• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Viroxor

Smash Ace
It makes a little bit of sense to not have Robin reprise the Lloyd role. After all, Lloyd's been going on his great journey for several years since the defeat of Mithos, right? His voice would undoubtedly have changed at least a little bit in that time. But I really hope Zelos, Sheena, and Yuan's voices are the same.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
It makes a little bit of sense to not have Robin reprise the Lloyd role. After all, Lloyd's been going on his great journey for several years since the defeat of Mithos, right? His voice would undoubtedly have changed at least a little bit in that time. But I really hope Zelos, Sheena, and Yuan's voices are the same.
Only two years, actually.Also, what do you think of the new voice for Raine(Tara Platt)? @Chief Mendez:There's a reason why Emil sounds different inside and out of battle.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I would've like something among those lines, but I don't think this game will terrible or anything. Some aspects I don't really favor...at all. But it looks to be a solid game still.

Changing Raine's voice was the worst decision they ever made, though. Kari Wahlgren is amazing; she was the perfect person for the crazy Professor. The new VA isn't terrible, but...:ohwell:

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I would've like something among those lines, but I don't think this game will terrible or anything. Some aspects I don't really favor...at all. But it looks to be a solid game still.

Changing Raine's voice was the worst decision they ever made, though. Kari Wahlgren is amazing; she was the perfect person for the crazy Professor. The new VA isn't terrible, but...:ohwell:
I agree, Kari fit perfectly for Raine. I hope they don't remove ALL the old ones. Also, Richter's english voice actor is the guy who does "next time on Dragon Ball Z". I rofled so hard.=b

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The game was shipped today, so most stores should be getting them tomorrow if they haven't already.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
I just bought this game today and I have to say it's pretty good so far.

I can't say for sure if it's as good as the original Tales of Symphonia, but it's shaping up to be a fine game.

I think Tales of the Abyss will still remain my favorite Tales game though >.>

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Some places don't have the game yet. Hopefully tomorrow most places will have it in stock.

I just bought this game today and I have to say it's pretty good so far.

I can't say for sure if it's as good as the original Tales of Symphonia, but it's shaping up to be a fine game.

I think Tales of the Abyss will still remain my favorite Tales game though >.>
Don't expect it to be good as a traditional Tales game. Remember that it's a spinoff and it's not made by Team Symphonia or "Team Destiny".

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I hated IGN's review of this game. I like Daemon Hatfield, but he's not a JRPG fan and this game is just about as big of a JRPG as they come.

*rips nonexistent hair out*

Argh! Seriously, that would be like sending myself to review an FPS. The entire contents of my review--like his--would be "Haven't I done this before?"

*sigh* Anyway, I'm totally picking this one up, but I probably won't do so until after Basic Training. It wouldn't make much sense to start it beforehand. 10 1/2 weeks from now, however....OH MAN.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
IGN is full of fail. I saw their top 100 games [chosen by the community] and it was awful. At least 5 sports games were on it, I think OoT was number 1 [AGAIN! Take off the nostalgia goggles please!].

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IGN is really biased. It's hard to take their reviews and opinions quite seriously anymore. Or maybe it's just that they don't like games with a small fan base.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
@ Minato- Well I'm not going to fully judge the game until I beat it and see how good it is for myself. But yes you're correct, people shouldn't expect it to be groundbreaking or amazing; mainly because it isn't made by the same team and it's considered a spin-off rather than a mothership title (like you said).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@ Minato- Well I'm not going to fully judge the game until I beat it and see how good it is for myself.
That's good. I'm just hoping that people won't hate on the game because it's not as good as Symphonia or anything like that.

