• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetra for Smash Ultimate. Happy 35 years for the Legend of Zelda!

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
The more I think about it the more I support Tetra. She's really cool and probably the coolest Zelda incarnation we've had. She's my 2nd choice for a new Zelda character after Midna, and Midna's already confirmed an assist. Give me that pirate moveset.
Spunky whole hardy and clever and strong willed this is the only version of Zelda i like.
é-tetra-gif-6.gif

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Tetra was my top want for Smash 4, and was even my ballot vote. I'll support her even if her chances for Ultimate aren't the best; if fan outcry is really going to matter more from now on, then every bit of support is going to help her more than anything.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Her chances are really low but I still support. Tetra is probably my favorite incarnation of Zelda.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see a Tetra thread! She's in my top 5 most wanted and I would be over the moon to see her in Ultimate. I definitely think she has more of a chance as an echo/semi-clone, but I'm wondering of who and how they'd implement it. I could see her adapting to some of Shiek's moveset nicely, as she's shown herself to be very acrobatic in Wind Waker like the OP mentioned, however a lot of other stuff wouldn't really work (Needles, smoke bomb, some of Shiek's crazier movements like her dair).

I could see Toon Link, but Tetra's never really used a shield or boomerang before. The cutlass would fit well enough however, height would be very similar, and Tetra could definitely use bombs and not look out of place.

Newcomer with a full moveset would definitely be the simplest outcome for her, but I think it's a very slim chance. I'm still rooting for her though.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I’m not sure if we’ll get another Zelda character, but if we do I hope it’s Tetra.

Count me in as a supporter!

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Wind Waker was one of the best games I ever played. Permission to come aboard Cap’n Tetra’s pirate crew?

9/6 EDIT: Alas, no bumping, but best of luck today, Miss Tetra! Hope you make it!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Reiterating my support for Tetra, as she's not a one-shot unlike Sheik.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
So! I actually had some ideas for Miss Tetra's moveset! I wasn't sure whether I wanted her to basically be a Wind Waker-ified Link or be a hybrid between Link and Zelda brandishing the princess's magic with Link's swordplay...until I had a better idea. I think any proper Tetra moveset should be centered around her claim to fame - her sailing expertise!

“But... There're dolphins, Tetra!”
“Big deal! There're plenty of dolphins in the ocean!”

Borrowing from the ship mechanics from both Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, her movesets should incorporate the familiar tropes to those games: wind, salvage arms, cannons, etc. Basically, she blasts people off the Smash gangplank like she blasts enemy ships off the high seas, using wind to navigate around her foes and evade their attacks, peppering them with cannon-fire, and drawing them in close with a few well placed grappling lines. She'd be a small, lightweight, very maneuverable fighter - similar to the best pirate ships, and probably borrowing from Toon Link's base animation data for a foundation. Her A attacks would primarily revolve around swordplay, probably similar enough to Toon Link's that much of his A attacks can also translate over in an accomodating fashion for ease of development: small reach, but quick, harrying, and strong enough to keep enemies off their feet. As for her special moves, she would have a slightly more Villager feel, employing a variety of techniques for stage control:

B Neutral, Pistol Shot: Tetra harasses opponents at medium to close-range with a peppering shot from her trusty flintlock. A little more powerful than Villager's slingshot, but a slower rate of fire, used to flinch foes up close before Tetra moves in for bladeplay, so quick frame recovery after the shot allowing for easy followup attacks. “Of course, if you'd rather fight me... I can show you my skill with a sword... again!”

B Forward, Cannon Blast: Similar to Villager's tree attack or Wario pulling out his motorcycle, Tetra summons a cannon to blast targets away with successive B forward inputs. With the first B forward, Tetra drops down a cannon, knocking back anyone immediately in front of her. With the second input, the cannon creates a powerful, lightning-fast shot that can reach across the stage, but has to be reloaded again with another B forward before it can fire again. The cannon sticks around as an interactive object, with Tetra or other fighters able to pick it up and throw it elsewhere. Like Wario's motorcycle, it can also be busted up with attacks. However, if an opponent is sent flying into it, they'll be knocked into the cannon and blasted out again, like the cannon item in custom stages.We're pirates! “You know... PIRATES! The terror of the seas!”

B Up, Deku Leaf: A powerful gale lifts Tetra up off the ground, quickly evading a charging enemy. Functions similarly in effect to Sonic's Up B, but blowing back nearby attackers instead, and boosting Tetra high up into the air, where she floats gracefully back to the ground with the Deku Leaf, a la Peach's parasol. Has limited magic, so if used too much, it will shrivel up into a stalk to recharge, leaving Tetra with limited recovery options. “As for our destination... The wind will guide us!”

B Down, Explosive Barrel: Tetra sets down an explosive barrel, which explodes on a short timer or when it takes damage. Excellent for trapping and stage control, like a pirate would laying traps for chasing vessels. “There you go... Acting before you think, as usual...”

Grab, Grappling Hook: Tetra grapples foes from a distance and draws them in close for attack. Can also be used for tether recovery! “Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?”

Final Smash, 3...2...1!: Tetra traps any unlucky combatant within her reach in a barrel and launches them out of a giant cannon, blasting them off the stage, like she did to poor Link in Wind Waker when she cannon-balled him into Forsaken Fortress. “We pirates do this all the time. Don't worry about it! It'll be a piece of cake.”

Taunt 1: Tetra crosses her arms and winks at the camera in her classic pose.

Taunt 2: Tetra pulls out her pirate charm and looks at it as it glows and hovers slightly above her hands.

Taunt 3: Tetra takes a quick Pictobox photo capture in front of her, forever preserving the good memories of watching her enemies launch helplessly into the void. Snap-snap!

I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know.”

Anyway, that's my dream moveset. I think it does justice to the overall feel of the Wind Waker legacy games. Anyone else have a moveset? I notice we've got an opening for them for the main page. :D

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My apologies for being late to update the support list, life's been proving fairly busy for me lately.

The Nintendo direct should still be coming up soon (prayers out to everyone in Japan, by the way; they all need it right now....) though I'm not sure what to think of Tetra's odds of being revealed in it. I'm personally banking on it's very likely newcomer reveal being Skull Kid, or heck, possibly even Geno, with all the evidence going in his favor lately. I doubt we'll get more than one newcomer reveal in a direct that isn't dedicated solely to Smash, unless, of course, we end up seeing two newcomer reveals in a single trailer. I'm not gonna lie, if we saw Tetra and Skull Kid in a single, Zelda-themed Smash Ultimate trailer, I'd probably lose my freaking head. Tetra alone would make me overjoyed, and Skull Kid would be fantastic, but if I got both? Yeeeeeeeesh, that's a serious pipe-dream of my own idea for a perfect Smash reveal and trailer, right now.

