• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Testing gah...

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
SWF is the biggest site with the MOST info of all time on smash. more vids as well. i have tio on my computer and when tournies are done......they will be on the net just like u want.

if anybody hasnt added my brawl number, plz do. ive added all of u guys today.

Gea

Smash Master
SWF is the biggest site with the MOST info of all time on smash. more vids as well. i have tio on my computer and when tournies are done......they will be on the net just like u want.

if anybody hasnt added my brawl number, plz do. ive added all of u guys today.
You suck. SWF is slow and their layout is horrible. While you can manually post results they aren't tracked over time the same way and this thread for Houston is just a cluster**** of randomness.

Have some foresight. For how much older this site is I'd hope it has more people on at any given time. But the quality of the site is terrible now.

Xyro77

I personaly would love to see a snake main in houston.

also, i played mouf the other day. he mains WARIO. WAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA its really is pretty good. on the 5th u guys will get a smell of warios fart.

again, any questions concerning the tourney. plz PM me.

heytallman

CTALL
i have to pee: Snake is so fun to use, and the C4 and his down smash are pretty devastating. And placing C4 on people's heads is indeed a great feeling.

Xyro: I know you said to go to PM for stuff regarding tournament, but I'd kinda like other people's opinions on this. First off, I was just wondering why Delfino plaza is on counterpick. Is it because of that one or two parts where it has walk off edges? Or is it because of the excessive amount of water? Personally, I think it should be put on random, but, I could be completely wrong about it's neutrality.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
TGM, when is the next HOST??? Texas misses your tournaments!!! :D i know you've been thrwoing tournaments, but i mean huge like everyone in texas + other states come :D :D :D

i have to pee

Smash Rookie
Ewok Tree Village, TX (TX, LA, NM, OK only)
i have to pee: Snake is so fun to use, and the C4 and his down smash are pretty devastating. And placing C4 on people's heads is indeed a great feeling.

Xyro: I know you said to go to PM for stuff regarding tournament, but I'd kinda like other people's opinions on this. First off, I was just wondering why Delfino plaza is on counterpick. Is it because of that one or two parts where it has walk off edges? Or is it because of the excessive amount of water? Personally, I think it should be put on random, but, I could be completely wrong about it's neutrality.
Snake's up tilt is amazing and his up smash can easily kill. Not to mention the C4 on the face is awesome. I wish he was faster, but every character is pretty slow compared to Melee anyway.

M

MyTime123

hey *****es, its chino and hes playing brawl, ima go to the next tourney so sessy keep me updated and tgm my cell number is 2816914056, call me and let me know when u get on. ask for chino

Velox

Smash Ace
I have a new advanced technique for Brawl that is "game changing".

What you do is push the eject button and switch out "Brawl" for "Melee" and the game is instantly much more advanced.

It works for any character, try it!

M

MyTime123

2019-9486-4867 brawl fc. hey velox lets play, " dude ur my best friend!!!"

Velox

Smash Ace
One of the main problems I have found with Brawl is that it is relying simply on more basic techniques. Pretty much if you just space and camp, and turn the game into a scene no more complicated then how a basketball fan can tell how good his favorite basketball team is and why, with statements like "oh, they play an aggressive defense, they play man-to-man defence, etc." Sure, there is skill involved, but it's less. Hell, unless you're ********, it's hard to make mistakes in Brawl...

Making Brawl competitive will be like making tic-tac-toe a little more complicated and subsequently competitive... ...now I was never really good at Melee, and I know I won't be good at Brawl, but I can definatly tell these things about the games...

The other day I had a Toon Link fall down at my Marth from the sky, I u-tilted right when the Toon Link was about to get to me, he air dodged, and was able to land and then d-smash me before I was able to shield after my u-tilt! WTF, this game is allowing noobs to do pretty much whatever they want to do without fear of consequence, baring say a wiffed smash attack. All they have to do is simple camping, spacing, and not do anything dumb and they can compete with the best players out there. Sure I haven't seen Ken play a random player who isn't dumb, but isn't amazing yet, but this all makes sense to me.

I don't know if it makes any sense to you guys, but taking advantage of things that simply couldn't be done in Melee was the only things that made me decent at the game, but now, there is such freedom that basic, real-life-football strategy is as complicated as it gets. I don't think I'll like Brawl at all...

Gea

Smash Master
You're oversimplifying Brawl. Better players still hold massive advantanges over other players that are more casual. The biggest difference is yes, punishing some moves is MUCH more difficult with mobility stripped.

However, you neglect things like techchasing. People are predictable to those who know how to play the game. Players are more likely to tech the way they DI and also to tech away from the edge towards the middle of the stage. Many players (especially now where rolling is much more important) will roll behind you if pressured, so you can preemptively downsmash.

