• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
How is it "regular"? The Wonder Chef and Affection system set it apart from most RPGs. As do the anime cutscenes, great character development, and amazing soundtrack.

You probably meant no harm, but ToS is far from "regular". ;"P
Don´t forget the skit conversations, they´re propably the funniest thing I´ve seen in games for a long time. I also enjoyed the numerous sidequests in the original game.

Sadly there weren´t many of those anime cutscenes in ToS, they were really enjoyable. I hope that they have more of those in the new game...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
How is it "regular"? The Wonder Chef and Affection system set it apart from most RPGs. As do the anime cutscenes, great character development, and amazing soundtrack.

You probably meant no harm, but ToS is far from "regular". ;"P
Wonder Chef- So instead of item synthesis we get Wonder Chef. It's the exact same concept, really.

Anime Cutscenes- Weren't there like four?

Character development- I said it has a good story. Character development falls there.

Soundtrack- That doesn't change the game, and honestly I didn't think the OST was that good for this game. But, to each his own, right?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Wonder Chef- So instead of item synthesis we get Wonder Chef. It's the exact same concept, really.
I think that wonder chef was more like the basic "collect x-amount of something" kind of thing than item synthesis. I see what you mean, but I find it represent collecting more than synthesising.

Anime Cutscenes- Weren't there like four?
Or three: opening, ending and the one in middle-game. Unless I have forgot one... Oh yeah, the one that lasted about 4 seconds and showed the tower of salvation.

Also, your location contains false information: everyone knows that Santa lives in Finland :p

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm skeptical, the team that made Tales of Legendia is making this one, and if they repeat their mistakes this game will be crap like ToL. At least Abyss made some improvements and kept the Tales feel but ToL was just horrible and from what I've heard about this game they'll be throwing in gimmicks like fighting with monsters which doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Source? I haven't heard this.
Source is his ***. Nobody knows which team is working on this.

Famitsu gave it 31/40 (8/8/8/7) which is lower than the 34/40 Symphonia got. Then again, Famitsu has about as much credibility as GamePro so I'll wait for some real impressions from Japanese gamers.

I just pre-ordered this at Amazon.ca. $39.99 + $1.25 filler item - $10 coupon + free shipping = ~$34.24 after tax.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I can't wait for this. Vesperia, Innocence, and DotNW are my top three most-wanted games right now. Though Vesperia looks like it's going to be the FFVIII of the Tales games...eh, I'll still buy it.

So I have a question: why all the dissension on the monster-usage thing? Have none of you people ever played a Dragon Quest Monsters games? Persona 3's a more recent monsteRPG I could reference as well. When done right, the mechanic totally rocks. I say don't worry about it.

KosukeKGA said:
I wonder which characters will show up in the Colosseum.
I'm really hoping we'll get to fight Cress & Co. from Phantasia, but I'd give my left arm to fight a three-person party of Veigue, Tytree and Annie from Rebirth. Alternatively, and depending on whether or not we actually get Tales of Innocence in English, it'd be neat to have some sort of cross-promotion with that game, by putting in cameos of that game's characters.

Darkurai said:
Also, I hope Colette doesn't randomly trip a lot anymore.
I really hope she does, and then she lands face-first on a bear-trap and dies a horrible, slow, painful death, alone, in a freezing blizzard. And the whole while she's suffering from her newly-caught tetanus. :bee:

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Howdy guys! Got some new videos for everyone who wants to seeee~

DotNW Opening
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMuxkpbR0o

Menu Theme
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=w-x_JlmVS7o

Gameplay!!!
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5GPMC6u58

More gameplay!
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdz2ex_rXCc

DotNW Part 1 *SPOILERS*
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrS-QPXA_w

DotNW Part 2 *SPOILERS*
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMPmd1yLJw

DotNW Part 3 *SPOILERS*
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCKLnyJ9OU

DotNW Part 4 *SPOILERS*
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=cunAKeYnhBo

Sorry, it's a pretty spaced out post. =^___^=

EDIT: BTW, I made a "Tales of" group if anyone would like to join!

http://smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=129

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Okay, opening looked hot, as well as the gameplay, but I didn´t watch the spoiler vids, because I like my RPG´s played without me knowing everything beforehand. I really hope that they keep voiceacting in the skit conversations in the European release, it´s really annoying that Symphinia´s skits don´t have it. I also hope that this is released in Europe with amore haste than Brawl, otherwise it´s going to suck if I have to wait many months for this game.

Edit: Joined the "Tales of smashboards" BTW

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I've only played ToS in the Tales series, and that was like 3 years ago or whatever, but I really liked it-it was probably the first RPG I've spent over 100 hours on.

Anyways, I have a box and a Wii, so I'll probably buy Vesperia or this- which would you reccomend? Which do you think will be a more quality purchase?

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I've only played ToS in the Tales series, and that was like 3 years ago or whatever, but I really liked it-it was probably the first RPG I've spent over 100 hours on.

Anyways, I have a box and a Wii, so I'll probably buy Vesperia or this- which would you reccomend? Which do you think will be a more quality purchase?
I'm really looking forward to both to be quite honest, but because DotNW is a sort of continuation of the story of ToS I'd rather see how the story develops and what has taken place after two years.

I pity those who think Symphonia is the best Tales.

What would you say is the best Tales then? Certainly not Abyss...

Icon_of_Sin

Smash Apprentice
There seems to be no cool characters in this game. I can only hope Presea returns as a playable character. (she's the best) Seriously, what's with a tube top wearing man for a main character? I know that guy can't save the world.

Other than that, as long as they fix the AI and the co-op camera I will be happy.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mr. GAW said:
Personally, I say Dawn of the New World, but only because I really don't like the character designs for Vesperia. If that doesn't bother you, then Vesperia's probably the way to go, assuming you have to buy either one or the other, not both.

Cat Fight said:
Alright, I know I'm not the one being asked, but I think Rebirth's the best one so far. I also sympathize with KosukeKGA--Symphonia was good, but it's not the best in the franchise.

And Abyss is better than Symphonia.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Alright guys, the game is out in JPN and I saw some gameplay videos and know the basic structure of the game. Don't act like you'll be blown away. :/

What saddens me the most is that there is no cameo fight and there are less scenes and sidequests than the first ToS. It's really a little shorter too.

Still, it is worth picking up coming the next few months.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Alright guys, the game is out in JPN and I saw some gameplay videos and know the basic structure of the game. Don't act like you'll be blown away. :/

What saddens me the most is that there is no cameo fight and there are less scenes and sidequests than the first ToS. It's really a little shorter too.

This is about what I expected. The first tip-off was the abandonment of the Overworld...and then, it is the first titular sequel in the series...

But still, no cameos? That makes Mendez a sad panda...

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings

Meh, I'll wait and see for myself. I'm not gonna watch the spoilers or anything.

Teeeemptedddd. :"|

PKNessEB

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to this & not looking at the ending clips till I get there in-game.
:urg:Starting to sound like a rental now.Hope it does gets fix for the NA release too.
I liked Abyss more then the other games,so Abyss FTW!!

Abyss,Symphonia, & since I have not played Destiny Remake/ Rebirth, Legendia.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Actually, knowing more about this game, there are quite a few letdowns.

-Sheena can't summon
-Old cast only levels up through the story and they can't equip anything
-On-screen (not battle) character limited to Emil or Marta
-Old cast can't be in the first slot, thus you need to have one of your party members be Emil or Marta. You also can't start a battle as an old character. You have to start as Emil or Marta and then switch to one of the old characters.
-Old cast can't participate in the single colliseum battle
-Old cast has set titles, so even if costumes existed, you can't switch between them
-At the end, old cast level is capped at 50
-Monsters become obsolete toward the end
-Essentially, Emil and Marta are your only new two permanent party members.

And yeah, if you had to ask me, the best Tales games IMO are Destiny Remake, Rebirth, and Abyss.

WTF!

Smash Cadet
even if i dont know japanese i have to admit
the ending is kinda disapointing/boring :(

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace

-Sheena can't summon
-Old cast can't be in the first slot, thus you need to have one of your party members be Emil or Marta. You also can't start a battle as an old character. You have to start as Emil or Marta and then switch to one of the old characters.
-Old cast has set titles, so even if costumes existed, you can't switch between them

And yeah, if you had to ask me, the best Tales games IMO are Destiny Remake, Rebirth, and Abyss.

Hopefully they'll fix that for the NA version *prays* :)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

-Sheena can't summon

Okay...

-The summons weren't that useful anyways.
-Gasp. They had their own game to level up in.
-...This is an issue?
-Okay, that does kind of suck. Not deal-breaking, but still...ugh.
-Nyeh, a minor gripe.
-That's just stupid.
-Wait, what exactly do you mean by "at the end"?
-How so?
-Well, I've played RPGs like that before, though that doesn't make it easier to swallow...:urg:

As an aside, is there anything different about Destiny Remake besides the graphics? Is it worth playing if I've already played the game on PS1?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure most Tales games have that stuff and it's very disappointing to see that stuff taken out. Don't they think casuals can handle a few extra characters? So basically this is Tales of Emil and Marta.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
This is depressing to read, but I'm not gonna let it get to me until I have the game in my hands. :"|

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I'm really looking forward to both to be quite honest, but because DotNW is a sort of continuation of the story of ToS I'd rather see how the story develops and what has taken place after two years.

id say the original Phantasia,but thats just me

-Sheena can't summon

thats quite a bit of restrictions,i had a feeling the monsters would become usless later on

http://youtube.com/user/FrankyDThanatos has about 60 parts of the game(no ending tho)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
emil's voice suck,Vic Mignogna ANYONE BUT JOHNNY YONG BOSCH totally shoulda did his voice...
Fix'd.

I've just about had it up to here with this guy getting so many lead roles all all at once. Lelouch, Nero, Ichigo, Renton, Itsuki, and even ol' Cress Albane. Talk about oversaturation...and with such a unique voice, it's just...too noticeable for me.

And he sounds completely different in and out of battle. It's very, very weird. VA gripe number 2: Scott Menville didn't come back for DotnW to do Lloyd. ARGH CONTINUTIY

Top Bottom