On note of that, how many of you are interested in other Zelda newcomers, and who are they? I think it's more than clear who my top two picks are, haha.

So! I actually had some ideas for Miss Tetra's moveset! I wasn't sure whether I wanted her to basically be a Wind Waker-ified Link or use by a hybrid between Link and Zelda brandishing the princess's magic with Link's swordplay...until I had a better idea. I think any proper Tetra moveset should be centered around her claim to fame - her sailing expertise!

“But... There're dolphins, Tetra!”
“Big deal! There're plenty of dolphins in the ocean!”

Borrowing from the ship mechanics from both Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, her movesets should incorporate the familiar tropes to those games: wind, salvage arms, cannons, etc. Basically, she blasts people off the Smash gangplank like she blasts enemy ships off the high seas, using wind to navigate around her foes and evade their attacks, peppering them with cannon-fire, and drawing them in close with a few well placed grappling lines. She'd be a small, lightweight, very maneuverable fighter - similar to the best pirate ships, and probably borrowing from Toon Link's base animation data for a foundation. Her A attacks would primarily revolve around swordplay, probably similar enough to Toon Link's that much of his A attacks can also translate over in an accomodating fashion for ease of development: small reach, but quick, harrying, and strong enough to keep enemies off their toes. As for her special moves, she would have a slightly more Villager feel, employing a variety of techniques for stage control:

B Neutral, Pistol Shot: Tetra harasses opponents at medium to close-range with a peppering shot. A little more powerful than Villager's slingshot, but a slower rate of fire, used to flinch foes up close before Tetra moves in for bladeplay, so quick frame recovery after the shot allowing for easy followup attacks. “Of course, if you'd rather fight me... I can show you my skill with a sword... again!”

B Forward, Cannon Blast: Similar to Villager's tree attack or Wario pulling out his motorcycle, Tetra summons a cannon and to blast targets away with successive B forward inputs. With the first B forward, Tetra drops sets down a cannon. With the second input, the cannon creates a powerful, lightning-fast shot that can reach across the stage, but has to be reloaded again with another B forward before it can fire again. The cannon sticks around as an interactive object, with Tetra or other fighters able to pick it up and throw it elsewhere. Like Wario's motorcycle, it can also be busted up with attacks. However, if an opponent is sent flying into it, they'll be knocked into the cannon and blasted out again, like the cannon item in custom stages.We're pirates! “You know... PIRATES! The terror of the seas!”

B Up, Deku Leaf: A gale of wind lifts Tetra up off the ground, quickly evading a charging enemy. Functions similarly in effect to Sonic's Up B, blowing back nearby attackers with a powerful gale, and boosting Tetra high up into the air, where she floats gracefully back to the ground a la Peach's parasol. “As for our destination... The wind will guide us!”

B Down, Explosive Barrel: Tetra sets down an explosive barrel, which explodes on a short timer or when it takes damage. Excellent for trapping and stage control, like a pirate would laying traps for chasing vessels. A smaller barrel that explodes on impact can also be dropped below for less damage, while in mid-air. “There you go... Acting before you think, as usual...”

Grab, Grappling Hook: Tetra grapples foes from a distance and draws them in close for attack. Can also be used for tether recovery! “Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?”

Final Smash, 3...2...1!: Tetra traps any unlucky combatant within her reach in a barrel and launches them out of a giant cannon, blasting them off the stage, like she did to poor Link in Wind Waker to launch him into Forsaken Fortress. “We pirates do this all the time. Don't worry about it! It'll be a piece of cake.”

Taunt 1: Tetra crosses her arms and winks at the camera in her classic pose.

Taunt 2: Tetra pulls out her pirate charm and looks at it as it glows and hovers slightly above her hands.

Taunt 3: Tetra takes a quick Pictobox photo capture in front of her, forever preserving the good memories of watching her enemies launch helplessly into the void. Snap-snap!

I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know.”

Anyway, that's my dream moveset. I think it does justice to the overall feel of the Wind Waker legacy games. Anyone else have a moveset? I notice we've got an opening for them for the main page. :D
Yes, yes! This is an excellent moveset. Plenty of great ideas here, utilizing both Tetra's pirate experience and weaponry, as well as a few unique items straight out of the Wind Waker. If we could get her as a unique fighter or at least some kind of semi-clone, these are the kind of attacks and abilities I'd most like to see her using.

My idea for Tetra's Down-B was actually quite similar to what your idea for her Side-B is; I thought of her summoning a cannon as well, but as an attack performed with just one input and with the ability to aim and charge it (albeit, only allowing it to turn up and down about 45 degrees; can't have it being able to shoot in every direction), rather than something more similar to Villager and Snake's special items. I also thought of the projectile it fired being a larger toon-styled bomb akin to what you get to fire from your cannon in the Wind Waker, and possibly having it explode sooner as well as fly faster depending on how long the attack is charged. I've yet to decide on some of those attributes though, because I think giving it that much flexibility may be a bit much. Tbh, I like your idea for a cannon-based attack much better.

As long as you're fine with it, I think I'll be adding to this to the OP soon, with you listed as it's creator, of course. :p

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Aye, hadn't said it on these boards proper yet, but heart goes out to Japan and all those affected. The world lost seven special lives and countless homes. I'm not really sure what to say. I hope things get better soon for them, and that we've seen the full extent of the tragedy. Really grateful Nintendo is such an awesome company to give its employees this time off to help tend to the wounded and affected. I honestly can't stop gushing over how wonderful those people are. Wishing them all the best.

Hey, no prob KingofPhantoms - life always comes first. Hope everything fares well with you. And yippee, thanks! Please feel free to use this moveset in the OP. I really think Tetra's one of the most underrated potential fighters out there, and I'd love to help her build up a strong, loyal pirate crew! Definitely would love to hear any more moveset ideas when you complete them. Really like your cannon down-B idea - it actually makes a lot of sense, as the moveset I described really only gives much utility on flat, unobstructed playing fields, which a lot of stages aren't. Aiming and charging up Tetra's cannon is a really cool idea. Might have to reconsider how I set that up. It might get too complicated to meld the two ideas, but maybe if you could hold B-forward on the cannon after it's been dropped - rather than just releasing it immediately to fire - it would allow you to angle the cannon and fire off a weaker blast, which you can also charge? Kind of like how Samus's missiles work? It kind of makes sense. Will think over it.

