• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech_Chase wants YOU to assist in the BBR MU Chart project!

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
nonono

think of slide DI as having the control stick to the left of your octagon, and sliding up and down above and below the initial point.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
1. Do people really think Fair/Bair are kill options ofr Zelda? lol, it's not 2009.
2. Monst of the time she wants to be grounded. her ground game is bad, but it's better than her air game except Nair or AD gimmicks.
3. If she reads anything from mid-close range, or a misspaced Ftilt, she can Nayru, it's invincible and puts DDD in the same bad spot Dmash does (except is less powerful).
4. Usmash doesn't work well on DDD? Maybe the last DDD I played didn't know it, but if that's true, I have just lost faith for the MU. ):
5. I don't even know what the argument is anymore....
5.1. bubba, you can't assume your stance is right just because we can't prove it wrong. You can't prove others' stance to be wrong either, so nobody is neither right or wrong until a couple players actually play the MU at high-level.
5.1.1. If anything, I could make an argument for +1, not because I think they beat DDD, but to make a distinction between Sheilda being actually harder than solo Sheik and solo Zelda, and help other people understand that Sheilda =/= Sheik or Zelda, depending on who goes better (even though it is like that for many MUs).

@Atothez: you mean, Quarter Circle SDI?
That is not better for scaping multihit moves than Double-Stick SDI

C.J.

Smash Master
nonono

think of slide DI as having the control stick to the left of your octagon, and sliding up and down above and below the initial point.
Which accomplishes what, when?

It displaces the character's body during hitlag.

It's SDI

A different "method" of doing it doesn't change what it is.

There's DI, which is controlling how your character drifts and there's SDI which displaces a character's hitbubbles during hitlag. You can do it with "tap DI" or "dual stick DI" or whatever else you want to call it; it's all SDI.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
"The MU, in theory, may be played differently from DDD:Sheik, but it does not give Sheilda an advantage"
I gather you meant numeric advantage in terms of the MU chart then? I took it as "Shielda doesn't have an advantage in the MU in comparison to Shiek" (which she does- the extent of which is just arguable).
Yes, that's what I meant, the numeric advantage in terms of the MU chart. I'd rather talk in terms of ratios, myself. I take a 45:55 to still equate to a 0 and I could see that ratio being given to DDD:Sheilda.

Also, I'm aware I'm fairly blunt so I hope you took nothing I said to be insulting or w/e.
No problem. I'm aware that I'm fairly argumentative so I hope the same. :p

5. I don't even know what the argument is anymore....
5.1. bubba, you can't assume your stance is right just because we can't prove it wrong. You can't prove others' stance to be wrong either, so nobody is neither right or wrong until a couple players actually play the MU at high-level.
I never assumed my stance was right. As I pointed out in the quoted discussions, I simply said that there is no documented evidence that Sheilda:DDD is a +1 and the theorycraft I'd seen doesn't give her enough of an advantage to push her from a 0 into a +1. I never even gave you a stance to prove wrong. I'm simply asking someone, anyone really, to prove that Sheilda:DDD is actually notably in Sheilda's advantage. In fact, you're saying the same exact things that I've been saying repeatedly now. "Nobody is neither right or wrong until a couple players actually play the MU at high-level." That's exactly what I've been saying. Here's an instance of that:
There is no high level evidence (that I'm aware of) and theorycrafting shouldn't have landed at a -1 instead of a 0. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I'm saying that certain conclusions shouldn't be 'arrivable at,' so to speak.
I've said that multiple other times, too. The discussion (on the Tier List thread) started in the first place with me asking exactly why Sheilda is a -1 and Sheik is a 0. The reasons that were given weren't very conclusive, so my point is that a -1 is a bit 'decisive' of a conclusion for a MU that we can't claim to be concluding much about.

5.1.1. If anything, I could make an argument for +1, not because I think they beat DDD, but to make a distinction between Sheilda being actually harder than solo Sheik and solo Zelda, and help other people understand that Sheilda =/= Sheik or Zelda, depending on who goes better (even though it is like that for many MUs).
This is exactly the kind of concept that I was originally disagreeing with. You can't just say '+1 because it's harder than this certain 0'. This was why I actually favored ratios. There are such things as 'harder 0's' and I acknowledged this in the quoted posts. One shouldn't say '+1' just to "help other people understand that Sheilda =/= Sheik or Zelda" because it is misleading.

