• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, at this point the biggest thing against Phoenix is simply the fact that there's just one more slot. Makes me a bit sad because he's got almost everything else going for him and would be one of the likeliest characters right now if we just had more DLC coming
i feel like weve said that a few times. could just be me

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how many characters are still possible though, I'm sure there's a lot, but like... Ninja Gaiden and Halo and Dante deconfirmed... Then there's cases like Crash where I guess is still possible but would be really weird not to show at E3 so I really think he's out unfortunately, he would have made my buddies and lots of other folks happy, but uhh yeah, or like Chun-Li who would make for a great base game addition, but as our last DLC, being another fighting game character right after Kazuya and not really adding anything, same gimmick as Ryu Ken and Terry where she can cancel moves into others, all she really has is being an icon, uhh... Or Waluigi, not bringing much to the table with a spirit board or stage or music, and being an assist trophy... While Disney likes money I think the real problem with Sora is that he hangs out with Donald and Goofy a lot, and sure, he doesn't have to bring them, but then he can't really be himself and he's weirdly limited, like no Mickey keychain on his key, he's just too close to uh "4th parties"... I guess I'm just getting at the fact that we've got a lot of names thrown around that we know now the last one isn't ganna be and other names I at least feel can be safely ruled out. After all that...

At the moment I feel like Phoenix has a good shot, Cinderace has a good shot, uhhhh... and beyond that... I'm probably forgetting so many that seem like they have a fine chance... oh, Monokuma actually has a fine chance, yeah. Aaand........like maybe Tails or Eggman I guess? Oh that Shin Megami Tensei person from the new one coming up, people were talking about them and how Jack Frost isn't a spirit and all, so I guess them... Hm, yeah, I dunno, I feel if I asked who the "frontrunners" are people would still say Ninja Gaiden and Crash or a Pokemon. Phoenix really has one of the most solid shots right now and people are ganna start talking about him more, but hey, I only visit around sometimes, maybe I'm forgetting something important, maybe I'm out of the loop, I just don't think I'm being too biased...? My hopes are up yeah, but uh, why shouldn't they be...? Phoenix hasn't gotten a mii or spirits or any word of deconfirmation while (I think) also being big enough to have gotten any of those forms of acknowledgement while lots of others have sooo...

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how many characters are still possible though, I'm sure there's a lot, but like... Ninja Gaiden and Halo and Dante deconfirmed... Then there's cases like Crash where I guess is still possible but would be really weird not to show at E3 so I really think he's out unfortunately, he would have made my buddies and lots of other folks happy, but uhh yeah, or like Chun-Li who would make for a great base game addition, but as our last DLC, being another fighting game character right after Kazuya and not really adding anything, same gimmick as Ryu Ken and Terry where she can cancel moves into others, all she really has is being an icon, uhh... Or Waluigi, not bringing much to the table with a spirit board or stage or music, and being an assist trophy... While Disney likes money I think the real problem with Sora is that he hangs out with Donald and Goofy a lot, and sure, he doesn't have to bring them, but then he can't really be himself and he's weirdly limited, like no Mickey keychain on his key, he's just too close to uh "4th parties"... I guess I'm just getting at the fact that we've got a lot of names thrown around that we know now the last one isn't ganna be and other names I at least feel can be safely ruled out. After all that...

At the moment I feel like Phoenix has a good shot, Cinderace has a good shot, uhhhh... and beyond that... I'm probably forgetting so many that seem like they have a fine chance... oh, Monokuma actually has a fine chance, yeah. Aaand........like maybe Tails or Eggman I guess? Oh that Shin Megami Tensei person from the new one coming up, people were talking about them and how Jack Frost isn't a spirit and all, so I guess them... Hm, yeah, I dunno, I feel if I asked who the "frontrunners" are people would still say Ninja Gaiden and Crash or a Pokemon. Phoenix really has one of the most solid shots right now and people are ganna start talking about him more, but hey, I only visit around sometimes, maybe I'm forgetting something important, maybe I'm out of the loop, I just don't think I'm being too biased...? My hopes are up yeah, but uh, why shouldn't they be...? Phoenix hasn't gotten a mii or spirits or any word of deconfirmation while (I think) also being big enough to have gotten any of those forms of acknowledgement while lots of others have sooo...
I agree with a lot of these points. Crash definitely feels like an E3 or Game Awards character (though I don't think they'd wait THAT long). Phoenix also feels like the best frontrunner for Capcom, although Virgil has a small chance considering the Heiachi mii and Kazuya.