If I can get both Skull Kid and Tetra, I'd be over the moon. I really think Tetra would have a lot to add to Zelda's representation, being by far the most expressive potential newcomer among their roster (perhaps of the entire game), sporting a sassy, blunt, shameless personality with a soft side of big sister. Her aesthetic would be completely fresh, looking nothing like anyone else in the entire game, with a completely fresh playstyle, as I don't think there's a single other demolitions expert style character out there (perhaps excepting Snake, who would be substantially different anyway).

Her primary competition at this point is probably Impa (would love to have them both). I think Tetra probably deserves the spot more, however, given the large presence "Toon Legend of Zelda" already has in the game stage-wise, and the fact that most of what Impa would bring to the table is already covered by Sheik. Tetra does a better job representing the range and diversity of the franchise (what other series could boast bringing both a pirate AND a ninja to the table?). While Impa's been in twice the number of games Tetra has, each of those iterations have been separate characters across different eras in Hyrule. Tetra is a single character coming from one era of Hyrule, and she was popular enough to appear four separate times. One character in four games, as opposed to eight separate characters from eight separate games. Tetra's singularly more important than any individual one of them (four times more important, to be precise!). Not to mention, it would balance out the look of the Zelda roster to throw Tetra in there, as Impa's inclusion instead would give the reps an overall very serious-looking (almost Fire Emblem-ish) austere tone, with Toon Link sticking out like a sore thumb. With Tetra in there, it starts to look more like a well-rounded out franchise of diverse games and settings meshing together - which is what Legend of Zelda is! (Smash Bros. too, for that matter)

Not to say I don't want Impa (I actually adore her character) - she's definitely earned a spot in Smash Bros. I just think Tetra would be a smarter pick first, and more fun to play with. A pirate AND a princess who peppers her enemies with cannon blasts and explosions, winking cutesy-like at the camera while she does it? Who else but Miss Tetra? We don't even have any other pirates in the Smash roster (I don't think K. Rool quite counts). I do hope we get all three though: Skull Kid, Tetra, and Impa all. Maybe Tingle or a Champion if we're lucky. I imagine Tingle would make a good joke character in Luigi's vein. :p

EDIT: Also, I think another argument going strongly in Tetra's favor is the old "forbidden 7" thing. With Pichu coming back, little guy will need more alts. It would be the easiest thing in the world for Sakurai to replace Pichu's model with Minun and Plusle, Alph & Olimar style (those three Pokemon look almost identical), and doing so would be an easy way to give Smash Bros. representation for all seven generations (with the inevitable Gen 7 newcomer). I also see Dixie Kong as another much-needed, popular, and very likely newcomer (and easy echo), which would leave Tetra as the last of Sakurai's big scrapped characters. With her recent surge of fame approaching '15 from Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and another Toon Zelda entry, Triforce Heroes (which was a sequel to ALBW but reverted back to Toon style because it's such a favorite), being released just months before the poll concluded, she would have been fresh on people's minds, not to mention one of the Zelda characters more popular with Japan. With Zelda much in need of a newcomer, and Tetra being such an important, recurring character, I really think she stands a much better chance than most people give her credit for. And by virtue of the fact that Sakurai actually tried to include her in the game at one point, perhaps even more likely than the likes of Skull Kid and Impa.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Aye, hadn't said it on these boards proper yet, but heart goes out to Japan and all those affected. The world lost seven special lives and countless homes. I'm not really sure what to say. I hope things get better soon for them, and that we've seen the full extent of the tragedy. Really grateful Nintendo is such an awesome company to give its employees this time off to help tend to the wounded and affected. I honestly can't stop gushing over how wonderful those people are. Wishing them all the best.

Hey, no prob KingofPhantoms - life always comes first. Hope everything fares well with you. And yippee, thanks! Please feel free to use this moveset in the OP. I really think Tetra's one of the most underrated potential fighters out there, and I'd love to help her build up a strong, loyal pirate crew! Definitely would love to hear any more moveset ideas when you complete them. Really like your cannon down-B idea - it actually makes a lot of sense, as the moveset I described really only gives much utility on flat, unobstructed playing fields, which a lot of stages aren't. Aiming and charging up Tetra's cannon is a really cool idea. Might have to reconsider how I set that up. It might get too complicated to meld the two ideas, but maybe if you could hold B-forward on the cannon after it's been dropped - rather than just releasing it immediately to fire - it would allow you to angle the cannon and fire off a weaker blast, which you can also charge? Kind of like how Samus's missiles work? It kind of makes sense. Will think over it.

If I can get both Skull Kid and Tetra, I'd be over the moon. I really think Tetra would have a lot to add to Zelda's representation, being by far the most expressive potential newcomer among their roster (perhaps of the entire game), sporting a sassy, blunt, shameless personality with a soft side of big sister. Her aesthetic would be completely fresh, looking nothing like anyone else in the entire game, with a completely fresh playstyle, as I don't think there's a single other demolitions expert style character out there (perhaps excepting Snake, who would be substantially different anyway).

Her primary competition at this point is probably Impa (would love to have them both). I think Tetra probably deserves the spot more, however, given the large presence "Toon Legend of Zelda" already has in the game stage-wise, and the fact that most of what Impa would bring to the table is already covered by Sheik. Tetra does a better job representing the range and diversity of the franchise (what other series could boast bringing both a pirate AND a ninja to the table?). While Impa's been in twice the number of games Tetra has, each of those iterations have been separate characters across different eras in Hyrule. Tetra is a single character coming from one era of Hyrule, and she was popular enough to come back four separate times. One character in four games, as opposed to eight separate characters from eight separate games. Tetra's singularly more important than any individual one of them (four times more important, to be precise!). Not to mention, it would balance out the look of the Zelda roster to throw Tetra in there, as Impa's inclusion instead would give the reps an overall very serious-looking (almost Fire Emblem-ish) tone, with Toon Link sticking out like a sore thumb. With Tetra in there, it starts to look more like a well-rounded out franchise of diverse games and settings meshing together - which is what Smash Bros. is! (Legend of Zelda too, for that matter)

Not to say I don't want Impa (I actually adore her character) - she's definitely earned a spot in Smash Bros. I just think Tetra would be a smarter pick first, and more fun to play with. A pirate AND a princess who peppers her enemies with cannon blasts and explosions, winking cutesy-like at the camera while she does it? Who else but Miss Tetra? We don't even have any other pirates in the Smash roster (I don't think K. Rool quite counts). I do hope we get all three though: Skull Kid, Tetra, and Impa all. Maybe Tingle or a Champion if we're lucky. I imagine Tingle would make a good joke character in Luigi's vein. :p