I'd like to note that I never made a stance and said that Sheilda is the same as Sheik. I said that Sheilda:DDD is probably played differently from Sheik:DDD, and it might even have its own benefits in the long run, but those benefits don't seem to be enough to make the MU jump from 0 to +1. That was the crux of my argument all along.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
>Implying I don't know other characters CJ.

I've been around for a long time and played with Coney for years. I know most character's matchups, but people are too stupid to accept facts when presented so they theorycraft. :sheilda: does NOT beat :dedede: and I can't think of any occasion where a :sheilda: has ever beaten a good :dedede: in either MM or tourney.

:018:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I played Fujin this weekend in Loser's Bracket. What a silly MU. I don't see how Zelda doesn't get bodied when Dedede plays more aggressively and keeps the pressure up. I got ***** Game 1 when played super passive. Then proceeded to double 2 stock him after I realized that I was playing the matchup totally wrong.

Pick your moments and stay in mid range. Get her in the air and go ham.

Sheik is considerably harder than Zelda as she does a much better job exploiting Dedede's weaknesses. I think using both optimally is the hardest for D3 to deal with however. I have a lot of experience in this MU.

Also Seagull is pretty knowledgeable about several characters.

Never getting on my livestream again though. You giant troll.

:denzel:

C.J.

Smash Master
There's no doubt Zelda/DDD is bad.... really bad.

My statement about Seagull was slightly unfair- I should have been more specific and said "non-wolf things vs obscure characters." I trust his opinion of DDD vs Snake, or DDD vs MK, MK vs most of the cast, Falco vs spacies and a few others.

But his opinion on not-Wolf vs obscure characters I don't inherently believe/trust/agree to on merit of him knowing the character w/o a detailed explanation or personal results validating his experience in the MU.

Then again, I'm cynical so whatever. Either way, my initial comment was slightly rude and unnecessary and I apologize for that.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This is exactly the kind of concept that I was originally disagreeing with. You can't just say '+1 because it's harder than this certain 0'. This was why I actually favored ratios. There are such things as 'harder 0's' and I acknowledged this in the quoted posts. One shouldn't say '+1' just to "help other people understand that Sheilda =/= Sheik or Zelda" because it is misleading.

I'd like to note that I never made a stance and said that Sheilda is the same as Sheik. I said that Sheilda:DDD is probably played differently from Sheik:DDD, and it might even have its own benefits in the long run, but those benefits don't seem to be enough to make the MU jump from 0 to +1. That was the crux of my argument all along.
And having them saying the same as Sheik is misleading, too.
I guess nobody can learn anything from just reading a certain number on a chart for a Matchup (almost) nobody plays.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Does Zelda have an easier time killing Dedede, and if so by how much? Can Zelda kill without taking a lot of damage or being put in a bad spot herself.

That's how I feel anyways.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Finding chances, approaching, camping, nothing is neither easier or harder for Zelda. DDD still has many spacing/pressure tools, but now that she has fresh moves, chances are that any well-connected one will be much more effective than going solo.
In supertheory (the same one where MK can not be beaten or even lose the lead whatsoever, ICs lose to Peach, Marth beats Falco soundly and Pikachu goes even with Marth), Sheik will have percentage lead when transforming, and now DDD is the one who has to approach Zelda.
DDD has poor non-Bair killing options, and if Zelda predicts anything, she can punish him decently enough.

Also, in supertheory, even if she can't change back to Sheik again without being killed, she only needs to remove all 3 stocks from DDD first.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Um, I would think that Sheik can both approach and camp better than Zelda can, unless you're comparing Zelda to DDD. That's a different story.

Also, in supertheory, even if she can't change back to Sheik again without being killed, she only needs to remove all 3 stocks from DDD first.
This makes Zelda:DDD sound like it's not a -2...

In supertheory, Sheik will have percentage lead when transforming, and now DDD is the one who has to approach Zelda.
Gonna say a bunch of random things here, 'cause they all just popped into my head..

