• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing/Request thread and eventual guide!**THIS WEEK'S TESTING:Raptor Boost/Fsmash**

Wogrim

Smash Lord
yeah i looked it over multiple times, I just can't freggin understand why it hit???? im pretty sure it's not SDI, i think there may be a way to increase the hitbox. Sadly im not going to put it on youtube yet, I still have "real life" crap to do first

you may have won the battle Sakurai, but the war is not over
Just send it to me (check my "Falcon Favor" thread).

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
anyways........im pretty sure that Utilt is by far Falcon's main move for spacing, Falcon's leg has amazing reach but it also has a disjointed hitbox, it's not that big but still it gives him a boost in range

also I was playing my bro's Mario and I pulled off a knee on him, but heres the thing, i was nowhere near him and it connected! to give you an idea of how far away he was when it connected, he was (from falcon's knee) approximatly one Nair away.........if that makes sense? it was just abnormally far, I think there may be a way to extend falcon's knee hitbox range like how Pikachu can extend his Dsmash hitbox range.
this sounds way too great.btw wii internet sucks,maybe i should switch over to cpu

Wogrim

Smash Lord
this sounds way too great.btw wii internet sucks,maybe i should switch over to cpu
CPUs don't play like humans. They do some things quite well, but they don't know the good combos, don't chaingrab, do certain things very predictably, and will put you into bad habits that don't work on real people. Try to find local people and better hours to play (certain hours are always laggy) and you can get to negligible latency.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
CPUs don't play like humans. They do some things quite well, but they don't know the good combos, don't chaingrab, do certain things very predictably, and will put you into bad habits that don't work on real people. Try to find local people and better hours to play (certain hours are always laggy) and you can get to negligible latency.
lols i was talking about the actual internet where you browse the web and stuff.i d rather play basic brawl than with a cpu

ChibiPichu

Smash Journeyman
@ 2:30 +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzhewpKBORQ

Good use of Uair on my part (I'm ICW?!): this is a wifi match, both key and I had some very bad lag, not to mention this is VERY OLD, so my Falcon was not as developed back then ><;;
Yeah, but age doesn't change a good match, only thing I could really find wrong with that video was the use of Falcon Kick... SPAM!!! from Key
But anyways, that was a good game and Key was a good fighter and was able to bring himself out of that bad spot where he gained a lot of damage, I love to see a Falcon player able to slow down a little and get the enemies damage meter up (my style against Diddy Kong unless they make a mistake O.o )

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Yeah, but age doesn't change a good match, only thing I could really find wrong with that video was the use of Falcon Kick... SPAM!!! from Key
But anyways, that was a good game and Key was a good fighter and was able to bring himself out of that bad spot where he gained a lot of damage, I love to see a Falcon player able to slow down a little and get the enemies damage meter up (my style against Diddy Kong unless they make a mistake O.o )
They also did a terrible job on punishing a bunch of each others' mistakes.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
They also did a terrible job on punishing a bunch of each others' mistakes.
That's exactly why I highlighted the fact that it's old. Haven't heard from key lately, but I'm sure he's improved a lot. I know for myself, having been to some recent tourneys and practicing non stop, my Falcon has gotten a helluva lot better, not to mention I've picked up on how to take advantage of situations such as the ones you mentioned, punishing. Good to hear though, I'll make sure I look for opportunities like this more ^.^

Wogrim

Smash Lord
That's exactly why I highlighted the fact that it's old. Haven't heard from key lately, but I'm sure he's improved a lot. I know for myself, having been to some recent tourneys and practicing non stop, my Falcon has gotten a helluva lot better, not to mention I've picked up on how to take advantage of situations such as the ones you mentioned, punishing. Good to hear though, I'll make sure I look for opportunities like this more ^.^
I know that's why you said it, it's just he made it sound near-perfect so I felt like I should point out something that needed improvement.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Raptor Boost is a bunch less punishable than Falcon Kick, and even though it can be shield-grabbed most other moves are too slow to punish it after a shield. It's a bigger problem if it gets spot-dodged or they actually attack you. I found out against a G&W that you don't want to use this to get back on the stage if they have a projectile, since it bounces on the projectile and then you get the ugly landing lag while they smash you in the face. Raptor Boost should basically never be used in the air unless offstage and your opponent can't edgehog it. My best use for it is when the opponent is trying to kill me offstage and they're coming in at an angle to intercept me with FAir as I'm falling towards the stage, so they'll be a bit below me if I Boost.

