• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

talking during battles?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is this ok or frowned upon in the Smash society?
I'm a fan, but not sure if this is....kosher?

pdk

Smash Lord
judging from match vids recorded mexican bootleg style, it is indeed kosher

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Me and my friends -NEVER- shut up. At tournaments im doing the same thing... in friendlies...

I think generally during an important tourney match the players are so into the competition that they wont want to say a word (unless one guy is totally ****** the other guy and he gets cocky and trash talks)

But the people cheering the contestents on are always alowed to say whatever they want.

tis smashbros, just dont pause the game... dont be a scrub, no johns. Say wtv the **** you want :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
But the people cheering the contestents on are always alowed to say whatever they want.
Within reason. Coaching from the sidlines is frowned apon, and so would trash taling the players. If they trash talk each other is one thing, having someone, or more than 1 trash talking one of them, it throws them off and really isn't fair.

But that's me being picky. :)

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
I would say that if the two who's playing are joking around and having a good time as they talk, then what's the harm? Otherwise, they should just keep quiet and play IMO.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
What about MLG coaching rules? isn't it something like you can talk to the person playing in between matches, but you can't say anything to them during the match?

WFL

Smash Journeyman
At our school we always talk during battles and cheer/chirp them on.
Yeah same thing here. Just today I was down to my last stock and we play two off so I just tried to wobble the other people with one life, but another kid comes out of nowhere and DK punches me in the face while I was wobbling the first person and I die. Right after that I just get in his face the entire match yelling in his face and he lost because of it. I felt accomplished :).

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
In my experience, people usually say whatever. Typically, the players of a particularly serious match (like finals) won't say much, but the crowd is very vocal. The only thing that I think is really frowned on is specific advice. For example, if someone in the crowd notices a flaw in one of the player's game, it would NOT be acceptable for him to point it out. "Hey, man! He's ALWAYS teching to the right! Just run over and downsmash right when he techs!" That kind of stuff is just no good. Generic stuff like "You got 'im!" "Finish him!" "Do the things that make them die!" or "Extender!" are fine.

Oh, and this all changes in crew battles. To me, for crew battles, the crews should be able to say whatever they want, be it trash talk or blatant advice.

That's my 2 cents.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Within reason. Coaching from the sidlines is frowned apon, and so would trash taling the players. If they trash talk each other is one thing, having someone, or more than 1 trash talking one of them, it throws them off and really isn't fair.

But that's me being picky. :)
Yeah, depends on the tournament and the level of seriousness I think, and in most smash tournaments no one is being serious... I think at like MLG I didnt hear stuff like coaching or trash talking going on...

but in the east vs west crew battle... holy crap, Wes never shut the **** up...

*chu loses Nana*

Comon Chu, You dont NEED that B itch!

I had to mute my volume. Its like Wes or whoever it was yelling (sounded like a black guy thats why im pointing fingers at wes but it could be another black smasher I just dunno who else is black aside from him) was stuck on a loop,.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I agree that it would be nice if Brawl had chat capabilities that's even saying if we even gat online capabilities and not hearing from Sakura is making me have thoughts whether we'll even have such a mode.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was just curious, becaues recently I attended a tournament where it soon became apparent that I would be the punching bag of the day. (I'm not lousy, I just use DK, easy to ko) So, knowing this I continually was asking my fox/falco/ice climber opponent if they had either had enough, or wanted to right the pain train. They had no response whatsoever. This led me to wonder if I had broken some code about not talking during matches.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
I can't multitask, so I don't talk. I think that trash-talkers are amusing, but I let actions speak for themselves, I don't like to talk during a match. The only time I'll say something is if I have a chance to say something really cocky or annoying, it really makes the other person mad. I've been to a tournament, actually, where they banned talking in a match. Talking makes me do worse, so I don't do it anyway.

But, some people talk. And talk. And talk...

Smash Master
I like to talk. I like when others talk. It makes the game more fun.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
these are some of my "me vs bro" battle quotes

"thats all you got?"

"what happend? you gotten weak"

"WEEAK"

"you still tryin to wavedash? you cant!"

" HA! L-cancel"

when im losing:

"...hmm"

" man,you cheap"

"doesnt hurt"

frustrated:

"grrr."

"ok,its "hyaa" time" (thats...a weird quote...:embarrass )

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
My Friend: -Kirbycided-
Me: Come on, you know you're not supposed to be near a ledge when I play Kirby!

My Friend: -Fourstocked-
Me: Waugh! Cho' face.

My Friend: No, your face.
Me: Face at cho' waugh!

My Friend: So what? I just owned your Kirby.
-This is when I seem to have unlimited comebacks-
Me: Well, my girlfriend's bra size is 32 D! Beat that, fool!

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah, one of my friends when he watches always yells "Use the kill button!' I actually kind of think that it's rude not to talk during a match. It makes it very eerie and no fun.

Lightshade

Smash Ace
For me and my friends it usually depends on the match. If it is a serious one-one battle, everyone will usually keep quite. But as in, for example, 4 player free for all, everyone is chatting about daily things, and current events and whatnot. We get very socail while playing smash, it's a great thing.

kabloodysun

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty much impossible not to talk trash when you successfully use Jigglypuff's Rest on somebody. It is for me anyway. :)

In tournaments, when I am losing I am quiet, but when I'm winning I talk alot.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
If I'm playing in a FFA and I'm knocked out like 2nd to last I do smack talk commentary, it throws people off and it's hilarious. lmao

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
When I'm playing 4way, I always say, "Hey look, Mark's winning, lets kill him!" or in the usual case that I'm winning, "You b@$ht@rds, stop teaming on me!"

However, I find that resorting to physical abuse works better. I use sheik, run in get a couple of great combos, then just slap them. Run away then back in and slap again, basicaly taunting them, and just all around pissing them off. It's great fun.

MikeMoney

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say I dont talk much I laugh alot in friendlys compliment on a combo or laugh at an SD but in tournys it's all serious

Starzonedge

Smash Ace
I try to keep it friendly, as long as I like the person. >_> There are some ***holes that I don't want to play with to begin with because of how annoying they are during a match, and then I'm quiet.

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Is this ok or frowned upon in the Smash society?
I'm a fan, but not sure if this is....kosher?
I rarely shut up while playing/spectating...I hate silence while Smashing. I'm almost always being cantankerous, ask anyone who regularly sees me at MD/VA ****. And if it bothers people, I generally don't stop until I get a reaction. =)

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
off topic, but I love that you used the word cantankerous. Also I smash in MD, where are you located at?

Ghostype

Smash Champion
Good sir cantankerous is my favorite word, and I am located in Baltimore, if you're anywhere close to that area we need to Smash. And if you're closer to say, Waldorf (southern MD), PM me anyway cause I know someone out there who needs competition.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Lol, my friends and I rarely play a quiet game of Smash - that's only in friendlies though. In tournament play, I think the general rule is to be quiet, but the competitors can talk with each other if they want to.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
@ Dylan That was KillaOR yelling the whole time.. he **** talked the whole match it was hilarious..

Wes has a very noticable voice he talks a lot too but it was drowned out by Killa..

I've never been to a quiet tourney... its impossible

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
appletree, I'm located in Harford County, sorry about your friend, I'm not in Southern Maryland.

Top Bottom