• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So i just passes the point where you see That chick who looks like Espella

...Yeah she definitely just looks like a More cartoony Espella alright.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Here's some Ace Attorney content I made for Smash:
I feel like some of the songs from the early games should be given a similar treatment to the Megaman songs.
Medleys representing each of the trilogy titles, like How the Classico Megaman games had medleys, because of How short the Song loops are.

And the Steel samurái theme should totally be remixed to sound like a tokusatsu opening theme, similar to How the Ace attorney pachinko machine remixed it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I spent the last month playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and I'm finally done. GAA2 is an incredibly brilliant game and it may just be my favorite Ace Attorney game in the series, that final case was certainly a wild and exciting rollercoaster ride.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I spent the last month playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and I'm finally done. GAA2 is an incredibly brilliant game and it may just be my favorite Ace Attorney game in the series, that final case was certainly a wild and exciting rollercoaster ride.
I finished GAA2 last night, and I’m pretty much in total agreement. I’m so glad I went into the duology almost entirely blind — working through each of the mysteries was a joy.

I still can’t get over how my two most anticipated releases this year (GAA Chronicles and NEO TWEWY) released on the same day, and both were all that I had hoped for.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's been an amazing year for never-evers for me. The Great Ace Attorney and No More Heroes 3 released within a month of each other and both are even better than I was expecting (and that's no small feat). It's one heck of a year for games, and that's not even counting things like Yakuza Like A Dragon that I played at the start of the year but was released in December.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Finished case 3 of game 2

ah nothing like grave robbing to put you in mind of Scotland’s most famous murders

but man that scene post trial the reveal of the professor, which of course explains why the hound of the Baskervilles had to be buried. I’m looking forward to what happens next

amageish

Smash Master
Well, I've now completed TGAA Adventures.

The narrative was very good! It definitely feels like the first half of a larger story, but the way Ryunosuke and Susato developed their own sense of justice and conquered their internal doubts was great. I also do like how many moments Lord van Zieks had of just ignoring the witnesses and not objecting to Ryunosuke's requests because he seems to have at least some genuine interest in finding the truth (even if that makes him later calling us traitors for defending McGilded and later acknowledging his guilt kind of obviously hypocritical). Herlock is a fan psuedo-adaptation/psuedo-parody of the great detective and Iris was fun to have around as well. I also like Lestraude and am ready to see her probably-incoming redemption arc, as I imagine she will be going by Inspector Lestraude by the end of the duology... because... you know... her name is Lestraude and her epilogue-y thing had her discussing interest in investigative work.

Mechanically, this is still the most fun I've ever had playing an AA game and I don't entirely know... why. It just was very fun and clicked with me exceptionally well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
these games are sparking a desire in me to see some more AA spin offs like one about mia training nick or maybe some others set in other countries perhaps with theyre own spins on other famous fictional characters.

one a different note
WHOA! sholmes has turned into ronald macdonald

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
these games are sparking a desire in me to see some more AA spin offs like one about mia training nick or maybe some others set in other countries perhaps with theyre own spins on other famous fictional characters.

one a different note
WHOA! sholmes has turned into ronald macdonald
Maybe we could get another prequel story set somewhere in the 20th century?
That would be interesting.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Nintendo Direct on September 8th: Ace Attorney 7 announcement + Objection!! Phoenix Wright revealed for Smash in a teaser trailer at the very end of the presentation

Mr. Sakurai Presents on October 7th: Phoenix release date announcement – he'll be available on October 12th (the 20th anniversary of Ace Attorney)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Weird question but does anyone have capcom’s address? I’d like to pay they a visit

with a nail bat with the message “shove your offensive accents down your throats” written on the side

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Weird question but does anyone have capcom’s address? I’d like to pay they a visit

with a nail bat with the message “shove your offensive accents down your throats” written on the side
You talking about the french boy or the italian boy?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
im talking about the Scot dressed as a New York gangster
That is...an actual dialect....like Scots is actually recognized as an indigenous language of Scotland, it's clear that's what they were going for. Like The Broons or what-have-you. Once again, considering the localization and dubbing team this time was made up of people trying to accurately if a bit exaggeratedly make accurate and varied accents to represent the different dialects in the place and time the game took place in...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is...an actual dialect....like Scots is actually recognized as an indigenous language of Scotland, it's clear that's what they were going for. Like The Broons or what-have-you. Once again, considering the localization and dubbing team this time was made up of people trying to accurately if a bit exaggeratedly make accurate and varied accents to represent the different dialects in the place and time the game took place in...
it is not. The dialect is inconsistent, disappears in the middle and gets mixed up with other stereotypes. And trust me I lived my hole life in hearing that dialect so how I know how it should sound. Also it’s nothing like in the broons

and it’s hardly representative of the broad range of dialects when you use one per region and with one character and everybody else talks the same. Especially when the dialects they go for are also the stereotype