These "rules" of thumb quickly add up to more than a stock advantage. If you feel threatened by casual players placing better in tournaments you need to work on parts of your game like this.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Hear me out

before typing this up. I know i have the worst grammar in the world so please try to ignore it the best you can.

:/

Alright knowing Allan saying that the Houston scene is completely done with melee. I have something i want to say. I know i dont really speak that much nor do that much with the community down here. There is just something that is super annoying to me about the whole transition we are being put through. As all you do know a new game came out a couple weekends ago called Super Smash Brother Brawl... DUH!

That being sad... brawl moving into a house where a certain melee would stay. Kicking and screaming wanting melee to share the bed with it. Melee being the push over it is kindly gets up and lets a more... dumbed down slightly more childish version of it self slide under its covers.

my big issue at hand here Houston is.. That every single one of us has thrown something away. Something everyone worked so hard to build and gain for the last few years. Now the Houston scene has not allways been the greatest nor the biggiest thing out there. But it started out with pretty much me, sethlon, TGM, Gea, Rayzorium, Tobias... and a few others.. Just people that were okay at the game.

I personally think everyone just not playing melee anymore.. is the idiotic thing i have ever heard of in my life. Everyone who wants to do away with melee is pretty much just putting a good talent/skill to waste. Its pointless and stupid to just do something like that. So...

With that in mind. I think we should really take a vote on weather or not we do more Melee tournaments. I still want to play brawl but i would like to see at least a once and awhile thing where it is strictly just a melee tournament. Brawl is a great game... I just dont get the excitement that i got from melee.... :(

I know there are a few people out there that will support me on this.
Ronnie, James.. and a few others.
I know there is one person out there that will not... Allan

Just think about it you tried to get somewhere for so long only to just toss somthing to the side like it was that really creepy red headed steped child

well i guess all i can get from this is flame and maybe one or two agreements

thanks... i suppose

-Gabriel Villarreal

G@BE

Smash Lord
Thats my point that exactly what i want to do.

Allan just says do away with Melee all together... I think every once and awhile we should try and do one full melee tournament.

i have to pee

Smash Rookie
Ewok Tree Village, TX (TX, LA, NM, OK only)
Okay, I went back and played Melee (I hadn't played it since Brawl came out) and I must say, it makes Brawl look even more garbage. I could give a paragraph or two about why the game is completely inferior but everyone already knows why. Nintendo is only interested in making accessible games. They don't care about competitiveness or strategy. Look at how they dumb down every franchise they can. I find it so funny the Wii even sells so well considering no real third party developers want to touch it.

I vote we all switch to Marvel VS Capcom for the Dreamcast. That game contains unmeasurable amounts of win.

M

MyTime123

stilts, u can lick my balls for ignoring me, this forum just became a personal kill zone where u and i are enemies, when i see u im gonna face plant-cha!!! ( getchu! ) what the hell is ur brawl fc so i can kick ur nuts in?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
The other day I had a Toon Link fall down at my Marth from the sky, I u-tilted right when the Toon Link was about to get to me, he air dodged, and was able to land and then d-smash me before I was able to shield after my u-tilt!
So to get around this, you wait for him to airdodge and then grab/fsmash him on his landing. Just another layer of yomi.

Marvel vs Capcom requires you to be on crack to keep up with all the stuff thats going on, + very poor character balancing. Guilty Gear = teh win.

EnTragic

Smash Cadet
Sigh.. Just give brawl some time... Its been out for only for less then 2 weeks.. You can't expect brawl to pick up where melee left off can you?

Brawl is like a new shoe.. You gotta wear it in a little bit.. haha..

Everyone knows how wearing new shoes can be ***** to get used to.

Velox

Smash Ace
Gea and Sethlon.... I'm much much smarter than that....

Mark my words, you will see less extremes in players, the players who were worse will be decent now, and the godly players will be less godly in Brawl, there will be a merge in the lines of skill to a certain extent. This game has a bit of a leveling effect.

EnTragic, one of the big problems with this new shoe is that your mobility is almost none. So if the better, smarter players sees an opportunity or creates one, he can almost never act on it in Brawl, that is the result of lower speed, it hurts the smarter players more. NVM, I got to go, and seeing I'm the only discussing the theoretical aspects to begin good at Brawl at this point, the conversation feels one-sided, like usual...

SideEffect

Smash Journeyman
You can give brawl two years, it will never be as good as Melee.

How saddening is it to know we will never go back to Melee even though it is clearly the better game...although... I'd be for having both smash games at tourneys... better than nothing...