EDIT: Also, I think another argument going strongly in Tetra's favor is the old "forbidden 7" thing. With Pichu coming back, little guy will need more alts. It would be the easiest thing in the world for Sakurai to replace Pichu's model with Minun and Plusle, Alph & Olimar style (those three Pokemon look almost identical), and doing so would be an easy way to give Smash Bros. representation for all seven generations (with the inevitable Gen 7 newcomer). I also see Dixie Kong as another much-needed, popular, and very likely newcomer (and easy echo), which would leave Tetra as the last of Sakurai's big scrapped characters. With her recent surge of fame approaching '15 from Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and another Toon Zelda entry, Triforce Heroes (which was a sequel to ALBW but reverted back to Toon style because it's such a favorite), being released just months before the poll concluded, she would have been fresh on people's minds, not to mention one of the Zelda characters more popular with Japan. With Zelda much in need of a newcomer, and Tetra being such an important, recurring character, I really think she stands a much better chance than most people give her credit for. And by virtue of the fact that Sakurai actually tried to include her in the game at one point, perhaps even more likely than the likes of Skull Kid and Impa.
I believe If Sakurai were to give us Dixie Kong and Minun and Plusle as alts for Pichu, he would have to add Tetra as well. ;)

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
I believe If Sakurai were to give us Dixie Kong and Minun and Plusle as alts for Pichu, he would have to add Tetra as well.
If both Dixie and Tetra are in this game, I seriously hope we get a Jack Sparrow/Jack the Monkey frenemy dynamic between them in a reveal trailer. I picture it going this way: Scene opens on Tetra helming her pirate ship onto an uncharted island. She glances down at her pirate charm, and pockets it, stepping foot onto the sand, and clears her way into a thick jungle. Suddenly, a monkey-shaped shadow swinging on a vine flies past out of nowhere, tagging Tetra. She reaches into her pocket and realizes she no longer has her pirate charm. She gives chase, until she emerges onto another beach where another pirate galleon has shored. Watching the shadow swing onto the ship, she rushes up the gangplank, stopping inches from outstretched claws. She looks up, straight into the lopsided eyes of Kaptain K. Rool. In his other hand, the pirate charm dangles temptingly from a single talon. Tetra unsheathes her cutlass. TETRA TAKES THE PRIZE! Gameplay footage. Back to the fight, K. Rool slashes wildly at Tetra, finally knocking her down. Just as K. Rool is about to strike his finishing blow, Dixie Kong blasts out of nowhere riding a rocket barrel, smashing right into the Kaptain’s jaw. DIXIE KONG BARRELS IN! Gameplay footage. Back to the fight, Tetra and Dixie square eyes with each other, before Rool hops back up to his feet, giving a deafening roar. The pirate and monkey nod to each other, and Tetra pulls out a cannon, with Dixie jumping inside, and launches her right into Kaptain K. Rool’s belly, knocking the pirate charm out of his grasp and offscreen. The Kaptain goes flying into the sky, finally twinkling out. Tetra winks at Dixie, and then holds out her hand expectantly. Dixie copies DK’s hilarious shrug/confused down-taunt, at which point the camera pans back, revealing Minun and Plusle dancing atop the ship’s helm, playfully tossing Tetra’s pirate charm back and forth. End scene.

I dub this piece...“Forbidden Island!”

Last edited:

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice
I support! I was invited here so thank you. I think Tetra would make a cool addition to the roster and to represent the franchise.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
I support! I was invited here so thank you. I think Tetra would make a cool addition to the roster and to represent the franchise.
Hey Firewolf! Welcome aboard to Tetra's Pirate Ship! Awesome swapping larks with ye in the other thread! With any luck, we've not seen the last the legendary pirate princess yet!

Anyway, if we were to get another stage representing the Toon Zelda 'verse, what would you like to see? Myself, I think it would be interesting to see Forsaken Fortress. It would take place on the top of the keep, where Link fought the Helmaroc King. Spotlights would hover periodically across the stage, and anyone caught in the light would be chased by arrows as Bokoblins in watchtowers shot at them from afar. At the top, mid-center of the stage would be another Ganon's shipwreck personal quarters, which would be opaque until someone moved inside, Luigi's Mansion style. To the left of the that, the Helmaroc's nest. Occasionally, the Helmaroc King himself might show up, initiating a miniboss fight like Ridley. Lots of great atmosphere and stage hazard opportunity here, with plenty of room to navigate and create interest fighting terrain. I think it would be a blast to play!

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I support her.
Now that the Zelda cast is mixed between Zelda games ( the best decision Sakurai has ever made with Zelda ) it seems a shame to only have on character from the "toon" style when it's the only art style that stuck around for more than two games, to the point that it's even still being used for games like Triforce Heroes.
If I were to pull any character from the "Toon" series of Zelda games it would have been Vaati, as he's the only villain besides Ganon to be recurring. But Tetra would easily be my number 2 pick. Besides that, Pirates are just awesome.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey Firewolf! Welcome aboard to Tetra's Pirate Ship! Awesome swapping larks with ye in the other thread! With any luck, we've not seen the last the legendary pirate princess yet!

Anyway, if we were to get another stage representing the Toon Zelda 'verse, what would you like to see? Myself, I think it would be interesting to see Forsaken Fortress. It would take place on the top of the keep, where Link fought the Helmaroc King. Spotlights would hover periodically across the stage, and anyone caught in the light would be chased by arrows as Bokoblins in watchtowers shot at them from afar. At the top, mid-center of the stage would be another Ganon's shipwreck personal quarters, which would be opaque until someone moved inside, Luigi's Mansion style. To the left of the that, the Helmaroc's nest. Occasionally, the Helmaroc King might show up, initiating a miniboss fight like Ridley. Lots of great atmosphere and stage hazard opportunity here, with plenty of room to navigate and position your character. I think it would be a blast to play!

Same here dude.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
I'd love to Tetra in Smash. Hopefully she'd be stronger than she is in Hyrule Warriors.

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice

Anyway, if we were to get another stage representing the Toon Zelda 'verse, what would you like to see? Myself, I think it would be interesting to see Forsaken Fortress. It would take place on the top of the keep, where Link fought the Helmaroc King. Spotlights would hover periodically across the stage, and anyone caught in the light would be chased by arrows as Bokoblins in watchtowers shot at them from afar. At the top, mid-center of the stage would be another Ganon's shipwreck personal quarters, which would be opaque until someone moved inside, Luigi's Mansion style. To the left of the that, the Helmaroc's nest. Occasionally, the Helmaroc King himself might show up, initiating a miniboss fight like Ridley. Lots of great atmosphere and stage hazard opportunity here, with plenty of room to navigate and create interest fighting terrain. I think it would be a blast to play!

