• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What is your favorite animation in The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles so far?

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Sesame Street's Cookie Monster.
For whatever reason, this animation always makes me laugh.
ezgif-3-f3ecdbcde9f6.gif

I'm a big fan of this one, personally. All of Drebber's animations are great, honestly.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have absolutely no idea if i miss the anime cutscenes in the second game or not.
Honestly, I don't. I think they were neat in the first game, but the new cutscene method made for more dynamic and interesting ones and allowed the character models to do some really cool stuff. I think they flow better, even if stuff like the anime cutscenes in the fifth case of the first game were great.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And now i have finished Chronicles as a whole. I clocked in approximately 120 hours on this collection. Making it one of my most played Switch games. And no doubt That Will stays as such, this ended up being one of the best stories in Ace attorney history.

Though I'll probably have to do a second run of the game sometime in the near future to properly hold my opinión of this game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

amageish

Smash Master
Capcom is confirmed for TGS. Ace Attorney has to be here right? Right?
Well, uh, we'll see I guess! I mean, we've been predicting this for years, but I guess there's more evidence that it is going to happen soon, given that the Capcom leak said it was originally planned (i.e., pre-pandemic) for a Q4 2021 release...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Geez capcom just call it a direct

say Flyboy Flyboy that thing you said about UK people working on the game for the accents do you know if that’s true for the Japanese version?

cause it’s a bit of a coincidence that those two cockneys were holding an apple and a pear if not

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

say Flyboy Flyboy that thing you said about UK people working on the game for the accents do you know if that’s true for the Japanese version?

cause it’s a bit of a coincidence that those two cockneys were holding an apple and a pear if not
Ringo and Nash? What about them?

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'm not really sure, though I do know that Janet Hsu apparently worked closely with Shu Takumi during the development of this game this time around and the team did some extensive research in general. Once you've completed the games there are some pretty interesting dev blogs up on the site talking about how they approached it all culturally.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Capcom is confirmed for TGS. Ace Attorney has to be here right? Right?
It's possible, but unlikely. Im not counting on it, personally, after AA somehow got the main spotlight on E3 of all things, I'm not really expecting... anything, kinda... I mean it feels a bit soon for either a new AA game or the next smash character (because sakurai did say it would be a long while till the next one)

But it's possible

They could technically announce "AA7: The Adventure of the three-year-old Harvard graduate prodigy" or something for next year.... But it would have to be late next year, otherwise I do think the releases would be a bit too close to each other

Also, it's curious how it's already been over a month since the release of Chronicles and we've had no spirit event about it (yet), maybe they're just taking a long time to acknowledge it for some reason, maybe there's not gonna be any sort of AA content at all in the game (which would be weird but still technically possible), or maybe that's because they know AA is getting something else they can drop spirits with? And that could either be a new game release... or a playable character... (or both). Best case scenario, we're getting a new game or remaster or something announced there, and then Phoenix in Smash at a later date like the game awards. September feels way too soon for the next character given what sakurai said

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Not gonna lie, every week I'm scared that an Ace Attorney spirit event might pop up, luckily it never happened (this week there is a stamina event tourney, last week there were No More Heroes 3 spirits). Yes I think it's a bit suspicious as well that there is still no AA spirit event. I still think it's possible that Phoenix Wright could be revealed at the next Nintendo Direct sometime this month - maybe it's just a small trailer and the character release is either next month (20th AA anniversary) or even later.

Regarding Ace Attorney 7, let's look back at 2015: The Great Ace Attorney (3DS) was released July 2015 in Japan and Ace Attorney 6 was announced just two months later in September 2015. It's exactly the same situation as this year, it's entirely possible that AA7 will also be revealed this month (either in a Nintendo Direct or at TGA) and will release next year. Oh and 2016 was also similar: Spirit of Justice released June 2016 in Japan and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve was revealed in September 2016.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
It's possible, but unlikely. Im not counting on it, personally, after AA somehow got the main spotlight on E3 of all things, I'm not really expecting... anything, kinda... I mean it feels a bit soon for either a new AA game or the next smash character (because sakurai did say it would be a long while till the next one)

But it's possible

They could technically announce "AA7: The Adventure of the three-year-old Harvard graduate prodigy" or something for next year.... But it would have to be late next year, otherwise I do think the releases would be a bit too close to each other