FSmash I've noticed is pretty sexy against SH'd aerials due to it's leanback and good range, although your opponent may still hit your forward leg/foot depending on their attack's hitbox and if they're poking it or coming all the way in. Other than that, it's usually a lot more punishable than DSmash because it moves you closer to your target, allowing them to Smash you right away as opposed to DSmash, which has good range and keeps them away unless they spot-dodged it from close range (where I'd jab or grab instead). It also has a bit less knockback than DSmash's forward kick, although since I use a lot of DSmash it's sometimes nice for a fresh move.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Foxtrot F-smash is nice. Just... try it. ;]

Raptor boost to interrupt / mix up your foxtrot rythm is frustrating to go against.

Why yes, I do foxtrot in brawl.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
here's the thing I was talking about

in training (with falcon obviously) go to FD and SH raptor boost as fast as you can (should be quick enough to almost cancel into a slide pretty quickly, but it's useless on flat stages. HOWEVER use this on yoshi's island and weird things happen, because the stage is indented to create slopes you can cancel into the slide ALOT quicker allowing fora quick follow up. Man I really don't want to say this but...........this can be a new wave dash on YI, but you have to slide your fingers REALLY fast for this to work (it works like the mock waveland), pretty much as fast as it take to SH wizard kick to the ground instantly so it will take time to practice.

Wogrim

Smash Lord

in training (with falcon obviously) go to FD and SH raptor boost as fast as you can (should be quick enough to almost cancel into a slide pretty quickly, but it's useless on flat stages. HOWEVER use this on yoshi's island and weird things happen, because the stage is indented to create slopes you can cancel into the slide ALOT quicker allowing fora quick follow up. Man I really don't want to say this but...........this can be a new wave dash on YI, but you have to slide your fingers REALLY fast for this to work (it works like the mock waveland), pretty much as fast as it take to SH wizard kick to the ground instantly so it will take time to practice.
And for FSmash?

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
You guys have Fsmash boost, right? Its just Dash away, and with the timing you'd use for a dash-dance, you push the c-stick toward the opponent. You get a small boost both away, for a quick dodge, plus a small boost forward too, extending the range on your move. Its very nice, I almost ALWAYS Fsmash boost.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord

hmm.yeah its pretty stupid on flat stages and especially lyat cruise.i find it real easy to do on nunchuk though.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
And for FSmash?
well Fsmash ties into the mock-waveland, im able to stop all my momentum while in the slide and kind of cancel it into a Fsmash (I say kinda because it looks like it but I haven't done it enough to confirm it). but this is just one slide, if hypathetically we say that Falcon's landing lag can be canceled to a Fsmash due to IASA frames, this could be REALLY helpful.

*side note on Raptor boost. When you raptor boost all your momentum stops like it did in melee which can be used to bring back some melee characteristics that Falcon had, but wern't really used. An example would be platform dashing? also because it stops all momentum could this be used to help falcon recover????*

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
i know it's not new but it's got some serious potential I think should be looked into, like on YI you can serious mock-waveland everywhere on the stage making your Falcon sexier than he already is
i dont think any move can follow up after this,the best thing do to after this is only jabs.if you try this you must space yourself,because if you run into your opponet than you would get punished.probably by dsmash

Wogrim

Smash Lord
It's just like the one where you're coming from offstage and Raptor Boost barely onto the stage, allowing you to do any ground move while sliding, right? From what I remember it looks like you're getting a laggy landing (while sliding), but it's just an animation you can interrupt whenever you want.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
It's just like the one where you're coming from offstage and Raptor Boost barely onto the stage, allowing you to do any ground move while sliding, right? From what I remember it looks like you're getting a laggy landing (while sliding), but it's just an animation you can interrupt whenever you want.
yeah it is

Top Bottom