• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel we're More likely to get an investigations collection before an Apollo collection.
But at the same Time That would requiere them to actually localized investigations 2.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The concept itself of a second trilogy collection seems weird to me because I... simply don't see those games as a trilogy to begin with

They're just individual games each, they don't really have a cohesion tying them together like the normal trilogy does... They are very different from each other in many ways and it doesn't really feel like they "belong" together. AJ is kinda a "soft reboot" of the series, a "trilogy opener", but the next game after that isn't as much of a direct sequel as it is... another soft reboot, and it's not really a "trilogy middlepoint" it's its own completely different thing that might as well be also starting an arc of its own.

Individually (at least imo, forgive me for my garbage tastes...) I think they're all great games, but as a trilogy? I don't even think they were even designed as one. I have a hard time imagining Capcom actually changing all the assets to match a single artstyle, for example. I think they'd just individually port each one like they've been doing until now. What would it even be called? "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy except Wright gets more playable time and only one of those games is actually Apollo's"? "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy 2"? "Ace Attorney of the Future"? "Ace Attorney Beyond"? (please be that one) "Ace Attorney: The games that didn't want to but had to be Phoenix's again Trilogy"?

hell, Layton vs Wright and the two GAA make for a more cohesive trilogy in some ways for me
I imagine the desire for those games being packed together is more for convenience or getting a better bang for your buck content wise. I guess the concept of releasing AJ as a standalone entry and the 3DS games as a duology of their own might look weird to some, but then again, there's definitely a somewhat odd feeling of combining games where you jump from the sprite based presentation to the 3D models used in the latter games, superficial as that is.
Seriously, Case 2 of SOJ is still one of my series' favorites and could've been in AJAA just fine.
it gives a better closure to the Gramarye troop sheanigans than AJ did, imo. Maybe it could have been a 5th episode or something.
Are they though? What kind of "Apollo" trilogy gives Wright more playable time than... well... Apollo?
I guess it's just considered Apollo's trilogy due to the light shed upon the character in AJ and SoJ, DD doesn't really do much of anything for his arc other than telling us he had a close friend during the orphanage days, and even that is so underexplored it barely matters at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
to be fair they retconned nick's story a lot in the first three games
They did, yes. But i think the main difference Is the scope Of their backstories. Like for Phoenix Is was nothing More than "he had a girlfriend in college"
While Apollo's out of nowhere involved a wanted revolutionary, a country That just so happens to despise His Career choice, a brother who's an irredemable, unlikable asshole and ends with him defeating a final fantasy villain in court.

It's just... Man they went overboard with this.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I usuallly like playing the investigations duology between T&T and AJ because I like the chronological order, but I do get that it helps digest the contrast between AJ and DD.

Man Investigations 1 is so underrated (overhated even) I wish we got a duology port so people could give both of those a shot. Chronicles definitely proved that there's hope for previously unlocalized games and Edgeworth is extremely popular and marketable, it would have even more sales potential than Chronicles. I'd just hope they would keep the fan translation names for Prosecutors Path

Also yeah it would be sad Layton vs Wright stayed stuck on the 3ds forever, that needs a port asap

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They did, yes. But i think the main difference Is the scope Of their backstories. Like for Phoenix Is was nothing More than "he had a girlfriend in college"
While Apollo's out of nowhere involved a wanted revolutionary, a country That just so happens to despide His Carrer choice, a brother who's an irredemable, unlikable asshole and ende with him defeating a final fantasy villain in court.

It's just... Man they went overboard with this.
overboard? the answer to half the mysteries are overboard

i do wonder at times if they had planned ahead, what with apollo dressed like dhurke in DD but who knows

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I usuallly like playing the investigations duology between T&T and AJ because I like the chronological order, but I do get that it helps digest the contrast between AJ and DD.

