• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Considering the entire localization and dubbing team is from the UK outside of Janet herself and the most she did was tone down a few of the stronger cultural things to make it more internationally accessible I think they did just fine especially when the character is clearly meant to evoke Dickensian literature.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering the entire localization and dubbing team is from the UK outside of Janet herself and the most she did was tone down a few of the stronger cultural things to make it more internationally accessible I think they did just fine especially when the character is clearly meant to evoke Dickensian literature.
which is ironic considering it’s based on Doyle literature

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Just finished GAA1, and I really enjoyed it! It's so great to be playing a new Ace Attorney game again (well, new for me)
GAA1 reminds me of Trails in the Sky FC in a lot of ways. It has solid cases on its own with generally more self-contained stakes up until case 5, but it also sets up a lot of plot threads that seem important for the next game. The reveal of Kazuma's name in the Morse code was definitely the big stinger to keep you enticed for the sequel-- the equivalent to (Sky FC spoiler) Joshua's "Goodbye, Estelle". In that way, I think GAA1 benefits from being released as part of a two-game pack, rather than by itself.

For me, the game picked up starting in chapter 3. Chapter 1 does a good job making you care about Kazuma, and it was fun seeing Herlock running around causing havoc in chapter 2, but the progression of Ryunosuke getting his trust broken by McGilded, learning to trust again for Natsume, and then teaching Gina to trust others was really nice, and around chapter 3 was where I started to get especially hooked.

I'm also impressed by how many likeable witnesses & jurors there were. The recurring characters were fantastic, and even the one-off witnesses & jurors had a lot of charm (shout-out to the Skulkin brothers).
I have a lot of other thoughts swirling around in my head about GAA1, and I want to start GAA2 right away. But, it's already past midnight where I am, so I need to sleep lol

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know. Next Time Capcom ports the Phoenix Wright trilogy to something, they really oughta edit That one line where Phoenix thinks "Sherlock Holmes the second, right here baby!"

You know considering we know now That Sherlock, or rather Herlock Is a real historical figure in this universe. So i feel the like should be changed to reflect the name change lol

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I would prefeer If they didn't do that. It would play in the hands of the Doyle estate.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
of protecting their copyright?
They don't really have any copyright. It's expired apart from the last few books. They tend to sue if Sherlock has any character development as "He became more compassionate over the last couple books". It's utter nonsense, but they're so rich that most companies will just settle rather than try and take them on in court.
Capcom would probably win, but I doubt the sales of GAA would cover the legal costs so they changed his name to avoid being sued. It's why a lot of other characters names have avoided being changed, it's only really Sherlock and Watson that the Estate tends to sue over.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They don't really have any copyright. It's expired apart from the last few books. They tend to sue if Sherlock has any character development as "He became more compassionate over the last couple books". It's utter nonsense, but they're so rich that most companies will just settle rather than try and take them on in court.
Capcom would probably win, but I doubt the sales of GAA would cover the legal costs so they changed his name to avoid being sued. It's why a lot of other characters names have avoided being changed, it's only really Sherlock and Watson that the Estate tends to sue over.
sounds to me like they still own it

actually how many regions is this true for?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Now I'm starting the second half.

I'm confused as to why Reí Is on the boxart. From what i remember of this game she doesn't show up again after the First case, right?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Objection 2017 is one of the best Objection themes and yet...
It's only played in on case in the whole saga.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
halfway through firs part of second game

im starting to feel bad for constantly humiliating the payne clan

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
now done

boy that journalist was nearly as smarmy as the Robert Downey jr lookalike in SoJ

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we get Ace Attorney content in smash i want the crédits música from GAA1 in there as one of the songs.

It's a nice Little rendición of Objeción 2015.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd say with the upcoming NMH3 event GAA is not getting a spirit event at this rate, right?
You never know, some events have happened way down the line. It's also worth noting that NMH is a major exclusive, whereas TGAA was on PC and PS4 even if pretty much everyone I know is playing it on Switch. I'm hoping we get some AA representation by the end of Ultimate's cycle.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You never know, some events have happened way down the line. It's also worth noting that NMH is a major exclusive, whereas TGAA was on PC and PS4 even if pretty much everyone I know is playing it on Switch. I'm hoping we get some AA representation by the end of Ultimate's cycle.
I dont see why the great ace attorney would get priority over the Phoenix Wright trilogy.
The only way i see that happening is if Sakurai sees Karuma and thinks "Hey, we could use one more anime swordfighter!"

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I dont see why the great ace attorney would get priority over the Phoenix Wright trilogy.
The only way i see that happening is if Sakurai sees Karuma and thinks "Hey, we could use one more anime swordfighter!"
I mean, No More Heroes 3 specifically is getting an event, with Travis, Travis's suit, and Fu, and no other classic NMH characters like Shinobu or Henry or Sylvia. If we would get a TGAA event it'd be for promotional purposes, that's the point.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And now i'm starting case 3.

I've officially made it to the late game chapters of Ryu's journey.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Its kinda funny how the games keep telling you how Zieks is the greatest prosecutor in the London, considering weve beat him so many times at that point.