Also, it's curious how it's already been over a month since the release of Chronicles and we've had no spirit event about it (yet), maybe they're just taking a long time to acknowledge it for some reason, maybe there's not gonna be any sort of AA content at all in the game (which would be weird but still technically possible), or maybe that's because they know AA is getting something else they can drop spirits with? And that could either be a new game release... or a playable character... (or both). Best case scenario, we're getting a new game or remaster or something announced there, and then Phoenix in Smash at a later date like the game awards. September feels way too soon for the next character given what sakurai said
Not only did we not get a spirit event yet, SMTV NMH3 got an event first.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

But it's possible

Alternatively it could just be that the Smash team is aware of how bizzare it would be for Ace Attorney's smash debut to NOT have Phoenix so no spirit event?

amageish

Smash Master
Why would ace attorney be there? We already have TGAA and I feel that would be their biggest AA news
I mean, if we trust the Capcom ransomware leak (which we should at this point, given how its pretty much known to be true), then at one point both TGAA and AA7 were scheduled for this year (with TGAA being planned to release back in Q1). Not saying that is still true given the pandemic screwing up basically every game developer's release schedule, but a teaser trailer coming out while AA is still in minds seem possible to me.

Not only did we not get a spirit event yet, SMTV got an event first.
Uh. No it didn't? SMTV isn't even out until November...

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Anyone think the true grit tourney plays into the next character reveal? as in Phoenix Wright?

I am not familiar with this series. i just hope the Mario Rapper leak is true.

amageish

Smash Master
"Ryutaro"'s Objection theme is sooooooooo good. It is a perfect blend of the usual Objection melodies with Susato's theme and I loooooooooove it.

Also the case is very good and they generally are really going all-out with ensuring every moment of this game is somehow plot-relevant, huh?

Also the amount of Rei/Susato shipteasing surprised me. Not that I'm surprised AA is doing shipteasing, but Rei just... straight-up asked "Ryutaro" out (well, told Susato that "Ryutaro" should ask her out, but Susato replied as if she was just asked out). That was more explicit than I would have predicted.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"Ryutaro"'s Objection theme is sooooooooo good. It is a perfect blend of the usual Objection melodies with Susato's theme and I loooooooooove it.

Also the case is very good and they generally are really going all-out with ensuring every moment of this game is somehow plot-relevant, huh?

Also the amount of Rei/Susato shipteasing surprised me. Not that I'm surprised AA is doing shipteasing, but Rei just... straight-up asked "Ryutaro" out (well, told Susato that "Ryutaro" should ask her out, but Susato replied as if she was just asked out). That was more explicit than I would have predicted.
isnt that a pretty common thing in japanese pop culture? every time someone cross dresses everyone falls in love with them

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
only one part left to go

man dr gorey is creeeeeepy. and now susato's father is wattson? which explains his outfit. good to know the game can still be surprising even amongst the stuff i predicted

Flyboy

Smash Hero
only one part left to go

man dr gorey is creeeeeepy. and now susato's father is wattson? which explains his outfit. good to know the game can still be surprising even amongst the stuff i predicted
I agree; I thought that was such a cool twist and it was funny how as soon as they mentioned it I realized that his outfit is just like the classic Watson garb. They've even been hinting that he's a doctor all game with his degree in forensic medicine. The final chapter is great - enjoy!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can you be a bit more specific about that?
I mean, in what way? Apollo Justice replaced most of the cast and what little we kept, Nick, felt radically different from the one people saw grow across the trilogy, people were worried about what the series would end up as, especially as AJ has a different tone due to the common link between defendants and the extra emphasis on how bull**** the court system is which fun fact, was a very relevant politic topic of the time of release in Japan

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I mean, in what way? Apollo Justice replaced most of the cast and what little we kept, Nick, felt radically different from the one people saw grow across the trilogy, people were worried about what the series would end up as, especially as AJ has a different tone due to the common link between defendants and the extra emphasis on how bull**** the court system is which fun fact, was a very relevant politic topic of the time of release in Japan
Okay, fair enough. Just curious.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I agree; I thought that was such a cool twist and it was funny how as soon as they mentioned it I realized that his outfit is just like the classic Watson garb. They've even been hinting that he's a doctor all game with his degree in forensic medicine. The final chapter is great - enjoy!
I'm going to go into a bit of fan theory territory here:
I couldnt help but notice how his outfit had the exact colors that Phoenix wear as well, blue suit, red tie and white underneath. Considering how Ryu and Susato talk about each other as if it's a lowkey romantic vibe i wonder if it's meant to be intentional.