Valve has a good chance of showing up with Gordon Freeman, and I don't see many people talking about him. He'd be a really decent choice for the shooter rep and bring some absolute bangers. There also was an interview where Sakurai talked fondly about Half-Life 2. Fits figure theory too.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I agree with a lot of these points. Crash definitely feels like an E3 or Game Awards character (though I don't think they'd wait THAT long). Phoenix also feels like the best frontrunner for Capcom, although Virgil has a small chance considering the Heiachi mii and Kazuya.

Valve has a good chance of showing up with Gordon Freeman, and I don't see many people talking about him. He'd be a really decent choice for the shooter rep and bring some absolute bangers. There also was an interview where Sakurai talked fondly about Half-Life 2. Fits figure theory too.
Oh, Vergil? If anyone I'd guess Nero, but everyone I know that's played DMC says it'd be weird to get anyone instead of Dante anyway, but hm! I know he got some DLC episode but yeah I just don't know enough

Oh yeah, huh, I mean, another western character so I'd think they'd do E3, but possible. I personally prefer Portal when it comes to Valve, but despite how cool and creative it could get I can see Portals having a lot of uhh trouble loading, technical stuff...

It's probably dumb of me but I'm personally counting out a lot of western characters cause of the E3 thing... It's the best way to reach out to a large chunk of people that are in the demographic for that hypothetical character, people that kinda don't even check on Smash that much I guess? There was this IGN twitter post asking people what last Smash DLC character would make em lose their minds and one guy was like "Ooh they should put Kratos and Sephiroth" and someone responded like "Sephiroth got in, like a while ago" and he was just like "Really!" haha ahh I guess that's just one goofy example, but there's lots of examples even there talking about Goku with like...like unaware why there might be issues, and I saw that a lot in Kazuya reactions too, it pulled in people that didn't know much about Smash, cause it was E3! There's lots of people that don't watch dedicated presentations or Nintendo Directs, but still request stuff for Smash, hmm...

Oh, but I guess a western character I think big enough and big enough in Japan too to where I still think they've got a good shot is Frisk from Undertale. Many characters I think "Well why not show em at E3?" but Undertale's uhh, not as big, but kinda closer to that Minecraft level where it's like "Oh, this'll shake the world whenever they feel like dropping it" haha

I think the overall reaction to Phoenix'd be "Oh thats cute!" or laughs "He hits with paper?? Thats so funny ha!" like, generally liked definitely yeah, but the Sans costume alone got so much "NO WAYYY" yknow? Like I'm sure they'd be some tweets like "No way I can actually sue Minecraft Steve bro LOL" but I don't think there'd be a lot of "HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE HOW IS THIS OUR TIMELINE" So with Undertale being a worldwide phenomenon, the reception from the sans costume, the unique gameplay it could bring, yeah, Frisk is one I forgot to mention that has a good shot too

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Phoenix also feels like the best frontrunner for Capcom, although Virgil has a small chance considering the Heiachi mii and Kazuya.
I personally simply can't imagine Vergil getting added over Dante, it just doesn't make any sense. Even Nero sounds more realistic.

By the way what's figure theory?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Figure theory is just that they usually get figures of fighters after they've been decided they'll be in the game for the sake of reference material while creating their models. I don't think it helps narrow things down much in terms of who could be a fighter given how many of them get fairly detailed ones, and even then if the subbing team didn't make a goof up it doesn't sound like it's a guaranteed part of the process.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Figure theory is just that they usually get figures of fighters after they've been decided they'll be in the game for the sake of reference material while creating their models. I don't think it helps narrow things down much in terms of who could be a fighter given how many of them get fairly detailed ones, and even then if the subbing team didn't make a goof up it doesn't sound like it's a guaranteed part of the process.
The Phoenix Wright Figma was released back in 2017, well before both fighter passes were finalized

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I personally simply can't imagine Vergil getting added over Dante, it just doesn't make any sense. Even Nero sounds more realistic.

By the way what's figure theory?
I don't play DMC so I completely forgot about Nero. Vergil is just what came to mind lol

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The Phoenix Wright Figma was released back in 2017, well before both fighter passes were finalized
even before that Capcom had one for I think the Dual Destinies special edition in Japan or something? Either way, it didn't sound like a character needs a figure for them to be choosable (I don't think any Arms character has an official one? unsure on Byleth), and even if it mattered it wouldn't really narrow down things much, a lot of characters have official toys or figures to work with.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how many characters are still possible though, I'm sure there's a lot, but like... Ninja Gaiden and Halo and Dante deconfirmed...
Technically no. 343i community director said he has no idea deal going between higher up. Yes, he said that during FP2.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Technically no. 343i community director said he has no idea deal going between higher up. Yes, he said that during FP2.
Oh right, the community director said he wasn't aware of anything higher up and encouraged fans to keep asking for Chief, that's right, okay. I still think E3 would have been the time for him so I ain't personally expecting him, but yeah, that's not a hard deconfirm yup