I mentioned this before, and I'm not sure how relevant this is, but we all know that DDD can kill nearly any character upwards of 30% with an fsmash. What I'm getting at with this is that Sheik is gonna be hard-pressed to knock DDD far enough away to get a clean transform off. Since we can assume that Sheik:DDD is 0, we can also assume that the chance of DDD having a stock lead is just as great as the chance of Sheik having a stock lead.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The difference between how Sheik stacks up to Dedede and how Zelda does is how they punish him.

Sheik is MUCH better at forcing Dedede into bad situations with frame traps for moderate but reliable punishes.

Zelda punishes Dedede (or anyone really..) really hard for dumb mistakes. But has to rely on the opponent doing something stupid/approaching to do so. To attempt to force Dedede (particularly at mid range) , into a bad situation as Zelda means putting herself in a really high risk situation. Couple her terrible recovery with her limited air game, it stacks the odds in Dedede's favor.

Sheik has a better chance in a neutral position and suffers less from being put in a bad situation. But cant kill Dedede reasonably until relatively high percents.

Zelda has a worse chance in a neutral position and getting put in a bad position is potentially much worse for her. But she can kill him a LOT sooner than Sheik can. She's better off being used for the kill.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Tech_Chase wants ME to assist in the BBR MU Chart project?

Well, I'm honoured, but frankly this character sucks and doesn't deserve a spot on the MU chart :yeahboi:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This makes Zelda:DDD sound like it's not a -2...
wtf? how?

Okay, let's step back a little.
Sheik goes even with Dedede, not because DeDeDe has great tools against her and vice-versa. Sheik is vastly superior to DeDeDe and causes him trouble at pretty much every moment in the game. It is even because DeDeDe is just too heavy, and Sheik can not safely score a kill on him until retardedly high percentages (over 200% (she maybe can Fair or Usmash, but neither are reliable)) while dying relatively early herself.

Zelda struggles a lot against DeDeDe, I mean, A LOT. But if Sheik did her job correctly and dealt DeDeDe tons of damage, then Zelda gets to see the MU less and only worry to land a couple hits.

It can be argued if Zelda as a whole is either more or less reliable as a kill option than Sheik's Usmash (specially if DeDeDe actually pops out of Zelda's Usmash), but technically, we're removing Sheik's main issue (unable to kill), Zelda's most annoying part of the match (opponent at low damage), and making the MU harder (even if just a bit) for DeDeDe.
Put one and one together... and the matchup, as far as mere theorycraft, should not be still 0.

Now, some panelists want Falco and Diddy to be called -1 (I personally could believe the former, but not the latter), if we look it that way, Sheilda is not even close to them in terms of difficulty. lol

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I was only talking in response to that one statement:
I interpreted this as "If you switch to Zelda to land the first KO but find yourself unable to switch back to Sheik, that's OK because you can just fight the remainder of the match as Zelda," hence my reply. If DDD:Zelda is a +2, then why would it be beneficial for Zelda to attempt to remove three stocks by herself, or rather, why would it be beneficial for Sheilda to attempt to remove three stocks as Zelda without switching back?

It can be argued if Zelda as a whole is either more or less reliable as a kill option than Sheik's Usmash (specially if DeDeDe actually pops out of Zelda's Usmash), but technically, we're removing Sheik's main issue (unable to kill), Zelda's most annoying part of the match (opponent at low damage), and making the MU harder (even if just a bit) for DeDeDe.
Put one and one together... and the matchup, as far as mere theorycraft, should not be still 0.
You're assuming there there isn't such a thing as a harder 0. 45:55 is harder than 50:50. It's still a 0 in my eyes. If you're gonna use a 5-tiered MU system (which you probably already know I don't like), then you need to use it right. CJ actually worded the issue perfectly in a couple statements:
Meh, even if it doesn't give her enough of an advantage to warrant a +/- 1, it still makes it a more difficult even which still makes it "better."

