to play Lain, though he wanted to hit me up for friendlies at Pound 4 and never got around to it.

I'll probably hit you up on skype sometime to discuss

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Yeah when I looked at some brackets I saw Ripple/Ook losing to someone, but the other one beat them. You guys should really share your knowledge xD
yeah, lol! There was smashin through the snow, where Ripple beat some IC(Champ?) and Ook beat a Diddy(Wakka?), and then the opposite DK lost to the opposite player in loser's bracket :confused:

fact is that I don't lose to any OTHER ICs other than lain. Its the one match up I have a huge amount of experience in. remember that the nearest person to play brawl with me is 4 hours away in every direction (johns). before I went to college I only played chewyy, an IC's main. its pretty much all I know. OOK is overall better than me because he can travel a short distance and get good practice.
didn't you beat lain that one time?
10 :('s That matchup is annoying.

panda.besar
get aim(use Pidgin imo), skype is neat but not as convenient

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I played lain at pound 4 in friendlies. I honestly don't even remember how it went. I'm pretty sure he beat me though but I'm thinking they were pretty close.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Oh... pretty bad tournament for me. I got started out against a DDD in bracket who I tried my 6 day old ICs against and was totally winning by a stock lead both games except Nana decided to kill herself a total of 3 times because she's cool like that and I'm still scrub ICs. I probably had a better chance beating the DDD with my DK since I know the MU so well and I've done it in the past. Oh well, the MU experience. And then I got set against the 3rd best in GA who plays Diddy who I do well against but I can't beat yet. My MU experience there isn't what it needs to be.

In pools I did well (2nd seat) but I got tooled by a Luigi. I CAN'T fight Luigi's... but I got BigLou coming this weekend to help me with the MU hopefully... any tips would be great.

Oh and it was 13 out of 36 and the post is http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9749182&postcount=3722

The lamest thing is the Diddy player left after beating me so the next guy got an auto-win. And I'm like 80% sure I could of beat both the next guy and the guy after if I had played like normal and smart which would of landed me 5th. Rotten luck...

EDIT: Oh and I'm going to Herb 3... is anyone else coming? I'll be wearing my DK tie so look for me if you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom