• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ten Things All Incoming Freshman (and College Students) Should Know About College

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Link to original post: [drupal=5334]Ten Things All Incoming Freshman (and College Students) Should Know About College [/drupal]

In a little less than a week after I post this essay is Freshman Move In Day at Southeast Missouri State University. I will go about with my usual routine for the day. I will wake up at about 4 AM so I can get there right at 5 and I will have my traditional Move In breakfast of applejack and coffee. Because the parking lot will soon be stuffed with cars of parents and students alike, I will then walk about half a mile to Towers (the main dormitory on campus) with at least a gallon of water in hand (last year I had three). The sun will barely be out and I will be among the first people there. Until about 4 in the afternoon I will help carry everything from TVs to refrigerators to entire wardrobes to any of the 10 stories in each of the four Towers that have dorm rooms. In that time I will meet a large number of freshmen with all sorts of expressions on their faces. You can see the anticipation and the apprehension. You can see the freshman who can’t wait for their parents to go back home but also those who wish they could go back home with their parents. You can readily tell the freshmen who will probably get into goofy shenanigans on a regular basis and those that will more than likely only leave their room for classes and food. The parents are just as varied as the students and it’s equally entertaining watching them too. Some of the parents simply radiate with nostalgia as they quietly reminisce about their college years while others don’t shut up about “the good ol’ days” until they’re back in their minivans. Some of the parents are so excited that they can barely contain themselves while others merely act excited as you can see the sheer amount of grief in their eyes as they let go of their “little” girls and boys. Freshman Move In Day is a big day for parents and students and rightfully so. The future holds many exciting prospects but also challenging obstacles and daunting uncertainties for all of them and it’s a wonder to watch it every year.

It’s hard to believe that nearly four years have passed since I first came to SEMO. I’ve been a college student for six years now and during this time I have collected a lot of fond memories. One of those fond memories is when I moved into the apartment where I still live to this day. I was a transfer student who had spent three semesters living at home going to a community college and one semester studying in England. Despite my experience overseas, I didn’t know how to handle having an apartment or being away from my parents. I was a largely antisocial person who didn’t have any idea of where I was going in life and simply felt like my life was in cruise control. I only went to SEMO because I was too lethargic to look anywhere else and they had a program for the degree I wanted (or thought I did at the time). The day I moved into my apartment was filled with a number of emotions. After I ate dinner with my family I remember the moment before I got into my car to start my newfound life as a “real” college student. My dad shook my hand and told me how proud he was. He told me that this was merely another stretch of track on the road of life that I’d need to overcome and that he hoped that, like his college days, these would end up some of the best of my life. My mom barely said anything most of that day. Her enthusiasm was largely swallowed up by how much she’d miss me. She’d chime in with short comments and smile, all the while being noticeably heartbroken. My older sister kept a brave face the whole day until I got into my car, supposedly becoming a waterfall of tears during the whole two hour trip back to St. Louis. Filled with sadness and excitement, I did a donut in the parking lot of the restaurant before peeling out and heading straight for my apartment. That night, I slept in an unfamiliar bed in an even more unfamiliar apartment. “So what happens now,” I thought as I stayed up most of the night thinking of all the possibilities that could unfold while I was at SEMO.

Overall, college life has treated me well. I’ve been a participant in over two dozen clubs and organizations and have met a countless number of people who would not only enrich my life but forever change it. Like in high school, I still don’t have much school spirit but that doesn’t stop me from enthusiastically expressing how much I love all the hustle and bustle of college life. It’s like the Odyssey and Rumspringa all rolled into one. I’m not exactly Van Wilder but I think there are few people out there who would full heartily endorse the college experience more than I would which is why I’ve decided to write this essay. I was originally holding off on this essay until I had graduated with my masters but, seeing how much I’ve changed and experienced in the past year alone, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of new material to discuss when the time comes. As the title suggests, this essay is meant to not only be encouragement for incoming freshman but for all college students who have ever found themselves sitting with their head in their hands and wondering to themselves “what the Hell am I doing here.” I couldn’t begin to list all the things that I’ve learned since starting college so I’m going to do my best to talk about the ten most important things that I’ve learned that I think every college student should know.

1. College isn’t high school so don’t treat it like such. I put this one at the top of the list because, without a doubt, this is the most common pit that freshmen fall into. Despite living away from home and accepting a ton of new responsibilities, people generally approach college the same way they approached high school. Here’s a few things you should know right off the bat: the classes are harder, the professors will rarely act as safety nets if you don’t study or if you’re failing a class, your parents are no longer around to pick up after you or get you out of jams, and you will be held accountable for your actions like nothing you’ve experienced before. If you ignore these things, college will knock you flat on your *** faster than Rush Limbaugh being offered a chair by Mike Tyson at the National Democratic Convention. Not to scare you off but the number of freshmen who drop out by being overwhelmed by this by the end of their first year is more than 50% nationwide. College will eat you alive if you think you can stay up until 4 in the morning every night playing World of Warcraft or that your roommates will tolerate you eating their snacks when they’re not around. If you think college is continuously like Animal House, you’re sadly mistaken. There is plenty of time for frivolous fun, flamboyant flirting, and a number of other f words (frequent frolicking, for example) but you’ll quickly learn that you’ll have to find balance between work and play unless you want to spent 8 years getting an associate’s degree. The infamous “Freshman 15” is totally avoidable if you teach yourself moderation and solutions for most problems can be found simply by swallowing your pride and asking your professors and parents for help. College is your first step towards becoming an independent adult and, like the first steps of a baby, it’s going to be awkward and off balance and you might wind up crying from frustration or personal injury but, if you can overcome this, not much will get in your way.

2. Don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself and take risks while doing it. Going to college is getting a fresh start in every sense. Everybody starts as a clean slate so don’t mindlessly whip out your accomplishments and stories from high school because, quite frankly, nobody cares including potential employers. Unless you’ve landed a scholarship because of it, nobody cares if you were valedictorian or the captain of the monkey chasing team. Nobody cares about that time you bent over to pick up your pencil in your Creative Writing class your sophomore year and let loose a fart with the force of a small hurricane that sounded like a whale sneezing that earned you the nickname “Foofy McFartypants” until you graduated. Both good and bad, it all becomes virtually irrelevant. Tired of being known as the quiet mousy girl that blushes beet red when anyone talks to her? Now you have the chance to change that. Always wanted to pick up the harmonica but your parents didn’t let you because they found it annoying? Now is your time to do it. What most college students usually don’t catch onto until their junior year is that things are unbelievably open ended in college and that the social pressure to fit in and be cool that existed in high school is almost entirely gone. Some days I like to go to class barefoot or wear a top hat just because I can. I also like to take cat naps on the school fountain on warm days and dress up for Halloween, again, for the simple fact that college offers that much freedom to do so. Did people chastise you for liking Harry Potter in high school? Not anymore they won’t. Another awesome thing about college is that you can be into whatever you want to be into and be as enthusiastic about it as you want. A big part of college is learning how to define yourself so get out there, make some friends, and strive to be the person you always wanted to be.

3. Being a college student doesn’t automatically make you smarter or better than anyone else. I remember during my orientation as a transfer student I sat through one of the most uncomfortable lectures I had ever had the displeasure of being a part of. I had just transferred from a community college and sat through a lecture where a chemistry professor snidely told the audience how privileged they were for going to a state university instead of wasting their time with a “bunch of idiots” at a trade school or community college. He then carried on about how stupid these people were and how they were essentially “pretending” to be college students. Seeing my own experience and how my mother had an associate degree from the school I transferred from, I shrank in my chair feeling overwhelmingly ashamed… and classes hadn’t even begun yet. I felt embarrassed as a number of the students chuckled arrogantly to themselves and I knew based on that these would be attitudes that a lot of them would carry for years to come. I hate to admit that I carried this attitude for a short period of time in 2009 until, after greatly expanding my horizons in the community, I was made to eat humble pie where I saw firsthand how people without degrees were just as important to the wellbeing of society as people with masters’ and doctorates.’ It’s important to remember that college takes a lot of time and money to complete; things that a lot of people are in short supply of. Instead of looking down on the mechanic who works on your car or the waitress who serves you food, be thankful for the work they do. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and chances are you’ll sooner or later get knocked off your high horse by someone who’s unexpectedly precocious in a topic you know nothing about. That being said, don’t even enter the high horse stable to begin with and avoid prejudging people based on their education to avoid looking like a horses’ ***.

4. College isn’t just about going to class. For nearly two years, this was something I didn’t believe at all. I believed that my only reason to go to college was to get a degree as quickly as I could so I could move on with my life. My daily schedule played out almost exactly the same day in and day out. I would go to class and either go right back home or go to work. I wouldn’t talk to anyone and I had virtually no friends. My social life was nonexistent and looking back it was a very empty time in my life. I was learning things in class but I was a level of socially awkward that could only be fittingly described as socially ********. Despite mindlessly acing my classes, I barely remember anything from them and most of the truly important stuff was retaught again and again in different classes each semester. I forgot to have fun and, regrettably, I don’t have any friendships from my community college days or from my studying abroad and most of my memories from those days were me being alone. I started college in the fall of 2006 but it wasn’t until the spring of 2009 that I started having a real social life not only by participating in club events but actually putting myself out there and meeting new people. Campus life offers an absurd number of opportunities for socializing, learning, and fun. From barbeques to seminars to plays to concerts to dances to intermural sports to on campus jobs to a goofy number of clubs and organizations there’s absolutely no reason to not find something to distract you between classes. Put yourself out there and you’ll be amazed at what you’ll find. Also, don’t think your experience should be limited to just the campus itself. Get out in the community every once in a while whether it’s to volunteer at an animal shelter, have a Nerf gun fight with friends at a local park, or relax with a steaming cup of java at a local coffee shop or throw back a few at a local bar while listening to local bands. As John Lennon once said “life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans” so instead of having tunnel vision for a degree, find the time to goof off, relax, and simply enjoy life.

5. If you think all the learning in college happens in the classroom, you’re missing out on a lot. The rocker Frank Zappa once quipped “if you want to get drunk and laid, go to college. If you want to learn, go to a library.” He’s right in a lot of ways but I seriously doubt that any high school principal would ever rattle off this gem of a quote at a graduation ceremony without having a mob of angry parents rush the podium. I would say that most of the important learning doesn’t even happen in class but by simply living life. It may sound overly idealistic but a lot of things can be learned about life by learning how to do your own laundry, how to use a mattress as a toboggan down a flight of stairs, and how to attract the attention of the cute blond in your College Algebra class without violently throwing up on yourself. Important things can be learned while working a part time job, being part of a club, or simply getting into cheeky shenanigans with your friends. This isn’t to say that your studies aren’t important but book smarts don’t hold a candle to street smarts and people skills. Also, I’d highly recommend taking Frank Zappa’s advice and giving the library a visit from time for some recreational reading instead of just for late night, caffeine fueled cramming and kinky snogging sessions in the private reading rooms. Got a random question about something? Find a book or Google it. Don’t limit your learning to the classroom and treat life like an ongoing learning experience. Gandhi once said “live like you were to die tomorrow and learn like you were to live forever” and if you treat your college experience like this, you’ll find it significantly more rewarding then just trying to get a degree.