Note that I haven't said anything about what I believe any ratio to be. Just that even if it stays even, it's a "harder even" for DDD.
Secondly, just because two things are listed as even, doesn't mean they're the same difficulty. Sheik is an easier MU than Shielda. The only possible argument is whether or not it's by enough of margin to warrant a different number.
Now, some panelists want Falco and Diddy to be called -1 (I personally could believe the former, but not the latter)
From personal experience, I can actually believe the latter more than the former. I don't know how well-known Nuke's Diddy is, but I've played him several times and I can say that Waddles just transform that MU. That and active gimping make the MU not that bad.

Also, during our MU discussions on the DDD boards, 4GOD came in and told us why he thinks it's possibly -1:
If MK is -3, and ICs/Olimar are -2, then I feel like diddy is -1. Then again, I haven't played against gnes, felix, or adhd. But Player-1 and BigLou are really good. Walking towards diddy while being in front of a banana in your control and behind a waddle dee limits diddy's options. Without playing that land setup though, it probably is a -2.
That post was several months ago. More recently, he came into the Official MU Chart thread and agreed that Diddy is -1:
Wow! Great list!
Only thing I disagree with is diddy at -2. I think he is -1.
I believe Coney thinks it's a -2, though. Btw, both players think Falco is still a -2, so as I said, I think it's more believable that DDD:Diddy is -1 than DDD:Falco.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
There's no doubt Zelda/DDD is bad.... really bad.

My statement about Seagull was slightly unfair- I should have been more specific and said "non-wolf things vs obscure characters." I trust his opinion of DDD vs Snake, or DDD vs MK, MK vs most of the cast, Falco vs spacies and a few others.

But his opinion on not-Wolf vs obscure characters I don't inherently believe/trust/agree to on merit of him knowing the character w/o a detailed explanation or personal results validating his experience in the MU.

Then again, I'm cynical so whatever. Either way, my initial comment was slightly rude and unnecessary and I apologize for that.
So why then you wander in a DDD matchup thread and think that you can be trusted with any of his matchups while having marth as a main?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Sheik goes even with Dedede, not because DeDeDe has great tools against her and vice-versa. Sheik is vastly superior to DeDeDe and causes him trouble at pretty much every moment in the game. It is even because DeDeDe is just too heavy, and Sheik can not safely score a kill on him until retardedly high percentages (over 200% (she maybe can Fair or Usmash, but neither are reliable)) while dying relatively early herself.

Zelda struggles a lot against DeDeDe, I mean, A LOT. But if Sheik did her job correctly and dealt DeDeDe tons of damage, then Zelda gets to see the MU less and only worry to land a couple hits.
Okay, I have a couple of things to say here. First of all, because DDD is so hard to kill and Sheik dies relatively early, the chances are pretty even of either character getting the stock lead first. Something minor that I just wanted to put out there.

Secondly, your statement here...
It is even because DeDeDe is just too heavy, and Sheik can not safely score a kill on him until retardedly high percentages (over 200% (she maybe can Fair or Usmash, but neither are reliable)) while dying relatively early herself.
plays perfectly into what I was saying during the earlier discussion on the topic. Sheik will be very hard-pressed to find an instance where she can actually knock DDD far enough away to actually pull off a safe, clean transformation, all without losing the stock tie/lead. DDD is heavy and Sheik is weak. Knocking him that far away will take a long time, and all the while Sheik is still risking losing a stock herself so that DDD has the lead. If DDD ever gets the lead, then the 'Sheilda strategy' should almost never come into effect until Sheik regains that lead because DDD will never be forced to approach, and a Zelda that HAS to approach is a Zelda in a lot of trouble.

Even if Sheik does get the lead, one cannot assume that she will automatically be able to acquire a safe transformation window.

Exdeath

Smash Master
On the topic of :diddy: vs. :dedede:, when I see comments talking about the :diddy: MU while having a banana in hand, I always wonder how they got that banana to begin with, seeing as :dedede: can't safely grab a banana and if :diddy: reads the banana grab, :dedede: loses a large chunk of damage or his stock.