Man Investigations 1 is so underrated (overhated even) I wish we got a duology port so people could give both of those a shot. Chronicles definitely proved that there's hope for previously unlocalized games and Edgeworth is extremely popular and marketable, it would have even more sales potential than Chronicles. I'd just hope they would keep the fan translation names for Prosecutors Path

Also yeah it would be sad Layton vs Wright stayed stuck on the 3ds forever, that needs a port asap
I'm sure if Capcom wanted to port it at some point they'd get it done, weve seen other Capcom crossover games gets ports over the years, and those games are even harder to get the licenses for.

overboard? the answer to half the mysteries are overboard

i do wonder at times if they had planned ahead, what with apollo dressed like dhurke in DD but who knows
I think it's obvious that nothing about the sequel trilogy was planned in advance.
...Why does the Star wars comparison keep coming back to my mind. lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure if Capcom wanted to port it at some point they'd get it done, weve seen other Capcom crossover games gets ports over the years, and those games are even harder to get the licenses for.

I think it's obvious that nothing about the sequel trilogy was planned in advance.
...Why does the Star wars comparison keep coming back to my mind. lol
i can’t answer that without insulting Star Wars on a severe level

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Finished case 3 of GAA1. I'm more confused than when I started.

Edit: my thoughts
When you think about it, the case seems pretty impossible. There's testimony of the victim never entering the bus, but he was there. No one ever witnessed the stabbing of the victim. But he was stabbed. The girl was in the bus, but she wasn't because the storage was full. The case is just one big paradox and McGuilded tampering with the bus doesn't help. Really enjoyed it even though it fricked with my head.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oh the irony of people claiming there are no human sized refrigerators when they live in a country that is a refrigerator

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think im half way through the last part

if this game ends without telling me who iris' father is im gonna be annoyed

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hello everyone. I made a new video and decided I would share it with you all today. Please take a look!

https://youtu.be/I5xLGvUvfwA
Wouldnt it make More Sense for Ryunosuke to be the alternate character for Phoenix?
They share a Lot of the same animations so it would be an Easy reskin job. And you could include More of GAA's godly soundtrack un there to accomodate Ryu.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
aaaaand done

that was the most over the top break down yet

what an ending what a pair of games despite the accents and what an engrossing mystery

KillerCage

Smash Master
I think I just finished Case 4, but I'm not sure.
Does the case end at the conclusion of Investigation Day 2?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think I just finished Case 4, but I'm not sure.
Does the case end at the conclusion of Investigation Day 2?
Yes, that's when case 4 ends, and case 5 continues on the trial for the same case the next day.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Yes, that's when case 4 ends, and case 5 continues on the trial for the same case the next day.
Okay, I was confused how the case just end with the reveal that Professor Mikotoba was Sholmes' partner.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know the people of the AA world really need to do something about all the rampant corruption

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I didn't know that Motohide Eshiro (producer of Dual Destinies, Spirt of Justice and the Miles Edgeworth Investigations games) was once asked whether he thinks Phoenix Wright has a chance for Smash Bros.... Back in 2013 when Smash 4 was announced, he said:

I don't really think that there's a chance that Phoenix could get into Smash Bros.
Source: https://kotaku.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-next-phoenix-wrig-522537081

It won't matter now, since this was 8 years ago, however I still think it's interesting.

amageish

Smash Master
It won't matter now, since this was 8 years ago, however I still think it's interesting.
I'm sure this was in the context of "I don't think Wright is already planned to be in the game that Mega Man was just announced for," but it is a funny response. I always forget how many employees of companies don't know what is coming to Smash and get thrown off when their own place of employment gets content...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Tris over at GameXplain came up with their version of a Wright moveset/pack.

It's an interesting selection. Susato Toss being a counter when using a Naruhodo skin is a very nice touch.
I think I'll add "Any Objections?" to the list of Snash trailer taglines I feel like an idiot for not thinking of sooner.

BTW:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

amageish

Smash Master
What do you think will happen first, a Nintendo Direct or the Tokyo Game Show (starting on September 30th)?
And which of these two is more likely to contain new Ace Attorney news?
Given how Nintendo has had a September Direct every year since, like, 2016? I am expecting some sort of presentation before TGS, even if it is just a Mini Direct updating on known upcoming projects (ex/ Metroid Dread, Advance Wars, etc.) and upcoming updates for released games (ex/ Mario Golf, maybe Animal Crossing is actually getting new content, etc.).