I'm still waiting to get a copy of this game. None of my store have it in stock yet sadly.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I thought the only reason to play the ToS series is for the character development? It's the only reason why I play them. And as far as video games go, Namco does a fine job in this department. ToS:DotNW is looking to be an amazing game from this stand-point. Just wish the player was given more options when it comes down to character development. Like in the first installment.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I thought the only reason to play the ToS series is for the character development? It's the only reason why I play them. And as far as video games go, Namco does a fine job in this department. ToS:DotNW is looking to be an amazing game from this stand-point. Just wish the player was given more options when it comes down to character development. Like in the first installment.
thats the only thing about DoTN i dont like,aside from that its a pretty dam good game

theres supposed to be an actual sequel in the making,idk if thats true but i cant wait for.

rinoH

Smash Lord
To me Ign is stillok but think about it they have to review maybe over 200 JRPGs(not really) a year so im prtty sure they hate em now and only the great ones they wil love and cherish

derek.haines

Smash Ace
To me Ign is stillok but think about it they have to review maybe over 200 JRPGs(not really) a year so im prtty sure they hate em now and only the great ones they wil love and cherish
I like IGN just fine--it's my go-to source for video game info--but putting a person up to review a game who simply doesn't seem to enjoy or understand that type of game is maddening. It's great to get a fresh perspective, but I think that a certain amount of knowledge should be a requirement for a critic to maintain in the subject they're critiquing.

Take it like this: I know nothing about cars. It would make almost no sense whatsoever to have me review one, then, because my review would read something like the review of this game did: "It's a car. It drives. I can't see anything special about this." Because I lack the proper knowledge of the ins and outs of a car, I would have a world of trouble distinguishing the features that set that car apart, good or bad, from every other car on the planet. This seems to be the case in more than a few JRPG reviews from major game websites, IGN in particular.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
So is anyone playing this game?? Any thoughts?? i Know the ign gave it 6.7 in its biased review, has anyone played the game who can say otherwise??

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
If I were to review it I'd give it a 7/10 or a 7.5/10.

7 FYI in my opinion means it's a solid purchase, but it has it's problems.

If you like Tales of Games you'll like this.
However, this is a spin off/sequel to Tos1.
I do not feel like it does Tos1 justice, which is really my main issue.
The issue is that....well it pisses all over my nostalgia.
Theres nostalgia here....but like the real things you care about aren't.
Everyone makes an appearance, but like...what the hell.
You can't level up Tos1 characters, which is fine.
But Tos1 characters dont even have all their Tech's.
Your saying "well that would be broken!"
Start Tos1 with all your Techs (using the grade shop)...it's not broken.
I mean...Collete doesn't have Judgement until like Chapter 5....thats Bull because that was a mandatory skill she had to learn last game.
Those little things ticked me off.
Even if they had started off as level 1 I wouldn't of cared (as many games sequels don't have previous characters atl ike level 99 or something)....as long as they had atleast...level 45 techs T_T.
Theres also the issue with some of the fight scenes.

You see lloyd fight a guy named Decus.....Lloyd doesn't curb stomp him immedeitly......sure it takes 4 of you guys to take on Decus...but...Zelos was with you...so seriously...it should've been curb stompage.
Your like OMFG you just spoiler'd something for me.....trust me...no I didn't. Spoiling would've been saying the cirmcumstances that are going on in regards to that crap =P.

There also should've been more talk of what happened in Tos1 for us nostalgic dudes to savior on.
Also...either A) they were trying to make the characters sound older B) they're too poor to afford the Old VA's or C) all of the above.
Not all of the VA's sound bad, Regal, Genis, Raine, Collete...good.
Sheena? Lloyd? T_T.
They also **** all over Lloyd's personality (though im not finished the game yet)....even after a climactic moment comse....it's so UNlloyd.
I don't care what his reasons are (though someones spoiled it for me on Gamefaqs)......thats not lloyd like at all T_T.

Other than that, the monster system is suprisingly kick ***, I wish we could've played as our monsters....because well....being Fafnir and Fenrir is just...sick.
One of your monsters can even Evolve into a SWORD DANCER! (the Dullahan line)...which is ridiculously awesome.
If you played ToTA, remember how normalish, yet annoying as hell Luke was at the beginning?
Thats Emil...but more annoying, with far less testosterone.
Yet he suffers like...the same issues as Luke later on....except you know.....he doesn't blow up a ______ like Luke did >.>

Top Bottom