6. YOLO is for idiots; Carpe Diem is for the inspired. Recently a new slang term has come out on the internet that utterly irritates anyone who has an IQ greater than that of a peanut called YOLO. It’s short for “you only live once” and, as you’d expect, it’s largely advocated by the same people who endorse going on weekend benders and performing stunts that you’d only see on America’s Funniest Home Videos and *******. It’d actually mean something significant if, say, these same people were using it to encourage people to do things like find ways to travel to other countries, reach out to people different than themselves, go after their goals, and help out in the community but, no, it’s for the people who are honestly debating whether they should have sex in dance club bathrooms with total strangers or if, instead of one Whopper, they should order two at the drive through at Burger King. A lot of college students don’t take risk assessment seriously until reality head butts them in the stomach through a brick wall. Most don’t learn about their alcohol tolerance until they stupidly down two pitchers of beer or several Solo cups of “jungle juice” in less than hour and find themselves spraying barf like a beef stew cannon or about their workload limits by draining the life out of themselves by taking 18 credit hours in one semester and sleeping an average of three hours a night. YOLO’s philosophy is to keep doing these things because, after all, you only have one life so why not spend it repeatedly doing the same moronic stuff over and over again? Life forces you to eat enough turd sandwiches as it is, especially in college, so there’s no reason to go back for seconds. This is why I much prefer the Latin phrase “carpe diem” which simply means “seize the day.” Each day bring new opportunities that are in sight like low hanging fruit on a tree so why not reach out and grab it? Want to join the rock climbing club but are scared you won’t fit in? Carpe Diem. Want to try to launch a community project but are worried that no one will support you? Carpe Diem. Want to ask someone out on a date but the idea of getting rejected is almost too much to bear? Carpe Diem. Make the most of your college career by taking risks but understand that running for student government has a much greater potential for opening new doors than seeing how many energy drinks you can chug without going to the hospital.

7. Professors can be friends too and they should be. This is one of those concepts that freshmen have a really hard time understanding and seniors wish they had learned as freshman. Coming out of high school, you probably mostly view teachers as mini-dictators of their own classrooms and you probably spent more time in high school dedicated to simply avoiding extended interaction with them. The less you talk to them, the least likely you’ll land yourself in detention, right? Compared to high school teachers, most are pretty intimidating. It’s not every day that you run into teachers that have beards that strongly resemble tumbleweeds, dress in tie dye shirts, tell dirty jokes and swear unapologetically, or keep pet boa constrictors in their office. Some are gruff and some are outright eccentric. Some are as straight edged as the Pope while others are so scatterbrained that it’s a wonder that they remember to put on pants in the morning and it’s debatable if they do shrooms or not. A funny thing happens between high school and college though. Detention disappears, there’s no bell to announce the beginning or end of classes, class attendance becomes voluntary for lectures for most classes, and if you decide to a skip a class to sleep in or study for a test in another class that day, most professors won’t bat an eye. College students are given a new sense of liberty that most don’t start to grasp until their sophomore years. The rigid authoritarian position that teachers typically have in high school is now flexible, making professors much more approachable and personable. You might get to know your professors on a first name basis or be asked to share a lunch with them in their office but you actually have to make an effort towards it. Some can become mentors, some can become friends, and some can even become like parents or grandparents. Not only can you learn a lot from them but if you’re looking for a job once you graduate or a foot in the door for graduate school, they’re important allies to have so don’t wait until your final semester of your senior year to actually start talking to them outside of class.

8. All who wander are not always lost but, even if you are, don’t fret over it too much. I can almost guarantee that at least once in your college career you’ll find yourself stopped dead in your tracks while walking back to your dorm or car and ask yourself “what the Hell have I gotten myself into” or “what on Earth am I doing here?” There will be times where you’ll openly admit that you have no idea what you’re doing and are simply ad libbing through life. This happened to me exactly four times over the five years I was trying decide what to study and earn my bachelor’s degree and a minimum of several thousand times in the past year while trying to earn my master’s . In late 2008, I was in such despair over it that I strongly considered suicide because I thought I had messed up too much to ever redeem myself. It was particularly rough because I didn’t realize how commonplace these feelings were and how I was surrounded by classmates who secretly wanted to change their majors or hated the job prospects of their major. My personal timeline is probably just as muddled as most college students. I started off as an art major in 2006 before becoming a biology major just a semester later when I came to the startling conclusion that I absolutely sucked at art. I then decided to become an evolutionary zoology major in the fall of 2008 before coming to the conclusion in early 2010 that I had more of an interest in working with people than animals but I didn’t know what to do with that. Just a few days before New Years’ 2011 I decided to go to grad school for mental health counseling. After trying to pound a square peg in a round hole in the counseling program for two semesters, I talked to a career counselor who recommended that I look into public administration which is what I’ll be starting this semester. There were many incidents where I was confused, lethargic, and outwardly hating life but I still managed to pull through. I’ve come to be thankful for all this because of all the things I was able to experience and all the people I was able to meet thanks to my indecisiveness. The bottom line is that you should feel free to explore and not get bent out of shape if things don’t go exactly according to plan. Remember, only about a quarter of people who get bachelor’s degrees end up in a job in their field and it takes the average college student six years to get a bachelor’s degree.

9. When it rains, it pours and there will be a lot of times when you won’t be holding an umbrella. I’d be lying if I said that college was idealistic and that it won’t bring times where you question life itself. I speak from experience and have experienced a number of days where I didn’t want to get out of bed because my life seemed to be oversaturated with equal parts of suck and fail. You might watch with a sense of helplessness as you fail an important class and come to the realization that you’ll only be able to pass the class if you get close to a perfect score on the final. You might get stood up on dates and watch as good friends unexpectedly drop out or transfer to other schools. You might get into car accidents and heated screaming matches with your parents and/or friends. You might spend summers unemployed and Saturday nights dateless. You might do something careless that lands you in the hospital or causes you to lose a friend. You might wake up one morning and find yourself strongly questioning your choice in major, your religious beliefs, or even your identity. You might find yourself having to stay in school an extra year or having to temporarily drop out because someone in one of the offices overlooked something or gave you bad advice. You might have to unexpectedly attend the funeral of a pet, grandparent, or even a close friend. Life can be completely unfair and sometimes it even has a nasty way of rubbing salt in the wound. The Buddha once said “Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes” and he was absolutely right. There will be times when life doesn’t seem worth living at all but you simply have to press on and stay strong. Like paper, you might want to crumple under all the stress and pressure but, also like paper, being crumpled up doesn’t destroy us.

10. Diversity truly is the spice of life. For me, this is the most important lesson that I’ve learned in my college career. Six years ago I never thought I’d be interacting with as many different kinds of people like I am today. Getting to where I am today did require getting out of my comfort zone a large number of times. There are times where I’m the only white guy in the group or the only person with my particular set of political and religious beliefs but I feel that I’ve been richly rewarded for choosing to wade waist deep in uncomfortable situations time and time again. One of the quotes that I live my life by is one by the novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne. He once said “It contributes greatly towards a man’s moral and intellectual health, to be brought into habits of companionship with individuals unlike himself, who care little for his pursuits, and whose sphere and abilities he must go out of himself to appreciate.” Never underestimate what you can learn from other people, especially those who are completely different from you. The world ends with you. Your world is a small place is you keep to yourself but if you put yourself out there and interact with other people, it steadily expands. The more people you let into your life, the bigger the world becomes, the more you learn, and the more opportunities appear before you. College life often takes a level of boldness that most are not accustomed to. In high school you’re in an environment where things are rarely unfamiliar but college is much different. Suddenly you’re around people from different states and even different countries who have belief systems, interests, and mannerisms that seem almost otherworldly to you and, for a lot of freshman, this is extremely intimidating. It’s a brave new world but it’s one worth exploring. Many are afraid of losing themselves in this jungle of cultures but, based on my own experience, I would argue that this is the best way to discover yourself and what you’re capable of.

College is a stretch of life that can last up to a decade and each year will bring its own set of opportunities to take advantage of and obstacles to overcome. There will be awards to win, friends to make, and goals to meet but there will also be heartbreaks, hangovers, and horrible test grades to recover from. There will be times where you’ll feel like you’re on cloud nine and other times you’ll feel like you’re in the middle of a **** storm (just remember to carry an umbrella and keep your mouth closed). People will come and go but they’ll all have some sort of impact on you. You’ll learn from your triumphs but also from your defeats. There will be classes that you’ll breeze through without effort and those that you’ll have to dedicate late nights to studying for to pass. You’ll see the best and worst in not only the people around but yourself too. You’ll stumble and fall more times than you’ll care to but you will also find ways to adapt and pull through. You’ll experience new things but don’t forget the experiences that have gotten you here and helped shape who you are today. College involves a lot of learning not only through books and classes but from living life and meeting new people. To some, college may seem like a rude awakening to the onset of adulthood but the awkwardness and mystery of it can be readily cleared up with enough effort and determination. As my dad told me all those years ago when I started my own journey “welcome to some of the best years of your life” and I hope you all enjoy your college experience for all it’s worth.

Fatmanonice, August 9th, 2012

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.”-Albert Einstein

“Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him.” –John Locke

“One of the greatest and simplest tools for learning more and growing is doing more.”- Washington Irving

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
This was a good read, and I feel like it was all very true (in my experience, at least).

Man, I miss college. I graduated last year and I still miss it. Four years just flew by, and I wish I'd realized sooner what an opportunity it was and did more.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see Fatmanonice after all of these years. Missed you on the SSB Wii-U thread (which has since closed).

As someone that's going to be starting college this year, hopefully these advice will be helpful. I will need to read them over and over again. However, I feel as my circumstance is much different than probably most people here:

This year, I am attending college at a junior college, mainly to get my basics out, get settled into college life, and to save money so that I don't have to worry about a $50,000+ student loan debt when I go into a university two years from now. However, given that I am trying to save as much money as I can and that I'm fortunate to attend a junior college that is near by where I am (literally), along with me not even having a car (due to me having a hard time multi-tasking, I need to learn how to drive before I go into a university), I have no choice but to stay with my grandparents.

The thing that really bothers me is, how am I going to be able to freely expressed my own lifestyle like I never had an opportunity to do so in my high school? There, I just tried to well, fit in with the "smart" people (which were really nice) and make friends around them so that I looked good (I was very popular in school, especially during my high school days), such as hiding my non-Christian belief and my homosexuality.

Those two in particular I am very concern about. My grandparents are very religious and are totally against homosexuality and I worry about the unwarranted consequences if I were to have them find out about my non-Christian belief and being homosexual. I also want to show that I'm not the person they think I am. No I will never believe in drinking all night or slacking off for tests, but it's more of my beliefs in politics, religion, science, etc. It'd be nice to finally meet the day when I don't have to worry about bubbling in my real thoughts about life once and for all and I want to find a way to reveal it all out before I go into a university (by then, it would be too late).