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
i agree with gabe, lets play both games...

except i dont think there will be enough people for a melee tourny, but we can still play some melee

killing melee is dumb, and it is the better game... so lets keep it alive

heytallman

CTALL
Guys, let's just switch to competetive guitar hero. It works just the same was as Smash! Best of three, pick one song at random, then the loser can counterpick! Free Bird is, of course, banned, simply because matches would take too long. And there's plenty of advanced techniques! There's hammer-ons and pull-offs, star power, and the whammy bar! Why hasn't Houston moved to Guitar Hero yet?!?!?!?

</joke post>

What, other people are requesting games, why can't I, too?

And I'd still like to know why exactly Delfino Plaza is counterpick only.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Of course I know you're smarter than that chris, but when you complain about something like that...its like saying that you can DI out of marth's fthrow -> fsmash, so now his grab game is useless. *shrug*

Xyro77

PS: if king mesquito answer my PM, the one and only TGM(xyro) will do something that has never been done is smash history.........well at least texas smash history.

ricey09

Smash Cadet
Jeremy Feifer wanted me to post this for him :

im banned for 3 more days
Basically that Im taking a leave from
brawl for 2 years, anyone can still play me in melee, my email is:
jkfeifer@hotmail.com contact me to play, and also brawl will never be
any good because it was ment to be a game anyone can win... they
officially took snaking out of mario kart wii which goes to show
sakurai knew what he wanted out of brawl. This is all.
Im only taking the leave in hopes that the game will pick up.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
EVERY BODY! STFU! YOU WANT F-ing MELEE??!?!?!?!?! ILL GIVE YOU F-ing MELEE! STARTING RIGHT NOW, THIS IS THE ONLY ONE OF MY TOURNAMNETS THAT I WILL DROP BRAWL 2vs2 AND ADD Melee 1vs1. ARE YOU F-ing happy now?!?!?!?!?!?!?! *****!!!!!! AFTER THIS TOURNAMENT, MELEE IS DEAD IN HOUSTON. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CANT HANDLE IT, I DONT CARE. MOVE ON TO BRAWL, WIMPS.....

PS: if king mesquito answer my PM, the one and only TGM(xyro) will do something that has never been done is smash history.........well at least texas smash history.
you know what is funny...when i first started talking about how brawl was going to suck...no one listen to me now look what happened...people are saying melee is better...no amount of you tell them to stick with brawl is going to work...i will admit brawl is funny to play but melee was much better

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol o wow the houston thread has more drama than myspace.

that being said i think everyone needs to get their head out of their a** and realize that brawl isn't supposed to be melee. sure i miss the more fast paced fighting and techs melee had to offer, but did you guys honestly think that sakurai would make an EXACT COPY of melee? mechanics and all?
no, it would be stupid.
just a lame rehash,
sakurai instead changed the engine to be different than melee so that way it would feel like a different game, which he did a good job of doing. so now instead of having two exactly identical games we have two very different games we can both appreciate. if you guys want to play melee by all means go ahead, im sure ill boot it up every now and then too.

but leave tgm alone just because he wants to switch from melee to brawl, if you want to do friendlies in melee, or find a tournament go ahead no one is holding you back. TGM isn't the god of houston, if you want a melee tourney host one yourself, problem solved :D!

point being, two different games, stop b******g, atm im sure everyone and thier mom thinks melee is better, but who was honestly expecting brawl to be the BEST GAME EVAR right off the bat? it was the same with melee and im sure in brawl we'll find our own things we love about it :D

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i like brwal probally because i was not good at melee i wanna play u guys online onii you know you got something coming your way a immensly ghey joke and you should take it...

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
Roy lol, why do you have to anger with me your spamming!?

Roy's Pikachu: D-smash + Thunder, F-smash, and bolt...that's it. That's literally all I saw. Mostly D-smash + Thunder, with 2 F-smash and bolts whenever he wasn't close enough to D-smash, haha. But it only works when I lag. But you know this, so why you'd do such a thing when we're trying to learn...I have no idea :(.

I really want to play everyone irl, but even my friend irl can just pick Wolf, spam his ridiculous F-smash and laser mostly (plus mixing it up a tiny bit with other attacks, but mainly laser and F-smash), and make me only 1- or 2-stock him in a 4-stock game, whereas in Melee I'd 4-stock him all day long. Is it just me, or is Brawl just easier to be good at when compared to Melee? I think the people who love Brawl's competitive side just weren't as good in Melee, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I love Brawl cause it's fun and sexy, but...yeah.

Colombian Falcon

Smash Apprentice
evan, i was just testing something about pikachu....he is gaay. i'll tell you tommorrow.

hmm, i discovered two things about the game, so thanks for the practice evan :lick:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Smash spam works online because of the lag. Don't bother testing stuff while playing online...it's really a waste of time. Practicing in person works better. ;)

Also, nobody can say they're good at Brawl right now. There hasn't been any major tourneys, so...

Top Bottom