• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

amageish

Smash Master
Oh I think that can be somewhat reasonably explained
I have 2 ideas to why this is the case, 1: When he first went to England he didn't really know what to expect and wasn't quite sure how to take it, this happened to the real Soseki Natsume too, he was told he was handsome for a [anti Japanese slur] and was unsure how to feel about it. The other is Ryunosuke having enough and choosing to stand up for himself more in that regard
I had thought of that too! And that is a good historical anecdote about Natsume; he must have had a challenging time there. The thing I find odd about that prospect is that Ryunosuke does react during TGAA2-2, but didn't during TGAA1-5, in spite of it being chronologically after TGAA2-2...

i found susato's character to be rather flat
Relative to Ryunosuke, her internal conflict wraps up a lot earlier (her sense of justice and morals seems fairly fully-formed once she recouvers from her breakdown at the end of TGAA1), but I still think she grows a lot as a person across the games.

When we first meet her, she seems to generally have a lack of socialization? Obviously she's being cold to Ryunosuke as she thinks he is a murderer, but she also doesn't seem to quite understand sarcasm and generally acts fairly straight-laced, apart from her fangirling over Sholmes. By the end of the game, she's much quippier and much more relaxed all the time.

Only thing about her that I felt fell a little short was her relationship with Rei, as I mentioned. It just isn't entirely practical to be like "Susato has a best friend that is just like Ryunosuke's relationship with Kazuma, but while Kazuma's 'death' sparks Ryunosuke's journey and is mentioned throughout both games, Susato's friendship will be mentioned for exactly one chapter which has to both parallel TGAA1-1 and also kind of pre-emptively parallel TGAA2-5 with Rei asking Susato not to forget about her.... and also that chapter is a standard short starter case and about half of Rei's dialogue will be jokes about how she fins Susato dressed up as a man attractive."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I had thought of that too! And that is a good historical anecdote about Natsume; he must have had a challenging time there. The thing I find odd about that prospect is that Ryunosuke does react during TGAA2-2, but didn't during TGAA1-5, in spite of it being chronologically after TGAA2-2...

Relative to Ryunosuke, her internal conflict wraps up a lot earlier (her sense of justice and morals seems fairly fully-formed once she recouvers from her breakdown at the end of TGAA1), but I still think she grows a lot as a person across the games.

When we first meet her, she seems to generally have a lack of socialization? Obviously she's being cold to Ryunosuke as she thinks he is a murderer, but she also doesn't seem to quite understand sarcasm and generally acts fairly straight-laced, apart from her fangirling over Sholmes. By the end of the game, she's much quippier and much more relaxed all the time.

Only thing about her that I felt fell a little short was her relationship with Rei, as I mentioned. It just isn't entirely practical to be like "Susato has a best friend that is just like Ryunosuke's relationship with Kazuma, but while Kazuma's 'death' sparks Ryunosuke's journey and is mentioned throughout both games, Susato's friendship will be mentioned for exactly one chapter which has to both parallel TGAA1-1 and also kind of pre-emptively parallel TGAA2-5 with Rei asking Susato not to forget about her.... and also that chapter is a standard short starter case and about half of Rei's dialogue will be jokes about how she fins Susato dressed up as a man attractive."
what i mean was the more stoic aspects of her character seems so unemotional, especially in a series where everyone is bat poop crazy. and it doesnt help that she keeps swapping into maya's personality, had it been just that it would have been fine, ryu's got the same personality as his descendent, but switching between the two feels inconsistent

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I kinda got the impression that Ryu is supposed to be goofy one and Susato the serious one.

Sort of flipping the usual partner dynamic in the series.

amageish

Smash Master
what i mean was the more stoic aspects of her character seems so unemotional, especially in a series where everyone is bat poop crazy. and it doesnt help that she keeps swapping into maya's personality, had it been just that it would have been fine, ryu's got the same personality as his descendent, but switching between the two feels inconsistent
Idk, she seems pretty emotional to me, just more controlled in her emotions (well, minus when she flips people over). She uses that teary-eyed animation a lot, which is a nice subdued way to represent intense feelings without having to have a full AA-style breakdown.

I also found Iris to be much more of the Maya-alike in this game then Susato. Susato's a Herlock fangirl and can lost in her passion about that, but she doesn't really have Maya's vibes the rest of the time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Idk, she seems pretty emotional to me, just more controlled in her emotions (well, minus when she flips people over). She uses that teary-eyed animation a lot, which is a nice subdued way to represent intense feelings without having to have a full AA-style breakdown.