Perhaps a gradual process or something? Starting with smaller stuff and working into larger things?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Thanks for this man, really.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The thing that really bothers me is, how am I going to be able to freely expressed my own lifestyle like I never had an opportunity to do so in my high school?
Like Fatman said, college is usually a blank slate and fresh start. Just act like yourself and see what kinds of people gravitate towards you, or that you gravitate to. With all the new people around, there are bound to be ones that share your point of view or perspective.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Really great blog, Fatmonice.

I would just add that doing well in college, and school in general, is a skill. It doesn't have anything to do with how smart you may or may not be. Doing research is like changing a tire, and if you don't know how to do one or the other, it's not a statement about your intelligence. Fortunately, like any other skill, you can learn how to do well in college.

If you were someone who aced tests without studying and wrote A+ papers the night before in high school, then college will be a breeze for you as well. If you struggled to understand your assignments and complete the reading in high school, then college will be tougher for you. No matter what your academic aptitude is, just make sure to allocate the time you need to get your work done. That's really the area where many students fail: time management is probably the most critical skill you can learn in college, and will help you whether you're dealing with work, class, friends or relationships, and it will serve you far beyond receiving your degree.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Glad to see Fatmanonice after all of these years. Missed you on the SSB Wii-U thread (which has since closed).

As someone that's going to be starting college this year, hopefully these advice will be helpful. I will need to read them over and over again. However, I feel as my circumstance is much different than probably most people here:

This year, I am attending college at a junior college, mainly to get my basics out, get settled into college life, and to save money so that I don't have to worry about a $50,000+ student loan debt when I go into a university two years from now. However, given that I am trying to save as much money as I can and that I'm fortunate to attend a junior college that is near by where I am (literally), along with me not even having a car (due to me having a hard time multi-tasking, I need to learn how to drive before I go into a university), I have no choice but to stay with my grandparents.

The thing that really bothers me is, how am I going to be able to freely expressed my own lifestyle like I never had an opportunity to do so in my high school? There, I just tried to well, fit in with the "smart" people (which were really nice) and make friends around them so that I looked good (I was very popular in school, especially during my high school days), such as hiding my non-Christian belief and my homosexuality.

Those two in particular I am very concern about. My grandparents are very religious and are totally against homosexuality and I worry about the unwarranted consequences if I were to have them find out about my non-Christian belief and being homosexual. I also want to show that I'm not the person they think I am. No I will never believe in drinking all night or slacking off for tests, but it's more of my beliefs in politics, religion, science, etc. It'd be nice to finally meet the day when I don't have to worry about bubbling in my real thoughts about life once and for all and I want to find a way to reveal it all out before I go into a university (by then, it would be too late).

Perhaps a gradual process or something? Starting with smaller stuff and working into larger things?
My friend, I can relate to you in a lot of ways. First off, the community/junior college that I went to was literally 5 minutes away from the house that I grew up in and some of the big reasons I didn't just go straight off to a university were to not only save money but to buy me more time to help me decide on a major. I also know what it's like to hide who you are. I left Christianity in 2004 and I kept it a secret from everyone but three of my closest friends until late 2009 when I finally got the courage to tell my parents. My parents were angry about it at first but as they saw that I was still a good person, good student, and a good son despite my theological differences, they became a lot more accepting of it. I'm not going to lie to you, it will probably be a hard battle to win especially if they're fundamentalists but don't entirely toss out the window the possibility that they will change.

College is a lot about evolving and I speak from experience. I mentioned on my Facebook page the other day that in the past 6 years alone I've gone from being a fundamentalist conservative to an anarchist to a libertarian to a progressive humanist. For about two and a half years of my college career, I was a practicing vampire. Did I feel isolated a lot? Yes and it was years before I was able to find people with similar religious and political beliefs but only because, until 2009, I was very antisocial. That being said, there's no right or wrong way to go about change. If you want it to be sudden, go right ahead, or if you want it to be slow, that's perfectly fine too. As I mentioned in this essay, learning how to define yourself, take chances, and ***** risk are all part of becoming an independent adult so go about these life lessons at your own pace.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good read, am going back for my Sophomore year and I have already experienced a lot of what you have listed, especially 9 as am currently stuck on what major I want to pursue, am jobless (despite a lot of effort at looking), as well as learning to get out and meet new people.

Wildest things that's happened to me so far:
  • Campus police came knocking on my door thinking I had something to do with Bottle Rockets that had been plaguing our building.
  • Almost missed class once due to my alarm being set to PM instead of AM (never ran so hard in my life).
  • Also drug busts on our dorm floor as well as dealing with drunk Suitemates.
  • Staying up still 3-5 every Friday and Saturday. lol

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Thank you so very much FMOI.

This is very helpful for me since I am going to be a college freshman this year and I've had some concerns about it and your blog has truly helped me gain some insight as to what to expect for college.

Now after reading your blog, I am much more excited and pumped to go into college and actually start getting involved into things and making the most out of what college is.

So thanks again, truly.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Great read as usual
And it's all so true

I don't know how many times I questioned my school and major and life. I'd call my parents crying or I'd cry myself to sleep just because I felt so lost
Took the summer off, and I've healed up nicely. Scarred, worn down, but alive and kicking : )

Freshmen, don't be afraid to change majors, take a break, or even transfer. It's your decision. You're an adult now....you get to decide things : )

And for sucky roommates
You don't have to deal with em
Ask for a room change or be sneaky jerks like my roommates and I and rat on your super *****y roommates who don't clean and do drugs in your room :3 dont take the fall for other peoples stupidity!

