• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
please stop what? asking questions you guys are too embarassed to answer?
I just answered yours, bottom of the last page :)
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1707144&postcount=360
why is mewtwo last in the tiers if taj and mookierah are so good with them?
Taj and MookieRah...ARE ONLY TWO PEOPLE. Also, Taj doesn't even place that high :laugh: I have no clue about MookieRah

Azen is too good as Mewtwo. Azen beat Chudat when he was playing as samus, and azen playing mewtwo.
:p
who isn't Azen too good with?

mcc

Smash Ace
um...ok, and your point? Falcos still don't adjust it, that's all that matters. Results are the only things that matter, not possiblities.

I WASNT TALKIN ABOUT IT'S DIFFICULTY! You said it wasn't annoying to adjust and keep spaming, therefore, the Sheiks you play must not be that good if they let you do that.
well then i'll just have to say that if falcos really don't adjust their SHL to hit a crouching shiek, they're not that smart.

i never get to play anyone good anyways. the only time was last saturday.
it takes a second to adjust the SHL. how would they react to that?

there aren't any kirbys that stand out as much as taj and mookie, so why is kirby above mewtwo? and even if there are only 2 good mewtwos, they're still very good with them, which should tell us that mewtwos don't suck THAt much

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
well then i'll just have to say that if falcos really don't adjust their SHL to hit a crouching shiek, they're not that smart.
Actually, it's better to just appoarch sheik then spend your time camping imo. The best Falcos don't camp.
i never get to play anyone good anyways. the only time was last saturday.
it takes a second to adjust the SHL. how would they react to that?
Lol, jump while you have their SHL pace ****ed up

there aren't any kirbys that stand out as much as taj and mookie,
yes...there are...lol KKK, Omni, Kirbstir, KK90...and pretty much the point that people who use Kirby generally do better than Mew2 players. Let's not just note the well known players...I mean, it is based on the majority.
so why is kirby above mewtwo? and even if there are only 2 good mewtwos, they're still very good with them, which should tell us that mewtwos don't suck THAt much
They are very good but still do bad...I don't see your point.

mcc

Smash Ace
Actually, it's better to just appoarch sheik then spend your time camping imo. The best Falcos don't camp.

Lol, jump while you have their SHL pace ****ed up

yes...there are...lol KKK, Omni, Kirbstir, KK90...and pretty much the point that people who use Kirby generally do better than Mew2 players. Let's not just note the well known players...I mean, it is based on the majority.

They are very good but still do bad...I don't see your point.
if a shiek crouches a SHL and jumps right after it, it's not like the falco is going to stop. she would just get hit on her way down. (this is assuming she's not near you. I usually spam SHL when the opponent is far away from me).

ok nvm about that then :p

well the best mewtwos can't be worse than many of the lower tiers above them, so i just thought he should be raised a little

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
well the best mewtwos can't be worse than many of the lower tiers above them, so i just thought he should be raised a little
the problem is that the best mew2s are the only ones who "know how" to use them. Eventhough Mew2 isn't a good character at all, most of the people who use him are straightup horrible at this game.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
the problem is that the best mew2s are the only ones who "know how" to use them. Eventhough Mew2 isn't a good character at all, most of the people who use him are straightup horrible at this game.
LOL let's post this on the Mewtwo boards!

To Doodah: I know they have counters that are ranked below them, but don't you think that in overall, the group of Link, Luigi, DK and Roy is better than the group of Y.Link, Pika, Yoshi and Zelda? A character can be better than its counter, even if the counter-character has the ability to abuse the weakness of the char.

Example: IC's counter Sheik... but that doesn't make them better than Sheik overall.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
style and potential aren't the same thing. What a character can do and what a player chooses to use have little in common.
He didn't say that they equate to the same thing. The point he's making is that potential = more styles. More styles = difficult to counter.

What? That is so incredible wrong. A professional is someone who is skilled at what they do, let's even check ol' Merriam-Webster.

1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

Sure, one can be a paid professional, or in certain situations it implies that, but definitely not when talking about a videogame player.
The first definition defines a professional as someone who follows a profession. i.e. Someone being paid to do something.

The second definition pretty much speaks for itself.