More importantly, :diddy:'s keep away banana/flip mix-ups shut down :dedede: with a heavily skewed risk-reward ratio, until :dedede: can enter threat range. This has been the majority of :dedede:'s metagame advancement vs. :diddy: in the past year or so and mostly consists of :dedede: mains in general learning banana control and in particular the tactical advantage(s) afforded by a waddle to limit what Big D called burst options. The problem with this is that afterward, :diddy: is supposed to play still-quite-skewed footsies with :dedede: within three horizontal zones: Within :dedede: dash grab, within :dedede: Ftilt but beyond dash grab, and within :diddy: soft banana toss but beyond :dedede: Ftilt.

Also, the problem with walking up to :diddy: behind a waddle is that it's no longer useful if you use an attack (therefore no pokes) and the hit lag on waddles lowers his frame advantage and gives :diddy: an easy infinite.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I get that banana pretty consistently Exdeath. It's not as hard as you make it out to be, especially if they put it on a platform. Not only that, Brawlers need to buff their item game. When I watched the set of John12346 vs NinjaLink in LFs at Impact!, I realized this. People need to get better at catching stuff that's thrown at them and using it immediately. Even if it's something as simple as just catching the banana and throwing it right back at Diddy, it still messes up his momentum.

Edit: Watch this match of Vex vs Jtails. Vex really makes the MU look like a 0. Notice how dynamic Vex's item/banana play is. It's really not that hard to get the banana in hand and use it effectively. That match was even on BF, supposedly one of Diddy's strongest stages. Combine this play with Waddles and gimps (Vex was using those well too) and I really don't think this MU is any worse than -1.

Edit 2: And this 'infinite' is not as prominent as many people believe, I think.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I get that banana pretty consistently Exdeath. It's not as hard as you make it out to be, especially if they put it on a platform. Not only that, Brawlers need to buff their item game. When I watched the set of John12346 vs NinjaLink in LFs at Impact!, I realized this. People need to get better at catching stuff that's thrown at them and using it immediately. Even if it's something as simple as just catching the banana and throwing it right back at Diddy, it still messes up his momentum.

Edit: Watch this match of Vex vs Jtails. Vex really makes the MU look like a 0. Notice how dynamic Vex's item/banana play is. It's really not that hard to get the banana in hand and use it effectively. That match was even on BF, supposedly one of Diddy's strongest stages. Combine this play with Waddles and gimps (Vex was using those well too) and I really don't think this MU is any worse than -1.

Edit 2: And this 'infinite' is not as prominent as many people believe, I think.
Jtails giving him the bananas for free doesn't make it less dangerous than it is. That no one uses the infinite doesn't mean that it doesn't break the MU for :diddy:; if :metaknight: and :dedede: are essentially the same weight class... yeah.

All-in-all you're mistaking relatively low-level anecdotes with what the two characters are capable of.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
On the topic of :diddy: vs. :dedede:, when I see comments talking about the :diddy: MU while having a banana in hand, I always wonder how they got that banana to begin with, seeing as :dedede: can't safely grab a banana and if :diddy: reads the banana grab, :dedede: loses a large chunk of damage or his stock.

More importantly, :diddy:'s keep away game banana/flip mix-ups shuts down :dedede: with a heavily skewed risk-reward ratio, until :dedede: can enter threat range. This has been the majority of :dedede:'s metagame advancement vs. Diddy in the past year or so and mostly consists of :dedede: mains in general learning banana control and in particular the tactical advantage(s) afforded by a waddle to limit :diddy:'s what Big D called burst options. The problem with this is that after this :diddy: is supposed to play still-quite-skewed footsies with :dedede: within three horizontal zones: Within :dedede: dash grab, within :dedede: Ftilt but beyond dash grab, and within :diddy: soft banana toss but beyond :dedede: Ftilt.

Also, the problem with walking up to :diddy: behind a waddle is that it's no longer useful if you use an attack (therefore no pokes) and the hit lag on waddles lowers his frame advantage and gives :diddy: an easy infinite.
My disciples <3.

:018:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
So Vex and Jtails are "low-level anecdotes"? :smash: ................'kay.

That no one uses the infinite doesn't mean that it doesn't break the MU for :diddy:
Yes it does. If DDD could reliably pull off all the infinites he had, he'd be breaking a lot of MUs. Player consistency and how likely good players are to pull off the techs in question should always be a major part of any MU.

if :metaknight: and :dedede: are essentially the same weight class... yeah.
Not sure what this means..... :confused:

Exdeath

Smash Master
So Vex and Jtails are "low-level anecdotes"? :smash: ................'kay.