I think that stage would be great, so I agree with you! As for moves.. I think if she uses her blade/sword and maybe bombs as well it would be cool. I really think we need more pirates and Zelda reps and Tetra is simply badass!

Pasta Man Marco

Smash Rookie
NNID
BarioBare
Switch FC
7621-9448-3212
I fully support this ^^ Tetra is the only character I want added.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy... Sakurai's talking about Wind Waker over on the Japanese blog. :D

https://www.smashbros.com/ja_JP/index.html

It's interesting to me the subtle ways Nintendo keeps promoting Tetra/Toon Zelda as an iconic character in the Zelda brand - and to Nintendo as a whole - long after her original debut in Wind Waker. Her place of prominence on the cover of the 2018 Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition for Switch:

As well as its predecessor, 2016 Hyrule Warriors Legends (which featured a Tetra advertising campaign leading up to the time of Sakurai's Smash Fighter Ballot of '15):

Standing alongside other greatest Nintendo legends in the 2014 Kyary Pamyu Pamyu 3DS commercial in Japan, advertising 3DS as a whole:

Her representation in Nintendo's 2015 Women's History Month celebration (beating out the likes of Peach and Zelda herself):

Nintendo's 2015 Valentine's Day Card promotional:

Her 2016 Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary Wind Waker Amiibo figure (added to the list of current major Zelda amiibos, which up to that point included Smash Bros. roster and Midna):

Tetra's playable sprite in 2015 Super Mario Maker, alongside other leading LoZ veterans: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link, Tingle, Totem Link, and Midna & Wolf Link. (Interestingly, her sprite was added in a 2016 update into the game, later than the other Zelda reps, and just a few months after Sakurai’s ‘15 Smash Fighter Ballot ended)

Even on Play Nintendo's official website, she's one of the very few Zelda reps chosen to represent the franchise to new gamers, alongside Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Epona, Tingle, (noticing a pattern here?) and gorons. She is also the very first character listed in their (2016?) article Link's Super Support Team detailing the supporting cast of the Legend of Zelda series.

Etc.

Nintendo clearly hasn't forgotten about her - on the contrary. The way they've used the character (from Wind Waker's debut all the way up to today) not only implies they have not forgotten Tetra - but that she is an indispensable name for the brand, and even for Nintendo as a whole. Given how well Tetra herself has polled in Japan, that she seems to be one of the last big Zelda characters used consistently for their promotionals that's yet to be represented in Smash, and how well known and loved she is across the gaming 'verse, I can't wait to see how Sakurai adapts her character for Ultimate.

https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

EDIT: Also, to all our new friends ... helloooooooo, new pirate swabbies!!! :D

Last edited:

Firewolf73

Smash Apprentice

It's interesting to me the subtle ways Nintendo keeps promoting Tetra/Toon Zelda as an iconic character in the Zelda brand - and to Nintendo as a whole - long after her original debut in Wind Waker. Her place of prominence on the cover of Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition:

Standing alongside the greatest Nintendo legends in the 2014 Kyary Pamyu Pamyu 3DS commercial in Japan, advertising 3DS as a whole:

Her representation in Nintendo's 2015 Women's History Month celebration (beating out the likes of Peach and Zelda herself):

Nintendo's 2015 Valentine's Day Card promotional:

Even on Play Nintendo's website, she's one of the very few Zelda reps chosen to represent the franchise to new gamers, alongside Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Epona, Tingle, and gorons.

Etc.

Nintendo clearly hasn't forgotten about her - on the contrary. The way they use the character not only implies they have not forgotten Tetra - but that she is an indispensable name for the brand, and even Nintendo as a whole. Given how well Tetra herself has polled in Japan, that she seems to be one of the last big Zelda characters used consistently for their promotionals that's yet to be represented in Smash, and how well known and loved she is across the gaming 'verse, I can't wait to see how Sakurai adapts her character for Ultimate.

Wow, that’s awesome to see! Tetra appears often in a lot of promotions and articles too, she’s probably one of the most popular Zelda characters alongside Link, Ganondorf, Zelda and Midna. Let’s hope she makes it in.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
So how do ya'll think the internet will react if Tetra gets revealed for Smash? A splash? A tsunami? The greatest thing since Spirit Train locomotion? People seemed reserved about her on Rate Their Chances. I think, if Nintendo reveals Skull Kid, Tetra, and Impa next Direct, it could blow up the internet even harder than the Belmonts, what with Skull Kid's fame (and some infamy) recently, as well as Impa and Toon Zelda's cult favorite status.

In other news: International Talk Like a Pirate Day is just a little over a week away, me hearties! Yo-ho-ho! I think I'll be consulting this book pretty shortly!
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-pirate-primer-george-choundas/1111430611?type=eBook
Anyone doing anything? I think I'm going to pick up some nice leather boots to complete my pirate costume. Maybe a nice, wide-rimmed, feathered cap if I manage to scrounge up a few more gold coins, methinks.

And apples.

ALSO! GUYS! MAYBE BIG NEWS! You notice how Smash Bros. skipped updates?? Check out this (rumor) EventHubs is reporting!

Keen-eyed fans have noticed that each blog update is numbered within the code. Thursday's update — Pokémon: Alolan Exeggutor — is blog update number 133. Meanwhile, Bowser is apparently labeled as the 142nd update. Finally, Toon Link's update is blog update 138 (while his memory in the Japanese version of the site is 139).

This means that updates 134, 135, 136, 137, 140, and 141 were outright skipped. Outside of this, blog updates 120 and 121 are the only other numbered entries that were skipped previously.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ct-based-skipped-numbered-updates-smash-blog/

This means that whatever updates may have been scheduled to go live for the Direct Event, Toon Link was set to pop up right in the frickin' middle of them! Really, convenient timing, eh, EH? 'Specially with all this Wind Waker talk on the blog lately! Whatsuuuuup, Sakurai?? :D We see what you did there with that islander Pokemon update!!

Last edited:

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
ALSO! GUYS! MAYBE BIG NEWS! You notice how Smash Bros. skipped updates?? Check out this (rumor) EventHubs is reporting!

Keen-eyed fans have noticed that each blog update is numbered within the code. Thursday's update — Pokémon: Alolan Exeggutor — is blog update number 133. Meanwhile, Bowser is apparently labeled as the 142nd update. Finally, Toon Link's update is blog update 138 (while his memory in the Japanese version of the site is 139).

This means that updates 134, 135, 136, 137, 140, and 141 were outright skipped. Outside of this, blog updates 120 and 121 are the only other numbered entries that were skipped previously.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...ct-based-skipped-numbered-updates-smash-blog/

This means that whatever updates may have been scheduled to go live for the Direct Event, Toon Link was set to pop up right in the frickin' middle of them! Really, convenient timing, eh, EH? 'Specially with all this Wind Waker talk on the blog lately! Whatsuuuuup, Sakurai?? :D We see what you did there with that islander Pokemon update!!
As interesting as this sounds, I figure it won't amount to anything.