The third definition defines it as a skilled practitioner. A practitioner being someone who follows a certain occupation. i.e. Getting paid to do something.

The only point you've got me on is the skill behind it.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Ok can mcc please shutup and the people arguing with him, if one side stops posting, neither will have wo and the other will stop too, please get back on track or this topic will likely close, I also would like a tier list for ability to, even with the whole countering I still think it could work, (plus boozer would be a bit higher :p).

nookrulz

Smash Ace
Nope YOU"RE wrong.

The definition of a "Pro Smasher" is:

Someone who has AT LEAST the 16th highest MLG rank points.
so then Husband isn't a Pro? Vidjo isn't a pro? Drephen isn't a pro? Those guys are all extremely skilled - I think anyone sensible would call them pros. Not to mention KillaOR, who, say what you will about his playing, signed a contract with MLG to get paid to play smash, regardless of the result.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
nookrulz i think he's right. an actual "pro smasher" would be someone who is payed to play at the MLG's. i think your point is, that some smashers are just as good as the top 16 MLG peeps, which is also true. i make roughly $30-$150 at local tourneys depending on the size and skill level of smashers there, but i would hardly consider myself to be a "pro", the same way i wouldn't consider someone who had the basketball talent of an NBA basketball player, but wasn't in the NBA, a "pro". but, your connection between being "pro" and being "good" is right, there are just some people who are "good" who aren't "pros".

D

Deleted member

there aren't any kirbys that stand out as much as taj and mookie, so why is kirby above mewtwo? and even if there are only 2 good mewtwos, they're still very good with them, which should tell us that mewtwos don't suck THAt much
because, as I stated before, tiers are based on the characters, not potential. Players give their characters potential.

Regardless, Mewtwo has no potential either, whereas Kirby has exploitable strategies and Mewtwo does not.

Mewtwo isn't even a complete character, he's not good enough to be labeled "complete, yet bad" so don't use him in your examples. You have 25 valid complete characters to choose from and yet you choose the only flawed one. Why?

He didn't say that they equate to the same thing. The point he's making is that potential = more styles. More styles = difficult to counter.
To address this, once you get really good at the game, style has less of an impact than it does at lower levels, which makes this arguement fairly invalid.

EDIT: mcc I sincerely suggest you stop posting and learn more before you propose weak, unsubstaniated, or straightforth false statements. You will learn at a faster rate without embarassing yourself to the extent you seem to be aiming at.

D

Deleted member

no, which is why you'll see top players focus their attention to patience rather than style. If you never screw up your style of play makes little difference, you'll never get punished for it.

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
EDIT: mcc I sincerely suggest you stop posting and learn more before you propose weak, unsubstaniated, or straightforth false statements. You will learn at a faster rate without embarassing yourself to the extent you seem to be aiming at.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
no, which is why you'll see top players focus their attention to patience rather than style. If you never screw up your style of play makes little difference, you'll never get punished for it.
Playing patiently is a variation on your STYLE of play. Mind games, strategy, and execution are all factors in a player's over-all STYLE.

Imagine player X using a pill happy Doc (Pill Happy being the STYLE). Against a Marth that prefers to play very defensively (Camping being the STYLE), it should occur to the Marth to start taking the offensive. Using strings of Fairs with Marth should chew through the Pills, and unless the Doc changes his style, he will lose. This is called STYLE COUNTERING, and in this matchup, is relatively easy to pull off.

If you then imagine that player X used a Falco, and started SHLing like madman, the best bet for the Marth is usually to play defensive, utilizing the shield. But Falco also has a great grab game. So if player X switches styles to a more grab oriented one, he gains the STYLE advantage again. But then what? The Marth changes style of course. To a more offensive one, utilizing powerful aerial combos. This situation calls for another style change on the part of the Falco to a more evasive one.

Thus the cycle continues.

Falco having more potential, thus more styles, makes it more difficult to know what he is going to do in a fight than the Doc.

(I'm aware of the simplified nature of this example)

D

Deleted member

Playing patiently is a variation on your STYLE of play. Mind games, strategy, and execution are all factors in a player's over-all STYLE.