Yes it does. If DDD could reliably pull off all the infinites he had, he'd be breaking a lot of MUs. Player consistency and how likely good players are to pull off the techs in question should always be a major part of any MU.

Not sure what this means..... :confused:
You should re-read that.

Comparing :diddy:'s infinites with :dedede:'s relevant infinites is like comparing :dedede:'s jab lock options to :metaknight:'s.

It means that :diddy:'s infinites that punish a character as difficult to punish as :metaknight: would obviously work on :dedede:, and if properly executed cause him to require the same number of reads to take a stock.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Legitimate Q: Can't you just escape the "infinite" by falling offstage?
Diddy can control the direction of the banana lock, making it both inescapable indefinite without a significant stage change (e.g. Frigate flipping).

Stalling rules aside, it is theoretically possible for :diddy: to win a tournament set with two reads.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I don't see many (make that any) diddys doing this, so I'm really going to have to say that it probably doesn't factor into MUs that much. His MU spread would probably be a lot better if it did. The fact that 4GOD does well against Player-1 and BigLou using his Waddle + naner strat and Vex did well against Jtails' Diddy with the same strat should say a lot.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I don't see many (make that any) diddys doing this, so I'm really going to have to say that it probably doesn't factor into MUs that much. His MU spread would probably be a lot better if it did. The fact that 4GOD does well against Player-1 and BigLou using his Waddle + naner strat and Vex did well against Jtails' Diddy with the same strat should say a lot.
It's no longer rare for :diddy: players to infinite common characters (e.g. :metaknight:). The reason that you don't see it affecting match-ups on a larger scale is because knowing the banana lock for :dedede: is largely unnecessary; top :diddy: players consistently beat their :dedede: counterparts. If I recall correctly, this is without exception. To be clear, an example of what I mean by "counterpart" is Coney losing to Gnes. I know that Jtails is a notable threat in your region, but certainly not at national level. The same goes for P-1 and, historically, Vex.

You also have to keep in mind that any given MU spread is not necessarily accurate in general (e.g. :dedede: vs. :snake:) nor do MU spreads necessarily reflect a true match-up at what the characters are capable of -- plausible (e.g. :popo: 0 - deaths) or implausible (e.g. flawless :marth:).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Okay, I have a couple of things to say here. First of all, because DDD is so hard to kill and Sheik dies relatively early, the chances are pretty even of either character getting the stock lead first. Something minor that I just wanted to put out there.

Secondly, your statement here...

plays perfectly into what I was saying during the earlier discussion on the topic. Sheik will be very hard-pressed to find an instance where she can actually knock DDD far enough away to actually pull off a safe, clean transformation, all without losing the stock tie/lead. DDD is heavy and Sheik is weak. Knocking him that far away will take a long time, and all the while Sheik is still risking losing a stock herself so that DDD has the lead. If DDD ever gets the lead, then the 'Sheilda strategy' should almost never come into effect until Sheik regains that lead because DDD will never be forced to approach, and a Zelda that HAS to approach is a Zelda in a lot of trouble.

Even if Sheik does get the lead, one cannot assume that she will automatically be able to acquire a safe transformation window.
I think you are confusing "unable to kill" with "unable to knock off".
Sheik has Bair, Uair and, hell, even Dsmash.
All of them are fast, relatively safe (except Dsmash) and knock DeDeDe far away, even if neither of them can ever kill him.

If DeDeDe gets the lead, chances are Sheik got outplayed, and yes, in that one case swithcing becomes absurdly hard, or even not worth it.

I was only talking in response to that one statement:

I interpreted this as "If you switch to Zelda to land the first KO but find yourself unable to switch back to Sheik, that's OK because you can just fight the remainder of the match as Zelda," hence my reply. If DDD:Zelda is a +2, then why would it be beneficial for Zelda to attempt to remove three stocks by herself, or rather, why would it be beneficial for Sheilda to attempt to remove three stocks as Zelda without switching back?
The remainder of the match? it's just the remainder of the stock, and when she reappears she can change back safely during invincibility (assuming the load time in the Wii is correct).
maybe I worded that one poorly.