But yeah, this is advice that helps even upperclassmen. Thanks c:

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Just try it out, honestly. When I first started expressing myself in it's entirety (Non Christain beliefs, awful sense of humor, being gay ect) I went through a lot of phases until I settled down and really found myself more. Just expirament with expressing yourself, regardless of how femme, masc, stupid, silly, cool, or dumb you look. You will find yourself, it just takes some time. And just remember, outside of High School, being gay doesn't actually matter.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I actually went into my freshman year at my community college fairly level-headed. I think my more realistic expectations (of not expecting anything!) :laugh: but having to do hard work, earn my way, and work for everything I want to achieve helped me where my peers failed. That and my focus on getting my degrees rather than "the experience."

My community college is literally 3 blocks from my house (especially with that new road straight to it!), and although there are a lot of people from my high school, I felt like it was a fresh start from high school. In high school I was average (although I stuck out reasonably well), and people treated me as such. You guys know how it is in high school; even if the school has 3,000 students, once you have an image, even if you don't like it and want to change it, you can't feel like you can=??? Well I decided that instead of feeling like I am defined by this label, I decided to just be me, comfortable, cool crazy, and yet somehow calm. :psycho:[COLLAPSE="But yeah, my first semester of college was freaking crazy! Let me list the crazy stuff that happened... just in that semester alone!:"]-I started trying 100% at all of my classes, again, due to me not feeling "limited" by high school. In high school, I rarely tried my hardest, because I have the ability to get good grades on tests easily. But yeah, first thing I did when I got all my classes and books is I read all of my books and reading assignments. Cover to cover. I took dozens of pages of notes.
-As a result of this, and my want to meet people and do well, I was in a lot of study groups. Not just that, but I was pretty much the guy running half of them (in terms of doing the work). This is often where I got hit on, and often where I found myself learning the most about not just the class, but about college.
-I made several friends I still have from these. Perhaps I overwhelmed them, because all of them that didn't get a degree 2 years afterwards dropped out! :rotfl:
-I also met my best friend in the first of such meetings for study groups. I met her, and I was like "I need to do more study groups." After being her best friend for four months, I asked her out.
She said "no." I asked her out again. She said "no" again. I asked 100 more times. She said "no" again until she caved in to my awesomeness.
I've been dating her for 3 years. This comes after I never dated a girl in high school for more than a week (after I got tired of their messed of soap opera drama crap and decided I'd rather be castrated than go out with their stankie a** any longer).
-Also, you should talk to your teachers a lot, ask a lot of questions before, during, and after class, and go see your teachers at their scheduled time for students.
-I found out the hard (but not too hard) way that 16 units IS A LOT OF WORK! Of course, doing all the reading and studying beforehand to get prepared help. Although I got all A's (except a C in that class that was impossible)
-Speaking of that C, I found out that you should rely on the point of view of trusted classmates, friends, sources, and sites on what professor's classes you should take. The teacher I had apparently was a mental case, and was soon fired. I was not surprised.
-Also that semester, another teacher I had got fired for having "relations" with 5 students. As I found out, these students were of different races, ages, and even sexes! (My teacher was smart enough not to try that on me!)
-In that class (which had nearly 200 students; I haven't since been in a class with more than 100 students) I had "easily the highest grade in the class" as stated by the teacher. But for whatever reason, the grades got all... "weird" after she got fired and replaced. I still got an A though, although I don't understand how I got a 140%. The top grade in the class... INDEED! :awesome:
-By the way, for that class, there was a mandatory final essay due that was announced 24 hours before being due. It was going to be posted earlier, but the site it was on took forever to update. I had to scramble to do it. If I had know I had a 140% in the class, I would have been lazy! (but oh well!)
-To make that funnier, the class was "Multicultural Issues," and my heredity is like 98% Caucasian. :chuckle:
-Oh, and while I'm at it, taking 16 units is hard, as I previously mentioned. In order to study for those tests, I didn't sleep for two or three days. After that, I slept for 16 hours a day for 5 consecutive days. I think I earned the satisfaction of that sleep!
-Unrelated to school, but Triple Dash's drug bust story above reminded me of this. Apparently, my (now former) next door neighbors were drug dealers. My dad, brother, and I had only been living where we live for a few months at the time. Apparently, they got the wrong address a few times on who claimed to have seen them carrying what was described by police as "hardcore drugs." This explains why we never saw them. But yeah, that was scary.
-I got pulled over while driving with my friend (I was driving, not him) for being in the car pool lane. Apparently, the cop couldn't see my friend in the car. I am about 6'1, my friend is about 5'4. Needless to say, I made fun of him for that... forever. And ever. AND EVER!!! :awesome: (like a true ****!) :bee:[/COLLAPSE]Yeah, college is a crazy place/thing/time where the unexpected is to be expected, and the expected is unexpected!!! STUFF. GETS. CRAZY! (especially the crazy stuff!) :psycho:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I see some of you can't decide upon a major. Just wait until the last minute. That's what everyone does. I changed my major like 3 times (well, actually totally once; the other 2 times I changed the specific degree [like from Business Management to Business Administration]). Don't get too caught up in it. Just take the general ed classes first.