I also found Iris to be much more of the Maya-alike in this game then Susato. Susato's a Herlock fangirl and can lost in her passion about that, but she doesn't really have Maya's vibes the rest of the time.
well I just disagree

I don’t really have anything to say I just feel differently

I kinda got the impression that Ryu is supposed to be goofy one and Susato the serious one.

Sort of flipping the usual partner dynamic in the series.
does that still count when one of them has the exact same personality?

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Nintendo Direct has been announced, and we may be facing down the final Smash character. Here's hoping we hear an OBJECTION - I have to say, Ultimate would feel a little empty without a single Spirit/music track/any content from an iconic series so heavily associated with Nintendo handhelds.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's almost over, which is sad, but I can only hope that Phoenix gets in somehow, even just as a costume or spirit event. Fighter would be ideal, but there are so many characters it could be for that last spot so we just don't know.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Nintendo Direct has been announced, and we may be facing down the final Smash character. Here's hoping we hear an OBJECTION - I have to say, Ultimate would feel a little empty without a single Spirit/music track/any content from an iconic series so heavily associated with Nintendo handhelds.
Fully agreed, Phoenix is just like Classic Megaman to me. He feels like a Nintendo thing even though Nintendo never owned his series.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Before the fated hour is upon us, if it's not the Wright time, does Nick have a shot in the next Smash? His Capcom competition will have increased tenfold with characters like Dante becoming more requested. Will he be too niche for the next game?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Phoenix will always be popular, especially since the franchise is still going on. If anything I'd argue the Ultimate cycle made him even moreso. Yeah, Dante is also a character that could be in, but I see them as coexisting. Capcom properties are just too beloved.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Before the fated hour is upon us, if it's not the Wright time, does Nick have a shot in the next Smash? His Capcom competition will have increased tenfold with characters like Dante becoming more requested. Will he be too niche for the next game?
I think he has solid odds for the next game... It's likely gonna be a three way race between him, Dante and Monster Hunter, but seeing how we only got one Capcom character this time (and it was a clone) I don't have any issues imagining two (or maybe even 3, but who knows) Capcom characters next time

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If Capcom gets a character at all in the final spot, its gotta be Phoenix mainly because theyve blown through literally the rest of Capcoms popular catalogue in costumes and spirits. Ace Attorney is the only holdout.

If no AA content gets into ultimate though, i wouldnt be surprised if it shows up next game.

...Watch my entire post age like milk

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, tomorrow's the final chance. I really really really hope it's Phoenix, and I think he's a strong possibility, but there are just so many possible characters that I don't feel like I can confidently say it'll be any one of them. I can imagine the "the miracle never happen" memes that'll spread if it's someone else though lol

also, another (much less realistic) hope I have for tomorrow's Direct:
Ghost Trick Definitive Edition.png

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
The timing would be simply too perfect – TGAAC came out a few weeks ago and the 20th AA anniversary will be on October 12th... tomorrow might be the moment we've all been waiting for... I really think the miracle will happen!

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, not all third party games get spirit events (hence, first-parties as high-profile as Luigi's Mansion 3 have missed out), so I am not currently filled with that much confidence, but hey: Ace Attorney is one of my fave franchises and it'd be hype if it happened!

also, another (much less realistic) hope I have for tomorrow's Direct:
I really wish the big Capcom leak didn't happen so I could have more hope for spontaneous announcements like this haha... That game really needs to be on modern hardware.

TheRebornExpert

Smash Rookie
So if a Smash reveal does happen, do you think it will be shown right at the beginning of the Direct or as a surprise reveal right before the end? Maybe somewhere in the middle of the presentation?

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
So if a Smash reveal does happen, do you think it will be shown right at the beginning of the Direct or as a surprise reveal right before the end? Maybe somewhere in the middle of the presentation?
Im thinking at the beginning. That seems to have been the trend the past few times. I honestly wish it was later in the direct to build more suspense

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer they pull the bandaid off early and show it at the start. The end should be reserved for hype game reveals I think.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
If a smash reveal does happen at all, I'd expect it at the beginning. As far as I think I remember, the more hype kinda characters usually get revealed at the end of their respective directs, after all or most of the other announcements are done, whereas less known or less hyped characters are usually put at the start of their directs (probably so people aren't left with the relatively underwhelming smash announcement's taste in their mouths and are instead left thinking about the announcements for other games, which would usually be more.... "memorable").