Regardless, I still have hope, so add me to the supporter list, please.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Ok I'm totally calling it but next direct that shows windwaker hd to switch means tetra chances are heavily high

Last edited:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Tomorrow’s a new Nintendo Direct, and another opportunity for the legendary pirate princess to make her long awaited debut in Smash Bros! Let me sell you on her chances to join the battle - if not in this Direct, then in one soon to come!

Between my previous, newly updated “subtle ways Nintendo keeps spotlighting Tetra” post and this other post I’ve pulled and updated with new findings from another thread, this is a compilation of all the hints, oddities and coincidences I believe all point to Tetra being among Smash Bros. Ultimate’s strongest contenders for newcomers! I think we’re headed for smooth sailing, lads and lasses! Especially given the character’s consistent presence in polls since Brawl days even up to WiiU DLC polls: strongest Zelda contender in Smashboards' 2015 ballot, second strongest under Young Link in a separate "SSB4 Dojo Poll," and mentioned by Sakurai by name (as Tetra) as early as pre-Brawl days.

(SmashBoards '15 Poll Data) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KziBciEbTTXIya-9cvbEx2keGKS48eOMpWY090Ou0ys/edit#gid=0
(SSB4 Dojo Poll Data) https://surveynuts.com/surveys/take?id=33515&c=272007757NNRD
(SSB4 Dojo's Smash Poll Data Consolidation) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=0
(Pre-SSB4 Japanese polls round-up by SmashChu featuring Toon Zelda) https://smashboards.com/threads/obs...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
(Pre-Brawl Japanese polls round-up by kilroy featuring Tetra) https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

It's interesting to me the subtle ways Nintendo keeps promoting Tetra/Toon Zelda as an iconic character in the Zelda brand - and to Nintendo as a whole - long after her original debut in Wind Waker. Her place of prominence on the cover of the 2018 Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition for Switch:

As well as its predecessor, 2016 Hyrule Warriors Legends (which featured a Tetra advertising campaign leading up to the time of Sakurai's Smash Fighter Ballot of '15):

Standing alongside other greatest Nintendo legends in the 2014 Kyary Pamyu Pamyu 3DS commercial in Japan, advertising 3DS as a whole:

Nintendo's 2015 Valentine's Day Card promotion:

Her 2016 Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary Wind Waker Amiibo figure (added to the list of current major Zelda amiibos, which up to that point included Smash Bros. roster and Midna):

Tetra's playable sprite in 2015 Super Mario Maker, alongside other leading LoZ veterans: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link, Tingle, Totem Link, and Midna & Wolf Link. (Interestingly, her sprite was added in a 2016 update into the game, later than the other Zelda reps, and just a few months after Sakurai’s ‘15 Smash Fighter Ballot ended)

Even on Play Nintendo's official website, she's one of the very few Zelda reps chosen to represent the franchise to new gamers, alongside Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Epona, Tingle, (noticing a pattern here?) and gorons. She is also the very first character listed in their (2016?) article Link's Super Support Team detailing the supporting cast of the Legend of Zelda series.

Etc.

Nintendo clearly hasn't forgotten about her - on the contrary. The way they've used the character (from Wind Waker's debut all the way up to today) not only implies they have not forgotten Tetra - but that she is an indispensable name for the brand, and even for Nintendo as a whole. Given how well Tetra herself has polled in Japan, that she seems to be one of the last big Zelda characters used consistently for their promotions that's yet to be represented in Smash, and how well known and loved she is across the gaming 'verse, I can't wait to see how Sakurai adapts her character for Ultimate.

Sakurai's already tried to include [Tetra] in Smash (possibly) once already. She's one of the better known Zelda characters in Japan, one of the most recurring characters in Zelda - considering she's a single character from one era of Zelda that came back three separate times after Wind Waker, which is A LOT for any individual Zelda character - and had a lot of attention leading up to the fighter ballot in '15. She led the advertising campaign for Hyrule Warriors Legends, enjoyed renewed popularity with Wind Waker HD not long before that, and (although she didn't personally appear in it), probably also enjoyed some help from another Toon Zelda game - Triforce Heroes - which was released just months before the ballot began (interestingly, Triforce Heroes was originally supposed to be a sequel to Link Between Worlds, but reverted back to Toon Zelda style because it's so popular). Toon LoZ's continuing popularity was also evidenced in Pirate Ship (Tetra's own ship), being the only non-64/non-newcomer stage introduced via DLC aside from Mario Maker and Miiverse, and the only major Zelda-themed content we received via DLC for WiiU Smash Bros., apart from Link’s cap & tunic and Majora's Mask costumes. Which may be a clue as to how well Toon Zelda/Tetra did in Sakurai's unseen polls. Tetra is also a leading star in Zelda director Aonuma's own favorite Zelda game: Phantom Hourglass - which incidentally started receiving strange representation of its own starting in WiiU with Zelda's new down-B Phantom Slash attack; pirate Tetra also featured prominently as a trophy, being one of the few representatives from Legend of Zelda chosen for Smash Tour's mode, included among Bunny Hood and Majora's Mask. Also of note, Toon Link's home stage for Ultimate was set for Spirit Train - a game he did not originate from and is not most well known by - while Tetra's Pirate Ship stage (popular enough to come back for DLC and emblematic of one of Zelda's most iconic games), remains currently unaffiliated.

This is all aside from the fact that Tetra herself one of the most expressive, developed, unique characters in Zelda lore, a fan-favorite, and an honest to goodness pirate (which Smash utterly lacks). Her addition would balance out the aesthetic of the Zelda roster well, which looks a little serious and Fire Emblem-y right now, while Toon Link sticks out like a sore thumb - which I don't think fully appreciates the Zelda series' wide range of settings and tones. Given that Toon Zelda's already strongly represented in stages, and Sakurai evidently wanted to create the character at one point - it seems profoundly evident Tetra would be a natural character to consider.