The other prosecutors are probably like Flynch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Its kinda funny how the games keep telling you how Zieks is the greatest prosecutor in the London, considering weve beat him so many times at that point.
they’ve be doing that since the first game. It’s one of the most over used parts of the rival trope

at least they spiced him up with the whole curse thing

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
they’ve be doing that since the first game. It’s one of the most over used parts of the rival trope

at least they spiced him up with the whole curse thing
Its funnier here since it feels like you see him more than most other rivals.

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! I apparently haven't posted in this thread before, somehow? Maybe I had too much brand loyalty to Layton when I first joined SmashBoards, idk...

Anyway, AA is a great franchise that I have some love for every entry in! I have been playing TGAA and have thoughts.

I'm really enjoying the game overall! I went into it knowing it was plausible it would end up being one of my favourite video games of all time and I am yet still pleasantly surprised by a lot of it overall.

The historical setting really helps the world feel a bit more grounded and a bit less one lawyer has the worst luck in the world. It makes sense that the deck would constantly be stacked against Naruhodo because of who he is and what he is trying to do, which I quite like...

I honestly don't know if the Investigation sections are just better in this game then in past ones or if I'm just an older and more patient person then when I first played the original trilogy, but I am enjoying Investigation sections more then I ever have in a mainline (i.e., not AAI or crossover) AA game before! The settings are all fun to interact with, it feels like I always know where to go, and the Dances of Deduction are a great spin on the AA format.

The courtroom systems are all great too. The mechanics returning from the crossover are great to see and I have enjoyed jury trials too. It's all just generally a fun time.

The art is all fantastic and the spritework is great. I'm already enjoying the arcs everyone appears to be going through. It also doesn't feel like we've had a true filler case? Everything feels important, one way or another, which I quite like. The second case also managed to be a good Sherlock parody/psuedo-adaptation without feeling too self-indulgent, which is a careful balance to strike.

The only real drawback is... the courtroom dialogue becomes quite same-y after a while? I'm used to AA games having a lot of colourful rivalries and unique interactions, but I've had two court cases in England and I am already quite tired of seeing the same three stereotypes about Japanese people being invoked every time I do literally anything. I know it's historically accurate and I don't think it is a bad thing - and I certainly don't want to tell Japanese authors how much racism should be in their game about Japanese-British relations during the height of the British Empire - but it does make the courtroom loose some of that energizing feeling that I'm used to from other AA games, where the Procesuection's snide quips make me chuckle slightly but also eagar to fight back. Instead, most of the courtroom dialogue just kind of makes me sad? Like, poor Naruhodo and Susako; they're so bogged down by racism that they don't even respond to most of the remarks, even in their internal monologues. Again, I don't think this is neccessarily bad, as not every game should be energizing like a normal AA game is, but it definitely hits different then previous rival character interactions.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hello! I apparently haven't posted in this thread before, somehow? Maybe I had too much brand loyalty to Layton when I first joined SmashBoards, idk...

Anyway, AA is a great franchise that I have some love for every entry in! I have been playing TGAA and have thoughts.

I'm really enjoying the game overall! I went into it knowing it was plausible it would end up being one of my favourite video games of all time and I am yet still pleasantly surprised by a lot of it overall.

The historical setting really helps the world feel a bit more grounded and a bit less one lawyer has the worst luck in the world. It makes sense that the deck would constantly be stacked against Naruhodo because of who he is and what he is trying to do, which I quite like...

I honestly don't know if the Investigation sections are just better in this game then in past ones or if I'm just an older and more patient person then when I first played the original trilogy, but I am enjoying Investigation sections more then I ever have in a mainline (i.e., not AAI or crossover) AA game before! The settings are all fun to interact with, it feels like I always know where to go, and the Dances of Deduction are a great spin on the AA format.

The courtroom systems are all great too. The mechanics returning from the crossover are great to see and I have enjoyed jury trials too. It's all just generally a fun time.

The art is all fantastic and the spritework is great. I'm already enjoying the arcs everyone appears to be going through. It also doesn't feel like we've had a true filler case? Everything feels important, one way or another, which I quite like. The second case also managed to be a good Sherlock parody/psuedo-adaptation without feeling too self-indulgent, which is a careful balance to strike.

The only real drawback is... the courtroom dialogue becomes quite same-y after a while? I'm used to AA games having a lot of colourful rivalries and unique interactions, but I've had two court cases in England and I am already quite tired of seeing the same three stereotypes about Japanese people being invoked every time I do literally anything. I know it's historically accurate and I don't think it is a bad thing - and I certainly don't want to tell Japanese authors how much racism should be in their game about Japanese-British relations during the height of the British Empire - but it does make the courtroom loose some of that energizing feeling that I'm used to from other AA games, where the Procesuection's snide quips make me chuckle slightly but also eagar to fight back. Instead, most of the courtroom dialogue just kind of makes me sad? Like, poor Naruhodo and Susako; they're so bogged down by racism that they don't even respond to most of the remarks, even in their internal monologues. Again, I don't think this is neccessarily bad, as not every game should be energizing like a normal AA game is, but it definitely hits different then previous rival character interactions.
You know, I've been thinking about That investigations thing for a while
I have no idea if the investigations are More fun than usual or if I'm just More patient now That I'm older.

I havent played an Ace attorney game In years So i can't Tell lol

Top Bottom