You're assuming there there isn't such a thing as a harder 0. 45:55 is harder than 50:50. It's still a 0 in my eyes.
That's an issue of perception.
I won't debte that, because everyone can have different opinions on that matter.

From personal experience, I can actually believe the latter more than the former. I don't know how well-known Nuke's Diddy is, but I've played him several times and I can say that Waddles just transform that MU. That and active gimping make the MU not that bad.

Also, during our MU discussions on the DDD boards, 4GOD came in and told us why he thinks it's possibly -1:

That post was several months ago. More recently, he came into the Official MU Chart thread and agreed that Diddy is -1:

I believe Coney thinks it's a -2, though. Btw, both players think Falco is still a -2, so as I said, I think it's more believable that DDD:Diddy is -1 than DDD:Falco.
Once, again, that's all about opinions and perceptions. Nobody is right or wrong, just think about it differently.
I play an aggressive Diddy that is constantly harrassing and punishing everything he can with bananas, even if he can't follow up.
That's why I hate the MU as DDD's Item throw is too slow and you can't punish as well as Diddy, or get rid of a banana if Diddy is too close so he can punish even that.
But, once again, that's my opinion.

More importantly, :diddy:'s keep away banana/flip mix-ups shut down :dedede: with a heavily skewed risk-reward ratio, until :dedede: can enter threat range. This has been the majority of :dedede:'s metagame advancement vs. :diddy: in the past year or so and mostly consists of :dedede: mains in general learning banana control and in particular the tactical advantage(s) afforded by a waddle to limit what Big D called burst options. The problem with this is that afterward, :diddy: is supposed to play still-quite-skewed footsies with :dedede: within three horizontal zones: Within :dedede: dash grab, within :dedede: Ftilt but beyond dash grab, and within :diddy: soft banana toss but beyond :dedede: Ftilt.

I didn't even read that because of the icons.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
i don't know if i can post here. But i think you shouldn't consider diddy's infinite in the matchup, for it's very hard to achieve and to set up.
I kknow it sounds silly, because it's quite different, but we don't talk about the buffered pivot grab infinite for DDD, therefore ddk's infinite shouldn't affect the Mu aswell (imo)
Then again i'm not qualified enough to argue with anything, it's just a point of view from the average ddd user.

Exdeath

Smash Master
i don't know if i can post here. But i think you shouldn't consider diddy's infinite in the matchup, for it's very hard to achieve and to set up.
I kknow it sounds silly, because it's quite different, but we don't talk about the buffered pivot grab infinite for DDD, therefore ddk's infinite shouldn't affect the Mu aswell (imo)
Then again i'm not qualified enough to argue with anything, it's just a point of view from the average ddd user.
This is a public forum, so I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately for :dedede:, :diddy: easily sets up the infinite on him (he can go into the infinite from a glide toss, other banana locks, etc. allowing him to punish things like Ftilt or a whiffed grab with the infinite) and :dedede: has a considerably more difficult positional requirement (to my knowledge, he must be directly above :diddy:) -- I would argue impractically so.

Two reasons come to mind as to why :diddy:'s infinite shouldn't be compared with :dedede:'s non-standing infinites: :dedede:'s non-standing infinites aren't true infinites due to tripping while :diddy:'s infinites are and also I don't think that you can compare a technique that hasn't been used in any notable tournament match with something that is consistently used by multiple players in multiple regions.

I will, however, concede that :diddy: players generally don't utilize any infinites on :dedede: in the current metagame and so those who take a "current snapshot of the metagame" should indeed ignore it as a factor in the match-up. I personally do not subscribe to this logic, with a particular counter-example being that :popo: players typically mess up the chain grab vs. :dedede:, yet the match-up still accounts for an infinite, tripless chain grab despite a relatively high risk for tripping when setting up and converting into the infinite (compared to :diddy:'s).

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
didn't 9b do the single nanner lock against a diddy during a tournament as ddd? I think the infinites might play a bigger role than generally thought but it goes both ways. Both characters can nanner infinite not just diddy.

Edit: got ninja'd by Exdeath...

