• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I guess they're saving the announcement until after Starlink finishes selling its copies, because Retro steals the spotlight whenever it breathes on a Nintendo IP. As optimistic as it sounds, a reveal at the video game awards this December may be our best chance to learn anything before the end of the year.
Makes sense, I guess they figured that more people would buy Star Link to have a proper space game where you can play Fox McCloud before revealing a racing spin-off.

That's what killed Federation Force and what's killing Blizzard right now.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
So as many people know, Smash Ultimate has already been broken into, and among the stuff is the entire list of spirits in the game, Here's the list of the Starfox entities.

The spread makes sense for how many they picked, with the glaring exception of Dash, I want to know if ANYONE cares about him lmao. I remember lucy and amanda before him even. Regardless our girl is an assist and a spirit. Wonder if my prediction
for her will be right, I'm hoping she's primary, watch her be an advanced level support, her support skill is easy to figure out if it is, player starts with a Staff, it would be thematically appropriate considering she has to pass her's up to Fox in her home game. There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC, yea I wouldn't bank on those being filled, I'm suspecting 10 personally, but only time will tell that aswell. Other than that I recommend people being careful navigating the net as release comes up, I don't think people have cracked into the cutscenes yet but I don't intend to wait around to find them.

All in all that's pretty good for the fair vixen, a competent looking assist trophy and hopefully a strong spirit, It's better than what alot of other characters got, If there's really a large ass DLC planned then maybe there will still be assist promotions, but I think it's all she wrote. We'll have to see next year when she shows up for GP (if it's not cancelled) for more Krystal content. Switch is finally looking pretty good, still got alot of work to catch up to the gamecube's game spread but it's a good start lol.

Also on a personal note, Federation Force would have had poor reception even if Prime 4 was in people's hands, I know that I would still be pissed about it too, If they released right next to each other, people would have likely just made memes about it and it would have had marginally better sales.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC, yea I wouldn't bank on those being filled, I'm suspecting 10 personally, but only time will tell that aswell. Other than that I recommend people being careful navigating the net as release comes up, I don't think people have cracked into the cutscenes yet but I don't intend to wait around to find them.
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC, yea I wouldn't bank on those being filled, I'm suspecting 10 personally, but only time will tell that aswell.
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC,
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots
>30

Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg

Does this mean other Star Fox characters might have a chance after all? At least, in case Krystal still isn't promoted and spirits aren't necessarily barriers.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC, yea I wouldn't bank on those being filled, I'm suspecting 10 personally, but only time will tell that aswell.
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots for playable fighters, which would be 6 years of DLC,
>There's also about 30 placeholder slots
>30

View attachment 179519

Does this mean other Star Fox characters might have a chance after all? At least, in case Krystal still isn't promoted and spirits aren't necessarily barriers.
I doubt it personally, Krystal was the best and really only chance for a unique SF kit, and they've outright stated that paid DLC fighters aren't going to be echoes, of course there's no telling if we get free echoes or not. That's also $150 of dlc fighters, which would be obscene. I mean I still might buy it, but hey lmao.
But it does add credence to the possibility of more than one DLC wave, which was almost a given anyway, there's no reason not to support this game for aslong as feasibly possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt it personally, Krystal was the best and really only chance for a unique SF kit, and they've outright stated that paid DLC fighters aren't going to be echoes, of course there's no telling if we get free echoes or not. That's also $150 of dlc fighters, which would be obscene. I mean I still might buy it, but hey lmao.
But it does add credence to the possibility of more than one DLC wave, which was almost a given anyway, there's no reason not to support this game for aslong as feasibly possible.
Who knows, semi-echoes are a thing if Isabelle is any indication.

Regardless, this is the best thing to come out of this datamine so far.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
But who is even left to add other than Krystal, Dixie, or even Waluigi

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
***** we just got a generic mario NPC as a playable fighter, they can pick literally any character they can build a kit for at that point. We'll likely get mostly third parties, and if we get a second one we could double dip in those franchises. There's all sorts of rumors swirling about what our DLC picks are, One of the most prominent being the fricken minecraft protagonist, these requests are not coming from hardcore fans, they are picked by Nintendo, meaning that they'll likely be wildly recognized. Our fan rule of bottom of the barrel is completely out of the window, as odd as it might be. Honestly at this point i'm just hoping their kits are interesting and fun. If we're REALLY lucky we'll get a wave of assist trophy promotions, but that seems doubtful.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
***** we just got a generic mario NPC as a playable fighter, they can pick literally any character they can build a kit for at that point. We'll likely get mostly third parties, and if we get a second one we could double dip in those franchises. There's all sorts of rumors swirling about what our DLC picks are, One of the most prominent being the fricken minecraft protagonist, these requests are not coming from hardcore fans, they are picked by Nintendo, meaning that they'll likely be wildly recognized. Our fan rule of bottom of the barrel is completely out of the window, as odd as it might be. Honestly at this point i'm just hoping their kits are interesting and fun. If we're REALLY lucky we'll get a wave of assist trophy promotions, but that seems doubtful.
I guess, but I just wish we'd get one more fanservice request be playable via DLC, but if Waluigi gets promoted then there would be no reason for our girl to not get promoted either

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Still holding out for a Star Fox Zero Sequel (Star Fox one?) with all three girls on the team.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I just heard some great news over at the Isaac thread!