I actually originally intended to get degrees to go into the film industry, considered psychology (since I have a very natural grasp onto it; I decided against it, since I can't handle other people's problems, and I hate drama), changed my mind that I wanted to go into writing, decided I'd probably be better at that when I'm older (I'm a inadequate writer, and I can't write "complete stories;" I can up with good plot points, though), and decided upon sticking with business (specifically aiming for various administrative jobs) for the next quarter/third of my life. (And trust me, people's plans I know get way more complex than this)

I would post what my grandfather went through in college (going from wanting to be a painter to being a freaking rocket scientist and a trillion other things along the way), but that would be a 100-page essay. But man, he was a hardcore science addict, and the thought of him trying to be painter is hilarious! :chuckle:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Also teacher thing is so true

My perspective drawing teacher doesn't remember students well since he teaches most students that go through AiP. Well, my friends and I were loud, asked questions, and had fun in his class (mr milligan; we called him Millie or millikins in obnoxious voices)
He will call us out of the hallway (usually by yelling 'HEY TROUBLE!') and we are welcome in his classroom during classes
We are also planning a sushi trip with him sometime
It also helps because he knew how hard I'd work on assignments, so my end of the quarter bonus points secured an A for the quarter c:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Freshmen, don't be afraid to change majors, take a break, or even transfer. It's your decision. You're an adult now....you get to decide things : )
Yeah great advice, except for the small fact, you know, it's not exactly FREE to just throw away time on a wasted major. I don't know how the USA does this, but if you take longer than a year than you're supposed to on your total time studying, you have to pay a huge fine. You can't just say "oh I'll do this nvm I'll do this meh this sucks how about this?" anymore. It's basically you pick and you can't change, or pay a huge fine.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yeah great advice, except for the small fact, you know, it's not exactly FREE to just throw away time on a wasted major. I don't know how the USA does this, but if you take longer than a year than you're supposed to on your total time studying, you have to pay a huge fine. You can't just say "oh I'll do this nvm I'll do this meh this sucks how about this?" anymore. It's basically you pick and you can't change, or pay a huge fine.
We don't have the fines, because we have a lot of people who switch majors until they find their fit

And boy do I know that
One of the main reasons I'm sticking with my major is because my scholarships are only valid if I complete my program (my portfolio for my major was the reason I got monies, and every major has different requirements)
Money sucks, but if it's worth it to switch, then go for it. If not, stick with it and be successful either way

That's probably a better way of putting it

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To all of you incoming freshmen who want to get in and get out fairly quickly with one major (and who can't decided on a major), just take general ed classes first. And if you can't pick a particular degree/major, find one that covers a lot of bases (in something that interests you) so you have lots of flexibility. After all, the average 1st world citizen will have several careers and/or work at several different companies.

@ Jim Morrison
About half of Americans college students change their majors at least once. The American college system is bent towards helping those students, and also to aim at just allowing them to learn and experiment with all kinds of different classes. Plus I'm pretty sure compared to the Netherlands, (based on European college tuition prices) that public university and state college tuition is higher. That's a big factor for this. The people in charge don't care how long you take, as long as you're learning and they're getting paid! :laugh:

Fortunately, the high prices aren't always a big issue (although it varies from state to state) due to the ease of getting scholarships and the community college system (and how seamlessly you can go from community/junior colleges to state colleges to universities). I'm not entirely sure how the college system differs in the Netherlands, but I doubt it's much different.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have had a number of friends who have done this which is why I believe it's just better to get a degree then keep changing your mind especially after your junior year. If you don't know what to do during your freshman and sophmore years, it's really no big deal but if you're still confused by the time your senior year rolls around, then you might as well swallow your pride and just finish your current degree like I did. One of my friends, for example, had a full ride to college but it recently expired because he spent 8 years switching between half a dozen different majors. The reality of things is that a degree is more proof that you can put up with a lot of bull crap than if you're smart or good with people. Job skills will come about if you work a job and people skills will come about if you work with people so it's important not to tie too much significance to the degree itself.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Good read. I wish I wasn't poor and could go to college.
I think one of the biggest lies that's force fed to us, especially in high school, is that everyone has to go to college. College isn't for everyone and there are plenty of job opportunities without a degree. I see a lot of people who are miserable in college because they don't want to be there because their parents forced them to or they have a different learning style that's the opposite of most colleges' teaching styles. If you want to start your own store or restaurant, not having a college degree shouldn't stop you. As I mentioned earlier, a college degree is more of a measure of your endurance and tolerance for bullcrap rather than your knowledge and people skills.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
As someone who recently finished college, I agree with those 10, 100%. Great read!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like this blog except the weird tangent about YOLO and Carpe Diem.
I added it because every year I usually go to a minimum of two parties where a freshman starts a fight, breaks something expensive while trying to show off, flirts with someone who's obviously dating someone else, drinks too much, or does something so dumb that people ream them for the rest of their college career for it. From what I've witnessed, freshmen are typically terrible at risk assessment and usually revert to doing really stupid things all the time or revert to being antisocial to avoid any risky situations.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Another excellent post.
2. Don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself and take risks while doing it.

8. All who wander are not always lost but, even if you are, don’t fret over it too much.
I wanted to focus on these two. As I'm entering my senior year of college, I've been looking back in how much I've changed physically and mentally since my freshman year as well as my outlook on life and what I want to do.

I had some seeds for change planted in my sophomore year after starting to dislike my computer science class courses and starting to look into more spiritual things in my spare time. When my junior year started, it was a total mess for me with only a few pieces of relief in life. I was absolutely scared to be in a major that I realized is not for me - despite being decent at it- but I didn't know what major to switch to in order to make me happy. I was calling home every day and constantly caught in arguments with my parents who can't seem to understand me very well. My state of being was very unstable during this time. I couldn't stand to look at assignments before being able to concentrate in class or in assignments and had to take naps to calm down. My parents were of help here by putting things into perspective and me seeing that I'm more of a holistic thinker, but I was still having the problem of what to do with my life thanks to constantly being pressured by my dad who can't seem to understand me past academia and can't process that you can like something and not be good at it.