What I want to know is the sequel trilogy potentially getting a collection as I really love AJ and DD so I want more people to see these games, especially as I'm pretty sure AJ's hate mostly comes from how the future of the series was uncertain at the time
I think it's less that the future was uncertain but rather that people dont like change.

So it scared Capcom away from making any changes to the characters and reverted Phoenix back to his AA1 personality.

Also if i remember the Capcom leak right, they dont have plans on making a trilogy collection for Apollo because 5 and 6 were only released in Japanese and english, so it would cost way too much money for them localize it into other languages. So their waiting to see how well Chronicles sells before investing any money into a second trilogy collection.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
The concept itself of a second trilogy collection seems weird to me because I... simply don't see those games as a trilogy to begin with

They're just individual games each, they don't really have a cohesion tying them together like the normal trilogy does... They are very different from each other in many ways and it doesn't really feel like they "belong" together. AJ is kinda a "soft reboot" of the series, a "trilogy opener", but the next game after that isn't as much of a direct sequel as it is... another soft reboot, and it's not really a "trilogy middlepoint" it's its own completely different thing that might as well be also starting an arc of its own.

Individually (at least imo, forgive me for my garbage tastes...) I think they're all great games, but as a trilogy? I don't even think they were even designed as one. I have a hard time imagining Capcom actually changing all the assets to match a single artstyle, for example. I think they'd just individually port each one like they've been doing until now. What would it even be called? "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy except Wright gets more playable time and only one of those games is actually Apollo's"? "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy 2"? "Ace Attorney of the Future"? "Ace Attorney Beyond"? (please be that one) "Ace Attorney: The games that didn't want to but had to be Phoenix's again Trilogy"?

hell, Layton vs Wright and the two GAA make for a more cohesive trilogy in some ways for me

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
hell, Layton vs Wright and the two GAA make for a more cohesive trilogy in some ways for me
Man i really wish Level 5 and Capcom could work something out to port this game to HD.
I would love to play it on the switch.

The concept itself of a second trilogy collection seems weird to me because I... simply don't see those games as a trilogy to begin with

They're just individual games each, they don't really have a cohesion tying them together like the normal trilogy does... They are very different from each other in many ways and it doesn't really feel like they "belong" together. AJ is kinda a "soft reboot" of the series, a "trilogy opener", but the next game after that isn't as much of a direct sequel as it is... another soft reboot, and it's not really a "trilogy middlepoint" it's its own completely different thing that might as well be also starting an arc of its own.

Individually (at least imo, forgive me for my garbage tastes...) I think they're all great games, but as a trilogy? I don't even think they were even designed as one. I have a hard time imagining Capcom actually changing all the assets to match a single artstyle, for example. I think they'd just individually port each one like they've been doing until now. What would it even be called? "Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy except Wright gets more playable time and only one of those games is actually Apollo's"? "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy 2"? "Ace Attorney of the Future"? "Ace Attorney Beyond"? (please be that one) "Ace Attorney: The games that didn't want to but had to be Phoenix's again Trilogy"?
Ultimately though, they ARE Apollo's trilogy. That's why i'm not fond of them, because it's a complete mess.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I felt that Dual Destinies, despite it definitely going back to the well in some regards as a result of the unfortunate backlash to the changes in AJAA, was still a strong follow-up that managed to look at the ways the series had evolved and the story elements it introduced and made a great follow-up.

I actually remember the AJ backlash in real-time - I've been in the fandom since JFA. It frustrated me even back then because I thought Apollo Justice was a flawed but extremely bold game with absolutely beautiful sprites and some of my favorite characters in the series including my favorite villain of all time. It had bigger issues with the pacing and the final confrontation feeling very weak but the way it showed that Phoenix could regress and even have a downward spiral was smart and really helped make his character super interesting, which is actually why I love him growing into a kindly Mia-esque mentor in DD. Unfortunately they reverted him even harder in SOJ, which is part of why outside of the brilliant case 2 it feels so disjointed....Seriously, Case 2 of SOJ is still one of my series' favorites and could've been in AJAA just fine. I thought it was awesome.