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If DeDeDe gets the lead, chances are Sheik got outplayed, and yes, in that one case swithcing becomes absurdly hard, or even not worth it.
Nitpicking, but couldn't the same be said if Sheik gets the stock lead (which was what I was referring to)? Then she just "outplayed" the DDD. Sheik:DDD is an even MU largely because Sheik dies early. I could honestly see either character being easily "outplayed" and losing that stock lead.

The remainder of the match? it's just the remainder of the stock, and when she reappears she can change back safely during invincibility (assuming the load time in the Wii is correct).
This is something I talked about as well. I'm not sure about 'different loading times' but as I've seen it on most Wiis, the transformation outlasts the invincibility, so it's a free punish for DDD. Granted, it's a punish that won't amount to a CG or lost stock, but an fsmash punish (or even just a dsmash, usmash, or bthrow punish) gives a lot of damage, and as early as she dies, damage is not something that Sheik wants to be conceding to DDD. Again, since the Sheik:DDD MU is even, I can honestly see either character getting a stock lead first (or second) so it would be pretty bad if Sheik got punished pretty hard once the stocks were tied up again. That's just my opinion on Zelda transforming back to Sheik after losing a stock.

Now I don't know if some Wiis actually make the transformation time shorter than the invincibility time, but how would one control that, short of hacking his Wii? IMO, hacks should not factor into a MU evaluation because a MU shouldn't force someone to hack his Wii just to gain access to a certain benefit.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Breaking news, DDD-Sheilda is +1 in a Wii with bad loading times.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I don't even... :facepalm: I don't even understand how you came to that conclusion from what I said.

Edit: Ftr, you're the one who said:
when she reappears she can change back safely during invincibility (assuming the load time in the Wii is correct).
It's no longer rare for :diddy: players to infinite common characters (e.g. :metaknight:). The reason that you don't see it affecting match-ups on a larger scale is because knowing the banana lock for :dedede: is largely unnecessary; top :diddy: players consistently beat their :dedede: counterparts. If I recall correctly, this is without exception. To be clear, an example of what I mean by "counterpart" is Coney losing to Gnes. I know that Jtails is a notable threat in your region, but certainly not at national level. The same goes for P-1 and, historically, Vex.
So now we're nitpicking our evidence. .....Alright. No one one can really fight against manipulated data. :smash:

You also have to keep in mind that any given MU spread is not necessarily accurate in general (e.g. :dedede: vs. :snake:) nor do MU spreads necessarily reflect a true match-up at what the characters are capable of -- plausible (e.g. :popo: 0 - deaths) or implausible (e.g. flawless :marth:).
And that's why these panels are being created, to fix those things. Some of us don't think that Diddy:DDD is a +2, so we believe our MU spread is inaccurate in this regard. Same goes for DDD:Snake, and DDD:Fox, and DDD:Sheilda, and DDD:Falco. Some of us disagree with the chart. That's what we're talking about. The MU spreads should reflect what the characters are consistently and reliably capable of at a high level.

ICs consistently show that they can do 0-to-death grabs. Whenever I watch a set with even a mid-level ICs player in it, I see the CG done properly more often than not. Non-top level DDD's have shown that the dthrow > JC usmash can be done consistently and reliably, so it should be factored into our MUs. However, our pivot infinite is not consistent, although it would definitely be reliable whenever we landed a grab. Therefore, it shouldn't factor much, if at all, into any MU evaluations. I've seen the nanner lock done, but I haven't seen high-level Diddys pull it off reliably nor consistently, not even Japanese Diddys.

:dedede: has a considerably more difficult positional requirement (to my knowledge, he must be directly above :diddy:) -- I would argue impractically so.
I'm not sure what this means. I'm pretty sure Hoejja and I were talking about DDD's pivot grab infinite which just requires a grab, not being above the opponent.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Zelda/Sheik beating Dedede? what fresh hell is this?

Also I swear to god if the MU chart does not say we beat Peach in its next iteration i will unleash my full wrath upon your panel.

Because seriously it's tiring... We kill her stupidly early and she can't kill us. We have a CG gimmick on her and she has nothing on us except for attempting to camp us out.

Top Bottom