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well if Phoenix ain't in I kinda feel like the best we can get is a spirit event, no mii fits very well... best fit would be brawler and he's got his finger pointing like Cuphead so his fsmash is a point kill and you can pretend he's saying objection? If we did get a mii though, and iiif that mii had music, I know cornered would be a good choice, very iconic, very hype, but I...nah. I was ganna say I think Turnabout Sisters should get it, but nah, yeah, it would have to be Cornered 2001

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I wonder, if Phoenix got in the game, would you guys rather have him keep his gimmicks from UMVC3 or should he get a whole new moveset altogether?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I liked the idea of Phoenix using evidence as part of his moveset, but the gathering of evidence itself, style switching, those magic projectiles he had and cornered mode I'd rather not see.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I wonder, if Phoenix got in the game, would you guys rather have him keep his gimmicks from UMVC3 or should he get a whole new moveset altogether?
I didn't mind UMVC3's interpretation of Phoenix, but I'd rather Sakurai create something new even if it will probably share some similarities. I'm not big on throwing the evidence, and want to see even more of Phoenix's animations and the point-and-click gameplay style incorporated, plus I don't want him to only reflect the original trilogy as I love a lot of things in the second trilogy.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Kazuya is the main protagonist of the original Tekken and is one of the 3 characters the story revolves around.

I don't really see any logic in choosing Vergil over Dante. Vergil is less popular, less important, has less relevance to the DMC series, has less moveset potential and is far less well known. It's very different to Min Min or Kazuya's situations.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, yeah, the Dante mii, but also at the time I took the Halo community director's message of "I hope Chief gets in someday, let's keep letting them know we want it!" as a deconfirmation when now I know he wouldn't be part of the discussion. I still think if Halo was in then it'd be shown at E3, but I guess he's not totally out, and I also took the interview from the Team Ninja lead "We're still waiting for an invite" as a deconfirmation, but I guess he's not totally out either. I still personally think they're both out, but yeah

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
With the fact that Arthur is a mini costume, I’m pretty much 100% certain we are gonna get SOME Ace Attorney content eventually, I guess the question is, what? I’m gonna be honest though, it’s either gonna be him as a fighter or a spirit purely because I think Phoenix getting mii’d next wave seems quite unlikely with Dante randomly coming in as a mii costume last wave.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
With the fact that Arthur is a mini costume, I’m pretty much 100% certain we are gonna get SOME Ace Attorney content eventually, I guess the question is, what? I’m gonna be honest though, it’s either gonna be him as a fighter or a spirit purely because I think Phoenix getting mii’d next wave seems quite unlikely with Dante randomly coming in as a mii costume last wave.
The safest bet I'd say is a Spirit event for Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.
Though if it's just that, that would suck because Phoenix Wright wouldn't be a part of the Spirit event, and having AA content in Smash without him just feels wrong.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The safest bet I'd say is a Spirit event for Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.
Though if it's just that, that would suck because Phoenix Wright wouldn't be a part of the Spirit event, and having AA content in Smash without him just feels wrong.
Agreed, having Ryunosuke but no Phoenix would just be bizarre. He would make a good Mii costume with Phoenix, though!

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's a decent chance we'll find out in 8-10 weeks from now as that'll be the deadline for the September direct.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Way I see it, the Great Ace Attorney games are releasing with the trilogy again, so now's a chance to put both Ryunosuke and Phoenix and a couple others as spirits. If they leave Phoenix and Maya and Edgeworth out just to give them an event randomly later after CP11 (cause I imagine they'd use the most well-known trilogy versions anyway instead of a hypothetical Ace Attorney 7) then they're purposefully stringing us along just to keep people guessing and make things less predictable at our expense. Which is kind of what happened to Golden Sun fans for example, though I think that was just horrible timing and accidents (like that item, the healing sapling thing, that only appeared in an advertisement that looked like it was from Golden Sun) and not um...meant to be as painful for my buddies that wanted Golden Sun as it was...

I...feel like we can rule out Ryunosuke being a fighter and I think we can rule out only Great Ace Attorney getting spirits, so...way I see it is uhh...maybe we just get no spirit event, maybe Ace Attorney just gets absolutely no content in smash. But also maybe...is if Great Ace Attorney gets a spirit event with just Great Ace Attorney characters... then either Phoenix is a fighter or they're purposefully (or maybe inadvertently) stringing us along and we'll get some trilogy spirits later or maybe even a mii? Since Golden Sun fans got strung along since they seemingly thought they'd love to see his updated assist trophy at the very end, maybe they're doing a similar thing for us thinking we're about to love this mii in the last wave or something, or they're just saving it cause it'll be closer to TGS?

