• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That instrument you keep hearing in Chinese movies

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The answer to this years' old question of mine is that it's called an "erhu." It's what the lady in purple is playing in this video, and the sound should be pretty recognizable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhtQAMGkWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qAIUrLsuYs - another video from the same performance

Now that I learn that, as far as musical instruments go, that they cost probably 10% of what violins and other classical stringed instruments do, I have enough interest to go out and learn how to play one. Excuse me and my mild excitement.

UberMario

Smash Master
Erhus are actually going to be a main instrument in Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver.

I always thought that Erhus were basically Sitars played differently, I guess I was wrong.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I actually have one of those, but it's not in top condition. We got it when a chinese friend was clearing out their house.

I'm a violinist though so I can just stick with that.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I love the sound of that instrument.

I reckon they are pretty hard to play as well.
I doubt they're significantly harder than any other instrument.

anyways, I was skeptical when i read your post, but when I watched the video, i was like: AHHA! that instrument. good find.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The erhu only has 2 strings, and a single, large neck and no fingerboard. Different pitch is attained by pressing your fingers against the strings with varying placement and pressure, but unlike violin you don't press them down to a solid surface. The bow's hairs are then situated between the 2 strings, and is then played against either string. The bow is bonded to the instrument, it's impossible to remove without first taking down one of the strings from the tuning pegs.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
That was incredible! Both instruments are not only pleasing to the ears but it's aesthetically pleasing to watch that performance as well.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
great vids :D I miss listening to my older family members play various instruments from china, sadly they've all but died out, and their kids didn't learn to play, some don't really even speak Chinese, like myself. Well a couple phrases, lol I can count to 10, and wish someone a happy Chinese new year >.>

There are TONS of instruments from china. If you learn to play, that would be excellent. And it -is- harder to play than your typical western stringed instruments. It's akin to playing a fretless bass in terms of sonic difficulty, and even more so due to the 2-string technique involved.

Top Bottom