Imagine player X using a pill happy Doc (Pill Happy being the STYLE). Against a Marth that prefers to play very defensively (Camping being the STYLE), it should occur to the Marth to start taking the offensive. Using strings of Fairs with Marth should chew through the Pills, and unless the Doc changes his style, he will lose. This is called STYLE COUNTERING, and in this matchup, is relatively easy to pull off.

If you then imagine that player X used a Falco, and started SHLing like madman, the best bet for the Marth is usually to play defensive, utilizing the shield. But Falco also has a great grab game. So if player X switches styles to a more grab oriented one, he gains the STYLE advantage again. But then what? The Marth changes style of course. To a more offensive one, utilizing powerful aerial combos. This situation calls for another style change on the part of the Falco to a more evasive one.

Thus the cycle continues.

Falco having more potential, thus more styles, makes it more difficult to know what he is going to do in a fight than the Doc.

(I'm aware of the simplified nature of this example)
no, you're just wrong. Patience and style having nothing to do with each other, which makes the rest of your arguement invalid. Your arguements can't be applied. What you're referring to is techniques, which have no bearing on patience at all.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
On the record here: Are you actually saying that if there are two people play Smash, one of which plays very patiently waiting for an opportunity to attack, and one who plays impatiently, charging head on, that there is no difference in their styles?

D

Deleted member

yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Style is choice of technique, nothing else.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
IMHO I would not classify STYLE and PATIENCE in the same category, they are both completely different aspects of the game. I believe that everyone has a certain STYLE that they play with thats unique, but in the same fashion is some form of the mainstream things we see. I mean ppl could say that they have their own style, but when it comes down to it, there are general things like aggressive, defensive, and control. These to me are the main aspects of the game, thus the term style can be considered to be broad. EX: I dont play exactly like Masashi(once known as the best fox but im not sure of the rankings now), but I would call my fox a defensive one.......anyway the two are completely different and cannot be comparted in my opinion.

Patience. I think of it as more of a personal thing. Thinking whether to wavedash back to try to hold my ground and set up my opponent or whether to wavedash in and F-smash and catch the opponent off guard is what comes to my mind. I think of patience as more of execution and timing. I believe that UmbrenonMow talks about patience as more of a pro-level vs. pro-level aspect where theres a given amount of execution an minimal mistakes to take into consideration. The pros often execute techs very well and as we know some of those techs(if performed perfectly) have little to no openings. OKAY getting to patience part, patience is the ablility to wait and see where the opponent makes an error/does something risky and capitalize(to me one of KEN's best aspects). And determining whats "safe" and whats "risky" to me is another aspect of the game.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
nookrulz i think he's right. an actual "pro smasher" would be someone who is payed to play at the MLG's. i think your point is, that some smashers are just as good as the top 16 MLG peeps, which is also true. i make roughly $30-$150 at local tourneys depending on the size and skill level of smashers there, but i would hardly consider myself to be a "pro", the same way i wouldn't consider someone who had the basketball talent of an NBA basketball player, but wasn't in the NBA, a "pro". but, your connection between being "pro" and being "good" is right, there are just some people who are "good" who aren't "pros".

now that you mentioned it, is there some tryout, or do the MLG recruiters goto the big tourneys and pick out ppl who they think are "pro" potential? I mean there are certainly ppl who are pro-level and arent signed. and I think that was a perfect reference with basketball.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
IMHO I would not classify STYLE and PATIENCE in the same category.
Well, no. Of course you wouldn't. Patience is classified under style.

Look. Style = The way something is done. The style of a smash player is the way they play. Throw in an adverb in there, and the corresponding adjective has a bearing over the style.

e.g.

1) John plays smash patiently.

2) David plays smash non patiently.

These two people are not playing the game in the same way. We can conclude, therefore, they are not using the same style.

Ergo, patience is a part of style.

mcc

Smash Ace
I'm sure he'd post again soon. yeah it was a bit late
i was online. i read his post. i decided to stop. please stop assuming things about me.

On the record here: Are you actually saying that if there are two people play Smash, one of which plays very patiently waiting for an opportunity to attack, and one who plays impatiently, charging head on, that there is no difference in their styles?
yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Style is choice of technique, nothing else.
so the times at which the character uses the techniques doesn't count as style because they are still using the same techniques? can you give an example of two characters with different styles? i don't quite understand what you mean.

the post before it was edited already containted the necessary information. this was not necessary

D

Deleted member

some players camp, some do not. That is style. There are good players that camp, and good players that do not. That's all preference.