As for AA, if it ends up in Capcom's presentation descriptions, then I expect it at TGS. They don't tend to do shock reveals that weren't at least teased in advance at TGS, so I am not expecting anything if it isn't implied in advance.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
What do you think will happen first, a Nintendo Direct or the Tokyo Game Show (starting on September 30th)?
And which of these two is more likely to contain new Ace Attorney news?
I think it's likely that we will get some sort of Nintendo direct this month, but I don't think there will be any AA news in it. (Or smash bros for that matter)
Im not sure if there will be any AA stuff at TGS. It's not been long since the last release, but it is the 20th anniversary so it is possible that we get an announcement at least. I don't think anything else will release this year but I guess they can start teasting the next game already

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Welp. Finally finished TGAA in its entirety. Here's the obligatory thoughts post!

Yeah, so, that is the best Ace Attorney game.

The final case just reached a new level of complexity for the series, to me at least, in all the best ways. Every single prior case was relevant somehow - there was truly no full-on filler case in these games - and it built on itself wonderfully. Plus, the stakes remained high throughout every trial of the game - it didn't have the feeling of "Some of these characters are too beloved and therefore it is hard to truly be concerned about them dying" that most other entries have. I mean, the final case was you defending the Prosecutor against someone who was formally your Assistant for the murder of the main Police Detective - and, during that trial, you cross-examine a character who was previously a judge and ultimately indict the person sitting as judge over the trial itself. While obviously the good guys wwere going to win in the end, it truly felt like nobody was off-limits for being wrapped up in the conspiracy just because of the role(s) they had in the game itself, which was very nice.

Naruhodo and Susato's journeys were both very well done and their discovery of what justice meant to them was lovely. And, yes, I did cry during the finale... The reunion with Kazuma was not exactly a surprise - the fact we never saw his body outside of the cutscene that opened TGAA 1-2 made me pretty certain he wasn't dead - but it was great to see his growth and his ambitions being revealed.

The other star of the show growth-wise for me was Gina. This game made such a good use of its budget and Gina not just reusing her TGAA1 animations for TGAA2 was wonderful. Like, she now smiles!!! She regularly is smiling and seems to have a much better sense of self and quality of life! Even after Gregson's passing, you still get a feeling that things will be looking up for her.

Herlock and Wilson were excellently handled overall - good balance of comedy and sincerity within the pairing. The reveal of Herlock's true partner wasn't too surprising once I had seen Mikotoba in his British outfit, but the reveal of Iris' true parentage did genuinely surprise me.

The Professor killings were an interesting exploration of inter-generational conflict and how secrecy and deception can result in pain. This game had a very good villain overall and I enjoyed his breakdown throughout the trial.

The music was fantastic as always and TGAA2-3 having several themes for characters only present in that chapter really added to the cinematic feeling that chapter had. It was very nice.

If I had to give some complaints... Rei was fun during TGAA2-1, but she feels like a bit of a slapped-together parallel to Naruhodo and Kazuma's relationship for Susato to have, especially with how they never bring her up again. Beppo also becoming a different person in TGAA2-4 feels quite "Look, we're working on a tight schedule here!" and was a little bit odd to see, especially with how Sandwich and Beppo had different gimmicks. I also last time commented on how I found it odd that Naruhodo rarely reacted to the racism from jurors and random bystanders directly, but he did do that in TGAA2, which just makes them not having him react to it during TGAA1-3/4/5 all the more odd. But overall, still an excellent game and a wonderful time all aound.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I also last time commented on how I found it odd that Naruhodo rarely reacted to the racism from jurors and random bystanders directly, but he did do that in TGAA2, which just makes them not having him react to it during TGAA1-3/4/5 all the more odd
Oh I think that can be somewhat reasonably explained
I have 2 ideas to why this is the case, 1: When he first went to England he didn't really know what to expect and wasn't quite sure how to take it, this happened to the real Soseki Natsume too, he was told he was handsome for a [anti Japanese slur] and was unsure how to feel about it. The other is Ryunosuke having enough and choosing to stand up for himself more in that regard

Top Bottom