Whoever the character is, I'm really not expecting anyone 100% mainstream for the last character (smash reveals never really end with a bang), especially if it does happen today. I mean, if the character was gonna be someone really mainstream that everyone would be hyped about, they probably would either have shown it at E3 or save it for the game awards. A september Nintendo direct feels like the exact kind of place to show a relatively "obscure" and unimpactful character, so basically they'd like to get done with that quickly and move on to other stuff that they'd want people to focus on more.

Phoenix is a bizarre case where he's pretty much in a spot between not being mainstream and not being obscure, so I think he could be a fitting choice for either this direct (which is a relatively small event) and the game awards. Basically if the reveal happens today (which to me would suggest a small character) Phoenix kinda fits in as a "high-tier small character", but if it doesn't happen and it's revealed at the game awards, then he also still fits as a "low-tier big character".

Still, there's just too much competition, I don't have very high hopes rn.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
At the very end of the Nintendo Direct they show an updated "Everyone is Here" trailer with every DLC character up until Kazuya. At the very end of the trailer the screen goes black and we hear a loud "OBJECTION!!!" + a few seconds of Phoenix Wright joining the battle. The screen goes black again and the date for the "Sakurai Presents: Phoenix" is revealed.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
If a smash reveal does happen at all, I'd expect it at the beginning. As far as I think I remember, the more hype kinda characters usually get revealed at the end of their respective directs, after all or most of the other announcements are done, whereas less known or less hyped characters are usually put at the start of their directs (probably so people aren't left with the relatively underwhelming smash announcement's taste in their mouths and are instead left thinking about the announcements for other games, which would usually be more.... "memorable").

Whoever the character is, I'm really not expecting anyone 100% mainstream for the last character (smash reveals never really end with a bang), especially if it does happen today. I mean, if the character was gonna be someone really mainstream that everyone would be hyped about, they probably would either have shown it at E3 or save it for the game awards. A september Nintendo direct feels like the exact kind of place to show a relatively "obscure" and unimpactful character, so basically they'd like to get done with that quickly and move on to other stuff that they'd want people to focus on more.

Phoenix is a bizarre case where he's pretty much in a spot between not being mainstream and not being obscure, so I think he could be a fitting choice for either this direct (which is a relatively small event) and the game awards. Basically if the reveal happens today (which to me would suggest a small character) Phoenix kinda fits in as a "high-tier small character", but if it doesn't happen and it's revealed at the game awards, then he also still fits as a "low-tier big character".

Still, there's just too much competition, I don't have very high hopes rn.
The only character I can remember revealed towards the end of the direct was Banjo and that direct had two fighters. Also Ridley in 2018 but that was a smash focused direct. I could be not remembering correctly.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It's been a while since I posted in here, but Phoenix Wright is still my most wanted character by far. Seeing that I wrote an analysis for Source Gaming about Phoenix's chances over five years ago, today feels like a culmination of a long awaited answer; will Phoenix Wright join Smash? Of course, he always has a chance in the future. However, with how much Capcom content has been crammed into Ultimate, it would be frustrating if Ace Attorney was deliberately left out of Smash Ultimate completely.

The reasons I want Phoenix Wright also extend to reasons outside of the game; namely, the fact that his whole niche is coming out on top from dire situations. Comebacks are some of the most fun I have playing in Smash, so an entire character that's defined by comebacks could make for a silly playstyle. There's also the fact that Phoenix tends to defeat "prodigies" that have much more experience than him. In other words, upsets. As someone that frequents Smash tournaments, Phoenix Wright embodies the spirit of brackets perfectly, and it would be hilarious to have a character in the game that metamorphically represents the struggles of competing in tournaments.

There's also the fact that I just simply love the Ace Attorney games. The music would be excellent to have in Smash, the Courtroom could be an interesting stage, and Phoenix Wright would be one of the most expressive characters in the game. Ace Attorney would also gain a lot of being in Smash, becoming more mainstream and motivating Capcom to focus on Ace Attorney more. I've been waiting for Ace Attorney 7 for years, and having Phoenix Wright in Smash coincide with an Ace Attorney 7 announcement would be a massive push for the franchise. The miracle can happen, and the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over. If Phoenix Wright isn't in Smash, Ace Attorney 7 could still happen regardless. But Phoenix Wright in Smash has been my biggest character want since King K. Rool got in, and hopefully we're rewarded today. I guess we'll find out in a couple of hours.

Heoj

Smash Ace
damn, assuming we get a reveal, just wanna cement my hope for phoenix here

Top Bottom