I think if they release a second collection they'd probably just call it something like Ace Attorney: Future Chronicles or something like that.

amageish

Smash Master
isnt that a pretty common thing in japanese pop culture? every time someone cross dresses everyone falls in love with them
It is certainly a common gag, but they usually don't commit to it quite this hard. Like, Rei finds "Ryutaro" attractive, but doesn't really change her mind when she learns "he's" her best friend. She continues to compliment her and even gets called out as a "tomboy" from the prosecution for it... Heck, she's so devoted that she can't even stop staring at her on the cover art. Come on Rei; you're supposed to be looking out into the distance like everyone else is!!!

aceattorneycover.png

And to be clear, I'm not trying to make any comments about canon, this is all ship-teasing and I know that Ryunosake/Susato have their fair share of ship-teasing as well, I just am surprised by the forwardness of Rei's... fondness for her best friend.

Anyway, I agree that AA4-6 aren't as well-crafted to be a trilogy as TGAA1-2 or AA1-3 are, but I also don't think that mattes much for bundling them together. Its common for video game collections to bundle games that don't even share a continuity; I don't think its too weird to bundle three games that do not have perfect thematic and character follow-through.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Ultimately though, they ARE Apollo's trilogy. That's why i'm not fond of them, because it's a complete mess.
Are they though? What kind of "Apollo" trilogy gives Wright more playable time than... well... Apollo?
We can call them the "Apollo" trilogy by default, as in "the three games where Apollo shows up", but they are not Apollo's equivalent to Phoenix's trilogy, a set of cohesive games designed around him being the main playable character of a continuous plot that focuses on him. It's obvious that, to a certain point, they tried to do that, but couldn't. And the end result is "the Phoenix Wright trilogy that tried to be Apollo's"

For me, I don't need the "trilogy" itself to be solid as such in order to like the games individually. DD, for example, I think is a great game on its own (I've replayed it more times than any other game except PW) even though as a sequel... it couldn't be any worse. But if the games were gonna be packed as a trilogy, I'd rather have them feel as one, and they certainly don't to me. Again, not because they're "bad" (I love those games) but because they don't really belong together.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Are they though? What kind of "Apollo" trilogy gives Wright more playable time than... well... Apollo?
We can call them the "Apollo" trilogy by default, as in "the three games where Apollo shows up", but they are not Apollo's equivalent to Phoenix's trilogy, a set of cohesive games designed around him being the main playable character of a continuous plot that focuses on him. It's obvious that, to a certain point, they tried to do that, but couldn't. And the end result is "the Phoenix Wright trilogy that tried to be Apollo's"

For me, I don't need the "trilogy" itself to be solid as such in order to like the games individually. DD, for example, I think is a great game on its own (I've replayed it more times than any other game except PW) even though as a sequel... it couldn't be any worse. But if the games were gonna be packed as a trilogy, I'd rather have them feel as one, and they certainly don't to me. Again, not because they're "bad" (I love those games) but because they don't really belong together.
Man DD is a game i really dont like, mainly because it feels like it teases us by giving each of the main cast of Apollo justice something to work with but then doing nothing with it.

Case 2, the rather of Trucy's friend Is defended by Apollo, you'd think Trucy would be a bit More involved here. But nah.

Case 3, Klaviers mentor dies, you'd think he would be More involved. Nope.

Case 4 and 5 apollo's friend gets killed and he has a falling out with the agency for a while. But We arent given a reason to care because we font know anything abouts apollo's friend.

The only thing that's followed up on Is Phoenix getting His badge back, which frankly i feel should have been a thing in the third part of apollo's trilogy, not the second.

Heres just enough here to make it a second Apollo game but the execution ****ing sucks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
has anyone else noticed that all the defence attorneys in the series (except mia) end up against someone from their past. nick - edgeworth. apollo - nahyuta. athena - blackquill. ryu - kazuma. its becoming a bit formulaic

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I can understand what you're saying. For me, the reason I'd want them in a collection is mostly so it's easy to recommend to people and also it establishes an easy play order for a new player (Trilogy, Future Chronicles, TGAA Chronicles) though I do admit my recommended play order is the DS versions of 1-4, AAI1, AAI2, DD, SOJ, TGAAC, with the Layton crossover sprinkled in whenever you wanna have a fun adventure.

It's tough because I get what you're saying - it's very different than the trilogy or TGAAC if just because of the distance between the three entries. It also doesn't help that we don't have an Investigations duology easily accessible to all yet as I feel those games very elegantly and subtly bridge the gaps between AJ and DD.

Top Bottom