Thanks, in part, to me watching The Lion King again, I started to become more spiritual and was able to start calming myself from the inside. It also got me back into being interested in animals and the environment - another thing I felt pressured to keep secret as my dad's one of those super conservatives. Over time, and from weekly visits to a psychiatrist to help decide my career, I was able to see who I wanted to be in less vague ways and I had cast aside old norms and molds to follow the beat of my own drum without being so self conscious about it. In short, I feel like I was starting to become the me I was meant to be, the me that had been suppressed for so long due to my fears and pressures. I'm still uncertain what I want for career, but I want to put my wells of energy to good use in a way that makes me happy and makes others smile.

I guess the reason I decided to say all this rambling, other than to be reflective, was to show that reinventing isn't as simple as changing your wardrobe or expressing your interests. It can be a very painful change, but everything happens for a reason. As long as you keep on going, you'll reinvent yourself into the you who you want to be.

One thing that I've come to learn in college is that you just got to go with the flow. When the time comes, you'll be able to reveal things. I'm still not able to reveal a lot of things to my parents whereas I can reveal to my friends easily.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Reading this blog brought nostalgic memories of my long college career. I, too, went to a community college where I studied Graphic Design. They had a very good Graphic Design program that would later feed into other universities. My first college semester was one of those where I just took too many credit hours. I was inexperienced and, since I didn't have a job, felt I could take it. I also scheduled my classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays so I would have a day off on Tuesdays and Fridays. However, my first class was at 7:15 and my last class was at 8 pm. Therefore, I had to stay at the school for 13 hours straight since it was a hour away. After that semester, I told myself never to take some many credit hours.

I lived with my parents who are fairly strict Christians. They are more lax than most but strict compared to non-Christian standards. As well, most of my friends were part of the church so I had most of my interactions with them. Therefore. I didn't really experience the "crazy college life" until I transferred.

After two years of community college, I was ready for the university. I ended up getting out of the Graphic Design program and enrolled into the Asian Studies major. I vaguely remember my Transfer Orientation but I remember my first day of classes. I was used to community college and the flow of classes but...I wasn't prepared for some of the advanced classes I started taking. I walked into Advanced Japanese 2 and literally felt outclassed; even after taking two years of Japanese. It was horrible.

But I soon adjusted to the university and by November, I felt like I had a good handle on everything. I was still commuting and, while I was making new friends, I still had the same ol' church friends. It wasn't until I moved out of my parents house, away from my old friends, and made new friends. Most of the friends I made were apart of the Asian Studies program and the Art History program I minored in. It truly opened my perspective concerning college life. I became extremely involved in the international student programs and worked in the International Department for some time. I helped schedule group activities, help international students schedule classes, tutored students in English, and helped professors teach ESL. In addition to my Japanese language studies, I also became involved with the Japanese exchange students which influenced my immensely.

Moving into an apartment really changed my life around since I was held responsible for my life and my livelihood. I remember cutting my thumb deeply on a soup can, blood gushing forth, and finding out I have used all of my bandaids. Situations like that helped me realize what living on your own meant. Living on my own also opened me to the college life and, while I always made sure I did homework and studied, I made time to hang out with newly made friends, go out drinking, and other crazy shenanigans. It actually wasn't until my 3rd year that I started going crazy and drinking/partying/clubbing a lot.

College not only gave me a degree so I can get a job but gave me the necessary life skills to live on my own and taught me how to make important decisions. I would love to go back to college and most people I talk to feel the same way.

D

Deleted member

Just want to talk about dual majors.

Would it be by any means beneficial for a person to do dual majors? If anything, it should help increase your job opportunities and makes your choices that much more flexible. While I was considering being a politician, I was thinking about getting a degree on government and economic and I may compliment my science major with another related one (math?).

@Fatmanonice: Very much appreciate the advice. I will need to keep those in mind for the future. Kuma and Shortie as well.

I've noticed that I've changed a lot in what I wanted to be. Over the past six years or so, I wanted to be a president, an astronaut, a video game designer, a politician, and now trying to figure out a good job for my science major (which I'm sticking to because there's a lot of things you can do with a bachelor science degree and even more if you get your master/PHD). Drug and abuse counselor and doctor are two things I've been considering, but I need to research other possibilities as well.

I'm also... not that social. Unlike my brothers, I don't really tend to talk to many people in real life because the activities I do doesn't really require me to get out of my comfort zone, though hopefully college will change that since college is all about taking risk, as you and others have said.

@Johnknight1: Honestly, waiting until the last minute sounds like an awful idea. I remember the stress I have of being late with assignments or getting them done at the last minute, staying up all night just to complete them (and avoiding getting my grandparents on my case). That's something that I need to remedy for college.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just want to talk about dual majors.

Would it be by any means beneficial for a person to do dual majors? If anything, it should help increase your job opportunities and makes your choices that much more flexible. While I was considering being a politician, I was thinking about getting a degree on government and economic and I may compliment my science major with another related one (math?).
I honestly don't know about the pros and cons of double majoring, but you'll probably graduate later. If it's government you've thought about, have you thought about where exactly? But, I've heard that if you're going into politics, business is a really good major for that sort of thing.

I'm also... not that social. Unlike my brothers, I don't really tend to talk to many people in real life because the activities I do doesn't really require me to get out of my comfort zone, though hopefully college will change that since college is all about taking risk, as you and others have said.
Check out some of the clubs. You'll be very surprised. Not only that, but as with the types of people you meet, both in demographics and personality, making new friends shouldn't be very difficult. Who knows, maybe you'll be like me and the first friend you make in college is someone who comes up to you because of what you're doing. My friend saw me reading a Fullmetal Alchemist manga and she had a Street Fighter shirt on. The rest was history.

And, I admit, I'm jealous of you. I've only had faint ideas of what I want to do. I'm still not sure which frustrates my parents and I to no end. Then there's the fact that I view what parents do as something that would cause me to level a building at the climax of stress and restlessness.

Top Bottom