EDIT: I want to amend one point made here, after Legendary Spirit Tamer informed me of a few things. Sakurai considering Tetra for Brawl comes from datamined information containing files named for Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik. While these may be placeholder names, we this is difficult to verify, as most characters use their literal names for their files. We do have instances of Sakurai using nonspecific names for character files, such as Melee's use of the title "Fireemblem" for Roy. Considering "Toon Zelda" would have been a clone of an already existing character (given they are a clone of a transforming character, this is a unique situation) who was still at a conceptual stage, it's hard to say whether "Toon Sheik" was supposed to be a literal reference for her or not. At the very least, I think it likely Sakurai would have eventually changed this character to Tetra anyway if that was not already the plan, as Tetra had been polling very well (and based on all the data I can find, far better than Toon Zelda, who I can find no polling references to, and any other Zelda contender for that matter that has yet to make the roster) - and it was clear this general character was on his radar, whether it be Tetra or Toon Zelda. However, it is important to clarify that there is currently no concrete proof to point to that Tetra was planned for Brawl. Thanks Legendary Spirit Tamer!

I don’t know about you, but I think Tetra deserves another shot on Rate Their Chances! What are your thoughts on Tetra’s chances to join the Ultimate battle?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Tomorrow’s a new Nintendo Direct, and another opportunity for the legendary pirate princess to make her long awaited debut in Smash Bros! Let me sell you on her chances to join the battle - if not in this Direct, then in one soon to come!

Between my previous, newly updated “subtle ways Nintendo keeps spotlighting Tetra” post and this other post I’ve pulled and updated with new findings from another thread, this is a compilation of all the hints, oddities and coincidences I believe all point to Tetra being among Smash Bros. Ultimate’s strongest contenders for newcomers! I think we’re headed for smooth sailing, lads and lasses! Especially given the character’s consistent presence in polls since Brawl days even up to WiiU DLC polls: strongest Zelda contender in Smashboards' 2015 ballot, second strongest under Young Link in a separate "SSB4 Dojo Poll," and mentioned by Sakurai by name (as Tetra) as early as pre-Brawl days.

(SmashBoards '15 Poll Data) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KziBciEbTTXIya-9cvbEx2keGKS48eOMpWY090Ou0ys/edit#gid=0
(SSB4 Dojo Poll Data) https://surveynuts.com/surveys/take?id=33515&c=272007757NNRD
(SSB4 Dojo's Smash Poll Data Consolidation) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=0
(Pre-SSB4 Japanese polls round-up by SmashChu featuring Toon Zelda) https://smashboards.com/threads/obs...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/
(Pre-Brawl Japanese polls round-up by kilroy featuring Tetra) https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

I don’t know about you, but I think Tetra deserves another shot on Rate Their Chances! What are your thoughts on Tetra’s chances to join the Ultimate battle?
This is a wonderfully done thorough analysis of Tetra's history with Nintendo. Plenty of this info is news to me, lots of stuff I had no idea about; it's always great to hear characters like Tetra are still receiving attention and love from the company even today. Excellent analysis, Cap'n!

I do wish we had a better idea of just how well Tetra placed on the official pre-Brawl poll, though. Because as far as I can tell, she did well enough to show up in the listing but there's no other clear information available to us that shows just how well she performed and what her placement on the poll is as a result of the votes she received. Maybe I'm just overlooking something, or something could be buried somewhere within that thread's 60 pages.

On note of her usage in promotions, one thing I always thought was interesting was that it was a "toon" Link and Zelda that appeared alongside numerous other Nintendo icons in that Japanese 3DS commercial. They didn't appear alongside other variations of Link and Zelda, either. They were just there, along with the likes of Mario, Bowser, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Samus, the newer Isabelle, and more. They specifically chose a Link and Zelda that follow Wind Waker's artstyle. And unlike in Smash, they didn't appear alongside another, more realistic-looking Link, nor with a more-realistic Zelda. I think it's a good sign that the toon games have grown in popularity among fans, and that Nintendo is not only aware of it, but has plenty of faith in that popularity and charm of the characters to use them in marketing, standing right alongside other Nintendo legends like that. I think at least some of this popularity and prominence in promotional materials can likely be owed to Toon Link's debut in Brawl as a separate fighter, and to Wind Waker's own reception that steadily improved with fans over the years since it's release. When Brawl came along, it raised the young hero's popularity (along with that of his debut game) a bit. Some years later, he was considered important enough by the respective developers of Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors to return in both of these two games, once again under the "Toon Link" nickname. I suppose much of this is still just speculation on my part (it was likely Sakurai's own idea to include WW Link over OoT's Young Link in the first place, after all) but you'll find plenty of evidence and sources out there indicating that Wind Waker has enjoyed much better reception as the years went on. Pre-release reception from the Zelda fanbase was extremely negative and pessimistic. It did better upon release, and critics adored it as soon as they got to play it, but fans were still largely turned off by either the cel-shading or the sailing because it was seen as "padding". No doubt, it's simply aged very nicely, enjoying a vindication over the years in which it won over many more fans, from people who had discovered it recently, to longtime fans who had already played the game with a formerly less than positive opinion of it. However, I don't think it's exactly unfounded to suggest that Toon Link's unexpected appearance and reception in Brawl helped renew interest in the Wind Waker, and possibly Phantom Hourglass as well. I don't doubt that Spirit Tracks would later create more interest in it's predecessors, too.

It should be clear enough that Tetra is a character Sakurai is very much aware of; and likely has considered before. Recalling the discussion of Tetra and the unused Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik characters in Brawl from the Smash Ultimate Discussion Thread the other day, I will state my thoughts on that unused data here in Tetra's thread, as well; I do think it was most likely a Toon Sheik that Sakurai initially considered. Sheik's absence from other Zelda games didn't prevent the devs from giving her a new Twilight Princess-styled design for Brawl and Wii U/3DS, and the same applies for a Link Between Worlds-design in Ultimate. Besides that, we've already gone over the consistency of the file names; true indeed, not every character name in the data is literal, but for the most part, they clearly are. I'd like to think Tetra would've been considered in her place if the unused characters got far enough into development before the game's release. but we simply can't know that for sure. And while I don't want to think too deeply about every single thing the man does or is involved with, but it's truly great to see him talking about the Wind Waker recently. We can certainly hope it's a good sign, for now. I fully agree that there's more than enough evidence to conclude that Tetra has been on his mind multiple times by now. She's got enough going for her that we can say that much with confidence.