So to quote someone from the general thread,

"I saw on reddit that someone's reporting that certain Assist Trophies and Pokeballs can't appear on some stages:

- Palkia won't spawn on Spear Pillar
- The Moon won't spawn on Great Bay
- Klap Trap won't spawn on Jungle Japes

...we have a precedent to remove Assist Trophies and Pokémon from the rotation! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"

Not sure if it means much, but it's something.
That is actually great! That means they programmed them to turn off under certain circumstances and could do (if they wanted) the same if they decide to have an AT to become playable. Being picked would be likely the circumstance to turn said AT off
Guess that means Knuckles won't spawn on Green Hill Zone?
That someone was me!
Don't lose your hope yet Isaac fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Bandana Dee and Captain Toad. Sylux, Gen 8 Pokemon, Eldengard (for promotional purposes). Twintelle for the ARMS rep. Nintendo has so MANY characters/franchises that it saddens me we will probably get mostly 3rd parties as DLC...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bandana Dee and Captain Toad. Sylux, Gen 8 Pokemon, Eldengard (for promotional purposes). Twintelle for the ARMS rep. Nintendo has so MANY characters/franchises that it saddens me we will probably get mostly 3rd parties as DLC...
I'd be okay with that if it means they'll actually pay attention to SNK, the poor guys don't do much actual new games beyond compilations these days.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just heard some great news over at the Isaac thread!
Well this bodes well, though I think the one who'll benifit the most from all of this is Spring Man given that ARMS is still a thing.

Additionally, it also works with the whole 30 additional slots found as without all the Assisst Trophy characters I don't think any of us could make it to 30 more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well this bodes well, though I think the one who'll benifit the most from all of this is Spring Man given that ARMS is still a thing.

Additionally, it also works with the whole 30 additional slots found as without all the Assisst Trophy characters I don't think any of us could make it to 30 more.
Yeah, about that.

First of all, it's 29 slots, and second, these slots are for IDs, which serve a purpose beyond just characters, as some of those slots can be filled up by alts or costumes (e.g. Cloud takes 2 slots, Bowser Jr. takes 8).

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than 10 DLC characters, if not slightly more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, about that.

First of all, it's 29 slots, and second, these slots are for IDs, which serve a purpose beyond just characters, as some of those slots can be filled up by alts or costumes (e.g. Cloud takes 2 slots, Bowser Jr. takes 8).

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than 10 DLC characters, if not slightly more.
Any idea how alt a costume needs to be for it to take up a slot? Like, does Spikey Eared Pichu get one?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any idea how alt a costume needs to be for it to take up a slot? Like, does Spikey Eared Pichu get one?
While more informed folks would explain it better than me, I imagine it would be anything that's more complex than a color swap or a hat/slight body part alteration. Different shirts probably don't count either.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
This information suggests even more that they're treating some of these ATs closer to fighters this time. Maybe ATs could really be smash purgatory, but that sounds silly, why make ATs if you'd leave the option to turn them into full fighters in the same game? The only thing would be if something would change inbetween now and DLC for the summary of these fighters. Come to think of it, I've heard people saying that Chrom uses his pair-up model, and that Isabelle uses her AT model. I've seen nothing to verify either of those claims. But I know the black knight and isaac seem to use custom models from their appearences. Maybe there really is a possibility of them clumsily upgrading the models into fighters, The Krystal model is a tad rough, but that would hardly stop me from accepting it openly if they upgraded them down the line. I mean recycling work to save time and effort has been done since Smash 4, Now sakurai's excuse of "having nothing to model her after" is irrelevant because they have her already. Who knows, maybe 2021 Krystal will be announced as DLC fighter 7 or something. I mean it's not like almost any other character will suddenly get a reason to get a promotion. Krystal hasn't existed for sometime and she's almost certainly in a new game that will show up 2019. Isaac is from a long dead franchise as a whole, so I'd say his chances are rockier. We do have a chance boys, but It's rather uncertain. Until we see an AT promoted I'm not sure there's anything else to do.

Also most characters don't have more than 2 alts, Bowser Jr. is a glaring exception, Originally I'd say Krystal would have gotten two, but I'm guessing we'll likely just see the one. We'll find out what happens.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
This information suggests even more that they're treating some of these ATs closer to fighters this time. Maybe ATs could really be smash purgatory, but that sounds silly, why make ATs if you'd leave the option to turn them into full fighters in the same game? The only thing would be if something would change inbetween now and DLC for the summary of these fighters. Come to think of it, I've heard people saying that Chrom uses his pair-up model, and that Isabelle uses her AT model. I've seen nothing to verify either of those claims. But I know the black knight and isaac seem to use custom models from their appearences. Maybe there really is a possibility of them clumsily upgrading the models into fighters, The Krystal model is a tad rough, but that would hardly stop me from accepting it openly if they upgraded them down the line. I mean recycling work to save time and effort has been done since Smash 4, Now sakurai's excuse of "having nothing to model her after" is irrelevant because they have her already. Who knows, maybe 2021 Krystal will be announced as DLC fighter 7 or something. I mean it's not like almost any other character will suddenly get a reason to get a promotion. Krystal hasn't existed for sometime and she's almost certainly in a new game that will show up 2019. Isaac is from a long dead franchise as a whole, so I'd say his chances are rockier. We do have a chance boys, but It's rather uncertain. Until we see an AT promoted I'm not sure there's anything else to do.

Also most characters don't have more than 2 alts, Bowser Jr. is a glaring exception, Originally I'd say Krystal would have gotten two, but I'm guessing we'll likely just see the one. We'll find out what happens.
Personally if true, wouldn't Krystal just use her attire in the next SF game?

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Personally if true, wouldn't Krystal just use her attire in the next SF game?
The whole point would be to reduce effort exerted, granted a Semiclone and an Echo are different than what krystal would be, but they would just tweak a few things about the Krystal AT and then go from there, Isabelle has some new moves in her kit, so Krystal could have some patchwork in her components aswell, IE some derivative moves.
But the point is, no she probably wouldn't.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Can we see what it says? I'm curious
It's mostly just dedicated fans within the discord communities are writing letters to Nintendo, I for example wrote a second one for it and made a post on the support twitter, Smokey21 Smokey21 says he found the person who runs the Krystal Petition aswell, telling him to update the thing to tell people to write letters.
It really is the best way to show them that we care about Krystal by telling them directly. I think he managed something like 10 letters, which is pretty good, but we could really ideally uses hundreds lmao. So if you want to throw a letter at Nintendo, you should definitely do so! there's not many places people seem to actively talk about Krystal much right now, but I'm hoping that changes in 2019. So any letters we can send would be great. Mr. Brownstone Mr. Brownstone 's letter apparently addresses how they've received other Krystal letters, so we should definitely keep adding more to it, as it seems to be doing something.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate is amazing. Just secretly hoping for a certain character to be added in dlc...
I can't say you're the only one, As expected, She won't be apart of Wave 1, based on Reggie's statement and on Joker himself. And the leakers are scratching their heads and Nintendo seems to be very deliberate about making these characters unexpected, and are throwing in fake names to bait leakers. So if she's in it will be a surprise to all of us. I'm thinking they're starting to understand that people do want her playable, but rather they care is left to be seen. She is among the Legend Spirits, which seem to be both important characters in their respective series, and otherwise some are Smash Requests.
Krystal Assist Zero Stats.jpg

figured I'd post it here if you guys somehow haven't seen it yet.
Funny enough, you get a power bonus if use a primary spirit from the same series, but no Starfox character uses magic, so you can't stack those bonuses. Infact the only Starfox character that would otherwise use magic is the vixen herself, so I guess screw us lmao. unless.. KRYSTAL CONFIRMED

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
I can't say you're the only one, As expected, She won't be apart of Wave 1, based on Reggie's statement and on Joker himself. And the leakers are scratching their heads and Nintendo seems to be very deliberate about making these characters unexpected, and are throwing in fake names to bait leakers. So if she's in it will be a surprise to all of us. I'm thinking they're starting to understand that people do want her playable, but rather they care is left to be seen. She is among the Legend Spirits, which seem to be both important characters in their respective series, and otherwise some are Smash Requests.View attachment 182790
Funny enough, you get a power bonus if use a primary spirit from the same series, but no Starfox character uses magic, so you can't stack those bonuses. Infact the only Starfox character that would otherwise use magic is the vixen herself, so I guess screw us lmao. unless.. KRYSTAL CONFIRMED
Yeah, I got that spirit too which kind of hurt like finding out that she was an assist trophy. Ironically one of my best spirits though...

But dlc is a small glimmer of hope that lets me come back to sulk here while showing my support since 4. Not a lot of hope for pack 1 but what if pack 2 Was about fan characters? One can dream.

(Would be nice to use yourself as a powerful spirit.)

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I got that spirit too which kind of hurt like finding out that she was an assist trophy. Ironically one of my best spirits though...

But dlc is a small glimmer of hope that lets me come back to sulk here while showing my support since 4. Not a lot of hope for pack 1 but what if pack 2 Was about fan characters? One can dream.

(Would be nice to use yourself as a powerful spirit.)
That's what I'm banking on, We need to tell them to upgrade her AT to fighter for Wave 2, that's what we've been doing with letters, we can always use more to tell nintendo to do so. You should do one if you can.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I can't say you're the only one, As expected, She won't be apart of Wave 1, based on Reggie's statement and on Joker himself. And the leakers are scratching their heads and Nintendo seems to be very deliberate about making these characters unexpected, and are throwing in fake names to bait leakers. So if she's in it will be a surprise to all of us. I'm thinking they're starting to understand that people do want her playable, but rather they care is left to be seen. She is among the Legend Spirits, which seem to be both important characters in their respective series, and otherwise some are Smash Requests.View attachment 182790
That's what I'm banking on, We need to tell them to upgrade her AT to fighter for Wave 2, that's what we've been doing with letters, we can always use more to tell nintendo to do so. You should do one if you can.
I see two possible scenarios that could happen with Ultimate DLC.

1. The next Starlink DLC for the Switch version could possibly be more Star Fox content including Krystal as playable pilot for the game. This is in turn would possibly spawn a fighter DLC pack in Ultimate with Krystal being promoted to a playable fighter. That being said with Joker being the first DLC fighter (who is 3rd party) makes think that the rest of the DLC fighters will not be 3rd party. Nintendo may be greedy at times like Wario, but Nintendo knows that 1st party characters are the ones that put bread on the table for them.

2. The next Starlink DLC is not more Star Fox content, but multi platform to benefit the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Starlink as sales for the game on those two systems were not very good at launch. This in turn would mean no Krystal DLC for Ultimate if this scenario occurred. The mystery Star Fox racing game would then be our only hope for Krystal making a comeback.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

1. The next Starlink DLC for the Switch version could possibly be more Star Fox content including Krystal as playable pilot for the game. This is in turn would possibly spawn a fighter DLC pack in Ultimate with Krystal being promoted to a playable fighter. That being said with Joker being the first DLC fighter (who is 3rd party) makes think that the rest of the DLC fighters will not be 3rd party. Nintendo may be greedy at times like Wario, but Nintendo knows that 1st party characters are the ones that put bread on the table for them.

2. The next Starlink DLC is not more Star Fox content, but multi platform to benefit the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Starlink as sales for the game on those two systems were not very good at launch. This in turn would mean no Krystal DLC for Ultimate if this scenario occurred. The mystery Star Fox racing game would then be our only hope for Krystal making a comeback.
I was about to say that seems favouring Nintendos StarLink game version more then Xbox and PS4 versions with more Star Fox DLC. Despite I love Star Fox and want Krystal badly, but more DLC for only 1 version of the game will have alot of negative backlash.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

personally I still think GP is our only hope, it's her only shot of catching up, people can beg all the want, but if the character isn't a part of a new game they aren't interested in them. She'd likely only appear in starlink if she really is planned for the game. Which I can't imagine them not doing. It's not like they aren't aware of her popularity; unlike her competitors, she has a real chance of being a new game.

I was about to say that seems favouring Nintendos StarLink game version more then Xbox and PS4 versions with more Star Fox DLC. Despite I love Star Fox and want Krystal badly, but more DLC for only 1 version of the game will have alot of negative backlash.
You know I hadn't considered that, but the switch version was the dominant one from the start, and Star Fox kinda put it on the map to begin with. toys-to-life is an expensive gimmick, something that nintendo fans would potentially eat up, I doubt the first DLC will be krystal at all. but I can say I am curious to see what it would be. As there's nothing really to project with.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas to Team Star Krystal from all of us at the Toad Brigade.

This year we got you a little something! Enjoy!

View attachment 184264View attachment 184265
View attachment 184266
View attachment 184267

Rest of the Christmas Comic can be found here! Merry ChriSmash!
Wow, this sure isn't what I expected to find in the thread! The sheer thought of this existing is nice, thanks for sharing the love to the Krystal fans! Because I sure know they need it. Hope you have a good christmas!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys, I think we need to do what the Isaac fans are doing with #GoldenSunday and how us K. Rool did with the Kremling Kampaign. We should aware more people about Krystal on places like Twitter and Facebook and about her absence from her series. We should save Krystal and bring her back to her series #FreeKrystal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Guys, I think we need to do what the Isaac fans are doing with #GoldenSunday and how us K. Rool did with the Kremling Kampaign. We should aware more people about Krystal on places like Twitter and Facebook and about her absence from her series. We should save Krystal and bring her back to her series #FreeKrystal.
More than that, an effort to keep Star Fox alive should be done.

Top Bottom