There are no impatient players in the top 25. It's not a style characteristic, the styles in the top 25 are all very diversified, but they're all patient players as well.

You cannot associate an independant aspect of an arguement to the arguement without a common ground. The arguement itself is not the common ground.

Nocturnis

Smash Rookie
Here's the thing though. I can camp and do nothing but tilts and f-airs right? Also I can rush and focus on tilts into f-airs. The style is the same but in one case I am patient. Therefore I can conclude that Pateince and Style are both important but are seperate?

(I'm aware that only tilting into f-airs may be exaggerated but it's an example of a primitive style.)

D

Deleted member

Here's the thing though. I can camp and do nothing but tilts and f-airs right? Also I can rush and focus on tilts into f-airs. The style is the same but in one case I am patient. Therefore I can conclude that Pateince and Style are both important but are seperate?

(I'm aware that only tilting into f-airs may be exaggerated but it's an example of a primitive style.)
I see your point, but no, because it is possible to camp impatiently. Those players are usually the worst too, having neither sense of offense or defense.

If you camp with ftilts and fairs as you say, but you jump the gun when you think you see an opening, you are both defensive and impatient.

You can also be offensive and patient. Korean DJ is an excellent example of this.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
some players camp, some do not. That is style. There are good players that camp, and good players that do not. That's all preference.

There are no impatient players in the top 25. It's not a style characteristic, the styles in the top 25 are all very diversified, but they're all patient players as well.

You cannot associate an independant aspect of an arguement to the arguement without a common ground. The arguement itself is not the common ground.

agreed. Like said b4 patience has nothing to do with style. Its more of a discipline thing. This is why the top 25 are good as they are. And if you are assuming that I would agree with the statement....."impatient SSBM players will never be as good" then ur right. The games nature requires patience(if you wanna be decent that is.).

EDIT: what timing(reference to latter post)

DA_RAIN

Smash Apprentice
style is worth a lot in a group of friends if some1 knos ur style they can beat u but patience is above style and beats every style if used correctly given character and counterpick matchups

patience is the reason some matches r impossible like sheik vs bowser is impossible because a patient sheik can always beat bowser by spamming him and making grab opportunities where bowser can still win if sheik doesnt take the time to do this sheik can also use quick lagless attacks to pressure bowser into making mistakes to force the same opportunities u dont have to camp

i kno patience because i play roy u cant have a good roy unless u r very patient and accurate with your hits and style doesnt matter because if u dont make mistakes u can do whatever u want

K20AFoozbal

Smash Apprentice
The FOR FUN Teir list by K20A

It's really

Falco
Shiek
Fox
Marth
Peach

Alrighty then... i've read over a majority of these pages and i've ascertained a tremendous amount of data about how the teir list works and how most people think it works... I'm going to attempt to make a more balanced List. For fun. For schitzengiggles. The list is entirely my
decision, but actual tourney results and matchups are used. I've added teirs back in and am moving things around... because it's MY list. please give your opinion because it's wanted, but make it nice. :)

BEFORE FLAMING: I have never been to a tourney. I'm very recenetly getting into the comptetitive scene of SSBM, tho i bought the game at the release and have rarely lost... until i played a Fox who spammed drill/shine. annoying as ****. Unbeatable at my skill level but definately beatable. By watching tournament matches and combos from some of the top players in the country; Ken, Clod, Bob-Money (and the whole DBR clan), Dope and others who i can't remember... i've learned much about the current tourney situation as far as how the characters stack up against eachother and how the matches actually play out.

Having said that.... This is again for fun. To see what people think. However, I am not only using the tournament listing but splicing in the priority factor, making it a more just and more righteous "type" of teir list, instead of simply using tourney results... and also using combined data from everyone with a brain that posted on this thread. not the peeps who were just like "Link should be better because of his Dair! YEA!" NO. not cool. not counting in my teir list. SOOOO... Flaming is not welcome, nor is it appreciated. Questions, Comments, Analogies, Statements, Opinions, Gestures, Remarks, Words of Wisdom are all very much welcome. But please... think about what you're saying before you say these things. No bigger bash than looking like an idiot while trying to make someone else look like an idiot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K20A Teir List 2006:

High-Top (God) Teir:
Falco

Top Teir:
Peach
Fox
Sheik
Marth

High Teir:
C. Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Luigi

Middle Teir:
Link
Mario
Donkey Kong
Mr. Game & Watch
Roy
Yoshi

Low Teir:
Zelda
Young Link
Ness
Pikachu
Kirby
Bowser

Bottom Teir:
Pichu
Mewtwo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, discussions... banter... vomiting... contraband... what-have-you, come on...