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
it is not. The dialect is inconsistent, disappears in the middle and gets mixed up with other stereotypes. And trust me I lived my hole life in hearing that dialect so how I know how it should sound. Also it’s nothing like in the broons

and it’s hardly representative of the broad range of dialects when you use one per region and with one character and everybody else talks the same. Especially when the dialects they go for are also the stereotype
Ok, that's fair. I think a lot of it can be chalked up to attempting to replicate the energy and idea behind the various accents the characters are encountering rather than a 1:1 representation but I understand where you're coming from.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok, that's fair. I think a lot of it can be chalked up to attempting to replicate the energy and idea behind the various accents the characters are encountering rather than a 1:1 representation but I understand where you're coming from.
thank you

amageish

Smash Master
I'd be down for that, honestly... I'm definitely enjoying their take on historical fiction more then modern fiction, in spite of the original AA games also being some of my favourite games of all time...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd be down for that, honestly... I'm definitely enjoying their take on historical fiction more then modern fiction, in spite of the original AA games also being some of my favourite games of all time...
I think there's a real spark here, a sort of playfulness and freshness that comes from them having to make something that's both rooted in reality from a social perspective and historical perspective while also marrying the fictionalized and idealized world of AA. Combining it with real figures such as Soseki (and referencing his time as a literature scholar) and providing twists on classic characters with Sholmes it's made for a fascinating and extremely engaging duology.

I would love to see (post-game TGAA2 stuff) Sholmes visit Ryunosuke in Japan and take on Arsene Lupin, giving us our own version of Arsene Lupin vs. Sherlock Holmes!. It could also be interesting to go to America - perhaps incorporating tall tales such as Paul Bunyan or Johnny Appleseed, or even authors like Mark Twain. Though I think that would definitely take a delicate hand to say the least.

Either way this is a great, fascinating duology that is sparking with joy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
part of me wants to see one set in paris where we have to defend quasimodo of the phantom of the opera. or more likely muasiqodo and the schmantom of the opera

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh man, a case set in the opera house where you have to expose Erik would be amazing, especially if they took their cues from the original novel. A Paris case would be great, and it'd be another fun way to follow this game up if they wanted to keep Ryunosuke and Susato as the protagonists. Plus, Paris means more chances of Arsene Lupin.

amageish

Smash Master
part of me wants to see one set in paris where we have to defend quasimodo of the phantom of the opera. or more likely muasiqodo and the schmantom of the opera
I would be into that. And, honestly, even if they are working with truly-public-domain IPs like The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the Phantom of the Opera, I wouldn't object to them continuing the Herlock Sholmes naming convention. It fits the absurdist world, as it is somewhere between Sherlock adaptation and Sherlock parody already...

Oh man, a case set in the opera house where you have to expose Erik would be amazing, especially if they took their cues from the original novel. A Paris case would be great, and it'd be another fun way to follow this game up if they wanted to keep Ryunosuke and Susato as the protagonists. Plus, Paris means more chances of Arsene Lupin.
Getting Lupin in would be fantastic for sure! Would be very fun and Paris is a logical-enough next step for Rynosuke and Susato (I think; I haven't finished game 2).

I think your America idea is good too, but would definitely require a very very very careful hand given the numerous social issues inherit in depicting that era of American history.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well those books were the first use of herlock sholmes and wilson were they not? would be very apt

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Imagine we get a game set in América, and Ryunosuke Meets a dude with the surname "Wright" It all comes together.

Now i just want More stories set in the past, but at the same Time... I really dont want them to overuse it like they did With the trilogíes cast in the sequel trilogy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Imagine we get a game set in América, and Ryunosuke Meets a dude with the surname "Wright" It all comes together.

Now i just want More stories set in the past, but at the same Time... I really dont want them to overuse it like they did With the trilogíes cast in the sequel trilogy.
well so long as they keep fine new spins of the format it wont be so bad. they wouldnt need to be about ryu and co surely?

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Here's a fun question for you all, on the chance he gets into Smash what should he wear for his alts?
Assuming he can't have an echo and assuming he's got an assistant as part of his moveset, my ideal alts would be:

Trilogy Wright + Maya
College Wright + Mia
Hobo Wright + Ema (i guess)
Regular Apollo + Trucy
Edgy Apollo + Athena
Trilogy Edgeworth + Gumshoe
Young Edgeworth + Von Karma (come on, I know you'd pick Beige Gumshoe or Franziska but come on that would be funny asf)
Ryunosuke + Susato

Of course this relies on the assistant's animations being basic and not that much involved in the moveset (maybe just taunts and stuff) so the models easy to replace
And yeah, some of the animations would maybe look a bit out of character for Apollo and Edgeworth but 1) alts can have different animations, 2) it's worth having them playable too, I'd rather that than just their costumes

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm on the later portion of the final case.
I'm kinda getting goosebumps over Ryu doing the same cocky pose That Phoenix does, smile and all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I see what you mean by espella look alike, the basket make me think of the flower girl from the first witch trial

im guessing kazuma thinks van Zieks shot his father

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What is your favorite animation in The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles so far?

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Sesame Street's Cookie Monster.
For whatever reason, this animation always makes me laugh.
It has to be this for me
Damage_sherlock.gif

And one of a later character who I cant say because its a Late late late case he is in
You talking about the french boy or the italian boy?
God, I love the French boy so much

Last edited:
Top Bottom