I have to say, I feel better about Tetra's chances to appear as a newcomer after reading many of your posts here, though I personally don't want to get too hopeful. I suppose I just don't want to set myself up for an even bigger disappointment if she simply doesn't make it after all, as I would still be disappointed enough by that same revelation even with the low confidence about her chances that I used to have. It doesn't help that I've been around here long enough to see other characters who were supposedly very likely newcomers for the previous game get disconfirmed. We know now that some of them have finally made it into this new game (Ridley and K. Rool are the greatest examples of this, so far; in fact, I felt very confident about K. Rool's chances after Ridley's surprise appearance, and also after the reveal that every veteran was returning), a game that is the work of developers (especially Sakurai himself) who are clearly going all out just to make fans of this franchise and all those partaking in the crossover truly happy, so this does go around the other way, to some extent. Not every candidate is so fortunate, however (Waluigi and Ashley come to mind). So I myself just don't want to get my hopes up too high......yet, anyway. I do think we should all have some more confidence in her chances now, however. But I also believe that we should remain cautious, as well, in case it turns out that we're still sailing on rough waters. That's just the midnset I tend follow, I suppose. So you know what? Don't let these words of mine discourage any of you from becoming more optimistic about Tetra. Optimism is a great thing to have, and not just for a matter like this. It's a great attitude to have in general, it gives you a good mood and it helps you keep moving forward in life, even if things aren't going too well for you sometimes; so if any of you here are feeling optimistic, hang onto that positive feeling for a good while, alright?

With all that said, great post, once again, Cap'n. Here's hoping for a smooth journey to a newcomer reveal for our favorite pirate princess. I don't know who we'll see revealed tomorrow's Direct (surely we'll see at least one newcomer who isn't an Echo Fighter), but let's all have a little more optimism for it! I'm sure it'll be a pleasant surprise, and there's more where that came from. We've got a few months left to go. More lies in store that is not yet known to us. If we don't see captain Tetra tomorrow, we may instead see her another day.

Last edited:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Thanks ole King of Phantoms!

Not sure Sakurai posted the poll numbers - I think it was mostly about what characters were popular and popped out to him. Either way, a good sign for Tetra.

While US's reactions to Wind Waker were definitely controversial (even mine, back in the day - silly, silly Cap'n), that definitely wasn't the case for Japan. They ate that game up! After OoT's era (and before Breath of the Wild), director Aonuma's favorite Zelda game - Phantom Hourglass - was the absolute best selling game in the series, with Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks both running up a little below it. None of the other games come close. To Japan - Wind Waker era Legend of Zelda reigns supreme in popular mythos. It's part of the reason Tetra enjoys her lasting fame. Check out Oscar Lemaire's chart comparing Zelda game sales in Japan.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/french...ales-in-japan-since-majoras-mask-first-relea/

So really, it should hardly be a surprise at all that Legend of Zelda representation in Japan is gonna be all about them 'Toons. Serious Link with a serious face bores them to tears - cat eyes are where it's at! I mean, kudos for awesome taste: of all the big Zelda games, you had to fall in love with the one about pirates. I love you, Japan.

Honestly, it's hardly a surprise either that the biggest Zelda characters apart from Smash Bros. fighters that make their way around the mainstream market tend to be Tingle, Tetra, and Midna. Just like there's a reason our Zelda amiibo options, Super Mario Maker's playable Zelda sprites, Hyrule Warriors posterboys/girls, and Play Nintendo's own Legend of Zelda supporting cast webpages all tend to feature exactly the same select few family of characters.

What a nice, diverse bunch, they are! A green-capped guy with a shield and sword, a magic princess, an angry bearded guy in a cape, a ninja, a cartoony, cat-eyed kid what looks like a Peter Pan wannabe, an actual Peter Pan wannabe, a little imp and her wolf friend, and a lovable pirate. I'd Netflix that. They look fun! They look approachable! I'm going to buy that game for my kid!

I mean, just look at the main five cast members spotlighted on USA Hyrule Warriors website's front page: Link, Sheik, Tetra, Midna, Ganondorf. The warrior, the ninja, the pirate, the imp, and the dark lord. They look distinct, they act distinct, they are artistically distinct - they balance each other so well. Heck, Tetra just beat freaking Princess Zelda (and Skull Kid and Impa, for that matter) for front page spotlight. That's how well she's liked round these parts.
https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/ ("Choose from fan-favorite characters like Ganondorf, Tetra, Skull Kid, and Ravio")

The best part? This family of characters really started to coalesce into a big thing right around that '15-'16 sweet spot: Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker, Play Nintendo - you name it.

That Wind Waker became a cult favorite in US despite its unfairly un-receptive initial audience - is testament to the Toon Legend of Zelda series' lovability, permanence, and lucrativity to the brand. We've already seen Tetra's got lasting appeal in the US in the various polls I cited, more than a decade and a half past her original debut. Judging by where they put their money, if Japan was going to vote for a single Zelda character, odds are it's going to be someone from Phantom Hourglass, Wind Waker, or Spirit Tracks. And we know what all three of those games tend to have in common.

"Who now?"

Tetra/Toon Zelda's got a big US audience and a yuger Japanese audience. That means she's got cross-continental appeal. That means you cash in on her success, and that means you promote the **** out of her, with amiibos, with articles and websites introducing kids and new gamers to your franchise, with promotions, with action figures, with cameos in other characters' games, with entire advertising campaigns centered around that blessed godsend of a pirate princess to launch your new game for everyone's favorite handheld console.

Who else but Miss Tetra?

Glad I could win you over on her chances, King! It wouldn’t look it, but Tetra's odds are some of the best-looking in this here Smash Bros. balloting shindig. It's not a question of if Tetra's mainstream, or deserving, or wanted. It's a question of just how much. Considering most of her competition got assist'd or stage hazard'd already, most of what stands in her way is just a dearth of newcomers in general. Which is what we got echos for, if it comes to that. Metroid got two newcomers introduced in this game, and it'd received an original moveset introduced to Smash Bros. more recently than Zelda has. Honestly, I'm just waiting around for the announcement.

PS: A relevant observation for a common objection I've seen from detractors: Zelda and Tetra are treated as separate characters on the Japanese Zelda anthology website (and basically everywhere else). Which, given we're talking about the pirate girl who ditched the look, ditched the name, ditched the princess title, and ditched the Triforce of Wisdom itself - Tetra's pretty much Princess Zelda's polar opposite character anyway. Sheik was Zelda's alter ego, but Tetra was her entire life after she tossed the name Zelda out the back window and exchanged her ballgown dress for a cutlass and flintlock pistol, and that very fashionable red scarf. There's no evidence she even wore the dress again after the events of Wind Waker. By her own choice, she's not Zelda. Just a neat little factoid. Tetra for non-Triforce trio Zelda representation! Also pirate representation!
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/zelda/characters/index.html

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Tetra is fun, heartfelt and cool. I honestly give her a pass for being Zelda, would bring a full pirate move set for Smash and personality.

I guess I don't mind being on the support list for whatever.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Not long now, me hearties! I can hardly wait! Here's a great rendition of Fifteen Men to savor while we slog through these unsteady waters. May the legendary pirate princess find her prize today!

You all got any pirate music you enjoy listening to?

Top Bottom