Yeah "purposefully strung along" is too negative, I don't think they try to do that to anyone, but Golden Sun fans accidentally got it the worst combined with things they didn't even intend like the item thing. In the end they did save Isaac for the end to show off his updated assist trophy, leaving fans hoping till that last direct where they also found out Piranha Plant would be more than an assist trophy... I like the plant, but I can't look at him the same haha Anyway yeah, looks like something kinda similar already happened with Dante, finally deconfirmed after being so expected for like 2 years and the timing wasn't really tied to anything either, no earlier spirit event to soften that for folks, uhh... to be honest, I'm expecting Phoenix is our last fighter, but this is just how things go...if they wanna let us down easy we'll see Ryunosuke and Phoenix in a spirit event this month, I guess...? ...I probably rambled in circles and just woke up so sorry if this was a mess to read pwshh

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I think it's pretty safe to say that, if there IS an Ace Attorney spirit event around the Chronicles release date, it would be an overall Ace Attorney spirit event, not just a GAA one. Just because the game that's releasing is Chronicles, doesn't mean they could ONLY make an exclusively Chronicles-themed event. Sure, that may be the specific game they're promoting, but there's zero reason why they can't acknowledge the series as a whole. People are assuming a Spirit Event "for" Chronicles means a SPECIFICALLY and EXCLUSIVELY Chronicles event, but it's perfectly possible (and several thousand times more logical) that they make an overall Ace Attorney event, which happens during the release of what's still an Ace Attorney game, nonetheless.

Apollo is nowhere to be seen in the trilogy, but if the game that was releasing this month wasn't Chronicles but the trilogy, it would still be entirely possible to see Apollo in a spirit event. There's no reason why they have to limit themselves to JUST the characters from the specific recent game.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Regarding spirit events, have we seen one with more than 4 new spirits? Kinda makes me wonder if AA got one they might go with pairs of characters like Tekken. Like Phoenix & Maya, Edgeworth & Gumshoe (or Kay I guess), Apollo & Trucy and Ryunosuke with I think it's Susato his assistant equivalent?

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I think it's pretty safe to say that, if there IS an Ace Attorney spirit event around the Chronicles release date, it would be an overall Ace Attorney spirit event, not just a GAA one. Just because the game that's releasing is Chronicles, doesn't mean they could ONLY make an exclusively Chronicles-themed event. Sure, that may be the specific game they're promoting, but there's zero reason why they can't acknowledge the series as a whole. People are assuming a Spirit Event "for" Chronicles means a SPECIFICALLY and EXCLUSIVELY Chronicles event, but it's perfectly possible (and several thousand times more logical) that they make an overall Ace Attorney event, which happens during the release of what's still an Ace Attorney game, nonetheless.

Apollo is nowhere to be seen in the trilogy, but if the game that was releasing this month wasn't Chronicles but the trilogy, it would still be entirely possible to see Apollo in a spirit event. There's no reason why they have to limit themselves to JUST the characters from the specific recent game.
The one thing that makes me worry about getting an event exclusively for Chronicles is the Bravely Default II spirit event. For Bravely Default II's release, we got two spirits tied exclusively to BD2 rather than including anything from Bravely Default or Bravely Second. Granted, Bravely Default isn't as long-running of a series as Ace Attorney, so the analogy isn't perfect.

Best possible outcome is still Phoenix coming in as a fighter, but I could see a GAA Chronicles spirit event as a possibility.
Regarding spirit events, have we seen one with more than 4 new spirits? Kinda makes me wonder if AA got one they might go with pairs of characters like Tekken. Like Phoenix & Maya, Edgeworth & Gumshoe (or Kay I guess), Apollo & Trucy and Ryunosuke with I think it's Susato his assistant equivalent?
Looking through the spirit list, the only event I see with more than 4 is the Tetris one, with 5. And yeah, there's definitely precedent for pairing up characters in spirit events -- that's what they did for the Bravely Default II, Mana, and Octopath events.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I haven't played TGAA so I don't know the characters that well, but if we somehow got a spirit event for the series in general I'd say Phoenix, Maya, Edgeworth and either Mia or Apollo would be safe bets. If they go with pairings, then
  • Nick & Maya
  • Edgeworth & Franziska?
  • Apollo & Trucy
  • Mia & Godot?

Mostly focusing on the original trilogy because well, that's how Capcom has usually operated and I would expect Sakurai to go with the most popular characters.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ive been calling him just Ryu for so long that i dont think i'll ever be able to call him by his full name. lol

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Same, can't wait to play it. I'm glad I waited and didn't play the fan translation, therefore it'll be a completely new experience for me. I wonder where on the list of my favourite Ace Attorney games those two spinoffs will end on.

Top Bottom