Giving this careful thought as to tournament standing and priority/ability put together (to me) an altogether more just and less biased Teir List.

EXPLANATION

Falco::::::

Never leaves your area. A great Falco player will never let you touch the ground. Watch the Aces & Eights Video. Dope pwns with Falco. ridiculously. you never touch the ground. the short-jump laser is better entirely than foxes, the shine is primo for setting up air combos with falcos incredibly high jump and powerful Uair. include wave dashing and drill/shining and it's gg. He's rising in the tournaments as well, as you all know and is getting more and more popular as time goes by.

Sheik > Marth?! OH MY::::::

Sheik is statistically better than Marth. In Tourneys across the country (Especially OC2 with 8 sheiks placing in the Top 13) and maybe the world(?) too in the past month or two. Sheik is consistent, has (if i remember right) better priority than marth and with no lag makes for better combo's (excluding Ken).

Fox is SOOO LOW!:::::::::

Fox is getting used more and more but is winning less and less. At the same OC2 tourney ther were only 4 Foxes, (all 4 being Sub-characters) and only two placed in the top 5. Fox is dying out. Falco has come, people realize he's better... but fox still has the drill/shine combo that is very hard to counter, making edgeguarding incredibly easy. Fox is good, and while his priorities are up there he is becoming less common in tourneys... making way for...

PEACH::::::
Peach is sooooo broken. Float. Veggies. Dsmash. USmash. Air moves in general. She's powerful, prioritized like crazy and is a counter for everyone. Nuff said. Plus she's rising in tournament standing, but my list is not solely about tourneys.

High Teir::::
C. Falcon is great. Fast. Nimble. Crazy priority. Used by some people who can handle him at tourneys.
Ice Climbers. Thanks to the ChuDat revolution people have really seen the potential that i saw when the game came out. 2 people, two attacks. great combos. nice priority. I didn't use them much before simply because i didn't want people to think i was dumb... but whenever i did i *****... WONDER WHY?!!

As for the rest... they all make sense with the posted List; Samus being a great character doing well in most tourneys, with jigglypuff being more dominant than Doc, Ganon and Luigi in the competitions and with simply not enough people using Ganon for him to be any higher, though his priority is incredible.

Luigi. Even though scarcely used in tourneys, his priority and power, great wave dash and sensational control give him the right to be High Tier. Good enough?

Mid Teir:::::::

Link. Great priority. Nimble mover with nice air moves all over. great edge guarder with tricks up his sleeve. makes him top of the mid teir, same as SBR's.

Mario. moved down because of poor ranking in tourney. Mario is not as efficient a character as Doc. good priority is not enough for me. Remember, this is MY list. Not meant to mirror or beat SBR's list, simply to improve upon and make more truthful to which characters and players that use them are better.

Mr. Game and Watch. Such good moves. Such good priority. 4th in that recent tourney. he needs to be higher than low teir. IMO.

Yoshi too. no great moves, but can certainly beat any of the characters lower than him.

Low Teir::::::

Pretty similar, with Ness moving up a bit and Kirby as well. Zelda has good priority and powerful moves. Doing "ok" in tourneys, getting a bit of play.

Bowser's at the bottom because he's strong... but too ****ing slow. seriously, he's never in competitions, he's difficult to control and has no fast, high priority moves to show for.

Bottom Teir:::::

Self explanitory. K?

Alright, everything good? the comments.... begin... NOW! :)

P.S. yes, this is my first post. lol. Be gentle.

P.S.S. Again. this is MY LIST. Combining tourney results, the SBR list and priority for the characters to make a more fair, just and balanced list. IMO! keep that in mind as the comments begin. Enjoi.

K20A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom