• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talking vs Being Quiet During a Match

Corigames

Smash Hero
I do what feels natural during a fight. Funny faces, weird noises, moving around, etc.

If it makes me feel like I'm playing better, I 'll stick to it.

Eaode

Smash Champion
If it's friendlies or with someone I know, I'll have some small conversation going on. But if it's an important match I'm silent, and focussed on the game.

I don't play serious matches enough lol. Found this out when I instinctively tried to Falcon punch at a tourney. It worked out though cuz people were like "O **** watch out!!" so it was fun :p

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Normally, my talking depends on how well I know the person. I haven't spent much time with the people in my area, so I don't really talk much besides occasional observations and puns. I'm just shy like that >_>

But when I get with my cousin or one of my longtime friends, it's hardly like we're even playing. There's yelling, taunting, "YEEEEAAAAH BOY, WHAT'CHU GONNA DO? WHAT'CHU GONNA DO!!!!!", etc. going on on the whole time.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Normally, my talking depends on how well I know the person. I haven't spent much time with the people in my area, so I don't really talk much besides occasional observations and puns. I'm just shy like that >_>

But when I get with my cousin or one of my longtime friends, it's hardly like we're even playing. There's yelling, taunting, "YEEEEAAAAH BOY, WHAT'CHU GONNA DO? WHAT'CHU GONNA DO!!!!!", etc. going on on the whole time.
Your sig is absolutely amazing.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Talking during a match, even to yourself, can be an effective mindgame, if for no other reason than it annoys your opponent

She-Geek

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of people don't talk much during serious matches because it often leads to laughing ^-^ Which unfortunately makes most of us squint up our eyes and can't see as well (which obviously makes you play like crap). If anyone johns because of talking they need to be slapped! If it was ruining their game they should have shut-up! Personally, in serious matches I react to stuff but I don't just go on about my daily life.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
im a talker.

I make stupid comments about the match, and i'd say something like "nice move" if they owned me with something particularly good. Andanytime i fooled/read/tricked my opponent i say "MINDGAMES!!" lol

also, EXTENDRRRRRRRRR!!!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Talking during a match, even to yourself, can be an effective mindgame, if for no other reason than it annoys your opponent
That's pretty douche to talk just to distract people.

I only say one of two phrases: "Pwnage!" and "Mindgames, son!"

Zjiin

Smash Master
Sometimes when i get an advantage, i whistle a song to myself loud, so everyone can enjoy. It usually lasts the next two sets.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Talking is fun

Seriously.

They're friendlies.

Take the stick out of your ***, Kosuke.

Jeeze, playing you is so unpleasant.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
When I was posting that, you weren't the whole subject on my mind.

I am too serious whenever I play, Tai.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well the person I smash with tends to stay quiet during a match cause he takes just about everything in smash seriously, I on the other screw around a lot and try to talk, but usually it fails.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I'll try to get into someone's head if I know that person has a bad temper and if it causes them to eff up.

I've done it before and it's worked

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to get into someone's head if I know that person has a bad temper and if it causes them to eff up.

I've done it before and it's worked
I hope after the match you add I was just messing with you or something.Making someone angry and mentally upset while hes trying to have a good time playing smash is just bad sportsmanship and its called being an @$#. :ohwell:

Theres a difference between trash talking and talking trash...

Bailey

Smash Hero
I hope after the match you add I was just messing with you or something.Making someone angry and mentally upset while hes trying to have a good time playing smash is just bad sportsmanship and its called being an @$#. :ohwell:

Theres a difference between trash talking and talking trash...
Well the thing is.

I just don't care

Bailey

Smash Hero
No not even that like I just don't care about the other person if I am talking trash. If they have a problem with it, guess what? I still don't care = ]

I <33 bein a d!ck

Uck

Smash Journeyman
No not even that like I just don't care about the other person if I am talking trash. If they have a problem with it, guess what? I still don't care = ]

I <33 bein a d!ck
Your comments are silly and very wannabe.Its to bad you dont play in Florida...Ill make you a nice humble pie. :laugh:

Bailey

Smash Hero
How is that too bad?

THAT WAS OUR THING. We were the first ones to pick on him. FLORIDA IS BITTERS unless it's: QDVS, ColBol, HungryBox or someone else that I like from there I just can't remember.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
How is that too bad?

THAT WAS OUR THING. We were the first ones to pick on him. FLORIDA IS BITTERS unless it's: QDVS, ColBol, HungryBox or someone else that I like from there I just can't remember.
Thats nice just let me know when your in Florida.I dont want to find out you came down and we didnt get a chance to play smash.I can personally show you how its possible to lose a match talking trash to a "hot tempered player".

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Some of you are out of your mind.Playing to win is the point and its common sense but then there are those that are disrespectful and hide behind the mantra of playing to win, perverting it, then abuse people.

All I am saying is there are consequences some of you havent experienced when being needlessly disrespectful in a tournament.Probably because you disrespect the little guy which makes you a bully.

Im all for trash talking its fun but acting subhuman and disrespectful is something else.If you disrespect me in a manner that goes over the line im going to disrespect you 10 fold and make an example out of you.

I think im going a bit overboard with this Im just an anti bully by nature.Im saying that if you combo someone and say "Eat That" its all in good fun but if you say you suck and shouldnt have come to the tournament is a completly different thing.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Some of you are out of your mind.Playing to win is the point and its common sense but then there are those that are disrespectful and hide behind the mantra of playing to win, perverting it, then abuse people.

All I am saying is there are consequences some of you havent experienced when being needlessly disrespectful in a tournament.Probably because you disrespect the little guy which makes you a bully.

Im all for trash talking its fun but acting subhuman and disrespectful is something else.If you disrespect me in a manner that goes over the line im going to disrespect you 10 fold and make an example out of you.

I think im going a bit overboard with this Im just an anti bully by nature.Im saying that if you combo someone and say "Eat That" its all in good fun but if you say you suck and shouldnt have come to the tournament is a completly different thing.
Let people say what they want. Those who can back it up deserve to say anything. I'm not sure how many of you guys are familiar with the Marvel vs Capcom 2 community, but there's a really annoying black player named Dark Prince. He talks mad ****, but it's to the point that it's personal and not in the spirit of the game (I agree with you Uck, there's no need to take trash talk that far). He even goes far enough to call someone a "washed-up veteran" and claims that he "****ing sucks"...only for this to happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUH-wSTzyzA

In short. If you talk trash (whether it be for fun or on a personal level [which is COMPLETELY disrespectful]), then back it up.

FrozenHarpie

Smash Rookie
I'm very talkative during matches. I actually think it works to my advantage. Regardless of whether they respond or not, they ARE listening.

But I don't talk trash. More like errant idle chatter.

aJerk

Smash Rookie
in friendlies i talk just to talk - regular conversation.

when i'm winning i'll tell my opponent what i'm going to do to him next even if i don't plan to. frustrating people into confusion is easy when you have momentum on your side.

when i'm losing i talk smack to be ironic, and because humor puts me at ease which gives me a better shot at turning the match in my favor.

Top Bottom